What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick is Overrated in FF (1 Viewer)

dropping kaep for geno. it has to be done
Stop.
Not that I'd do it (and I assume he's kidding), but I didn't see the fuss in running out to pick up some kid from Nevada midway through last season either.

Values change. Kaep being a very replaceable fantasy QB from here on out or being worse than Geno wouldn't be some huge shock.

Unless we're talking about guys that we know are going to throw 4500 yards and 35 TDs every single year, the QB values can be fickle.

I'm still good with picking him--but as the last starting QB he shouldn't have to carry my team. Here's to hoping for a replay of his second half last year. :banned:

Trading for him this week
Should do fine against the Rams but he is limited, part of that comes from the lack of fire power around him. I'd start him vs the Rams and if he doesn't get 3 tds combined rushing or passing the guy is a Qb2 with upside.

Last edited by a moderator:
he's a real life Willie Beamen. had some good games last year and all of a sudden he's in every commercial I see.

Kaep is a perfect example of how a QB makes his weapons and not the other way around. The Rams can keep thinking Bradford needs weapons to excel; I'm sure that will be the answer.
No, this is a perfect example of the Oline making all of the weapons better. SF has the best Oline in football and Keap has all day to throw with clean lanes every time. Keap is certainly impressive but any starting QB in the NFL would look good behind that SF wall.This week will provide a better gage IMO. GB has a bad, I mean BAD D. Sea should be a challenge at least.
You saw a different game than I did. I agree the 9ers O-line is top notch, but there were several plays the Packers made Kaepernick shift in the pocket or outright abandon it. And they were very good against the 9ers RB's between the tackles.

In my mind we saw a classic example of why the read option works even when it doesn't work. The Packers were so concerned with setting the edge, that's what created the passing lanes is the threat of Kaepernick getting loose.
Keap simply hasn't progressed the way he should have this offseason IMO. I watched today's game pretty closely and this guy bailed on clean pockets way too often. He is scared of throwing into man coverage for some reason. When read one isn't there he gets flustered. Vs zone, totally different guy. He wings into the windows of a zone D as well as anyone in the league. People will say, but his WRs suck! That maybe true but he gave up on them and they were open at times.

The blueprint seems pretty simple. Sea showed it and Indy followed by using it today. Press their WR, disrupt timing, play man and just contain him as he will break the pocket and get nervous. This should be easy for Keap to correct but we'll see if he does. The fact that Indy, a pretty weak D IMO was able to execute this about as well as Sea is pretty concerning.

KellysHeroes said:
not sure why they didn't run Gore & Hunter into the ground today, was working so well in the beginning
SF should be running the ball 70% of the time if you ask me. It is mind boggling.

Love watching Harbaugh get pelted by reporters. Does he think is he shows his teeth they will be afraid to ask him questions?

Bit of a watershed moment with him coming back to NO where he had one of his first big starts.

As a Saints fan I would love to see Vern sit this one out but it sounds like he will play.

Bit of a watershed moment with him coming back to NO where he had one of his first big starts.

As a Saints fan I would love to see Vern sit this one out but it sounds like he will play.
Didn't Vernon shred the Saints last time?

For Kaepernick, he MUST have Vernon. Without him, he is too limited.

Didn't Vernon shred the Saints last time?For Kaepernick, he MUST have Vernon. Without him, he is too limited.
Not against the Saints. This week he MUST have someone other than Vernon. Saints are good enough to take VD away (or at least limit him). He needs someone like Boldin/Manningham to step up with 7-95-1. That, and Kaepernick needs to trust it when he sees daylight and take off. The Saints can get undisciplined with the pass rush. If he stays in the pocket that D will eat him alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints are good enough to take VD away (or at least limit him). He needs someone like Boldin/Manningham to step up with 7-95-1. That, and Kaepernick needs to trust it when he sees daylight and take off where he can. The Saints can get undisciplined with the pass rush. If he stays in the pocket that D will eat him alive.
As long as the saints wear protection they should be good.

Saints are good enough to take VD away (or at least limit him). He needs someone like Boldin/Manningham to step up with 7-95-1. That, and Kaepernick needs to trust it when he sees daylight and take off where he can. The Saints can get undisciplined with the pass rush. If he stays in the pocket that D will eat him alive.
As long as the saints wear protection they should be good.
Hilarious. I bet they love you at your middle school.

Rotoworld:

Colin Kaepernick's career QBR with Vernon Davis on the field is 77.7 and without Davis it's 16.1.

Davis left Sunday's loss to Carolina with a concussion and Kaepernick crumbled. There were other issues, of course, but these numbers highlight just how badly the 49ers need Davis on the field. He's the only receiver they have capable of threatening a defense over the top. Davis is tentatively on track to play in Sunday's game against the Saints.

Source: ESPN.com

Kaep will look like a different guy with Crabtree back.
I've long thought Kaepernick was overvalued in FF and on the actual football field. To your point though, what if Crabtree looks like a different guy when he returns? If he doesn't get separation Kaepernick's one read and run approach is going to yield the same results.

I've long thought Kaepernick was overvalued in FF and on the actual football field. To your point though, what if Crabtree looks like a different guy when he returns? If he doesn't get separation Kaepernick's one read and run approach is going to yield the same results.
That's a valid concern with such a serious injury. But I tend to think that even if Crabtree is only 80% of his former athleticism, thats enough for Kaep to step up his game.

Crabtree certainly won't return 100% - not immediately. To answer your question though, it's not really about Crabtree vs. pre-ACL Crabtree. It's more Crabtree vs. Kyle Williams, the 9er's 2nd leading WR on the year. He of 12 receptions and current unemployment. And then the trickle-down effect of Manningham back in the slot...and the double-coverage that takes off of Boldin's plate...and...well, you get the point.

You have to look at the totality of how everyone's roles shift with the return of a talented player like Crabtree.

FantasyTrader said:
Neofight said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Crabtree certainly won't return 100% - not immediately. To answer your question though, it's not really about Crabtree vs. pre-ACL Crabtree. It's more Crabtree vs. Kyle Williams, the 9er's 2nd leading WR on the year. He of 12 receptions and current unemployment. And then the trickle-down effect of Manningham back in the slot...and the double-coverage that takes off of Boldin's plate...and...well, you get the point.You have to look at the totality of how everyone's roles shift with the return of a talented player like Crabtree.
Like I said, if Crabtree isn't getting separation, he will continue to struggle. Just my honest opinion; but my assessment of his play going back to last year has been consistent and fairly spot on.

FantasyTrader said:
Neofight said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Crabtree certainly won't return 100% - not immediately. To answer your question though, it's not really about Crabtree vs. pre-ACL Crabtree. It's more Crabtree vs. Kyle Williams, the 9er's 2nd leading WR on the year. He of 12 receptions and current unemployment. And then the trickle-down effect of Manningham back in the slot...and the double-coverage that takes off of Boldin's plate...and...well, you get the point.You have to look at the totality of how everyone's roles shift with the return of a talented player like Crabtree.
Like I said, if Crabtree isn't getting separation, he will continue to struggle. Just my honest opinion; but my assessment of his play going back to last year has been consistent and fairly spot on.
You mean when he went 85-1105-9?

FantasyTrader said:
Neofight said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
You mean when he went 85-1105-9?
Fairly certain Crabtree was getting separation then. Not at all certain what that has to do with the conversation.

In this thread - Crabtree returning will make Kap awesome!!!!!

In any Seahawks thread - Harvin returning won't make a difference for Wilson, Good QBs make receivers better, not the other way around, There will be no chemistry since they haven't practiced together, etc ., etc.

Not at all certain what that has to do with this conversation.

-----

I'm not sure what it has do with the conversation either. You're the one that brought up that he will "continue" to struggle. I took that to mean you felt he was struggling last year. Or do you mean that, because you've accurately assessed his play now for a year, you're an authority on how he will play coming back from this injury?

-----

I'm not sure what it has do with the conversation either. You're the one that brought up that he will "continue" to struggle. I took that to mean you felt he was struggling last year. Or do you mean that, because you've accurately assessed his play now for a year, you're an authority on how he will play coming back from this injury?
Read my posts again.

-----

Read my posts again.
No, I wasn't that interested the first time...carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread