What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (7 Viewers)

squistion said:
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 19h19 hours ago

Athletes for Impact, an advocacy group that includes #Seahawks DL Michael Bennett,

releases a statement supporting Colin Kaepernick in hopes of him signing with a team

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/930876846912212992

"It is now clear because of the courage and willingness to speak truth to power, Kaepernick has not been signed by any NFL team. As Seattle Seahawks star Michael Bennett said of Kaepernick, 'If you look at the quarterbacks in the NFL right now, out of the backups, I can't name one better than him...' Legendary athletes such as Muhammad Ali, Tommy Smith and John Carlos were disparaged by many in their day for using their platform to speak out against racism and injustice. Today their statues stand proudly in the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington D.C. and they are widely celebrated as truth tellers ahead of their time. It is time we start celebrating our truth tellers from the start.

"We support Kaepernick's decision to exercise his first amendment rights to protest and we call on all NFL owners, general managers and coaches with a positional need to summon the courage to sign Colin Kaepernick and to stand with us on the right side of history. No one should be denied employment for having the courage to follow their convictions and take action for equality and social justice."
Screw people like Bennett who have shown to be liars.  They are more part of the problem than the solution.  I don’t agree with Kaepernick’s assessment of police, but he hasn’t made false allegations.

I have no idea how anyone takes Bennett seriously anymore.

I just assume anything he posts is from Stormfront or Breitbart or the like.
Not so bad this time -- HT got the Larry Elder article from Townhall.com. Townhall bills itself a conservative site ... but a quick perusal seems to indicate that it is typically above the Breitbart-type fray**. And a site like Stormfront wouldn't have much use for Larry Elder.

** though I see an Ann Coulter column hosted there   :unsure:  

https://digiday.com/icymi/5-things-know-week-oaths-layoffs-colin-kaepernicks-absence-brand-campaigns/

5 things to know from this week: Oath’s layoffs, Colin Kaepernick’s absence from brand campaigns and more

[...]

Why big brands aren’t working with Colin Kaepernick

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick landed on the cover of GQ’s “Men of the Year” issue. But since Kaepernick — who has nearly 5 million followers across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter — knelt during the national anthem at NFL games in 2016 to protest police brutality and racism, he hasn’t appeared in campaigns or partnerships for major brands.

Potential reasons why Kaepernick isn’t teaming up with big brands:

- His actions divided audiences. “You are either with his belief system or not,” said Scott Davis, chief growth officer at brand and marketing consultancy Prophet.

- Brands could seem like they’re commercializing police brutality.

- Kaepernick doesn’t want to. As he put it when he started kneeling: “If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right.”

Kaepernick’s absence from such deals could be a good thing, though. “His followers see him as being purely motivated,” said Thomas Ordahl, chief strategy officer at brand consulting firm Landor. “To suddenly monetize on that could backfire. It could look like he’s gaming it all.”

https://digiday.com/icymi/5-things-know-week-oaths-layoffs-colin-kaepernicks-absence-brand-campaigns/

5 things to know from this week: Oath’s layoffs, Colin Kaepernick’s absence from brand campaigns and more

[...]

Why big brands aren’t working with Colin Kaepernick

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick landed on the cover of GQ’s “Men of the Year” issue. But since Kaepernick — who has nearly 5 million followers across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter — knelt during the national anthem at NFL games in 2016 to protest police brutality and racism, he hasn’t appeared in campaigns or partnerships for major brands.

Potential reasons why Kaepernick isn’t teaming up with big brands:

- His actions divided audiences. “You are either with his belief system or not,” said Scott Davis, chief growth officer at brand and marketing consultancy Prophet.

- Brands could seem like they’re commercializing police brutality.

- Kaepernick doesn’t want to. As he put it when he started kneeling: “If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right.”

Kaepernick’s absence from such deals could be a good thing, though. “His followers see him as being purely motivated,” said Thomas Ordahl, chief strategy officer at brand consulting firm Landor. “To suddenly monetize on that could backfire. It could look like he’s gaming it all.”
Probably the same reason Bob Griffin isn't doing subway commercials anymore 

Ari Gilberg‏ @arigilberg 3m3 minutes ago

Nathan Peterman has five interceptions in one half of football today.

Fun fact:

That’s one more interception than Colin Kaepernick had in 331 attempts ALL OF LAST SEASON.

But Colin Kaepernick isn’t talented enough to be in the NFL, right?

Ari Gilberg‏ @arigilberg 3m3 minutes ago

Nathan Peterman has five interceptions in one half of football today.

Fun fact:

That’s one more interception than Colin Kaepernick had in 331 attempts ALL OF LAST SEASON.

But Colin Kaepernick isn’t talented enough to be in the NFL, right?
Well he's not on a roster :shrug:

only 3 players knelt this weekend. I think it’s safe to say Don won yet again
Hey buddy, 6 players protested this weekend (so far). Still a higher number than before Trump went off.

BTW, Marshawn Lynch sat during the U.S. national anthem, but stood during the Mexican national anthem.

:yes:

Patrick Daugherty‏ @RotoPat 4h4 hours ago

Sure, Kap can actually complete passes at the NFL level, but hard to overstate

how valuable Tom Savage's anthem standing is to this team.
Fun fact:

Savage has led his team to as many wins this year as Colin did all last year. 

Another fun fact:

No team scored 31 points with Colin at QB the last two years. Macho Man Tom Savage accomplished that feat today.  

The President takes aim at Marshawn Lynch.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

Marshawn Lynch of the NFL’s Oakland Raiders stands for the Mexican Anthem

and sits down to boos for our National Anthem. Great disrespect!

Next time NFL should suspend him for remainder of season. 

Attendance and ratings way down.

The President takes aim at Marshawn Lynch.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

Marshawn Lynch of the NFL’s Oakland Raiders stands for the Mexican Anthem

and sits down to boos for our National Anthem. Great disrespect!

Next time NFL should suspend him for remainder of season. 

Attendance and ratings way down.
:lmao:

some people just don’t get it and never will . Totally tone deaf

Nick Jack Pappas @Pappiness 4h4 hours ago

Trump believes Marshawn Lynch should be suspended from his job,

but Alabama's Roy Moore, a sexual predator, can still run for his.

Nick Jack Pappas @Pappiness 4h4 hours ago

Trump believes Marshawn Lynch should be suspended from his job,

but Alabama's Roy Moore, a sexual predator, can still run for his.
One works for a private organization.  One is trying to be the representative for a group of people in a representative democracy.  If the people of Alabama feel a sexual predator represents them and their values, well that's certainly their right.  But equating the two does not help your position on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
One works for a private organization.  One is trying to be the representative for a group of people in a representative democracy.  If the people of Alabama feel a sexual predator represents them and their values, well that's certainly their right.  But equating the two does not help your position on this topic.
Indeed, not the same. The difference is black and white...

That's one difference.  Another difference is that Trump has no interest in the private organization he's attempting to influence, but is the de facto leader of the political party that has nominated Moore to the Senate.  One could very easily argue he has a greater obligation to weigh in on Moore than on the behavior of Lynch (or anyone in any private business, really).

That's one difference.  Another difference is that Trump has no interest in the private organization he's attempting to influence, but is the de facto leader of the political party that has nominated Moore to the Senate.  One could very easily argue he has a greater obligation to weigh in on Moore than on the behavior of Lynch (or anyone in any private business, really).
I agree.  I don't disagree with Trump when he said that it's up to the voters of Alabama to decide.  I would have liked to see him personally condemn the behavior also but well.....Trump.

Black and white as in racist?  Or black and white as in they are obviously different and you probably shouldn't have attempted to equate the two?  
Hmmm...let's see...in the past 24 hours Trump has attacked personally on Twitter two private citizens, Lavar Ball and Marshawn Lynch. Before that it was Jemele Hill and Colin Kaepernick. Wonder what all these people have in common?

Hmmm...let's see...in the past 24 hours Trump has attacked personally on Twitter two private citizens, Lavar Ball and Marshawn Lynch. Before that it was Jemele Hill and Colin Kaepernick. Wonder what all these people have in common?
You're trying to argue  and equate several things all at once.  I'm just telling you that comparing Trump's comments on Roy Moore to Trump's comments on Marshawn Lynch do not help your argument on the topic of this thread.

What do you think ? Please explain exactly what you mean by this. Not some google it answer. 

Marshawn Lynch is a lot of things, but I don't think he's seeking attention or trying to make a particularly serious statement.  He's not Colin Kaepernick.  He just DGAF.  Which is also fine by me.  

You're trying to argue  and equate several things all at once.  I'm just telling you that comparing Trump's comments on Roy Moore to Trump's comments on Marshawn Lynch do not help your argument on the topic of this thread.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I have seen many comments on social media, particularly from African Americans making the same point that I have. From the always outspoken and controversial Shaun King:

Shaun King‏Verified account @ShaunKing 5h5 hours ago

If you are struggling to understand why Trump has criticized LaVar Ball & Marshawn Lynch more than Roy Moore, it’s because conservatives have made it very clear that a white Republican pedophile bothers them far less than a Free Black Man.

Yeah, I don't have to go to Google or Twitter to say that I think that Donald Trump knows how to appeal to racists.  I wouldn't even call the appeals coded at this point. They're less dog whistle and more megaphone.  

If he doesn’t seek attention then why do a reality show
I would imagine for the huge amount of money they'll pay him.

Edit: This isn't some random person looking for 15 minutes of fame.  If someone offered me millions to do ten 15-minute episodes of something on facebook, I think I'd probably consider it.

For about ten seconds and then ask for a check.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread