What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (1 Viewer)

On the advice of my boss (not a doctor) I started my prep a couple of hours early.  So took the four Dulcolax tablets at 3pm and then started the first round of Miralax/Gatorade at 4pm.  Made my first trip to the bathroom at 5:45pm.  Probably could have gone sooner but I at least wanted to finish the first round of Miralax first (fourth 8 oz. drink at 5:30pm).

Started the second round of Miralax/Gatorade at 9pm and finished at 10:30pm.  Went to the bathroom for the second time around 11pm then about 3 more times up to midnight.  Woke up at 2:45am and went a couple of times and fell back asleep again a little after 3am.  I was feeling a little more woozy and dehydrated at that point.

Alarm went off at 6am and went again.  Really it was just all water since 11pm on prep day.  Got ready to head to the clinic and decided to go one more time.  It was all water but had the urge and didn't want to have some kind of accident later or leak on the table or worse lol.  Got to the clinic a little before 7am and while I was waiting for them to open the office doors I went one last time in the restroom.  Finally had some air so I figured/hoped I was just about cleared out.

They called me back and got me prepped and I still could feel my stomach churning but I figured we'd just all have to deal with it at that point.  They took me back to the room, talked to me a bit, put me out, and I woke up in recovery feeling much better in general.  My stomach felt less like bowel urges and more like gas and hunger, so that was a bit more comfortable.  Came home and rested a an hour or so then headed to IHOP.

No polyps or issues, see you back in 10 years :hifive: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m 45. FORTY-FIVE.

How did this happen?

How does this work? Should I get a woman doctor? Do they still use their hands? Do I need to measure their writs?

FML

I'm 52 and just had an appt to re-establish myself with a PCP a couple of weeks ago (first time I've been to a doctor in over 4 years), and he said based on family history, current health, etc. that he recommended Cologuard rather than a colonoscopy, so going to give that a whirl.

LOOK AT ME I GET TO POOP IN A COLLECTION BUCKET AND SHIP IT IN A BOX VIA UPS!

What can Brown do for you, indeed.

I turned 52 recently and just had my first colonoscopy. The prep day was the worst of it. Drinking the magnesium citrate was pretty brutal.
Speaking of, there was a recall on MC and I couldn't find it anywhere. My wife bought two extras during her last colonoscopy and left them in the refrigerator. The only problem is that they were dated 2011🤑. I had already rescheduled this thing once already and didn't want to again so I used what I had. Man it was awful. Tasted like soured vinegar with a splash of lemon.

Well I got there and the last thing I remember was them telling me that the anesthesia may put a metallic taste in my mouth. Woke up in recovery and no polyps. Told my wife that I had a few blisters and I needed more fiber in my diet. Other than that everything is fine. See you in 2032.

Having my first on Monday - is it really 10 years between procedures? That seems like an awfully long time
If you’re clean, 10 years is normal
I can remember being under less-than-knockout anesthesia for my first colonoscopy. I remember the doctor telling the assistants, "he's a polyp factory". Had something like 14 polyps, of which 12 were the "bad" kind. Been going for a colonoscopy every 3 years since.

I turned 52 recently and just had my first colonoscopy. The prep day was the worst of it. Drinking the magnesium citrate was pretty brutal.
Speaking of, there was a recall on MC and I couldn't find it anywhere. My wife bought two extras during her last colonoscopy and left them in the refrigerator. The only problem is that they were dated 2011🤑. I had already rescheduled this thing once already and didn't want to again so I used what I had. Man it was awful. Tasted like soured vinegar with a splash of lemon.

Well I got there and the last thing I remember was them telling me that the anesthesia may put a metallic taste in my mouth. Woke up in recovery and no polyps. Told my wife that I had a few blisters and I needed more fiber in my diet. Other than that everything is fine. See you in 2032.

WTF

WTF
The doctor probably used “blister” as layspeak for diverticuli, which are outpouchings of the colon promoted by bad dietary habits.

Having my first one in 2 weeks, it's a colonoscopy/endoscopy combo. Going in both ends.

Not looking forward to it.

I’m 3 hours in to my prep - not fun but so far it’s not horrible. Hoping to get through this phase in the next few hours so I can get some sleep

I start my prep this afternoon for tomorrows roto-rooter.

Instructions:

2pm: take 2 dulcolax laxative tablets

3pm: drink 1 bottle of Clenpiq.
Immediately follow the Clenpiq with five 8oz glasses of clear liquid with 1 dose of Miralax in each glass

6pm: drink the 2nd bottle of Clenpiq Immediately followed by three 8oz glasses of clear liquid (without Miralax)

Seems easy enough.

Just drank my first bottle of thick stuff and have downed 3 of 5 glasses of apple juice/water mix with powdered laxative in them. Gotta force the last 2 glasses down.

No effects yet, but I can tell this isn't gonna be fun or pretty.

Edit: I weighed 194lbs before I started prep

Just drank my first bottle of thick stuff and have downed 3 of 5 glasses of apple juice/water mix with powdered laxative in them. Gotta force the last 2 glasses down.

No effects yet, but I can tell this isn't gonna be fun or pretty.

Edit: I weighed 194lbs before I started prep
You are correct

4 trips to the toilet in the last 45 min or so, and it's been like turning on a faucet. Just nice, effortless gushing. No discomfort whatsoever so far.

Welp that was much ado about nothing.

Made several trips to the bathroom, but other than that it was a pretty normal night.

Procedure is at 9am tomorrow, I can't wait to eat afterwards.

Last edited:
Dan Patrick said after his recent colonoscopy that he didn't have to do the gallon of liquid prep. apparently it's a new development in the last year. ask your doctor about it, just in case that's an option.

I’m 3 hours in to my prep - not fun but so far it’s not horrible. Hoping to get through this phase in the next few hours so I can get some sleep

Never came back and updated this but the whole process ended up not being too horrible. I had a afternoon appt. which I would try and make first thing next time but doing half the liquid the night before and the other half first thing the next morning wasn't horrible.

I was starving after and probably ate a little too heavy that next meal.

Ended up having one polyp removed (benign) and don't have to come back for 5 years.

Checking in. Went to the doctor yesterday for the first time in 3.5 years for a check-up. Wasn't excited to hear that I am +25 pounds since that last time I was there. I was in the height of Keto I believe then so I was at my lowest weight in a while. Probably need to hop back on that diet and get back down to something more manageable.

Have to schedule my first colonoscopy, a full blood panel (esp. interested in Cholesterol and Blood Sugar level) and getting a Coronary Calcium test on the docket as well.

Oh, also went to a dermatologist a couple of weeks back for a mole checkup and to get a skin tag removed. Also got something checked out on my forehead that turned out to be Basal Cell Carcinoma so I need to schedule a Mohs surgery to take care of that. It's pretty small and was barely noticeable but I'm glad I got it checked out.

Dan Patrick said after his recent colonoscopy that he didn't have to do the gallon of liquid prep. apparently it's a new development in the last year. ask your doctor about it, just in case that's an option.

Reading this thread it seems like there are at least a dozen different prep instructions. The guys prescribing the gallon of devil's gatorade are just laughing at us.

From old yeller to yoga pants to the political forum (all of them RIP) and here I am posting in the old farts thread. Had my first colonoscopy today and, like others said, it wasn't bad. My prep included 12 decent-sized laxative pills with a half gallon of water, spread out over two hours. Then wake up at 3AM to repeat that process. The second round was a bear because there wasn't anything in my belly and those 12 pills made me pretty nauseous. But I kept it down and let it out, and rolled pretty effortlessly into my 8AM procedure. The waiting stunk because I was so hungry but the sedative they gave me was pretty incredible. Literally count 1, 2, 3 and you're out. Complete blackness, like sleep but more empty. Woke up and it was over. Two small polyps removed. Need to wait to hear about those. Repeat in 5 years. The brunch afterwards was one of the best meals I've had in a long time both due to quality and ravenousness.

They can now prescribe 12 pills (SuTab) instead of any of that other stuff you all have been doing/drinking. My procedure is scheduled for 3pm. I can eat until 10am the day before, then it's clear liquids and jello the rest of that day. At 5pm that day, I take 4 pills. Repeat 15 minutes later, and then repeat one last time fifteen minutes after that. I'm expecting bathroom fireworks shortly thereafter. In the morning at 10, I do another round of 12 pills spaced fifteen minutes apart. I can drink gatorade or water or whatever. So if you don't want to drink all that crap or take Mirolax ask your doc about the SuTab pills.

Got my Cologuard results back.last week, all good for 3 years.

I do wish the box you have to send your poo back in didn't have the big Cologuard logo on it so everyone knows what is in it. Felt bad for the UPS guy who had to pick it up off my porch. I left him a Baby Ruth bar on top of the box as a peace offering, but not sure if he got the humor

Last edited:

I do wish the box you have to send your poo back in didn't have the big Cologuard logo on it so everyone knows what is in it. Felt bad for the UPS guy who had to pick it up off my porch. I left him a Baby Ruth bar on top of the box as a peace offering, but not sure if he got the humor

Might as well put a big poop emoji on the box.
🙂
-QG

They can now prescribe 12 pills (SuTab) instead of any of that other stuff you all have been doing/drinking. My procedure is scheduled for 3pm. I can eat until 10am the day before, then it's clear liquids and jello the rest of that day. At 5pm that day, I take 4 pills. Repeat 15 minutes later, and then repeat one last time fifteen minutes after that. I'm expecting bathroom fireworks shortly thereafter. In the morning at 10, I do another round of 12 pills spaced fifteen minutes apart. I can drink gatorade or water or whatever. So if you don't want to drink all that crap or take Mirolax ask your doc about the SuTab pills.
My SuTab regimen was 12 big pills in round one and then another 12 pills in round two. The second round was the real bear for me.

Colonoscopy pre-meetup today. All good and scheduled for early afternoon on February 1st.

Can't wait to start the first dose of Colon Blow at 6:45a that morning.

Had my first one earlier this week. 4 ducolax and then the Gatorade with Mira lax the day before. 5 hours before procedure anothe 28oz Gatorade with Mira lax. Lots of fluid coming through and cleaned me out just fine. I will say for anyone reading this and expecting a procedure in the future…go over to the bidet thread and read up. I fortunately have a bidet toilet seat in one bathroom and it was SO nice to use during the fast and furious times of the prep. Highly recommend.

Colonoscopy pre-meetup today. All good and scheduled for early afternoon on February 1st.

Can't wait to start the first dose of Colon Blow at 6:45a that morning.
Anyone have experience with Clenpiq as a colon cleanser? Apparently, that is what is covered by my insurance so that's what I'm going to be using.

Two small bottles and a bunch of water.

Sounds fun.

I need to do my first one. Not looking forward to this. I read the Hippo’s OP and first 2 pages. Talk about demotivating. :lmao:

I hope my doc rec’d these pills you guys mentioned.

Here's a prep tip I got off the interwebs. Coat your dookiechute with vaseline BEFORE anything starts coming out. Then once things start shaking loose, use baby wipes with aloe. After you're clean, put more vaseline on some TP and reapply for the next round. It's not just the wiping that makes you raw, it's all that liquid blasting out of you 15 to 20 times. I just finished my first one yesterday; it wasn't horrible and I'm on the "return in 10 years" plan. Good luck to everyone.

Here's a prep tip I got off the interwebs. Coat your dookiechute with vaseline BEFORE anything starts coming out. Then once things start shaking loose, use baby wipes with aloe. After you're clean, put more vaseline on some TP and reapply for the next round. It's not just the wiping that makes you raw, it's all that liquid blasting out of you 15 to 20 times. I just finished my first one yesterday; it wasn't horrible.

A bidet makes all that unnecessary.

I was planning on fasting for 2 days prior. Does that help or make a difference at all? My biggest fear is sprouting a geyser while the camera is up in there.

I was planning on fasting for 2 days prior. Does that help or make a difference at all? My biggest fear is sprouting a geyser while the camera is up in there.
Not necessary, just make sure you don't eat the things a week in advance that they tell you not to (corn, popcorn, stuff with seeds, etc). It is really much ado about nothing. The prep will clean you out and you won't have the urges to go any more before you go to sleep the night before. Almost no chance you pop a geyser, but even if you did, you will be knocked out and it will give them a story :D

Hope it goes well and they don't find anything concerning.

I did this today. We have this bougie UPS place near my house called Sip and Ship. I got there right as they opened hoping UPS came a few times a day.

No one was in there except the woman who I think owns the place and the person who makes their espresso drinks (The ”Sip” in Sip and Ship).

I had the box in a paper bag and asked where to put UPS packages…she said right on this shelf right next to the counter, highly visible and mine was the only package. Well OK, here you go.

I asked when UPS comes and she says 4:30 :lol:

I got the hell out of there.

Took the first bottle of ClenPiq at 5:30a. First deposit was at 6:40a. Drank a bunch of water and took the second bottle around 9a followed by a bunch more water. Had to be at the Endoscopy office at 12:30p. They were backed up (haha) so I wasn't taken back until 1:30p or so. Was out of there by 2:45p. Slightly woozy from the anesthesia still (2 out of 10) but other than that, things went well.

All clear for 10 more years until the next exam.

The doctor saw a little diverticulitis but nothing that more fiber shouldn't help.

I hope the best for you all. I had my first colonoscopy beginning of Nov 22 @ age 57, they couldn't complete the procedure because of a donut shaped mass. 3 weeks later they cut the colon cancer out of me. I feel great, they got it all without chemo or radiation. I highly encourage everyone to get the procedure. I got lucky....

Users who are viewing this thread