What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combined 100 from 81 and 82 *top song* Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet (2 Viewers)

Bracie Smathers said:
72.  AC/DC - Hells Bells

Released after the death of lead singer Bon Scott.  The song begins with a funeral dirge sounding 2,000 pound brass bell chiming, an excellent choice before kicking into classic hard driving angry axing guitar.
One of the best hard rock/metal albums ever IMO. Just terrific all the way through. 

zamboni said:
Top tier AC/DC tune. Not that I care because it's all about discussing good music, but isn't this dipping into the 1980 well?
WIKI LINK  released October 31, 1980

I state in the first thread that I encompass both 82 and 81 but will go back to October of 80.

Also I specially noted I make one exception going back to September of 80 and will explain when I get to that group.  

I really don't remember the song on the radio back then, certainly not on MTV either.  It does sound a lot like a RIngo Starr song.  
not much radio play ...but snippets were commonly used in afternoon drive time - especially on Friday afternoons

stadium/sporting event anthems - but mostly the commercial theme song for Carnival Cruise Lines for several years - big bucks

FairWarning said:
For me, the only listenable Rungren song - probably because it doesn’t really sound like him.
It REALLY doesn't sound like anything else on the album it came from, the rest of which is mellow melodic pop with lots of synth coloring. 

70.  The Police - Canary in a Coal Mine

My nephew turned 40 recently but back when he was three we would sing Canary in a Coal Mine together.  Cool uncle memory, lol.
Love this song - one of my favorites by them.

The playing here is as tight as anything they did IMO.

And who else but Sting (ok maybe Donald Fagen) would rhyme “Firenze” and “influenza”?

Last edited by a moderator:
69.  Loverboy - Turn Me Loose

It seemed like this song was always playing in the background anytime we went out to a club looking for girls.  

Great into to this song that starts with the synthesizer to bass before the guitar.

They had more success than I thought but that name.  They saw a magazine with the name Covergirl and changed it to Coverboy which transformed into Loverboy. 

It seemed like this song was always playing in the background anytime we went out to a club looking for girls.  

Great into to this song that starts with the synthesizer to bass before the guitar.

They had more success than I thought but that name.  They saw a magazine with the name Covergirl and changed it to Coverboy which transformed into Loverboy. 
Always liked this one a lot. Nice guitar work by Paul Dean.

Great song.  Still love it.  

68.  James Taylor - Her Town Too

Written by JD. Souther and James Taylor. 

JD and Linda Ronstat were breaking up and James and Carly Simon were heading towards divorce so its been speculated that lines like.

"She gets the house and the garden

He gets the boys in the band."

JD has refused to say who the song is about and Taylor has deflected saying the song was about his manager's wife as they were recently divorced.

EDIT:  Forgot to add this is obvious pandering to timshochet

67.  Steve Winwood - Night Train  /  Second Hand Woman

When I first heard Steve Winwood in the early 80s I thought he was a brand new artist.  MTV showed a few vids so I saw his fresh face then I was told he was the lead singer of the Spencer Davis Group and I thought no way but it turns out he was only 16 at that time.

I saw Winwood and Robert Cray at Fiddler's Green.  We got there late and Cray seemed to turn and sing right at us and the crowd turned back.  It was pretty cool since I had always wanted to see Winwood and I loved Cray.

Arc of a Diver is an exceptional album IMHO. 

66.  Michael Stanley Band - He Can't Love You Like I Love You

I said their would be an exception and I would explain when I got the song.

Michael Stanley was THEE single biggest thing in NE Ohio when I was in high school and was generously played on the big radio station WMMS The Home Of The Buzzard who played local groups like Alex Bevan and basically built the buzz behind MSB.   

EDIT: to add one of the best versions of  Skinny Little Boy From Cleveland Ohio  by Alex Bevan

I made an exception because MSB was huge, it only missed by a month, and Michael Stanley passed as I was making my list.  He's deserving and such an integral part of the early 80s for me that I couldn't leave him off and have one more tune from him later.

JD and Linda Ronstat were breaking up and James and Carly Simon were heading towards divorce so its been speculated that lines like.

JD has refused to say who the song is about and Taylor has deflected saying the song was about his manager's wife as they were recently divorced.

Isn’t J.D. credited as the singer too despite it being on JT’s album?

J.D. is pretty well renowned as a swordsman as well as a songwriter back in the day. 

67.  Steve Winwood - Night Train  /  Second Hand Woman

When I first heard Steve Winwood in the early 80s I thought he was a brand new artist.  MTV showed a few vids so I saw his fresh face then I was told he was the lead singer of the Spencer Davis Group and I thought no way but it turns out he was only 16 at that time.

I saw Winwood and Robert Cray at Fiddler's Green.  We got there late and Cray seemed to turn and sing right at us and the crowd turned back.  It was pretty cool since I had always wanted to see Winwood and I loved Cray.

Arc of a Diver is an exceptional album IMHO. 
I guess the MTV folks weren’t Traffic fans.

I guess the MTV folks weren’t Traffic fans.
Well, THAT was MY interpretation of Winwood back in 81 when I was 19.  So I hadn't heard of him as a teenager other than Arc of a Diver.  I had heard Traffic but hadn't made many musical connections at that time and I completely forgive my 19 year old self because I got up to speed over the next few years and I think we all know the joy of making musical connections over time.

Well, THAT was MY interpretation of Winwood back in 81 when I was 19.  So I hadn't heard of him as a teenager other than Arc of a Diver.  I had heard Traffic but hadn't made many musical connections at that time and I completely forgive my 19 year old self because I got up to speed over the next few years and I think we all know the joy of making musical connections over time.
Ah - thought you were talking about MTV. I also didn’t get into Traffic until around the same age, when a stoner guy in an adjacent dorm room plopped John Barleycorn Must Die on the turntable. I was hooked on them from that day forward.

65.  John Lennon -  Watching the Wheels  / Starting Over

John started writing Watching the Wheels back in 1977 with an original title of Emotional Wreck.  The song went through different iterations over the next few years till he put it down on track at the Hit Factory.

It was released posthumously a few months after his death.

Just Like Starting Over is ranked 62rd on the list of the top-100 songs of all time.

Released on the day Mark David Chapman shot Lennon. 

63.  The Police - Invisible Sun

The TROUBLES.

In the early 80s war torn Northern Ireland was rife with hate.

"And their only gonna change this place, by killing everybody in the human race."

The video was banned on MTV
Nice - you nailed my two favorite Police tunes in the past few picks. 👍

As for the banning on MTV, it's hard to figure out what those corporate suits would let fly and what they would not. 

Bracie Smathers said:

The TROUBLES.

"And their only gonna change this place, by killing everybody in the human race."

I like that Sting counts to 6 to start the tune. And of course the magnificent dynamic range Stewart applies throughout - playing a dirge on a single tom for the verse going to dropping absolute bombs in the chorus and bridge.

Bracie Smathers said:

The harmonies JD sings aren't your garden variety harmonies. In the hands of a lesser vocalist they'd have been a trainwreck, but here they give the song much of its haunting maudlin quality.

60.  Michael Jackson - Thriller

I can't tell you how much I loved American Werewolf In London, the only horror movie I love.  John Landis would probably have gone stratospheric if not for the horrific accident making The Twilight Zone.  

MJ contacted Landis after seeing the movie to produce the most expensive music video in history, basically a mini-movie.  Its been years since I have seen this and its still good.

I mean its Michael Jackson, its Thriller.

Bracie Smathers said:
AND Blind Faith

I can't tell you how much I loved American Werewolf In London, the only horror movie I love.  John Landis would probably have gone stratospheric if not for the horrific accident making The Twilight Zone.  

MJ contacted Landis after seeing the movie to produce the most expensive music video in history, basically a mini-movie.  Its been years since I have seen this and its still good.

Wonder joints

And now for your viewing pleasure.

AND Blind Faith
I was 19 so if I hadn't made the Traffic connection then ofcourse I hadn't made or wasn't even aware of Blind Faith at that time.  

I did make a mixed tape a few years later and remember I had Can't Find My Way Home mixed with Low Spark and a few other Traffic tunes along with some tunes from Arc of a Diver so I did put some things together before my gig as a disk jockey.

I had a ton of friends who were really into music and they all had great record collections so I had a lot of mentors.

Bracie Smathers said:

The TROUBLES.

I loved early Police.   It still sounds interesting after all these years.  I’m not a fan of the later work by Police or Stings solo work.   Doesn’t mean it isn’t good but that early work was really incredible that brought something at a different level than the later stuff. Maybe the later work just got too poppy for me.   Don’t know.

Great add to this list though and glad I was reminded of this song after not hearing it in years. This is another band that was introduced to me by my buddy’s older sister.   She really did have it going on.  

58.  Earth Wind and Fire - Lets Groove

This was the best selling single of all Earth Wind and Fire tunes.  One of the best 'hook' lines in any song.

'Let this groove, get you to move'

Simplistic perfection.  

Always upbeat, always positive EWF.
If this song doesn’t make you want to get up and dance, you need to go to the hospital immediately.   You must only have minutes left to live.  

Users who are viewing this thread