What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Sports Ruined - Name, Image, Likeness (1 Viewer)

I think most people don’t have a problem w/ kids getting paid. Most of us have a problem w/ kids transferring at will because they can get paid more somewhere else. Coaches have to recruit high school kids every year, and now they have recruit their own players to come back, as well as players from other schools. Especially in basketball some schools aren’t even going to recruit top prospects. If they’re great they’ll go to the NBA after 1 year, but if not coaches can look at their rosters and see what they need and buy players from other schools. It’s basically free agency with every one signed to one year deals, and that’s killing college sports 

Wasn't hard to see this coming. The NCAA lobied for the status quo for decades (rather than getting out in front and getting a decent framework in place). Then they lost in court and it was too late. 

No issue with kids getting paid. It was  a joke that they couldn't get a couple hundred bucks for an autograph,  use their social media following to legitimately promote businesses, use their image/name in a video game,etc. But thats not what we have now. 

Schools putting together "NIL collectives" to buy players isn't NIL....its just pay for play....which is technically still against the rules. But as long as they keep the details hush-hush (unlike that dope ruiz from Miami) they'll get away with it.

Just a terrible turn of events when you combine it with the one time free transfer rule. Good for the kids....lots of them (not all of them) have been getting the short end for far too long. But the current environment is just absurd now and I don't see how they ever put the toothpaste back in the tube. 

I wonder when the first school tries to make a kid sign a non-compete contract when accepting a scholarship (so he can't transfer).

Last edited by a moderator:
A great article about this.

Basically what we have are college programs with no salary cap. The NCAA as we know it is over.  

For me, college sports is ruined forever. Just my opinion. 
Not ruined, just in transition to a place where the players generating the billion$ of revenue get a cut.

It's probably going to be decades-long messy and full of court cases, but what eventually comes out the other side will be good and much much fairer.

Not ruined, just in transition to a place where the players generating the billion$ of revenue get a cut.

It's probably going to be decades-long messy and full of court cases, but what eventually comes out the other side will be good and much much fairer.
I don't think I have a problem with the players getting a cut. (though I would argue a $150,000 education is pretty good compensation).

But the way this is all going down just taints my view of what college sports is all about. It's just weird I guess now that it's all out in the open.

My problem, I know.

No coincidence the rate of top tier Hoops coaches finally saying goodbye.  Roy, Coach K and Jay Wright all hang it up within a short period once this becomes the rule.
Wow - hadn't heard this.

He was one of the good ones as far as I could tell. Great coach.

Colleges have no business running professional leagues. The NFL needs to get a teal minor league and allow HS drafting 

I wonder though how much that will water down the product with some players sticking with the college route and others going the minor league route.  It is baseball so not a fair comparison to the popularity of football, but who actually watches either college baseball or minor league baseball on tv?  I'd much rather keep it as it and just pay college players   

A great article about this.

Basically what we have are college programs with no salary cap. The NCAA as we know it is over.  

For me, college sports is ruined forever. Just my opinion. 
There have been imbalances forever in college sports with advantages for recruiting.  I guess all of the SEC schools now have competition for paying athletes that they have been doing under the table with legitimate payments now.

Sounds good to me.

I wonder though how much that will water down the product with some players sticking with the college route and others going the minor league route.  It is baseball so not a fair comparison to the popularity of football, but who actually watches either college baseball or minor league baseball on tv?  I'd much rather keep it as it and just pay college players   
I don't care what you would rather watch. Colleges shouldn't be paying athletes. It isn't a remotely sustainable system. There only going to be about 10 teams who can field competive football teams and most universities are going to just continue to bleed money.

I don't think I have a problem with the players getting a cut. (though I would argue a $150,000 education is pretty good compensation).

But the way this is all going down just taints my view of what college sports is all about. It's just weird I guess now that it's all out in the open.

My problem, I know.
I mean, there's rumors of Pitt WR Jordan Addison being offered $3 million in NIL deals to transfer.  IMO, doesn't matter if we think a $150k scholarship is good compensation (for example), because clearly his services are worth a lot more than that on a semi-open market.  For years, he'd either have to be paid under the table, or be very unfairly compensated if his only compensation is a scholarship was $150k but his services were worth 20x that amount.

Honestly, I don't really see the problem with all of this.  Players should be compensated with NIL deals, and should be free to transfer and play at other schools, IMO.  It's absolutely going to increase the gulf between the top programs and the rest of the field.  I'm primarily a fan of a middling G5 school that will never even remotely be able to compete in this game, and is essentially nothing more than an FCS school as a result of NIL.  But I think that's the way it should be, because these players deserve to be paid for the value they bring to their institutions.

I mean, there's rumors of Pitt WR Jordan Addison being offered $3 million in NIL deals to transfer.  IMO, doesn't matter if we think a $150k scholarship is good compensation (for example), because clearly his services are worth a lot more than that on a semi-open market.  For years, he'd either have to be paid under the table, or be very unfairly compensated if his only compensation is a scholarship was $150k but his services were worth 20x that amount.

Honestly, I don't really see the problem with all of this.  Players should be compensated with NIL deals, and should be free to transfer and play at other schools, IMO.  It's absolutely going to increase the gulf between the top programs and the rest of the field.  I'm primarily a fan of a middling G5 school that will never even remotely be able to compete in this game, and is essentially nothing more than an FCS school as a result of NIL.  But I think that's the way it should be, because these players deserve to be paid for the value they bring to their institutions.
NCAA atheletics only make money at a few institutions. 

There have been imbalances forever in college sports with advantages for recruiting.  I guess all of the SEC schools now have competition for paying athletes that they have been doing under the table with legitimate payments now.

Sounds good to me.
Yes, this is like bookies having a complaint when on line gambling comes to their state.

I don't care what you would rather watch. Colleges shouldn't be paying athletes. It isn't a remotely sustainable system. There only going to be about 10 teams who can field competive football teams and most universities are going to just continue to bleed money.
So the alternative is two watered down leagues? 

Coaches leave every year literally for this reason. 
The next possible and very interesting development is when boosters start to decrease coaching pay in order to increase the talent procurement budget.

The question boosters will be asking themselves is: "should we pay our new coach $10 million or find one for $4 million and put the other six into getting that guy the best talent?" (Texas A&M boosters: "Let's do both!")

NCAA atheletics only make money at a few institutions. 
Correct, but there are intangible benefits to the institutions, such as increases in student applications, that can be driven by athletics.

Also, I think it's important to note that these players are not being paid by the university, they're being paid by boosters.  If a booster from a schlub program like Kansas wants to throw 6 figures at some kid because the booster feels like it's a good use of his money, why not?  And formal terms are probably better for all parties than some guy meeting the kid in a McDonalds parking lot and giving him a paper bag with $10k in it.

It's been less than a year since the NCAA approved NIL.  Nobody really knows where it's going yet so I think we can pump the brakes a little on the doom and gloom.

Yes, this is like bookies having a complaint when on line gambling comes to their state.
Patrick Hruby tweeted earlier that schools were just mad that players were getting a cut of the rake now.

There are ways to get a structure in place but it will require participation from the players. The courts have pretty much determined that unilateral policy making that violates anti-trust is a non-starter going forward.

I think most people don’t have a problem w/ kids getting paid. Most of us have a problem w/ kids transferring at will because they can get paid more somewhere else. Coaches have to recruit high school kids every year, and now they have recruit their own players to come back, as well as players from other schools. Especially in basketball some schools aren’t even going to recruit top prospects. If they’re great they’ll go to the NBA after 1 year, but if not coaches can look at their rosters and see what they need and buy players from other schools. It’s basically free agency with every one signed to one year deals, and that’s killing college sports 

Transfer rule is great.  I can't believe so many people hate it.  These kids get one shot at the thing they've banked their whole life on, would be stupid to ruin it because at age 18 they happened to pick a place where they end up stuck behind another great player.

Baker, Burrow, Jameson Williams.  Imagine if we'd never even heard of these guys because the languished away behind other superb talent.

Getting these guys to recoup the billions of dollars that schools rake in is only fair, even if it is imperfect and takes some of the joy out of it. There's no way adults participating in a billion-dollar business should not be getting paid commensurately. 

Forget college sports being ruined; the old way ruined the concept of labor and capital to a serious degree. 

Transfer rule is great.  I can't believe so many people hate it.  These kids get one shot at the thing they've banked their whole life on, would be stupid to ruin it because at age 18 they happened to pick a place where they end up stuck behind another great player.

Baker, Burrow, Jameson Williams.  Imagine if we'd never even heard of these guys because the languished away behind other superb talent.
Yeah, players used to transfer because they didn’t play. Now it’s basically free agency. They’re transferring because schools are offering them more money, there’s a difference. 

Plus they can only transfer once without "penalty".  It's not like they can just transfer every year

I am wondering if we see players staying in college longer because, "Hmm I am making 3 million here. Do I want to go sign a rookie minimum deal of 600k in the NFL?" 

I am wondering if we see players staying in college longer because, "Hmm I am making 3 million here. Do I want to go sign a rookie minimum deal of 600k in the NFL?" 
Really depends on how much money we wind up talking about.   2nd rounder in nfl getting between 2 and 4.5M between signing bonus and that 1st year salary.   

If you are willing to be satisfied with coaches leaving a school high and dry to go to the SEC or whatever you need to ask yourself why you aren’t ok with a player doing the same. 
Then I guess I’m a hypocrite. I see coaches leaving for other schools as part of the deal. Besides coaches get fired all the time, so of course they’re going to look to get paid. 

Oscar Tshiebwe of Kentucky, who I'm told is pretty good at basketball, will be a good test case. His reps believe he'll pull in around $2 million in deals if he returns for his senior season.

This is more for college bball, but if you can't pay someone for their NIL until they sign their letter of intent and the player is clearly a one and doner, then why would you pay that player at all?

This is more for college bball, but if you can't pay someone for their NIL until they sign their letter of intent and the player is clearly a one and doner, then why would you pay that player at all?

There's presumably some sort of a contract protecting the player.  From the school's perspective, NIL will become part of the program.  Ones that are successful with NIL will attract more prominent recruits.  If they were to welsh on their commitments to a one and done player, that news would travel fast and damage recruiting for years.

Then I guess I’m a hypocrite. I see coaches leaving for other schools as part of the deal. Besides coaches get fired all the time, so of course they’re going to look to get paid. 
It’s only part of the deal because that’s the way the system has been set up to keep money from the players. 

Also, when coaches get fired they get a giant payday for the inconvenience. 

Sports Illustrated reporting today that the NCAA is about ready to issue clarifications on when NIL arrangements cross the line to inducements. Also promising to crack down with sanctions on those who cross said blurry line.

The question that immediately arises is, what happens when all the boosters tell the NCAA to pee off?

There's presumably some sort of a contract protecting the player.  From the school's perspective, NIL will become part of the program.  Ones that are successful with NIL will attract more prominent recruits.  If they were to welsh on their commitments to a one and done player, that news would travel fast and damage recruiting for years.
But who is committing what and when?   You saying there's some sort of contract in place prior to signing the letter of intent.  So you can sign a contract agreeing to pay someone before signing the letter of intent, just not pay someone prior to that?  What's the point of even having that restriction then? 

It’s only part of the deal because that’s the way the system has been set up to keep money from the players. 

Also, when coaches get fired they get a giant payday for the inconvenience. 
But if the coach decides to leave, then the school gets a nice payday as well.  Maybe there should be a transfer fee like there is in soccer.  

Even if I enjoy watching some NCAA sports, I have generally felt the concept of athletic scholarships were kinda dumb anyway. Just make them club teams with the school attached in name only, let the NBA run it.

Or, keep some number of athletic scholarships but hand those out to the kids that want to take classes. You can pay those that don't want the education with an actual salary.

Users who are viewing this thread