What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combined 100 from 81 and 82 *top song* Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet (2 Viewers)

Bracie Smathers said:
83.  Prince - Little Red Corvette

It was five years ago today that Prince passed away so this was moved far up the list to honor his day.🙏

Actually yesterday was the anniversary of Price's passing.
One of my favorite songs even when I was only into metal.   The song and album bring back memories of playing whiffle ball in my buddy’s front yard.  We always listened to music when we were outside playing basketball, whiffle ball, or catch with the football.   His older sister always gave him music to play on the boombox and she really turned us on to a lot of great music.   And yes, she was a smoke show.  And yes, she wanted nothing to do with my skinny punk ###.  

One of my favorite songs even when I was only into metal.   The song and album bring back memories of playing whiffle ball in my buddy’s front yard.  We always listened to music when we were outside playing basketball, whiffle ball, or catch with the football.   His older sister always gave him music to play on the boombox and she really turned us on to a lot of great music.   And yes, she was a smoke show.  And yes, she wanted nothing to do with my skinny punk ###.  
Maybe she thought you had enough gas. :shrug:

81.  Paul McCartney - Take It Away

Calling Krista to do a write up.

All I got is I like this tune and actually miss Linda's backup vocals.
If you @ her, I’m sure she’ll come on down (down).

Not a big fan of the song, but like the ensemble of Steve Gadd playing drums alongside Ringo, as well as George Martin on piano.

ETA: I think that’s Eric Stewart of 10cc on guitar in the video and background vocals as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some things he's done that seem/sound so simple have well timed/placed Swiss watch craftsmanship.
it's quite extraordinary. since k4 and i put together our Spotify McMix, i've listened to it a lot and i bet there are 500 honest song germs (ie whole-cloth song ideas for, say, Weezer) in our 70-80 besties. as a songwriter who may not be any good but doesnt consider a song a song unless at least 3 separate tunes died for it, much respect.

The song was written about Tim Finn's nervous breakdown. He would later leave Split Enz and his brother, Neil, would move on to form Crowded House. The brothers reunited for a while in Crowded House.
For one album, which was kind of a fluke. They had started making a Finn Brothers album at the same time Neil was working on the third Crowded House album. At some point they decided to combine the projects and Tim added vocals to the songs from the Crowded House sessions. The result became Woodface. Tim didn't return for the fourth and final Crowded House album because he felt like he was extraneous. They did eventually put out two Finn Brothers albums. 

78.  Joe Jackson - Jumpin' Jive  (entire album)

Talk about musical range, dexterity, and knowledge. 

Anyone who has heard Jumpin' Jive knows you cannot break out individual tunes as pretty much every tune is awesome.

Joe had to beg his record company to put this out because they knew it wouldn't sell but Joe put a fresh and vivacious spin on classic tunes that fits any era.  

If you have not heard this album do yourself a favor and listen to the whole thing.

78.  Joe Jackson - Jumpin' Jive  (entire album)

Talk about musical range, dexterity, and knowledge. 

Anyone who has heard Jumpin' Jive knows you cannot break out individual tunes as pretty much every tune is awesome.

Joe had to beg his record company to put this out because they knew it wouldn't sell but Joe put a fresh and vivacious spin on classic tunes that fits any era.  

If you have not heard this album do yourself a favor and listen to the whole thing.
I've completely missed this thread...LOVE jumpin jive. I don't have proof, but imo this album was directly responsible for the jazz/swing renaissance in the late 80s, early 90d and later seen in the movie Swingers.

I still have my playlist of tunes from 81 I was going to cull from into mini packages. Might try it here if I have time and of course run by Bracie first so as not to mess with his list. Or at the end of the list.

I've completely missed this thread...LOVE jumpin jive. I don't have proof, but imo this album was directly responsible for the jazz/swing renaissance in the late 80s, early 90d and later seen in the movie Swingers.

I still have my playlist of tunes from 81 I was going to cull from into mini packages. Might try it here if I have time and of course run by Bracie first so as not to mess with his list. Or at the end of the list.
I agree that it kicked off a renaissance of big band swing bands.

Those bands are still going strong.  Here is a uber ridiculous fantastic version of Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen that will blow your doors off.  Its one of my all-time favorite songs EVA.

I had to leave off a tune from Van Halen that would fit in this genre.

Big Bad  Bill

I used to play this tune but couldn't play anything from Jumpin' Jive because it didn't fit our format.   

77.  Talking Heads - Cross Eyed and Painless

David Byrne and Brian Eno must have been channeling the Bard when they wrote this song.

The Heads arrived just like the Enola Gay, quiet and unnoticed till the payload exploded.

Love Jeff Bridges take on how the Talking Heads blew his mind.

He was asked about Pulp Fiction and the only analogy he could find was with music and the Talking Heads.

Jeff Bridges on the Talking Heads

-----------------------------------------------

Lost my shape-Trying to act casual!
Can't stop-I might end up in the hospital
I'm changing my shape-I feel like an accident
They're back!-To explain their experience

Isn't it weird/Looks too obscure to me
Wasting away/And that was their policy

I'm ready to leave-I push the fact in front of me
Facts lost-Facts are never what they seem to be
Nothing there!-No information left of any kind
Lifting my head-Looking for danger signs

There was a line/There was a formula
Sharp as a knife/Facts cut a hole in us
There was a line/There was a forula
Sharp as a knife/Facts cut a hole in us ...

76.  Dire Straits - Tunnel Of Love

The song begins with 'The Carousel Waltz' written by Rodgers and Hammerstein before launching into an autobiographical composition of Knopfler's visit to Spanish City fairground in Whitely Bay.

Mark wrote about that visit as it was allegedly where he decided to go into the music industry.  

As Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote the waltz it is only one of three Dire Straits songs that were not soley written by Knopfler.

For one album, which was kind of a fluke. They had started making a Finn Brothers album at the same time Neil was working on the third Crowded House album. At some point they decided to combine the projects and Tim added vocals to the songs from the Crowded House sessions. The result became Woodface. Tim didn't return for the fourth and final Crowded House album because he felt like he was extraneous. They did eventually put out two Finn Brothers albums. 
Tim Finn's membership in Crowded House was obviously going to be a short one if anybody saw them on the Woodface tour. When they were playing songs from the current album or old Split Enz songs all was rosy. You could have cut the tension with a knife when they played songs from the first two CH albums. Tim seemed to be pouting throughout these songs.

I will end this sidetrack by stating the second Crowded House album "Temple of Low Men" is pop perfection.

76.  Dire Straits - Tunnel Of Love

The song begins with 'The Carousel Waltz' written by Rodgers and Hammerstein before launching into an autobiographical composition of Knopfler's visit to Spanish City fairground in Whitely Bay.

Mark wrote about that visit as it was allegedly where he decided to go into the music industry.  

As Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote the waltz it is only one of three Dire Straits songs that were not soley written by Knopfler.
There are more than a few other doozies for them during 1981-2. I won’t out them in expectation we’ll hear them again later on.

22 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:
75.  Todd Rungren - Bang The Drum All Day

An obvious pandering gesture to @Binkythedoormat as I was going to put Grover Washington Jr. here with - Just The Two Of Us

I had to cut out a lot of 'good' tunes but loved playing Bang The Drum All Day.  Fun spin.

Oh forgot to add, that'll be a dollar Bink.
Expand  
in before @Binky The Doormat xxxxxxxxx his pants.
Give him time to bang his own drum first.

Tim Finn's membership in Crowded House was obviously going to be a short one if anybody saw them on the Woodface tour. When they were playing songs from the current album or old Split Enz songs all was rosy. You could have cut the tension with a knife when they played songs from the first two CH albums. Tim seemed to be pouting throughout these songs.

I will end this sidetrack by stating the second Crowded House album "Temple of Low Men" is pop perfection.
CH has a new album coming out in a month or so

73.  Delbert McClinton - Giving It Up For Your Love

For years and years I mistakenly thought this was J. Geils.  I just assumed since they sound so similar.  When the net opened up to music I couldn't find this tune for J. Geils and it really frustrated me.  Not sure when I discovered it was Delbert McClinton but I love this tune and I think the wait increased my joy with this tune.

73.  Delbert McClinton - Giving It Up For Your Love

For years and years I mistakenly thought this was J. Geils.  I just assumed since they sound so similar.  When the net opened up to music I couldn't find this tune for J. Geils and it really frustrated me.  Not sure when I discovered it was Delbert McClinton but I love this tune and I think the wait increased my joy with this tune.
Nice - been a long time since I’ve heard this one. Good hook on the tune.

Probably one of the few artists whose name you know can’t be a stage name.  

75.  Todd Rungren - Bang The Drum All Day

An obvious pandering gesture to @Binkythedoormat as I was going to put Grover Washington Jr. here with - Just The Two Of Us

I had to cut out a lot of 'good' tunes but loved playing Bang The Drum All Day.  Fun spin.

Oh forgot to add, that'll be a dollar Bink.
Wondering how this didn’t make the top 50.  

For me, the only listenable Rungren song - probably because it doesn’t really sound like him.  This could be a thread topic - songs you like by artists/groups you hate. 

For me, the only listenable Rungren song - probably because it doesn’t really sound like him.  This could be a thread topic - songs you like by artists/groups you hate. 
I think that thread may have been done at one point, but I say go for it.

72.  AC/DC - Hells Bells

Released after the death of lead singer Bon Scott.  The song begins with a funeral dirge sounding 2,000 pound brass bell chiming, an excellent choice before kicking into classic hard driving angry axing guitar.
Top tier AC/DC tune. Not that I care because it's all about discussing good music, but isn't this dipping into the 1980 well?

Uruk-Hai said:
CH has a new album coming out in a month or so
😯 Thanks, I hadn't heard that. I went in search of info because I wondered who would replace Paul Hester.

From the CH website: Crowded House is Neil Finn, Nick Seymour, Mitchell Froom, Liam Finn and Elroy Finn.

Liam and Elroy are Neil's sons.

FairWarning said:

luv you bud ...

but this screams volumes about your musical tastes  

Users who are viewing this thread