What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colts Off-season Thread [Merged] (1 Viewer)

-OZ-

Footballguy
I realize there have been other threads on the Colts, so if this is a complete honda, forgive me.A few questions up front.1. How likely is it that both Edge and Wayne return to Indy?2. Which of these 2 is a better player?3. Which can be replaced easier? Just my thinking, but I'm saying 1. Not likely, 2. Edge, 3. WayneI would expect Indy to look at the draft first, but I don't see them landing either a franchise back or a top WR this year, so I look at the free agent market.Sure there are a lot of backs available on the market, but none are close to Edge's caliber, and none really provide much else except maybe pass protection (?)What WRs are available?I see one that at least IMO, makes sense.Antwaan Randle El. Bear with me, I know I'll get "he's not a #2 WR" comments.First, I disagree with that assessment, but can consider it fair for now.Second, he'll be cheaper than Wayne.Third, he's a better Punt returner and probably KR than anyone on the Colts team.Fourth, he's a local player, having played at Indiana University.Fifth, he's probably a better QB than Sorgi.Feel free to tell me I'm way off here, but explain why.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see Wayne and Edge being kept. I think Edge is a goner. Even though Edge is a better player than Wayne, the RB market is glutted with players - even more so now that there are potential 4 RBs that will likely be 1st rounders - and guys like Thomas Jones may get cut and Ricky Williams could be available for cheap - so it is probably easier to replace a RB than a WR. Polian again repeated on his radio show this week that Wayne is going to stay a Colt - so Wayne isn't going anywhere I believe.

I don't see Wayne and Edge being kept. I think Edge is a goner.

Even though Edge is a better player than Wayne, the RB market is glutted with players - even more so now that there are potential 4 RBs that will likely be 1st rounders - and guys like Thomas Jones may get cut and Ricky Williams could be available for cheap - so it is probably easier to replace a RB than a WR.

Polian again repeated on his radio show this week that Wayne is going to stay a Colt - so Wayne isn't going anywhere I believe.
Polian has said repeatedly that Wayne stays a colt. But they wouldn't tag him would they? Doesn't talk like that just increase Wayne's demands?

I don't see Wayne and Edge being kept.  I think Edge is a goner. 

Even though Edge is a better player than Wayne, the RB market is glutted with players - even more so now that there are potential 4 RBs that will likely be 1st rounders - and guys like Thomas Jones may get cut and Ricky Williams could be available for cheap - so it is probably easier to replace a RB than a WR. 

Polian again repeated on his radio show this week that Wayne is going to stay a Colt - so Wayne isn't going anywhere I believe.
Polian has said repeatedly that Wayne stays a colt. But they wouldn't tag him would they? Doesn't talk like that just increase Wayne's demands?
I think they would tag Wayne if they had to. I don't agree with that strategy, but that is my sense of what they are thinking.

With the percentage increase that comes from franchising someone multiple years, I don't think they can afford to do that to Edge and thus he will not be back.Wayne will likely be back.Hopefully they'll draft a Maurice Drew or Devin Hester because the Colts badly need a return game. At running back a guy like Deshaun Foster, Thomas Jones or draft pick like Joseph Addai or Jerrius Norwood later on would seem to fit the offense. With Polian's comments on the oline I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 olinemen drafted in the first 4 or 5 rounds. If they don't feel that Gilbert Gardner will be able to be a starter then a guy like Ernie Simms or Thomas Howard could become a Colt.

1. How likely is it that both Edge and Wayne return to Indy?This will be uncertain until the CBA is agreed upon. But, for the moment it's unlikely.2. Which of these 2 is a better player?Edge is better, but if you factor in how much tread they have left on their tires, I would definitely take Wayne.3. Which can be replaced easier?Edge cab be replaced easier. A WR being on the same page with a QB is not something that happens overnight -- it can take years. Peyton has his own walk-thru hours before every game, something that the WR join him on. I don't believe Edge these days is the same Edge pre-injury, and he has little tread left on his tires. Rhodes, Mungro and a FA will be the call here.

I think Reggie Wayne stays. They spent all those years looking for a good compliment to Marvin Harrison that they would be crazy to let him go. Edge is really good, but they can find another RB to take his spot.

Any Colts fans that live in Indy or hear a lot of the local talk know anything about these young guys that might make a difference in what we have to acquire?1. Gilbert Gardner2. Vincent Burns3. Hagler (LB drafted this year)4. Kelvin Hayden - seen him on special teams, but do they think he will be a starter soon?

IF they let Wayne go, and based on most of the posts here that is unlikely, I would go after David Givens from the Pats. He is an excellent #2 receiver and would bring some much needed toughness to the Colts.

I don't see Wayne and Edge being kept. I think Edge is a goner.

I think they would tag Wayne if they had to. I don't agree with that strategy, but that is my sense of what they are thinking.
That's an awful high salary (I think) for a 2nd WR on a team.... I don't know the #'s off hand, but if we're talking about the average of the highest 5 at his position, we have to be talking a pretty hefty salary here.

That's an awful high salary (I think) for a 2nd WR on a team.... I don't know the #'s off hand, but if we're talking about the average of the highest 5 at his position, we have to be talking a pretty hefty salary here.
That's why I question if Wayne will actually be back.He may be, heck, he probably should be, but is he worth the $$$?

From what it sounds like around town is Wayne will be franchised..From the talk of BP on his interviews on local radio he is not happy with the running game. Bill made it sound like he wants a power running game. It sounds like Edge is not what he has in mind...I think Moroney will be the Colts pick if he is there.

From what it sounds like around town is Wayne will be franchised..

From the talk of BP on his interviews on local radio he is not happy with the running game. Bill made it sound like he wants a power running game. It sounds like Edge is not what he has in mind...I think Moroney will be the Colts pick if he is there.
Didn't Mel Kiper have the Colts taking Maroney? I doubt he slips past MN, but they could move up and get him I guess.

The missing link to the Edge/Wayne equation is Freeney. The best pass-rushing DE in the game will undoubtedly command big $$$. In order of preference and importance, I see the following pecking order:1. Freeney2. Edge3. WayneIf a guy like Stokely can net 1k yards as a #3 WR, the Colts should have no problem finding a productive replacement for Wayne as the #2 WR. Randel-El on the Colts' turf would be sick. They could also sign a larger possession receiver like Moulds or Rod Gardner. A sneaky gem could also be KRob.

For those saying that Edge will be easy to replace, here's an interesting stat for people to consider.Most Yards Per Scrimmage Per Game Played in the Modern Era (Since 1960)(Minimum 50 games played):#1 Edgerrin James 125.7 yards per gameEdge is likely to hold the All-Time record, but I don't have all the stats from the early days of football.

For those saying that Edge will be easy to replace, here's an interesting stat for people to consider.

Most Yards Per Scrimmage Per Game Played in the Modern Era (Since 1960)

(Minimum 50 games played):

#1 Edgerrin James 125.7 yards per game

Edge is likely to hold the All-Time record, but I don't have all the stats from the early days of football.
Colts will miss edge bad next year, and for years to come.Jaquars probably will bump us next year.

Thoughts?

Offhand IMO:

FAs

- I haven't completely given up on EJ staying, but pretty close. There's some discussion on the Morris-to-Colts thread on this, but generally what would you do? I don't see much on the FA market and have mixed feelings on drafting a RB high....

- I grudgingly concede they gotta sign Wayne.

- They don't "have" to but probably should ink Freeney long-term also.

- And $#%@ it, sign Thornton. I'm sick to death of seeing good LBs let go. And we wonder why we have D issues. :wall:

- Lastly budgetary concerns notwithstanding, I'm sick to death of Polian totally ignoring the FA market. Hey big guy, we know you suck at it, but avoiding it isn't helping....maybe you can hire someone on the side to help....

DRAFT

I still say defense, defense, defense....but the fact that the OL hasn't gotten the attention it needs lately became glaring in that playoff loss. Even discounting that game, they are thin and were treading water a bit anyway IMO. And of course there's the RB thing.

I think you're right that Polian plans on letting Edge walk while making best efforst to retain Wayne and Freeney. Not sure where that leaves them cap wise, but finding a RB in the draft is an economic way to make all that fit together.

Colts have done well on their line play historically, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them focus on that given how much blame [deserved or undeserved] Polian put on the line post the loss to the Stillers.

What are the chances that the Colts try to restructure Manning or Harrison to free up some cash/cap space to sign Wayne, Freeney and maybe Edge? Would doing so get them enough cap relief to do so?

I think Wayne is a great WR, but is he more valuable to the offence right now than Edge? I think Edge is more irreplacable than Wayne -- Manning can get by with Harrison, Stokely and another, cheaper WR2. Edge allows for this -- not sure another RB would keep defenses honest enough or be able to block as well.

And I would draft nothing but defense and O-line. They still have to be the favourite heading into 2006.

imho.

I understand the thinking that the Colts don't think that they can afford Edgerrin's salary expectation and I'm sure they've discussed with him what that number would be. However, what can Edgerrin expect to be offered on the free agent market? Is he going to get what he wants or something close? Or will he have to take less than he wants/feels he deserves? Can/would he sign with the Colts for less than this expected figure? Or is this an excuse for the Colts to get younger and more economical on the offensive side of the ball?

1. I still think the RB will be filled by a cheap FA and a 1st day draft pick.

2. I expect them to draft one or two Gs in the draft - possibly higher than usual.

3. That doesn't leave a lot of draft picks for defense (the Colts only have 5 draft picks this April) - but that isn't as big of a problem as it seems right now. They have a lot of rookies and younger players that have some promise that haven't played much - DE Jonathan Welsh, DE Goddard (he looked GOOD against the Cards in his only playing time), DT Sweet Pea Burns, CB Kelvin Hayden (lets see how he develops). I do think they need another LB in the draft at the very least, though - and maybe another S or CB.

4. Of course - frankly the biggest problem is that the offense self-destructs in the playoffs - and it is time to mix in some huddle with the no-huddle and have the ability to take away some of Manning's responsiblities when things aren't working. Every year Bill Polian talks about becoming more of a playoff team, and it just doesn't get fixed. They are going to have to beat a good 3-4 D or two in the playoffs - they need to finally figure out how to get that done.

2. I expect them to draft one or two Gs in the draft - possibly higher than usual.

3. That doesn't leave a lot of draft picks for defense (the Colts only have 5 draft picks this April) - but that isn't as big of a problem as it seems right now.  They have a lot of rookies and younger players that have some promise that haven't played much - DE Jonathan Welsh, DE Goddard (he looked GOOD against the Cards in his only playing time), DT Sweet Pea Burns, CB Kelvin Hayden (lets see how he develops).  I do think they need another LB in the draft at the very least, though - and maybe another S or CB. 

4.  Of course - frankly the biggest problem is that the offense self-destructs in the playoffs - and it is time to mix in some huddle with the no-huddle and have the ability to take away some of Manning's responsiblities when things aren't working.  Every year Bill Polian talks about becoming more of a playoff team, and it just doesn't get fixed.  They are going to have to beat a good 3-4 D or two in the playoffs - they need to finally figure out how to get that done.
as per usual a very, very :goodposting: This sums up where I think they are at, as well. Very deep draft for G/C's it seems, so plan on going G and G/C in the 2nd and 3rd round, as value allows. I'll be shocked if they don't trade back from 1.27 (?? I think) to early 2nd + 2nd day pick. Need another LB, as Gardner has shown talent/skill but keeps getting nagging injuries; adding depth here. I really hope they can get Thorton signed long-term at a reasonable number. Good developing depth at CB, S, TE. I honestly don't know about T's; any idea on how good the backup T's are?

Someone was asking about restructuring Manning/Harrison. I'll try to get time to look it up, but what all the Peyton bashers won't tell you is that Mannings cap hit has and will be (this season) lower than Brady's. His contract doesn't really hurt the cap until 2007/08. You probably won't see any restructuring done on it until then. Harrison's - I don't have any idea. I'd guess the same situation though. Polian has built the team's cap situation for a 2-3 year window. After 07, we're going to have to do some major re-working, or letting the real talent on the team walk.

We've never seen them do it, but I always wonder if one of these "lost" talent players could find themselves on this roster, and really have the quiet Indy atmosphere help them settle themselves. Someone like Charles Rogers. /shrug.

At RB, I think Edge is gone also. I'll be really suprised if he's around. However, I've been saying all along, I think some GM is going to make Reggie an offer (or already has, under-the-table) that he can't refuse. The Colts want and prefer to keep Reggie, I'm not denying that. I just think someone is going to steal him away. If my hunch is right, we may sse Edge get to finish his career here in Indy afterall.

3. That doesn't leave a lot of draft picks for defense (the Colts only have 5 draft picks this April) - but that isn't as big of a problem as it seems right now. They have a lot of rookies and younger players that have some promise that haven't played much - DE Jonathan Welsh, DE Goddard (he looked GOOD against the Cards in his only playing time), DT Sweet Pea Burns, CB Kelvin Hayden (lets see how he develops). I do think they need another LB in the draft at the very least, though - and maybe another S or CB.

4. Of course - frankly the biggest problem is that the offense self-destructs in the playoffs - and it is time to mix in some huddle with the no-huddle and have the ability to take away some of Manning's responsiblities when things aren't working. Every year Bill Polian talks about becoming more of a playoff team, and it just doesn't get fixed. They are going to have to beat a good 3-4 D or two in the playoffs - they need to finally figure out how to get that done.
Agreed....1. Chester Taylor, Maurice Morris, Micheal Bennett type and Joseph Addai.

2. Davin Joseph, Lutui, Simms from Ohio St. would be good picks.

3. I agree with the previous poster about trading down, they do that alot and if a RB doesn't fall to them in the second round they could trade down a couple of times... on defense draft 1 or 2 lb's (depending on how they fill about Gardner, there's usually value at DT with what they look for.

That doesn't leave a lot of draft picks for defense (the Colts only have 5 draft picks this April) - but that isn't as big of a problem as it seems right now. They have a lot of rookies and younger players that have some promise that haven't played much - DE Jonathan Welsh, DE Goddard (he looked GOOD against the Cards in his only playing time), DT Sweet Pea Burns, CB Kelvin Hayden (lets see how he develops). I do think they need another LB in the draft at the very least, though - and maybe another S or CB.
phooey. Our D typically has sucked because we keep thinking we can get by with "younger players that have some promise" - and when occasionally one DOES break out, we let him go via FA. or he's hurt a lot. etc etc. I know funds are tight but bag that BS. Keep the few proven players we have.And it's a coin flip perhaps, but if even one of those you mentioned pans out, I'll be surprised.

Agreed....

1. Chester Taylor, Maurice Morris, Micheal Bennett type and Joseph Addai.
Bennett type? ie a one-dimensional guy who gets hurt easily? No thx. The others have possibilities, but my understanding is all 3 also tend to get hurt/nicked up easily (couldn't say for sure offhand).

3. I agree with the previous poster about trading down, they do that alot
...and has bitten them in the keyster a time or 3. Depends who's there at 30. Morency would be real tempting as it stands now, if he falls.

INDIANAPOLIS — Colts president Bill Polian is gambling with Edgerrin James. Yes, he wants the two-time rushing champ carrying the ball for Indianapolis next season, but as James prepares for free agency, Polian is hoping salary-cap restrictions will help keep James from leaving.

Still, Polian believes there is a "50-50" chance of James coming back to Indy. Polian hopes to increase his odds this week when he calls Drew Rosenhaus, James' agent.

"I'm going to talk to Drew this week and see where Edge is right now, so I'd say it's probably 50-50," Polian said. "But that's an uneducated guess because I haven't spoken with Drew."

The top backs expected to become free agents aside from James are MVP Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis, who helped lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl title.

Polian could have kept James by using the franchise tag on him for the second straight year after receiver Reggie Wayne agreed to a new six-year, $39 million contract. The Colts also signed defensive lineman Raheem Brock to a five-year deal Friday.

Instead, Polian, decided against using the tag, which would have increased James' salary next season to more than $10 million.

That means James, a four-time Pro Bowl choice, would be one of the most attractive free agents available when the market opens Friday.

"Reggie was priority No. 1, and Raheem was priority No. 2," Polian said. "Now we can turn our attention to Edgerrin and David Thornton and see what we can do."

Thornton, a starting linebacker, is one of 11 unrestricted free agents on the Colts' roster.

James has said he believes his tenure in Indianapolis is over. At the Super Bowl, he said he hoped to play for a team that wanted him.

James holds Colts' franchise records for attempts (2,188), yards (9,226) and touchdowns (64). Indianapolis has reached the playoffs six times in James' seven seasons, missing the postseason in 2001 when James sat out the final 10 games after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

While they want him back, it appears the Colts are preparing for life without James.

Polian and coach Tony Dungy both acknowledged they would be looking closely at the top running backs in this year's draft for a possible replacement. Dungy also suggested signing a free agent was an option.

"There's a lot of guys that can run and do well," Dungy said. "But with so many checks at the line of scrimmage and not knowing what play you're going to run and still respond, that's what you don't know."

James has been a key blocker and receiver for two-time MVP Peyton Manning.

But James might not be the only Pro Bowl player leaving Indy.

Polian said it was likely Mike Vanderjagt, the NFL's most accurate kicker, would sign with another team. Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field goal in January's playoff game against Pittsburgh that cost the Colts a chance to force overtime.

"He'll probably elect to go somewhere else, so that's probably a position we'll have to fill," Polian said.

He said Vanderjagt's replacement may already be on the roster. Indy recently re-signed kicker Dave Rayner, a sixth-round draft pick last year who was cut late in the season because of his poor kickoffs.

The other big names on the Colts' free agent list are Thornton and defensive tackle Larry Tripplett, a second-round pick in 2002 who had his best season as pro in 2005.

But most of the talk has been about James. Polian and Dungy hope their gamble pays off.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...-25-james_x.htm

I doubt it - some club hoping he's a quick fix for the running game will bite - but you never know.

Agreed....

1. Chester Taylor, Maurice Morris, Micheal Bennett type and Joseph Addai.
Bennett type? ie a one-dimensional guy who gets hurt easily? No thx. The others have possibilities, but my understanding is all 3 also tend to get hurt/nicked up easily (couldn't say for sure offhand).

3. I agree with the previous poster about trading down, they do that alot
...and has bitten them in the keyster a time or 3. Depends who's there at 30. Morency would be real tempting as it stands now, if he falls.
Wayne and Sanders are his two biggest trade-downs. And, those worked out OK.

9. I think if you want to know what the Indianapolis Colts think of Edgerrin James' entering free agency, nothing can tell you better than this quote from GM Bill Polian on Saturday, concerning the Colts' free agent plans: "Reggie Wayne was priority one, Raheem Brock priority two. Now that we've got those guys done, now we turn to Edgerrin and David Thornton.'' Is that a diss or what? Raheem Brock a bigger priority than Edgerrin James? Edge, that tells you everything you need to know about your future, buddy.

9. I think if you want to know what the Indianapolis Colts think of Edgerrin James' entering free agency, nothing can tell you better than this quote from GM Bill Polian on Saturday, concerning the Colts' free agent plans: "Reggie Wayne was priority one, Raheem Brock priority two. Now that we've got those guys done, now we turn to Edgerrin and David Thornton.'' Is that a diss or what? Raheem Brock a bigger priority than Edgerrin James? Edge, that tells you everything you need to know about your future, buddy.
Yep, if I was Edge I'd be so pissed at that comment, I'd leave just to spite them.

In order to win they need to improve their defense and Brock is an important piece of their nucleus.I am not saying Edge is not important but he can be replaced.

As a Colts fan I want them to upgrade over Thornton, or at the very least bring him back, more than I want them to resign Edge.

Tom

IMO there are realistically no FAs worth getting, ie worth the price. We better hope fn Polian doesn't screw this draft up.

IMO there are realistically no FAs worth getting, ie worth the price. We better hope fn Polian doesn't screw this draft up.
Either he's gambling that Maroney will be there at #30 (which is a HUGE gamble), or likes someone like Addai, Calhoun or Drew for whatever reason. I don't really know. But, if Rhodes is the starter this year I'll hurl.

Or at least put on probation. :thumbup:

The thing is he does make some great picks or moves, but he makes some that, even at the time (ie not just hindsight) are incredibly stupid.

Anyway, they are most likely done regarding "significant" personnel moves until summer is more than half over...

Or at least put on probation. :thumbup:

The thing is he does make some great picks or moves, but he makes some that, even at the time (ie not just hindsight) are incredibly stupid.

Anyway, they are most likely done regarding "significant" personnel moves until summer is more than half over...
Guys,Edge was a huge reason for their success and will take all his Super Bowl rings with him to Arizona :bye:

Resigning Wayne and Brock were easily the two most imortant pieces of the puzzle. Losing Thornton after they raised the cap raised more of an eyebrow to me than letting Edge walk away. Thornton, while not as good as Washington, had promise and was still young enough to fulfill it.

Regarding the RB, I am thrilled that we did not bring in a FA. This is not fantasy sports and the players that were available (sans Alexander) were available for a reason.

Their primary back is NOT on their roster yet and unless one of the big three drops to them, look for them to p/u one after they upgrade at LB.

Tom

Or at least put on probation.     :thumbup:

Guys,Edge was a huge reason for their success and will take all his Super Bowl rings with him to Arizona :bye:

Resigning Wayne and Brock were easily the two most imortant pieces of the puzzle. Losing Thornton after they raised the cap raised more of an eyebrow to me than letting Edge walk away. Thornton, while not as good as Washington, had promise and was still young enough to fulfill it.

Regarding the RB, I am thrilled that we did not bring in a FA. This is not fantasy sports and the players that were available (sans Alexander) were available for a reason.

Their primary back is NOT on their roster yet and unless one of the big three drops to them, look for them to p/u one after they upgrade at LB.

Tom
If they don't draft Maroney or DeAngelo Williams, I believe Rhodes is the starter in 2006. There's no reason why he can't beat out the likes of Addai, Drew, Calhoun, etc. He has a 1100 yd season on his resume, and he knows the system.

We need to upgrade are linebackers and oline in this draft.We have tried the rb,wr,qb thing to death.What is the common thing between 6 of the last seven superbowl champs.Good lines Great Linebackers hello

Bill Polian updated the anticipated return dates of several players who underwent off-season surgery or are in the rehabilitation process:

cornerback Jason David (end of June)

cornerback Marlin Jackson (shoulder, training camp)

linebacker Keyon Whiteside (knee, end of summer school)

linebacker Tyjuan Hagler (sports hernia, training camp)

defensive end Josh Thomas (training camp)

defensive end Jonathan Welsh (knee, training camp)

safety Mike Doss (shoulder, training camp)

wide receiver Marvin Harrison (wrist, June/training camp)

safety Bob Sanders (biceps, training camp)

offensive tackle Makoa Freitas (knee, April)

linebacker Cato June (knee/sports hernia, training camp)

link

Bill Polian updated the anticipated return dates of several players who underwent off-season surgery or are in the rehabilitation process:

cornerback Jason David (end of June)
noooooooooDavid sucks. I can't believe Jackson couldn't beat him out. I think he's got some blackmail thing going on Dungy.

Mixed feelings on the draft, and the TJ thing. I still think Polian may be more interested than he's letting on now and trying to get a better (cheaper) deal.

Users who are viewing this thread