What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commissioner Screw Up (1 Viewer)

Given the scenario outlined, is it too late to fix it?

• Yes, leave the schedule as it originally was...even if its screwed up.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • No, fix the schedule so its correct regardless of impact.

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters

uhaul77

Footballguy
If the commish screwed up the round 2 playoff schedule and no one noticed until Sunday night of round 2, is it too late to change it? Yes, the owners is this league are very inattentive even though there is a $50 franchise fee per team so money is involved.

Scenario was teams ranked #1 and #2 had week 1 bye.

Round 1:
Game 1: Rank #3 played #6 -> #3 won
Game 2: Rank #4 played #5 -> #4 won

Round 2 of playoffs originally had this:

#1 vs winner of game 1, the #3 seed in this case
#2 vs winner of game 2, the #4 seed in this case

Should have been #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3.

Real issue is that it wasn't noticed until 8pm Sunday night. The games aren't over yet but it will most likely impact the winners and who advanced to the Super Bowl.

Is this comparable to a stats correction that changes the outcome of a game or a trying to challenge a play after another has already happened?

10-team league.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too late. The other teams all had a chance to notice before. They didn't.
Or they did notice and decided to allow it to play out to see which matchup favored them in retrospect. Weekly lineups do vary by who your opponent is. Against one opponent you may need to play a high-ceiling, low-floor player, but against another opponent you would opt for the higher-floor player at that position. Changing the matchup retroactively should not be done. The time for a team owner to object was prior to the games. Too late now.

Or they did notice and decided to allow it to play out to see which matchup favored them in retrospect.Weekly lineups do vary by who your opponent is. Against one opponent you may need to play a high-ceiling, low-floor player, but against another opponent you would opt for the higher-floor player at that position. Changing the matchup retroactively should not be done. The time for a team owner to object was prior to the games. Too late now.
Its a best ball lineup so there were no lineup decisions involved. Your optimum lineup is your final lineup.

The person that noticed it and raised it as an issue will likely lose either way.

Of course you change it. It's not like the teams play defense and actually face off against each other, especially if it's best ball. They're just numbers on a screen. If the rules say it's 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 then that's how the results should be counted, even if the website is currently putting team 1's virtual score on the same page as team 3's virtual score. It would be absurd to let that trump the actual intent of the rules of the league.

Or they did notice and decided to allow it to play out to see which matchup favored them in retrospect.Weekly lineups do vary by who your opponent is. Against one opponent you may need to play a high-ceiling, low-floor player, but against another opponent you would opt for the higher-floor player at that position. Changing the matchup retroactively should not be done. The time for a team owner to object was prior to the games. Too late now.
Its a best ball lineup so there were no lineup decisions involved. Your optimum lineup is your final lineup.

The person that noticed it and raised it as an issue will likely lose either way.
Then Id change it

Mfl? I email them every year. They don't have the website setup to handle the "reseed". In my league the #6 won so I had to flip the schedule.

I send out an email each playoff week with the matchup. That way if I accidentally screwed something up on the site I can fix it

Mfl? I email them every year. They don't have the website setup to handle the "reseed". In my league the #6 won so I had to flip the schedule.

I send out an email each playoff week with the matchup. That way if I accidentally screwed something up on the site I can fix it
Yep, MFL. This was our first year using the site and honestly its a fairly inattentive league so no one really noticed the lack of a reseed into round 2.

I really love the flexibility of league setup options, especially double headers and best ball lineups. But that site UI is freaking awful.

Yeah its annoying and I also send them feedback about it. I dont think CBS can handle it either.

Yep, MFL. This was our first year using the site and honestly its a fairly inattentive league so no one really noticed the lack of a reseed into round 2.

I really love the flexibility of league setup options, especially double headers and best ball lineups. But that site UI is freaking awful.
If the schedule was known ahead of time, I say flip it. If it was assumed I say leave it.

The commissioner tools for MFL are a bit clunky at times. Once you figure it out its easy but now I have to log in as commissioner maybe twice a year and sometimes I forget.

The thing I always mess up is, we have 2 playoff brackets. I manually seed the loser bracket. If I make any changes at all to any bracket it screws up the loser bracket and I need to reset it.

that makes it easy to change. Follow the rules as written.

Yahoo reseeds. This is the first year we went with reseeding, the #6 didn't win so no effect (#1 played 4/5 winner, 2 played 3.)

I don't like the term re-seed. It's not what's happening. It's a re-bracketing. Basically, our #1 seed (after a bye) plays the lowest remaining seed. If #6 beats #3 I don't have to adjust the playoff bracket so the correct seed (#6) plays #1. If #3 wins, and #5 beats #4, I will have to adjust the bracket, not the seeding, so that the lowest remaining seed (#5) plays the #1 seed. It's definitely not a re-seeding process but a bracket adjustment. My two cents.

But to answer OP, commish needs to reset the matchups....especially since its easy and best ball.

I don't like the term re-seed. It's not what's happening. It's a re-bracketing. Basically, our #1 seed (after a bye) plays the lowest remaining seed. If #6 beats #3 I don't have to adjust the playoff bracket so the correct seed (#6) plays #1. If #3 wins, and #5 beats #4, I will have to adjust the bracket, not the seeding, so that the lowest remaining seed (#5) plays the #1 seed. It's definitely not a re-seeding process but a bracket adjustment. My two cents.

But to answer OP, commish needs to reset the matchups....especially since its easy and best ball.
Not to argue but thats exactly what reseeding means. It means the highest seed will play the lowest remaining seed. There are no true "brackets".

"In tournaments where participants are seeded, in order to ensure that the strongest remaining team faces the weakest team, the participants are "reseeded" at each round; the tournament bracket is not fixed, where potential matchups can be readily determined up to the final."

Not to argue but thats exactly what reseeding means. It means the highest seed will play the lowest remaining seed. There are no true "brackets"."In tournaments where participants are seeded, in order to ensure that the strongest remaining team faces the weakest team, the participants are "reseeded" at each round; the tournament bracket is not fixed, where potential matchups can be readily determined up to the final."
Well, we can agree to disagree. Thats not re-seeding. #6 seed didn't just become the #4 seed. The original seeds remain the same and are re-bracketed to force the lowest remaining seed to play the top seed. No re-seeding involved. Just resetting the bracket alignment. Like I stated in my first post, I don't like or agree with the term used. In addition, MFL forces me to set up a bracket I don't want to use....I don't have a choice. Either way, I don't want to derail this thread on this minor disagreement. Carry on.

if you have a league rules document that specifically addresses this situation, he retroactively switch oppenents around. otherwise leave as is

Yeah its annoying and I also send them feedback about it. I dont think CBS can handle it either.
Yahoo Free leagues somehow manage to figure this out :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread