What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rome Odunze, CHI (1 Viewer)

32BeatWriters
"Odunze has truly elite ball skills, and people I spoke to about the receivers were effusive in how they talked about his make-up and competitiveness. I’d say going into my trip that Harrison is the closest thing to a 'can’t miss' in this draft. I still am sold on the Buckeyes All-American, but after listening to NFL people talk about Odunze, I might change my opinion to say that he’s the closest thing to a can’t-miss project."

The quote is from Bruce Feldman

32BeatWriters
Are we all still too low on Rome Odunze?

"Odunze will get an extremely high classification from me over on the Stacked Prospect Rankings. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ja’Marr Chase and Rome Odunze are the top three prospects I have charted for Reception Perception between the 2021 and 2024 classes. By the time I’m ready to settle the rankings, he very well may end up the top prospect on the board." - @MattHarmon_BYB

receptionperception.com/rome-odunze-20…

He legitimately might be right, when it comes to how it all goes down in the NFL
Says the man willing it into existence sitting at 1.03

yes and no. I have nabers as #1, marvin #2, odunze 3 (out of college). On most given years, any of them could be #1...

Odunze has that insane drive/work ethic that COULD make him the best WR when it comes to the NFL. situation will matter too. but legit any of the 3 have a real shot to be top, top top

Ryan Dunleavy
There's not a safer pick in the top 10 of the #NFLDraft than Rome Odunze. Star player, clean character evaluations. nypost.com/2024/04/12/spo…

How would he fare with #Giants or #Jets? I asked his coach.

"He will be eating New York out of his hands because he truly is a person who can handle all types,. There’s a brute toughness to New York, and Rome has that. There’s also the glitz and glam. Guess what? He’s going to make those plays, too.”

Randy Mueller's top 10 prospects

Excerpt:

Quote:
3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Before you say I’m nuts for putting Odunze so high, read the slight (and I mean slight) hesitations I have with the other two receivers in this group. NFL evaluators are much more critical than those outside team buildings. I have zero doubts about Odunze and his game. He can get away from tight coverage. He can run and accelerate in space. He can beat press technique at the line of scrimmage. He runs all kinds of routes and catches everything. He is also a good blocker, which will aid his team’s run game. He might not have the wow of Malik Nabers with his game-changing explosiveness, but he might be the “cleanest” of the wide receiver options.

The more I see of Odunze, the more I'm going to be pissed off when Chicago inevitably passes on him. :huh:

I feel like they are going to do absolutely EVERYTHING in their power to load him up w weapons... It's their first "frenchise" qb in how long?

If he's there, he's a bear, imo.

Maybe but Bowers is the ultra Waldron weapon. Waldron used 13 personnel (3te) 2nd most in the league the last two years. He's got Moore and Allen. From a bpa standpoint, I like Bowers a little more. From a positional depth standpoint, plenty of exceptional WRs to grab in this draft. There's no one comparable to Bowers.

The more I see of Odunze, the more I'm going to be pissed off when Chicago inevitably passes on him. :huh:

I feel like they are going to do absolutely EVERYTHING in their power to load him up w weapons... It's their first "frenchise" qb in how long?

If he's there, he's a bear, imo.

Maybe but Bowers is the ultra Waldron weapon. Waldron used 13 personnel (3te) 2nd most in the league the last two years. He's got Moore and Allen. From a bpa standpoint, I like Bowers a little more. From a positional depth standpoint, plenty of exceptional WRs to grab in this draft. There's no one comparable to Bowers.

That's fair too. Regardless, I think they're going to load Caleb up to the rim

Kevin Clark
Rome Odunze watches tape of two NFL stars: Davante Adams and Keenan Allen. He details what he's looking at, and the specific move he's trying to take from @tae15adams. "He has that basketball footwork, kind of like a crossover."

Chris Simms
Appreciate the shout out @bykevinclark
And Rome is a great kid. Smart kid. Probably one of the safer picks in the Draft

I own the 1.03 pick and I have a good feeling about Rome Odunze, so I'll stick with drafting him at 1.03. However, I must admit I'm not too excited about the Giant's possible landing spot.

Bob McGinn's draft series begins

Excerpt:

ROME ODUNZE, Washington (6-3, 220, 4.44, 1): “He’s a better route-running A.J. Brown from Philly,” one scout said. “He’s going to be a good, strong, built-to-last player.” Redshirted in 2020 before making 29 starts from 2021-’23. “I enjoyed watching his progression over the years,” a second scout said. “He’s very polished but he’s (also) a force as a blocker. He plays well without the ball, so to speak, because of splits, assignments, running routes when maybe the ball’s going in another direction. He’s really come on and gotten better and better. He’s going to be a very solid, solid player in the NFL. He’s not as flashy as the first two but he’s got a flair … some pizazz.” His totals for receptions, yards and TD catches increased each year. “He’s a great kid,” said a third scout. “It would not surprise me if Odunze ended up being the best of the class. What’s crazy is he had production and there were three receivers (at Washington) that are getting drafted.” Finished with 214 receptions for 3,272 (15.3) and 24 TDs. “Size, speed, great makeup football and person,” said a fourth scout. “Competitive, tough, all about football. Wants to achieve. Good hands. This guy’s a good football player. He’s faster (than Davante Adams). He only ran 4.56.” Vertical jump of 39, broad jump of 10-4. “He’s good, but I have some issues with his quickness and his ability to separate,” said a fifth scout. “He’s strong, but his lack of explosiveness really bothered me. I think he’ll be a solid pro. Nothing special.” From Las Vegas. “He’s got rare ball skills that you won’t miss on,” a sixth scout said. “But I have a feeling he’s going to end up being like a good No. 2 receiver (as opposed to) a dominant ‘X’ true No. 1.”

I think it's pretty unlikely, albeit not impossible, that he's taken first... But he does have the best hands. and best personality/work ethic, imo

How have you gauged each players relative work ethic? Do you know them personally?

Not speaking for Soulfly, but I've made an armchair amateur's project out of this for about a week. I lost interest in analytics guys, film guys, mock guys, big board guys, etc. I think all that gives us a decent lay of the land, but this character/work ethic topic seems to be a tiebreaker at minimum and maybe career differentiating information.

All we can do online irt work ethic and character is watch, read, listen and make cautious assumptions. One assumption I've made is it's generally bad form for coaches and teammates to speak poorly of the prospects they know so well. So sometimes silence is a clue. On the other hand, insiders, beat reporters and even game announcers share intel, good or bad. With the negative I'm willing to take it with more than just a grain of salt. I'm fully accepting of the positive.

By all accounts Odunze is aces irt character and work ethic.

Users who are viewing this thread