What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Brock Bowers, LV (1 Viewer)

I’ve been considering Bowers with the #2 pick but those small hands knock him down.

Kidding, kinda. I might have to trade down to a spot Bowers becomes a better option if the offer is solid.

To badger my pount tho, if you take away all his receptions at or behind the line of scrimmage, and all he had on tape was his catches down field, I dont know if people are talking about him as a 1st round pick. He is no Kyle Pitts in this sense. Id say hed be considered more in the 2nd round in this scenario.
This resonates with me a lot. Watching him I always marveled at how good the OC was at designing ways to get him the ball, and this may not translate to the NFL. Does he run good routes, does he find open seams in the defense, does he read the defender and make correct option route reads?

He wins after the catch. Best YAC TE ever. EVER. They threw him screens because the best way to get the ball to the best YAC TE ever is with screens.

He's so low to the ground when he runs, and bounces off guys.

I think everything he does will translate. I don't care if he runs a 4.49 or 4.62, because he's plenty fast to score after a CB bounces off him. Speed isn't his game.

He wins after the catch. Best YAC TE ever. EVER. They threw him screens because the best way to get the ball to the best YAC TE ever is with screens.

He's so low to the ground when he runs, and bounces off guys.

I think everything he does will translate. I don't care if he runs a 4.49 or 4.62, because he's plenty fast to score after a CB bounces off him. Speed isn't his game.

whoever drafts him should use him the same way. harrison, nabers and bowers popped off the screen on saturdays like no others in this draft.

I guess it will depend on ADP, team, camp, but I'm petty sure I'm targeting him in redraft.

Just an FYI he's going as TE7 in FFPC TE premium leagues but a better way to say it is right in the mix with Engram, Kittle and Njoku, all going within half a round of one another.

Not sure what your expectations were but this is not a case of people blowing off a rookie TE in redraft. Probably the Laporta effect.

I'd add this format would push him up more then most even relative to other TE's, or at least it does for me, because the YAC ability in a 1.5 PPR format should present him a lot of easier touches to produce and because these are national type contests the urge to hit upside is bigger.

This is the time taking a TE in the top 10 of the NFL draft will work. I know it didn't work for any team ever before but it will work this time. It's like the Arrested Development meme.

As an 18-year-old true freshman, TE Brock Bowers averaged a team-high 58.8 YPG. That was ____ more than that of his following teammates:

1.7X that of WR Jermaine Burton (proj. R3)
2.0X that of WR Ladd McConkey (proj. R2)
2.1X that of WR Adonai Mitchell (proj. R1)
4.2X that of TE Darnell Washington (R3)

This is the time taking a TE in the top 10 of the NFL draft will work. I know it didn't work for any team ever before but it will work this time. It's like the Arrested Development meme.

So much gold here. Yup, draft him in the Top 10 and reap all the benefits.

Larf.

It's only happened about a half dozen times in the last fifty years, so it's not a great sample size to work with. But you don't like TJ Hockensen or Vernon Davis?

YearRoundPickPlayerNameTeamCollege
2021144Kyle PittsFalconsFlorida
2019188T.J. HockensonLionsIowa
201411010Eric EbronLionsNorth Carolina
2006166Vernon Davis49ersMaryland
2004166Kellen WinslowBrownsMiami (FL)
1996199Rickey DudleyRaidersOhio State
1995199Kyle BradyJetsPenn State
1984u188Paul BergmannColtsUCLA
1980177Junior MillerFalconsNebraska
1978177Ken MacAfee49ersNotre Dame
1974177J.V. CainCardinalsColorado
1973166Charle YoungEaglesUSC
177Paul SeymourBillsMichigan
1972155Riley OdomsBroncosHouston
1970166Steve ZabelEaglesOklahoma
1969177Ted Kwalick49ersPenn State
1961155Mike DitkaBearsPittsburgh

Not a fun list to look at.

It's only happened about a half dozen times in the last fifty years, so it's not a great sample size to work with. But you don't like TJ Hockensen or Vernon Davis?
It took them both about 4 years to really hit their stride…which we literally know about TEs which is why taking them so early is a waste of the rookie savings.

Other than maybe Pitts, who went to a team with embarrassingly bad play calling and QB play, and he still had 1,000 yards as a rookie with Matt Ryan, I think Bowers is the best TE prospect of all-time.

Anywhere outside the top-4 is reasonable in my opinion.

I've always hated the logic of, let's take a worse prospect because he plays a more important position. I get it at QB, but anywhere else is foolish in my opinion. Its not a coincidence that the final 4 teams last season all had top TEs (Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, LaPorta) a top TE is worth every bit as much as a top WR.

It took them both about 4 years to really hit their stride…which we literally know about TEs which is why taking them so early is a waste of the rookie savings.
Hockenson was 1st team All-Pro in his 2nd year. I don't think drafting a TE with a top pick is a great idea either, but not because it never works out, and not because they develop slowly. Because neither of those things are actually true.

Hockenson was 1st team All-Pro in his 2nd year. I don't think drafting a TE with a top pick is a great idea either, but not because it never works out, and not because they develop slowly. Because neither of those things are actually true.
I am a Lions fan, I promise you Hockenson was not all that good his second year. They had the worst group of pass catchers in the league. It was purely volume based. TJ always frustrated Lions fans and none of us were very sad to see him go.

I am a Lions fan, I promise you Hockenson was not all that good his second year. They had the worst group of pass catchers in the league. It was purely volume based. TJ always frustrated Lions fans and none of us were very sad to see him go.
Hockenson also was never 1st team all-pro. Travis Kelce was 1st team in 2020, and 2nd team was Darren Waller.

ETA: Hockenson was 1st team all conference that year. Which is a far inferior accolade.

Hockenson also was never 1st team all-pro. Travis Kelce was 1st team in 2020, and 2nd team was Darren Waller.

ETA: Hockenson was 1st team all conference that year. Which is a far inferior accolade.
Yes, you're right. I mis-read it. My bad.

YearRoundPickPlayerNameTeamCollege
2021144Kyle PittsFalconsFlorida
2019188T.J. HockensonLionsIowa
201411010Eric EbronLionsNorth Carolina
2006166Vernon Davis49ersMaryland
2004166Kellen WinslowBrownsMiami (FL)
1996199Rickey DudleyRaidersOhio State
1995199Kyle BradyJetsPenn State
1984u188Paul BergmannColtsUCLA
1980177Junior MillerFalconsNebraska
1978177Ken MacAfee49ersNotre Dame
1974177J.V. CainCardinalsColorado
1973166Charle YoungEaglesUSC
177Paul SeymourBillsMichigan
1972155Riley OdomsBroncosHouston
1970166Steve ZabelEaglesOklahoma
1969177Ted Kwalick49ersPenn State
1961155Mike DitkaBearsPittsburgh

Not a fun list to look at.

But... observations:
  • The game has changed so much over time that I don't think draft picks from more than 10 years ago are particularly applicable or predictive.
  • That only leaves a sample size of 3 in this list, which is obviously too small to be predictive.
  • Pitts illustrates how much QB play matters to TE production. He was great as a rookie with Matt Ryan (17 starts). Since then, the ATL QBs have been Ridder (17 starts), Mariota (13), Heinecke (4). :x If Bowers goes to a team with quality QB play and coaching, then Pitts' rookie season is more applicable as a comparison than his other 2 seasons.
  • Bowers has a stronger draft profile than every player on this list. He is arguably the best TE draft prospect ever.

Austin Abbott
Comparing Kyle Pitts and Brock Bowers as Prospects:

Kyle Pitts: (6’6, 245 lbs)

YAC: 539
YPRR: 2.36
YAC/REC: 5.4
Drop Rate: 5.7%
Receiving YPG: 62.1
Missed Tackles Forced: 10
Contested Catch Rate: 55.6%

College Production: (24 Games)

➖100 Receptions
➖1,492 Yards
➖18 TD's

Brock Bowers: (6’3, 243 lbs)

YAC: 1,487✔️
YPRR: 2.64 ✔️
YAC/REC: 8.5 ✔️
Drop Rate: 4.4% ✔️
Receiving YPG: 63.5 ✔️
Missed Tackles Forced: 44 ✔️
Contested Catch Rate: 59% ✔️

College Production: (40 Games)

➖175 Receptions
➖2,538 Yards
➖31 TD's

Notable Information:

Kyle Pitts BEST season: (2020)

➖43 Receptions
➖770 Yards
➖12 TD’s

Brock Bowers FRESHMAN stats: (2021)

➖56 Receptions ✔️
➖882 Yards ✔️
➖13 TD’s ✔️

In the ENTIRE PFF College Era, Bowers ranks:

📍1st in Career PFF Receiving Grade
📍1st in Career Receiving Yards
📍1st in Receiving YAC
📍1st in Forced Missed Tackles
📍T-1st in Receiving TD's

He's my 1.4 in dynasty drafts right now. Any team that drafts him, is gonna do it with a plan of usage. Personally, I like the Jets, that way they can use Williams as more of a deep threat/clear out guy, and not have to send Wilson on so many 5 yard crossers that he got lit up on this season.

Georgia tight end Brock Bowers must overcome one thing if he’s to make a Travis Kelce-sized impact in the NFL

Excerpts:

Brock Bowers is the consensus top tight end in this year's NFL Draft.

The ex Georgia Bulldogs pass catcher is a two-time national champion and three-time All American who's widely projected to be a top 10 overall pick in this month's draft.
The 21-year-old led Georgia in receptions (56), receiving yards (714) and touchdown catches (6) this past season and has drawn comparisons with Chiefs star Travis Kelce, but one draft expert thinks he needs to overcome a major hurdle if he's to make serious waves in the NFL.

That obstacle?

Size.

ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller spoke exclusively to talkSPORT about those Kelce comparisons and what gets overlooked when discussing Bowers.
"He’s [Bowers] quite a bit smaller," Miller said.

"I think that’s something that gets overlooked. Travis is 6ft 5in and his weight has changed throughout his career, he’s dropped some weight.

"Brock Bowers was barely 6ft 1in, just a little over 240 pounds. He’s actually kind of undersized for his position.

"He’s probably a 4.6 to 4.7 guy (in the 40-yard dash), which is good, really good. But he’s not this transcendent athlete. "He’s just a really, really good football player."
Bowers has tons of potential and has been touted as one of the best TEs in college football history.

He is the only player in history to win the John Mackey Award - given to the nation’s top tight end - twice since the award's inception in 2000, and holds the UGA school record for single-season receiving touchdowns with 13.

"Right away you can tell he only knew one speed,” Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken said before the 2021 College Football Playoffs.

“He’d be 10 yards in front of every other guy. He was working at his own speed to be the best he could be, and that is a rare quality to put yourself out there like he did.

"So right away you could see this guy is different."

According to a PFF's scouting report: "Bowers is one of the most well-rounded tight end prospects ever to enter the NFL.

"His build-up speed is good for the NFL, which is why he has elite after-the-catch ability. He also has some of the strongest hands you'll see for a tight end.

"As a blocker, he might be the strongest pound-for-pound tight end you'll find.

The report adds: "Besides being on the smaller side, Bowers is a dream tight end prospect.

"Add in his reliable blocking ability on the line and in space, and you have an ultimate chess piece offensive weapon with All-Pro potential."

Bowers is undeniably a weapon but the Kelce comps are weird. They're very different.

I'm not sure Bowers has a comp. He's very clearly his own dude and if the right coach has him, he could redefine the position.

Bowers is undeniably a weapon but the Kelce comps are weird. They're very different.

I'm not sure Bowers has a comp. He's very clearly his own dude and if the right coach has him, he could redefine the position.
I think you’re right. Hopefully he’s the Aaron Donald of tight ends.

He’s reminiscent of a better Aaron Hernandez on the field.

I was just about to say this - I think his best comp is Aaron Hernandez. I think he may not be quite the physical specimen that Hernandez was, but their best use cases are very similar. I would give the edge to Bowers when it comes to hands and playmaking. His college film is beyond impressive. The fact that he was dominant in the SEC as a freshman is a very compelling data point. When I think of other players who were dominant on tape, but had questions about their physical traits, the tape seems to be the more reliable evaluation tool.

I was just about to say this - I think his best comp is Aaron Hernandez. I think he may not be quite the physical specimen that Hernandez was, but their best use cases are very similar. I would give the edge to Bowers when it comes to hands and playmaking. His college film is beyond impressive. The fact that he was dominant in the SEC as a freshman is a very compelling data point. When I think of other players who were dominant on tape, but had questions about their physical traits, the tape seems to be the more reliable evaluation tool.
I've seen fans of teams with good TEs like KC, SF, and DET wanting to move up to get the next "Gronk/AH" combo. Minus the murdering part of course.

I've seen fans of teams with good TEs like KC, SF, and DET wanting to move up to get the next "Gronk/AH" combo. Minus the murdering part of course.
I wouldn't HATE this for the Bears, though I would prefer they trade back to 15-ish to grab him, as I think he might slide. It's easy to see his talent, but a little bit more difficult to project his usage in the NFL. He needs to go to a team with a brilliant offensive schemer. I think any of the three teams you mentioned would find a way to use him that would be terrifying for the rest of the league.

Seems they’d have to give a lot. At least next year’s first.
I just don’t want him in Indy.

I would give the edge to Bowers when it comes to hands and playmaking. His college film is beyond impressive
Yep.

In terms of playmaking for a college TE, he's on a level never even approached. He's top right, all by himself, in any graph that tracks post- catch abilities.

Every target.
I like that they include misses and botched plays. Dude is elite.
Those every touch videos are great.

His is crazy. 25 minutes, but it looks like a highlight film. There's like 4 bad plays in there.

I'm not even sure we are all realizing what we are seeing.

He breaks tackles like a RB. A RB who is really good at breaking tackles. He gets up to speed immediately, runs so low that his momentum and lean is a problem on every single catch where he gets turned upfield. Also, I swear, he runs faster with the ball in his hands.

Runs stutter fades from the slot--ridiculous.
Gets downfield on CBs.
Those short outs, quick passes to the flats? That's his bread and butter. Gets turned upfield SO QUICK, and runs like an angry horse.

His leverage is such that dudes tackle him are basically jumping on top, and trying to ride him to the ground. No one gets low and wraps up on him.

Not a TE. He's an H Back

Users who are viewing this thread