What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (5 Viewers)

please... no. Just staph it.

According to TMZ Sports, a "high-ranking U.S. military official" cautioned the Ravens against signing free agent Colin Kaepernick before the 2017 season.

The Ravens had a quarterback need when Joe Flacco was nursing a back injury and Ryan Mallett was struggling mightily in training camp. Coach John Harbaugh reportedly sought "advice from some trusted friends," one being a "high-ranking" member of the U.S. military, who reportedly told Harbaugh that Kaepernick should only be signed if he agreed to follow a "set of specific guidelines," presumably including a warning against kneeling during the national anthem. Instead, the Ravens signed Thad Lewis, who hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL regular season game since 2013.
This has to be a troll. HAS TO.

Last edited by a moderator:
please... no. Just staph it.

This has to be a troll. HAS TO.
"Coach John Harbaugh reportedly sought "advice from some trusted friends," one being a "high-ranking" member of the U.S. military"

So Harbaugh had a friend that happened to be in the military and asked his/her personal advice. It isn't like the person was acting in any official capacity. Everyone has an opinion. It isn't like someone isn't going to just because of their chosen profession.

But, but, Ray Lewis said it was Nessa's tweet that kept Kaep from being signed by the Ravens...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/military-official-warned-ravens-signing-kaepernick-report-article-1.3857203

Military official cautioned John Harbaugh and Ravens about signing Colin Kaepernick: report 

The Ravens did not sign Colin Kaepernick last year because a high-ranking member of the military raised concerns about bringing the polarizing QB to Baltimore, according to a report.

When the Ravens were shopping for a QB last season when Joe Flacco went down, they seemed a likely landing spot for Kaepernick. But when head coach John Harbaugh, who has spoken highly about Kaepernick, sought the advice of some trusted friends on the matter, one military honcho reportedly told him it might not be such a good idea, according to TMZ.

According to the site, the unnamed official did not flat-out tell Harbaugh not to sign Kaepernick — who started the NFL's protest against racism and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem two years ago — but he did caution the coach that signing the free agent could present a difficult challenge if he continued to kneel.

He reportedly advised Harbaugh to create a team rule Kaepernick would have to abide by "if he wanted to keep his job," according to TMZ.

Instead, the Ravens signed Thad Lewis, who had not thrown an NFL pass in four years.

Jerry Jones is the only NFL owner who has said he would bench any of his players for taking a knee and it seems Harbaugh's military buddy advised creating a similar rule.

In September, Ravens legend Ray Lewis said the reason Kaepernick didn't have a job in Baltimore is because Kaepernick's girlfriend, Nessa Diab, was critical of Ravens management, publishing an incendiary post on social media in which she accused Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti of being a slave.

"We were talking about giving this kid an opportunity to get back in the National Football League," Lewis said on Inside the NFL. "I have been fighting for this kid behind the table like nobody has … Then, his girl goes out and puts out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed."

Lewis was exposed as one of the biggest hypocrites in sports last year when he was also critical of Kaepernick kneeling and advised him to ditch the protest, yet later in the season got down on two knees during the anthem.

Kaepernick accused the NFL of collusion last year when sub-par players like Thad Lewis got jobs while he continues to be out of football. His lawyers continue to build their case against the league.

But, but, Ray Lewis said it was Nessa's tweet that kept Kaep from being signed by the Ravens...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/military-official-warned-ravens-signing-kaepernick-report-article-1.3857203

Military official cautioned John Harbaugh and Ravens about signing Colin Kaepernick: report 

The Ravens did not sign Colin Kaepernick last year because a high-ranking member of the military raised concerns about bringing the polarizing QB to Baltimore, according to a report.

When the Ravens were shopping for a QB last season when Joe Flacco went down, they seemed a likely landing spot for Kaepernick. But when head coach John Harbaugh, who has spoken highly about Kaepernick, sought the advice of some trusted friends on the matter, one military honcho reportedly told him it might not be such a good idea, according to TMZ.

According to the site, the unnamed official did not flat-out tell Harbaugh not to sign Kaepernick — who started the NFL's protest against racism and police brutality by kneeling during the national anthem two years ago — but he did caution the coach that signing the free agent could present a difficult challenge if he continued to kneel.

He reportedly advised Harbaugh to create a team rule Kaepernick would have to abide by "if he wanted to keep his job," according to TMZ.

Instead, the Ravens signed Thad Lewis, who had not thrown an NFL pass in four years.

Jerry Jones is the only NFL owner who has said he would bench any of his players for taking a knee and it seems Harbaugh's military buddy advised creating a similar rule.

In September, Ravens legend Ray Lewis said the reason Kaepernick didn't have a job in Baltimore is because Kaepernick's girlfriend, Nessa Diab, was critical of Ravens management, publishing an incendiary post on social media in which she accused Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti of being a slave.

"We were talking about giving this kid an opportunity to get back in the National Football League," Lewis said on Inside the NFL. "I have been fighting for this kid behind the table like nobody has … Then, his girl goes out and puts out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed."

Lewis was exposed as one of the biggest hypocrites in sports last year when he was also critical of Kaepernick kneeling and advised him to ditch the protest, yet later in the season got down on two knees during the anthem.

Kaepernick accused the NFL of collusion last year when sub-par players like Thad Lewis got jobs while he continues to be out of football. His lawyers continue to build their case against the league.
So now you believe TMZ?

Remember when your hero said this...

The charges made in the TMZ story and other stories I’ve seen are completely wrong. They make things up about me that never happened.

The Dolphins owner just announced that all of his players would be standing for the National Anthem next season. 

Foolish. Why do these guys make such statements? My entire life I’ve stood for the Anthem, but the minute someone tells me I have to is the minute I want to sit down. I hope he is made to look stupid. 

The Dolphins owner just announced that all of his players would be standing for the National Anthem next season. 

Foolish. Why do these guys make such statements? My entire life I’ve stood for the Anthem, but the minute someone tells me I have to is the minute I want to sit down. I hope he is made to look stupid. 
Like Kaepernick?

I think he realized he did look stupid, as he is backpedaling today:

Omar Kelly‏ @OmarKelly 9m9 minutes ago

“I have no intention of forcing our players to stand during the anthem and I regret that my comments have been misconstrued," Dolphins owner Steve Ross said on Tuesday morning.

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/971049191396003840

When I started at Ford I went to a big meeting with a jacket but no tie..my bosses boss told him to fire me if I ever showed up to a national meeting again without a tie on. I wore a tie from then on.

Why an owner would even talk about it anyway is the issue....by the end of the season it had died down and only a handful were not standing.

When I started at Ford I went to a big meeting with a jacket but no tie..my bosses boss told him to fire me if I ever showed up to a national meeting again without a tie on. I wore a tie from then on.
I think dress attire is a little different but I get the point you're trying to make.

Like Kaepernick?
You know, I’m guessing this remark was kind of throwaway but even so I’ve given it some serious thought this morning because my feelings about Kaepernick have always been somewhat mixed. I do think he looked foolish at times, especially with the pig socks. As for the kneeling I’ve gone back and forth over whether that was a brave move or a dumb one. I admit that Trump’s remarks last year turned me into somewhat of a Kaepernick partisan, but that’s foolish as well, isn’t it? My evaluation of Kaepernick, either good or bad, should be regardless of what Trump says about it. Easier said than done. 

The most important aspect for me in these issues is intent. From everything I read, Kaepernick’s intent was to bring attention to a real injustice that exists in our society: Police mistreatment of minority youth. That intent, which I regard as worthy, outweighs the silliness and/or offensiveness of his actions. 

Still can't figure out which was more funny:

a) that the Ravens were actually going to sign him or

b) the girlfriend sends out a racist tweet that put the brakes on whole the deal

:lmao:

He lost his skills a long time ago unfortunately for him.
:no:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/05/24/a-look-at-colin-kapernicks-2016-stats-may-make-your-head-spin/

A look at Colin Kaepernick's 2016 stats may make your head spin

[...]

It’s no secret that the Niners have struggled since they parted ways with Jim Harbaugh following the 2014 season, going through Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly in as many years. Kaepernick never could regain the form that made him one of the game’s rising stars a few years back, but if you take a look at his passing numbers from last season, you may be surprised at his stats.

While the Niners were horrible last year record-wise, Kaepernick was surprisingly efficient in the passing game. The fact that he had the sixth-lowest interception percentage among quarterbacks last year is impressive and only furthers the case that Kaepernick should be signed to a roster [...]

