What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keon Coleman, BUF (1 Viewer)

A huge, huge part of football is winning off the line, isn't it?
Winning off the line when you get a stutter step, or an inside release, or an outside release, or against a press, or when going in motion. I have yet to see an NFL WR get down in a sprinter's stance and the NFL DB line up right next to him in a sprinter's stance and they both run in a straight line unimpeded.

A huge, huge part of football is winning off the line, isn't it?
How many times do players line up in a sprinters start?

Moreover - good thing these guys have 3-4 years of tape to see how they get off the line with actual coverage. But no, lets get super hyped for 1 or 2 sprinting starts....

No, I agree. But is he slow off the line because of the stance or because he's just generally slow off the line?
I never liked the way they have them line up, clearly form has a lot to do with it. Some guys are better than others.

Just an antiquated thing they have not changed because tradition.

I think the issues still remain as to whether he can get open in the NFL, which would still be true if he ran a 4.4.

It actually meant a little bit more to me how good he was in the guantlet, meantime Troy Franklin looked like a drunk teenage deer wearing high heels.
This is the key point right here. How will he fair when hes battling NFL corners? I think this guy has a lot of talents and he could keep improving over the next couple years - if he keeps working on his routes.

The vertical is solid, the broad jump is very good and you can see the athleticism and power he has. How are the routes and how will that translate in the NFL?

No, I agree. But is he slow off the line because of the stance or because he's just generally slow off the line?
I never liked the way they have them line up, clearly form has a lot to do with it. Some guys are better than others.

Just an antiquated thing they have not changed because tradition.

I think the issues still remain as to whether he can get open in the NFL, which would still be true if he ran a 4.4.

It actually meant a little bit more to me how good he was in the guantlet, meantime Troy Franklin looked like a drunk teenage deer wearing high heels.
This is the key point right here. How will he fair when hes battling NFL corners? I think this guy has a lot of talents and he could keep improving over the next couple years - if he keeps working on his routes.

The vertical is solid, the broad jump is very good and you can see the athleticism and power he has. How are the routes and how will that translate in the NFL?
That's the big question. He doesn't really win with separation created by sharp routes. Lots of contested catches due to strong hands and his size.

At his size that is not something to be ignored. He'll be a good value pick for someone at the back of the 1st/early 2nd I think.
I dunno where he ends up.

This is a bigger concept than Coleman, but just the order of teams, what they want in a WR, who they like, and the jumble of talent at WR, I think it's a fools errand to guess the spot for any of these WRs, after the big 3.

3rd round is gonna have WRs that got mocked, at some point, in the 1st round.

a WR that cant separate in college, and wins on contested balls isn't the type of guy i want at the next level.

It's the main reason ive been out all along... But we'll see. He's got a lot of room to grow and can get better. I might miss out on a future stud, but my buy price almost guarantees i wont own him anywhere

I was surprised to see him get so much hate in this thread. I view him as a (much slower) Julio Jones but whenever I watched FSU play he jumped off the screen as a man amongst boys. You know where separation doesn't matter? The redzone. This guy is a threat to score 10+ touchdowns immediately catching fades over people.

How many teams would he go to and immediately be their best RZ threat? There are plenty of comparisons in the league, Mike Williams ran a 4.54 for instance and has been plenty fantasy viable. He's a throwback, but he reminds me of Sidney Rice (Minnesota) as well, a rich man's Sidney Rice. Do you guys remember Plaxico Burress? He ran a 4.59 as well. The mold is there, if you pair him with a guy like Matthew Stafford or Josh Allen who aren't afraid to throw into coverage, he is the kind of guy who when he is covered, he's open. Kenny Golladay is another good comp (4.5 40, 6,4).

Targetting him in all my dynasty drafts. I could be wrong, but based on the hate I am seeing it won't cost me much to find out. If he was coming out 20 years ago, he'd be a Top 5 pick. 6 ft 4 receiver running a 4.61 used to be good. When you add in the fact he's one of those players who is "faster" in pads, I really like him. I think he's much closer to a 4.5 forty guy on the field.

He's going to be a nightmare for smaller corners and a smart OC will move him around like you would a TE mismatch.

Last edited:
Josh Norris
whose idea was it to make 6'3/213 lbs Keon Coleman FSU's screen guy?

Had 20 screen targets last season. No other WR had more than 5.

Keon Coleman's contested catch numbers were really poor on paper last season

Stemmed from a rough start, IMO

Games 2, 3, 4 (SoMiss, BC, Clemson), he saw 10 contested targets.

Only won 1. And actually, those opps were more winnable than forced targets later in the season.

I think Coleman has perhaps had the pendulum swing too far on him, to where he's so overrated, he's actually underrated. I think he's an NFL #2 WR, who could have some big slot value for a creative play caller.

Tom Pelissero
Who could be the surprise names that sneak into the bottom of Round 1 when the 2024 NFL Draft kicks off Thursday night? My annual exercise is here:

One name to watch: Florida State WR Keon Coleman, who quietly was among the busiest players during the pre-draft process with a dozen visits, plus a couple private team workouts.

Users who are viewing this thread