What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Xavier Worthy, KC (1 Viewer)

Tyler Dunne
Scouts all over the place on Xavier Worthy to @BobMcGinn.

One sure loves him:

“If Worthy’s on the field you’re backing the f--k up and it’s a Tyreek Hillfest opening up the middle of the field all day long. He’s a true “Z’ that can run by anybody in the NFL. He’s a true “Z’ that can run by anybody in the NFL. I’d put him behind Waddle coming out but ahead of Marquise Brown.”

Any wr that KC drafts is going to be an immediate hot commodity
This isn't another Skyy Moore or Mecole Hardman hype player IMO. He brings a lot more to the position than they do.
I agree, but at the same, time, he still just feels like a better version of those guys. Really surprised they didn't go with a more traditional X receiver. Because while Worthy should shoot up to the top of the pecking order, they still have to lineup players up at the other spots lol. Worthy's strengths are not route running, separating, or beating man coverage. He's arguably below average at the latter, especially when he's not coming out of motion or getting a free release. And he's pretty terrible at press coverage, more so than you can attribute just to his size. Of the games I watched, he got swallowed by Alabama and Washington, the non Big12 schools. Small sample size and don't wanna get into the unwinnable debate about college defenses/conferences. But I think it's noteworthy. Not trying to crap on the kid, but he also didn't show much IMO at YAC (outside broken plays downfield obv.) and was bad at contested catches. All this to reiterate, I don't think he's usable outside.

If KC somehow trades up, or gets lucky and has a solid X fall to them; man will I love this pick a hell of a lot more. But at this point, even if they had Worthy graded as the best WR available for them, it's one of the times I think they should have taken offensive fit more into consideration than just pure talent.

Edit: I'll say for what Worthy's talents ARE, the coaches and Mahomes should be able to use him smartly and get a lot out of him. I think he'll be a good WR in real world and fantasy, but from a team perspective, I really don't get it.

Not sure how reliable in fantasy he will be consistently but I will say KC lining up empty backfield with Kelce/Rice/Worthy/Brown/Toney should be a terrifying thought to OCs

Any wr that KC drafts is going to be an immediate hot commodity
This isn't another Skyy Moore or Mecole Hardman hype player IMO. He brings a lot more to the position than they do.
I agree, but at the same, time, he still just feels like a better version of those guys. Really surprised they didn't go with a more traditional X receiver. Because while Worthy should shoot up to the top of the pecking order, they still have to lineup players up at the other spots lol. Worthy's strengths are not route running, separating, or beating man coverage. He's arguably below average at the latter, especially when he's not coming out of motion or getting a free release. And he's pretty terrible at press coverage, more so than you can attribute just to his size. Of the games I watched, he got swallowed by Alabama and Washington, the non Big12 schools. Small sample size and don't wanna get into the unwinnable debate about college defenses/conferences. But I think it's noteworthy. Not trying to crap on the kid, but he also didn't show much IMO at YAC (outside broken plays downfield obv.) and was bad at contested catches. All this to reiterate, I don't think he's usable outside.

If KC somehow trades up, or gets lucky and has a solid X fall to them; man will I love this pick a hell of a lot more. But at this point, even if they had Worthy graded as the best WR available for them, it's one of the times I think they should have taken offensive fit more into consideration than just pure talent.

Edit: I'll say for what Worthy's talents ARE, the coaches and Mahomes should be able to use him smartly and get a lot out of him. I think he'll be a good WR in real world and fantasy, but from a team perspective, I really don't get it.
The (lack of) physicality is definitely a concern, but I think he's undersold as a route runner/separator. SumerSports used tracking data to profile 16 of this year's WR prospects (MHJ through Brenden Rice), and of that group, Worthy generated the most separation per route and the second most YAC per reception. People see the small frame and record 40 time and tend to lump him in with other one-dimensional burners like John Ross or Jaylin Hyatt, but that's a mistake IMO. He has some juice as an actual WR. The coaching staff will need be creative in how they align and motion him in order to produce clean releases, and he landed in the perfect spot for that with Andy Reid. It's also worth noting that Worthy has a lot of the analytical "green flags" that are characteristic of good future pros - age 18.5 breakout year, early declare, 30.7% college dominator score, etc.

I will say that as a Chiefs fan, I was honestly hoping for an X receiver, too. But of the WR prospects who could reasonably be expected to contribute in year 1, MHJ, Rome, BTJ, and AD Mitchell are the only true X guys IMO. Three of those four were out of reach and the other one has off-field baggage, which I don't blame the team for avoiding given recent events. The other big WRs like Keon, Legette, and Franklin struggle so much against press coverage that I don't think they can live outside in the pros - power slot or flanker roles would probably get more out of them. An even-tempered AD Mitchell would've been perfect for the Chiefs, that prospect just didn't exist.

when you are basically drafting at the end of the first round every year.....you probably aren't going to be able to find perfect fits....I like the swing for the fence approach....should be fun to watch..... seems like a good kid.....fills a need regardless of what happens with Rice....lot of upside on team that can afford luxury picks on occasion....

In my dynasty league, I remember Skyy Moore going ahead of Chris Olave and George Pickens (because Mahomes>Pickett or Winston) and I am expecting something similar to play out on drafts this season. Interestingly, Rashee Rice didn't get that push up boards last year, likely because of Moore, so I think an overcorrection pushing up Worthy could happen again.

ETA: I think the John Ross argument is pushing it a lot, but at the same time so is any Tyreek or D-Jax argument. This feels like Hollywood teaming up with a less polished version of himself in KC.

Users who are viewing this thread