For his career, Kaepernick has thrown for 12,271 yards to go along with 72 touchdown passes and 30 interceptions. He’s also rushed for 2,300 yards and 13 touchdowns.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/05/24/a-look-at-colin-kapernicks-2016-stats-may-make-your-head-spin/

[...]

It’s no secret that the Niners have struggled since they parted ways with Jim Harbaugh following the 2014 season, going through Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly in as many years. Kaepernick never could regain the form that made him one of the game’s rising stars a few years back, but if you take a look at his passing numbers from last season, you may be surprised at his stats.

While the Niners were horrible last year record-wise, Kaepernick was surprisingly efficient in the passing game. The fact that he had the sixth-lowest interception percentage among quarterbacks last year is impressive and only furthers the case that Kaepernick should be signed to a roster [...]

For his career, Kaepernick has thrown for 12,271 yards to go along with 72 touchdown passes and 30 interceptions. He’s also rushed for 2,300 yards and 13 touchdowns.
If talent was the deciding factor, he would be on a NFL team and probably competing for a starting job on about 8-10 teams. I don't really think that point is in dispute. 

Obviously, there are other reasons in play as to why he's not on a NFL roster.

[...]

while going 1-10 as a starter.

Man, there are some major Brady lovers here.  I think you're giving Brady a little too much credit.  He's not going give that same Niners team that many more wins.  Certainly good enough to get them a few but that's about it.

Key one being the QB.  What was SF's record before Garrappolo started playing?  I'd say CK is about on par with CJ Beathard.

Look, I know you’re saying this because you want to negate the idea that the main reason Kaepernick has not been signed anywhere is for political reasons, but we all know it’s true. I suspect that deep down you know it’s true as well. That doesn’t mean it’s collusion as he claims; I’m not sure how he can prove that. But they don’t want him because of the kneeling, not because he’s a lousy quarterback. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, so stop pretending that it’s simply a matter of his current skills. It’s laughable. 

Look, I know you’re saying this because you want to negate the idea that the main reason Kaepernick has not been signed anywhere is for political reasons, but we all know it’s true. I suspect that deep down you know it’s true as well. That doesn’t mean it’s collusion as he claims; I’m not sure how he can prove that. But they don’t want him because of the kneeling, not because he’s a lousy quarterback. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it, so stop pretending that it’s simply a matter of his current skills. It’s laughable. 

No Tim I've said many times his stupid political stances, girlfriend calling an owner racist, and wearing pig socks hurts his cause and hurts his ability to be signed.  But if he were good enough to be a winner teams would overlook those things.  He's just not good enough.  Don't know why this is so hard to admit.  I see you totally moved the goalposts after trying to claim last years SF team was a lot different than the one CK was 1-10 with.  Last years was awful too until they put a real QB under center.  You denying that?

No Tim I've said many times his stupid political stances, girlfriend calling an owner racist, and wearing pig socks hurts his cause and hurts his ability to be signed.  But if he were good enough to be a winner teams would overlook those things.  He's just not good enough.  Don't know why this is so hard to admit.  I see you totally moved the goalposts after trying to claim last years SF team was a lot different than the one CK was 1-10 with.  Last years was awful too until they put a real QB under center.  You denying that?
I don’t think Garrapolo wins with 2016s team. So yeah I’m denying it. 

I don’t think Garrapolo wins with 2016s team. So yeah I’m denying it. 
LOL.  It's a stupid hypothetical that can't be proven either way.  What is a fact is CK was 1-10, Beathard was horrible, and then Garrapollo was a winner all with the same franchise in a two year period.  Some guys are good enough that bad teams win because of them.  Others are not.  CK is not.  

It amazes me the lack of respect people show for Brady.  If you don’t think Brady wins over half of those first 11 games on that schedule, you are just an ignorant hater.  They lost five games by a combined 13 points, right away with Brady they are 6-5 at the very least.  That would also assume they still get beat on opening weekend and the awful Cowboys and quarterbackless Cardinals beat them again.  

Kaepernick is obviously talented enough to be on an NFL roster right now, and the reason he isn't on a roster is definitely due in large part to his political stances.  If he was better, teams would overlook those things.  But he's not that good.  Watching him torch the Packers in the playoffs ~5 years ago is one of my favorite NFL games in recent memory, but teams figured him out and he never really lived up to the bar he set with his potential.  Physical ability isn't the only thing that matters at the QB position, as the long history of the NFL has shown.  

Kaepernick is obviously talented enough to be on an NFL roster right now, and the reason he isn't on a roster is definitely due in large part to his political stances.  If he was better, teams would overlook those things.  But he's not that good.  Watching him torch the Packers in the playoffs ~5 years ago is one of my favorite NFL games in recent memory, but teams figured him out and he never really lived up to the bar he set with his potential.  Physical ability isn't the only thing that matters at the QB position, as the long history of the NFL has shown.  
I still remember when Chris Carter said about Kappy "NFL teams are not going to bring in a backup QB that will be a distraction to the team"  Carter went on to say that teams do not want a guy who is a bit player to be constantly the one the press wants to talk to and compared it to Tim Tebow.  Right now if a team brings in Kappy it will be a circus.   There is no reason that Kappy can`t be a backup for the right team but I would be surprised if a team does bring him into camp.

timschochet said:
What would Tom Brady have done with that team? 2-9? 
Well Janene Garafolo went 5-0 with a SF team that was previously 1-10. 

ETA: haha. should have read more first.

I will add though that janene averaged 65 yards more per game than the other san fran QBs in 2017 and in 2016 they were dead last in passing offense. The other San fran qb's numbers for 2017 would have been 29th in 2016 so the teams were hardly very different. 

Da Guru said:
I still remember when Chris Carter said about Kappy "NFL teams are not going to bring in a backup QB that will be a distraction to the team"  Carter went on to say that teams do not want a guy who is a bit player to be constantly the one the press wants to talk to and compared it to Tim Tebow.  Right now if a team brings in Kappy it will be a circus.   There is no reason that Kappy can`t be a backup for the right team but I would be surprised if a team does bring him into camp.
Exactly why bring in a circus for a guy you hope never sees the field. He created his circumstance, move forward and focus on fighting for social justice your NFL career is toast. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/trump-landed-dolphins-owner-stephen-143334685.html

Comment about Trump landed Dolphins owner Stephen Ross on Colin Kaepernick’s deposition list, report says

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross invoking President Donald Trump led to Ross’ name being added to the deposition list for Colin Kaepernick’s grievance against the NFL, Yahoo! Sports reported.

In a story published Monday, Ross told the New York Daily News that while he initially supported players’ rights to protest during the national anthem, his stance changed after Trump’s vehement opposition to the movement Kaepernick started. Trump’s position is that the protests are disrespectful to the United States and its military.

"When that message changed, and everybody was interpreting it as that was the reason, then I was against kneeling," Ross told the Daily News. "I like Donald (Trump). I don't support everything that he says. Overall, I think he was trying to make a point, and his message became what kneeling was all about. From that standpoint, that is the way the public is interpreting it. So I think that's really incumbent upon us to adopt that. That's how, I think, the country now is interpreting the kneeling issue."

Ross also said that going forward all Dolphins players will stand for the national anthem, but he later clarified he will not force them to do so.

On Tuesday, though, the day after the Daily News article was published, Kaepernick’s lawyers added Ross’ name to the deposition list.

Ross’ comments about Trump, Yahoo! Sports writes, “could end up having a significant impact in the Kaepernick grievance. Kaepernick’s grievance is attempting to illustrate a connection between his NFL unemployment and comments Trump has made about the league’s handling of both the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback and player protesters. In short, Kaepernick’s lawyers are trying to show that Trump impacted the thinking of NFL owners and led them into collusion against the quarterback. And now Ross has admitted that his own thinking was impacted by Trump’s framing of the issue.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-brought-president-trump-problematic-nfl-colin-kaepernicks-grievance-180024969.html

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross brought up President Trump and that could be problematic for NFL in Colin Kaepernick’s grievance

On Monday, Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross tied his thought process on protesting players to President Donald Trump. That may end up being the most sizable problem the league now faces in defending itself against the grievance brought by former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

On Tuesday afternoon – only hours after Ross’ remarks about both protesting NFL players and Trump became public – the Dolphins owner was added to the deposition list in the Kaepernick grievance. The move by Kaepernick’s lawyers was made in the wake of Ross telling the New York Daily News, “All of our players will be standing [for the national anthem].” But sources told Yahoo Sports it was Ross’ comments about President Trump that are believed to have drawn such a quick reaction from Kaepernick’s lawyers. Specifically: Ross’ admission that his view of player protests was shaped by Trump tying the NFL protests to disrespecting the flag or military.

“[Trump’s] message became what kneeling was all about,” Ross told the Daily News. “From that standpoint, that’s the way the public is interpreting it. So I think that’s really incumbent upon us to adopt that, because that’s how I think the country is now interpreting the kneeling issue

That specific statement by Ross could end up having a significant impact in the Kaepernick grievance. Kaepernick’s grievance is attempting to illustrate a connection between his NFL unemployment and comments Trump has made about the league’s handling of both the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback and player protesters. In short, Kaepernick’s lawyers are trying to show that Trump impacted the thinking of NFL owners and led them into collusion against the quarterback. And now Ross has admitted that his own thinking was impacted by Trump’s framing of the issue.

“I think initially I totally supported the players in what they were doing, because it’s America – people should be able to really speak about their choices and show them [in] doing that,” Ross told the Daily News. “But I think when you change the message, about, is it support of our country or the military, it’s a different message. When that message changed, and everybody was interpreting it as that was the reason, then I was against the kneeling.”

Asked if he would meet with a player who was planning a protest during the anthem, Ross replied, “I would meet with him, yes. All of our players will be standing.”

That’s a statement Kaepernick’s attorneys are expected to attack in a Ross deposition. For the simple reason that if Trump’s comments can influence the thinking of Ross on anthem kneeling, they could also influence NFL owners to shut Kaepernick out of the league. The possibility of that kind of power over owners is something that Trump has appeared to take pride in previously – notably in a speech in Kentucky on March 20, 2017 – less than three weeks after Kaepernick became an NFL free agent.

“Your San Francisco quarterback, I’m sure nobody ever heard of him,” Trump said to a crowd. “… There was an article today that was reported, that NFL owners don’t want to pick him up because they don’t want to get a nasty tweet from Donald Trump. Do you believe that? I just saw that.”

Trump followed that with a September speech in Alabama in which he once against drew a connecting line between patriotism, protests and the employment of protesting NFL players.

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a ##### off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!” Trump said.

A few weeks later in October, Trump skewered the league’s handling of Kaepernick when he first began kneeling in protest at the beginning of the 2016 season.

Charles Robinson‏ @CharlesRobinson 11m11 minutes ago

So guess which former #NFL player went through a 90-minute throwing workout on a private Houston area practice field this morning?

Colin Kaepernick.

Despite having to duck security, I was able to view the whole workout. He looked good. I’ll have a little something on it soon.

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/974335838996914176 (0:04 second video clip of workout at link)

Workout was not for the Texans apparently:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/03/latest-on-colin-kaepernick-9

Latest On Colin Kaepernick

Colin Kaepernick may still be training for another opportunity, despite unusual circumstances surrounding the former 49ers starter. The free agent quarterback was working out in Houston on Thursday morning, Yahoo.com’s Charles Robinson reports (on Twitter).

Indicating he observed the entirety of the workout, Robinson added the 30-year-old passer “looked good” during a 90-minute session — with what Robinson describes as featuring traditional quarterback drills — at a Houston-area field. This appeared to be a private workout with Kaepernick and his trainers. Robinson did not see any NFL teams in attendance and added the Texans were not believed to have known about it (Twitter link).

While Kaepernick has been out of football since the 2016 season, this morning routine could well illustrate he intends to keep trying to get back into the league. Although, those odds could be incredibly slim since he’s involved in a collusion lawsuit against the NFL.

Nevertheless, Kaepernick ranked seventh on PFR’s UFA quarterbacks, and five of the top six have agreed to deals, with No. 1 Kirk Cousins expected to do so soon. Lower-tier passers like Chase Daniel, Tom Savage and Mike Glennon have also come to terms with teams. Kaepernick, the leader of the 2016-initiated racial inequality-themed protests during national anthems, launched his lawsuit in October after even lower-level quarterbacks were signed last year.

Users who are viewing this thread