What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Xavier Worthy, KC (2 Viewers)

David J. Gautieri
There is ONLY 1 WR in this class who put up 900+ receiving yards as a TRUE FRESHMAN.

His name is Xavier Worthy.

David J. Gautieri
WR’s in the 2024 class with 100+ targets every season of their career:

⁃ Xavier Worthy

END LIST.

Nick Penticoff
Xavier Worthy during the 2023 season.

247 - wide
150 - slot
37.7 slot %
62.1 wide %

463 YAC
6.9 YAC/REC

2.31 YPRR
10.3 ADOT
11 MTF

6.9 DRP%

Holy smokes he was FLYING. How much higher in the draft did he just move up after his 40
Ideally it wouldn't.

Great that he rocked his 40, everyone knew he'd be 4.3 or better though. He also came in 2 inches and 7 pounds smaller than he was listed as Texas. Personally, that means more than his 40 time in my opinion, not like him being super fast was a surprise.

He goes in the 1st round, someone is gonna really regret it on my opinion. The Darnell Mooney comp feels fair to me, with MAYBE a Hollywood Brown ceiling. Top-4 WR is really bold, not sure he's in my top-10.

Holy smokes he was FLYING. How much higher in the draft did he just move up after his 40
Ideally it wouldn't.

Great that he rocked his 40, everyone knew he'd be 4.3 or better though. He also came in 2 inches and 7 pounds smaller than he was listed as Texas. Personally, that means more than his 40 time in my opinion, not like him being super fast was a surprise.

He goes in the 1st round, someone is gonna really regret it on my opinion. The Darnell Mooney comp feels fair to me, with MAYBE a Hollywood Brown ceiling. Top-4 WR is really bold, not sure he's in my top-10.

Why so down on him? I loved what I saw. He ain't some track guy. Is it his size or that and other stuff?

Ideally it wouldn't.

Honest question - shouldn’t he have done better in college than he did if he’s this fast AND otherwise a good receiver?

165 pounds is concerning
a bit, yes. Marquise brown was able to add weight after being a real lightweight. Still weighs less than most of us but he’s done alright.
Worthy just didn’t look that good the few times I saw him play. Whereas Thomas, Wilson and others did.
Somebody will fall for the speed though. It worked for Ross, Ginn, DHB, etc

Honest question - shouldn’t he have done better in college than he did if he’s this fast AND otherwise a good receiver?
He was not really a slouch though, played with some good players and led the team in receptions and yardage all 3 years and finished first in TD's all but one of those seasons otherwise he'd have triple crowned it 3x. Did so while only being 18-20 is also pretty noteworthy.

He was not really a slouch though, played with some good players and led the team in receptions and yardage all 3 years and finished first in TD's all but one of those seasons otherwise he'd have triple crowned it 3x. Did so while only being 18-20 is also pretty noteworthy.
Hmm, I smell Worthy going at 1.06 in the FBG FFPC league :oldunsure:

Ideally it wouldn't.

Why so down on him? I loved what I saw. He ain't some track guy. Is it his size or that and other stuff?
Pretty much that. I think he's really easy to re-route, pretty much any CB can jam him. Also somewhat concerning that there is very few highlights of him winning downfield. Its mostly screens and quick outs.

Its also somewhat of an issue for me that he never really improved from his freshman year. If I were a team looking to improve my pass catching weaponry, he'd be my 3rd choice just from Texas.

Ideally, he goes somewhere where he's not a defensive priority and can get free releases against subpackage CBs. Someone like Philly or San Fran on day 2 would be interesting.

Ideally it wouldn't.

Pretty much that. I think he's really easy to re-route, pretty much any CB can jam him. Also somewhat concerning that there is very few highlights of him winning downfield. Its mostly screens and quick outs.

Its also somewhat of an issue for me that he never really improved from his freshman year. If I were a team looking to improve my pass catching weaponry, he'd be my 3rd choice just from Texas.

Ideally, he goes somewhere where he's not a defensive priority and can get free releases against subpackage CBs. Someone like Philly or San Fran on day 2 would be interesting.
👍🏽 ideally, a place where he can return kicks and be the WR4 or along those lines could work well.
Chargers at 37 could be great for him.
That seems really low given the speed, right from the whole player.
But watch Miami take him.

I have Worthy in two DEVY leagues and I like him more today than last week. I worry less about his size and more about his concentration and ability to fight a defender for positioning. He has to beat defenders with his quickness and can. I'm also concerned about his effort at times. He's the perfect WR in today's NFL and if he lands in a spot with a competent QB and a coach who will scheme him correctly. He has enormous fantasy potential. . Someone else said it, he has Tyreek Hill potential, but I also think he has high bust potential if the team that drafts him doesn't use him correctly. He will get lost on the wrong team.

Last edited:
Someone else said it, he has Tyreek Hill potential...

Oh my. I hope you're not referring to my comment saying he looked like Tyreek on some plays. That's a far cry from Tyreek Potential. I liked Worthy a little more than most going into the combine, and a little less than most after. That's because my opinion hasn't changed. I don't know how or where to rank WRs 7-14. But he's in there somewhere. I did watch Texas a bunch last season. My two week old comment is the thing that really stood out to me is how easily BOTH wrs got open. It was silly to watch. Because Xavier runs such good routes and has such great short area quicks, I said I like him better than Adonai, but it's close and who the heck knows? Ignore the straight line speed comment above. It's uninformed. That's not Xavier's strength though he has it in spades.

Adonai also ran a blazing 40 at 6-2 205, 4.35. My opinion of him changed a little. I like him more and that's because of the surprising speed and overall athletic performance across the board yesterday.

What Xavier did that looked like Tyreek was two things. He is great at tracking balls that are not perfectly thrown. Tyreek does that as well as any wr in the game. Xavier is an absolute handful after catching short and intermediate routes, like Tyreek. But saying he has Tyreek Potential is a bridge too far for me. Tyreek is a straight HoFer.

Oh my. I hope you're not referring to my comment saying he looked like Tyreek on some plays. That's a far cry from Tyreek Potential. I liked Worthy a little more than most going into the combine, and a little less than most after. That's because my opinion hasn't changed. I don't know how or where to rank WRs 7-14. But he's in there somewhere. I did watch Texas a bunch last season. My two week old comment is the thing that really stood out to me is how easily BOTH wrs got open. It was silly to watch. Because Xavier runs such good routes and has such great short area quicks, I said I like him better than Adonai, but it's close and who the heck knows? Ignore the straight line speed comment above. It's uninformed. That's not Xavier's strength though he has it in spades.

Adonai also ran a blazing 40 at 6-2 205, 4.35. My opinion of him changed a little. I like him more and that's because of the surprising speed and overall athletic performance across the board yesterday.

What Xavier did that looked like Tyreek was two things. He is great at tracking balls that are not perfectly thrown. Tyreek does that as well as any wr in the game. Xavier is an absolute handful after catching short and intermediate routes, like Tyreek. But saying he has Tyreek Potential is a bridge too far for me. Tyreek is a straight HoFer.
I believe I followed up what could go wrong while saying he has Tyreek potential. Don't lose sight of that. He has plenty of bust in him. Usage on the right team will be key for Worthy.

If you're going to fade the combine for any NFL position, it's likely best to do it for wide receivers. The 40-yard dash at other drills have huge effects on WR draft position, but little for actual NFL value

Yeah, football is a game of skills developed over many years and revealed in many games over many years. The combine is a one day test of... stuff not necessarily relevant to those skills.

Yeah, football is a game of skills developed over many years and revealed in many games over many years. The combine is a one day test of... stuff not necessarily relevant to those skills.
Teams know this, but they still will jump on the fast 40. My Raiders did it forever. Teams still do it.

Teams know this, but they still will jump on the fast 40. My Raiders did it forever. Teams still do it.

I remember going to a Raiders game long ago. James Jett was so fast it was silly to try to cover him. Then again there was little reason to try to cover him because he wasn't catching anything.

I don't know how or where to rank WRs 7-14.
Just a curious aside. Who is your other top-6 WR, since you say 7-14 is the muddled part? There are 5 that I see consistently at the top (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, Franklin). The sixth isn't obvious, so just curious who you've got.

Those and McConkey.

eta: there was a comment recently that the top three are more likely to all bust than all hit. i disagree strongly. the top three are all gonna hit. that thinking does apply to my next three for sure.

If you're going to fade the combine for any NFL position, it's likely best to do it for wide receivers. The 40-yard dash at other drills have huge effects on WR draft position, but little for actual NFL value

Cooper Kupp, Jerry Rice, Amon, Hopkins, Adams, Puka. Not fast in the 40, but good game speed, physical, and nice footwork. Amon and Puka are recent draft misses by GMs, 4th and 5th round.

I don't know how or where to rank WRs 7-14.
Just a curious aside. Who is your other top-6 WR, since you say 7-14 is the muddled part? There are 5 that I see consistently at the top (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas, Franklin). The sixth isn't obvious, so just curious who you've got.

Those and McConkey.

eta: there was a comment recently that the top three are more likely to all bust than all hit. i disagree strongly. the top three are all gonna hit. that thinking does apply to my next three for sure.
👍🏽 I still like Roman Wilson better for FF.
Worthy probably has more NFL value than FF.

Per Rap Sheet-
Worthy is now WR4 in this group, a first round pick.
Odd because I don't think any of the 4.2 WRs have ever panned out in the NFL.
In Worthy's defense, I believe he's more of a football player than the John Ross', Heyward-Bey's of the world. I still have Brian Thomas Jr. over him and it isn't close.

Ruggs was on the cusp of it before his—his . . . I don't know what to call it. Accident sounds wrong. He was on the cusp of panning out before his devastatingly reckless actions with an automobile.

I still like Roman Wilson better for FF.
Wilson's numbers at the combine were awesome.
AD Mitchell had a much better combine than Worthy did. He was close to the same athlete and 40 FREAKING POUNDS heavier. People see 165 and think, oh he can get by that weight, he's so fast.

Great, maybe he can.

But to run and jump almost as well as that guy, but be 40 pounds heavier? That's massive. That weight will show up every single game as an advantage over Worthy. Every single game. Blocking a safety on a run. Fighting off man to man on a slant.

Last edited:
Per Rap Sheet-
Worthy is now WR4 in this group, a first round pick.
In Worthy's defense, I believe he's more of a football player than the John Ross', Heyward-Bey's of the world. I still have Brian Thomas Jr. over him and it isn't close.

Agree. He isn't some guy who started playing football because the HS coach saw him on the track team. He's played every year since he was a wee lad. He's a baller. He's just small and I get the concern there. Leaning into a DB at speed before veering the other way has become a big deal for route running, and little guys don't pull that off often. But he has a nice route tree. His hands were hot and cold. A little digging revealed the cold part was playing with a broken hand. I think I was surprised Adonai ran 4.35 because he looked slow playing alongside his teammate. :lol:

AD Mitchell had a much better combine than Worthy did. He was close to the same athlete and 40 FREAKING POUNDS heavier. People see 165 and think, oh he can get at that weight, he's so fast.

Great, maybe he can.

But to run and jump almost as well as that guy, but be 40 pounds heavier? That's massive. That weight will show up every single game as an advantage over Worthy. Every single game. Blocking a safety on a run. Fighting off man to man on a slant.

Agree again, but let's not forget how good Tank Dell looked last year. Also in the 160s. A common theme with Cecil and Sigmund last season was the emergence of the little guys in many modern schemes. Worthy plays bigger than Tank. He has surprising contact balance and has scored some long ones after taking a big hit.

Nevertheless, and not wanting to put too much weight on the combine, Adonai was the big winner yesterday despite the the 4.21 40 record. I think I saw overall athletic grades for WRs from the event ranking Mitchell #1 and Worthy #4. No wonder they both got open so easily when I watched them.

AD Mitchell had a much better combine than Worthy did. He was close to the same athlete and 40 FREAKING POUNDS heavier. People see 165 and think, oh he can get at that weight, he's so fast.

Great, maybe he can.

Agree again, but let's not forget how good Tank Dell looked last year. Also in the 160s. A common theme with Cecil and Sigmund last season was the emergence of the little guys in many modern schemes. Worthy plays bigger than Tank. He has surprising contact balance and has scored some long ones after taking a big hit.

Nevertheless, and not wanting to put too much weight on the combine, Adonai was the big winner yesterday despite the the 4.21 40 record. I think I saw overall athletic grades for WRs from the event ranking Mitchell #1 and Worthy #4. No wonder they both got open so easily when I watched them.
Tank Dell might have made worthy millions.

again, but let's not forget how good Tank Dell looked last year
Or Keke Coutee? :whistle:

I missed on Dell last year, and he means I cannot dismiss guys these small anymore. Maybe it's the league changing. We will see. It seems like it is.

But I still expect a discount on someone in fantasy drafts because they are that small. And actually, in the real draft as well.

I might think he's the next Tank Dell, but because he's that small, I don't want him in the 1st round.

Hmm, I smell Worthy going at 1.06 in the FBG FFPC league :oldunsure:
Truly no I won't like him over my other prospects that high, just trying to address the thought that he's just a speed guy who never did anything. As I'm typing this I see the last message left in this thread referencing some fast WR who could not catch a cold. This guys has done a lot more to not deserve to be lumped into that kind of category.

A true junior who exploded for a 39% dominator rating in his freshman season, Xavier Worthy is almost as notable for his early breakout as he is for his blazing speed. He hit a top speed of 22.7 mph on a punt return in 2023, faster than any other FBS player in a game environment. A former high school track star, Worthy’s name is often mentioned in lists of players who could break the 4.3 second barrier in the forty at Indianapolis and he did!

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread