What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (7 Viewers)

@squistion  .  Zero Kaep news, ship has sailed. Time to change the thread title. Did anyone kneel week 1?  
Yes, Albert Wilson and Kenny Stills may also as he plays on Monday:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-albert-wilson-20190908-zvmgfg6rojctxhvi3p6s7u6nvu-story.html

Dolphins receiver Albert Wilson continues to kneel during playing of national anthem

The Miami Dolphins had at least one player kneel during the playing of the national anthem for a fourth straight season, continuing the longest running protest for social justice in the NFL.

Receiver Albert Wilson, who knelt during every game he played last season to create awareness for social justice issues in America, continued his protest during Sunday’s 59-10 season-opening loss to the Baltimore Ravens by taking a knee by the bench before kickoff.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-albert-wilson-20190908-zvmgfg6rojctxhvi3p6s7u6nvu-story.html

Dolphins receiver Albert Wilson continues to kneel during playing of national anthem

The Miami Dolphins had at least one player kneel during the playing of the national anthem for a fourth straight season, continuing the longest running protest for social justice in the NFL.

Receiver Albert Wilson, who knelt during every game he played last season to create awareness for social justice issues in America, continued his protest during Sunday’s 59-10 season-opening loss to the Baltimore Ravens by taking a knee by the bench before kickoff.
Are we still considering the Dolphins an NFL team this year?

I do agree with JayZ it is time to move on and actually "do things". Plus the 1-2 players still doing it are nobodies that the media does not care about.

I do agree with JayZ it is time to move on and actually "do things". Plus the 1-2 players still doing it are nobodies that the media does not care about.
The same Jay-Z who never did any kneeling himself to protest racial injustice says "We're past kneeling" - yeah, right, tell us all about it.

The same Jay-Z who never did any kneeling himself to protest racial injustice says "We're past kneeling" - yeah, right, tell us all about it.
I am for the players doing what they want but what is it proving now 3 years later?   JayZ said he would rather have  action, do something in the communities. The NA is not even broadcast during the regular season anymore. And again the 1-2 players who do kneel are nobodies that the media does not care about.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am for the players doing what they want but what is it proving now 3 years later?   JayZ said he would rather have  action, do something in the communities. The NA is not even broadcast during the regular season anymore. And again the 1-2 players who do kneel are nobodies that the media does not care about.  
They are taking a stand for racial injustice and inequality out of principle, which is the point. They feel they are doing the right thing and apparently don't really care about the lack of media interest. And since (as you claim) the NA is no longer broadcast during the regular season, I don't understand why you, or any of the anti-kneeling crowd would continue to concern yourself over what these "nobodies that the media does not care about" are doing.

They are taking a stand for racial injustice and inequality out of principle, which is the point. They feel they are doing the right thing and apparently don't really care about the lack of media interest. And since (as you claim) the NA is no longer broadcast during the regular season, I don't understand why you, or any of the anti-kneeling crowd would continue to concern yourself over what these "nobodies that the media does not care about" are doing.
I am not anti-kneeling, never have been.  I am more about action. What I agree with JayZ about is that kneeling was first done a few years to get a message out but that message got lost fast.  Now if people see those 2 guys kneel I highly doubt they even equate that to the original message it was intended for.

I guess they would prefer to roster and start Dobbs who had a 24.0 QB passer rating in 2018 over Kaep who has a career rating of 88.9? Yeah, that makes sense. :crazy:
One is young with upside.  The other is a has been and was mediocre at best.  This isn’t difficult. 

I guess they would prefer to roster and start Dobbs who had a 24.0 QB passer rating in 2018 over Kaep who has a career rating of 88.9? Yeah, that makes sense. :crazy:
Maybe one of them doesnt sleep with his teammates girlfriends? 

This morning, an independent source confirmed what I was told a few weeks ago: that a significant divide has formed in the locker room, and a large number of Colin Kaepernick’s teammates have turned on him. While it’s unclear whether his recent poor performance plays a role, I’ve been told by more than one person that Kaepernick’s relationship with Nessa, and his fallout with Smith, are to blame. The source said that many of the players simply don’t like Kaepernick.

Was getting gas today and a guy pulled up at the pump near me with a t-shirt with an American flag on it that said "I don't kneel".
These are all over where I used to live. T-shirts, bumper stickers, car window decals, front yard signs...

@squistion

Honest Question.  What are his salary demands at this point?  Looking for starter pay to get a shot?  Lots of opportunities.  
That has not been publicly disclosed, but I would imagine he would accept a backup's salary at this point to prove he can still play and it is not much of a leap to assume he wouldn't do any worse than Luke Faulk for the Jets or Kyle Allen for the Panthers.

That has not been publicly disclosed, but I would imagine he would accept a backup's salary at this point to prove he can still play and it is not much of a leap to assume he wouldn't do any worse than Luke Faulk for the Jets or Kyle Allen for the Panthers.
Unless he get signed real soon his window to play again is probably over.  3 years out of the league is tough to return from as a QB and be effective. When Montreal was interested in him he should have jumped on that deal to get exposure and get back into football.

Unless he get signed real soon his window to play again is probably over.  3 years out of the league is tough to return from as a QB and be effective. When Montreal was interested in him he should have jumped on that deal to get exposure and get back into football.
I am sure he wants back in, but i would bet his list of teams is very short. No way he risks coming back to the same results he was getting before. Would kill his legacy. 

As mentioned before the CFL has not been the road back or an entry into the NFL for any QB since Jeff Garcia in 1999. And if you disagree, please name a QB since Garcia who got exposure there and got back or got into the NFL as a result. Tim Tebow didn't even consider the CFL. Johnny Manziel played for the Montreal Allouettes before they released him for violating the terms of his contract, but the best he has been able to do since then was a gig with the Memphis Express of the now defunct AFL (no interest from any NFL team)

Exactly, I doubt he ever returns even if he’s offered a contract.
The bears seem to be the best fit. Trublowski is terrible. Colin may actually be more accurate than him. And there are not too many guys you can say that about since he sails a lot of balls. 

But they wouldn't pay him much. 

Dallas, Baltimore, Philly, and New England are all places I think from an on the field perspective he would consider, but no way those organizations sign him. 

Right now the Dolphins would be a good fit for him. Team is in a rebuild and Kappy could be the stop-gap QB and might be able to sell a few tickets.

Has he even been asked/invited to work out for a NFL team yet?

I can't see a team offering him a contract with out working him out 1st
Last year a workout was scheduled with Seattle, however the team cancelled it after he indicated he would continue the anthem kneeling protest.

If another team wants to follow the Miami model and tank for better draft picks, Kaepernick would be the perfect QB to get them a few extra L's.
It seems to me the Steelers would be the team that would offer Kaepernick a last chance. With the Rooney Rule and Dan Rooney being an Obama guy etc. Seems logical 

It seems to me the Steelers would be the team that would offer Kaepernick a last chance. With the Rooney Rule and Dan Rooney being an Obama guy etc. Seems logical 
They need to see what they have with Mason Rudolph.   He is supposed to be the heir apparent to Ben.  Kap would not get a shot at snaps   Jags are the team that you would think would be his best shot?  Isn’t their owner left leaning?

Kap does not appear to show interest in a purely backup gig is my guess.  There are so many crummy QBs on rosters right now.  

Guys, Kaep and the NFL are done unless a team pulls a publicity stunt. He's been gone too long from a game and position he wasn't really above average at, anyway. 

I thought so as well but after Antonio Brown I don`t think they want another circus for awhile.

/end

The bigger picture takeaway is that Antonio Brown just proves that there will be NFL teams that will put up with any kind of drama as long as you are good enough on the field, which I believe has been the point many of us have been making all along, and this just proves it.  
Good article below on Kaepernick.  The claim that "he's not good enough" is hogwash.  You can see this simply by the lack of tryouts he's getting.  It's a joke.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colin-kaepernick-actively-interested-why-isnt-nfl-interested-in-him/ar-AAHruxD?li=BBnbfcL

Kaepernick has a career passer rating of 88.9, which would put him just behind Carson Wentz and ahead of Jared Goff this season. Aaron Rodgers and Dak Prescott are the only active players with a lower interception rate. And while his record as a starter his last three seasons in San Francisco was 11-24, it has become abundantly clear since then that Kaepernick was the least of the 49ers’ problems.

While Kaepernick has been out of the game since December 2016, Geragos said he doesn’t know of anyone who works out “as religiously and arduously.” The occasional videos he posts of himself training – including one two weeks ago of him throwing to Odell Beckham Jr. – ought to be intriguing enough to entice some GM to take a closer look.

Good article below on Kaepernick.  The claim that "he's not good enough" is hogwash.  You can see this simply by the lack of tryouts he's getting.  It's a joke.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/colin-kaepernick-actively-interested-why-isnt-nfl-interested-in-him/ar-AAHruxD?li=BBnbfcL
Not sure why you quoted my post since I don't believe I ever said the bolded, except in the context of saying that if you come with a lot of baggage/drama, you have to be so good that teams will put up with it (see: the Patriots signing A. Brown who is a POS), and that is simply is not the case with Kaepernick.  The same thing happened with Tebow, albeit for very different reasons.  

Not sure why you quoted my post since I don't believe I ever said the bolded, except in the context of saying that if you come with a lot of baggage/drama, you have to be so good that teams will put up with it (see: the Patriots signing A. Brown who is a POS), and that is simply is not the case with Kaepernick.  The same thing happened with Tebow, albeit for very different reasons.  
:confused:

Read your post again.....

You say that teams will put up with almost any type of drama assuming that they  you are good enough on the field.  I took this as you saying Kaepernick isn't good enough and thus hasn't been giving another chance.

How am I reading your post incorrectly?

:confused:

Read your post again.....

You say that teams will put up with almost any type of drama assuming that they  you are good enough on the field.  I took this as you saying Kaepernick isn't good enough and thus hasn't been giving another chance.

How am I reading your post incorrectly?
"He's not good enough" is the narrative put out by some, as if he is not good enough in a vacuum (if you remove all of the off the field stuff) to still play in the league. If the kneeling stuff and everything that has taken place since had never happen, he'd probably still be on a roster, but because he comes with too much baggage/drama/whatever you want to call it, he is not worth rostering since no one wants that much drama/chatter swirling around a player who'd likely be your backup QB.  I hope that makes it more clear.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread