What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (3 Viewers)

Saw the Fixx at a Day on the Green (Oakland Col.) c1983...with The Police, Oingo Boingo, Madness and Thompson Twins. For some reason, The Fixx's set is when everybody went to the bathroom or generally didn't pay attention (I think they were the lesser known band at the time). I thought they killed it...but not Oingo Boingo level of killing it.

I saw Day on the Green in 1983, where Scorpions and Iron Maiden opened for Loverboy and Foreigner. Scorps and Maiden DESTROYED. Loverboy was actually good, surprisingly. Foreigner didn't stand a chance, and a lot of people left the show before the headliner finished. 

The future Mrs. Eephus went to both of these shows.  We had just started dating at the time but I was already a snob about stadium shows.

The future Mrs. Eephus went to both of these shows.  We had just started dating at the time but I was already a snob about stadium shows.
I didn't hate stadium shows until I saw enough small shows in the 2000s, and now I hate large arenas.

I promised I'd never see another one, and I also promised myself I'd never go to the Shoreline Ampitheater again because it blows. But then my little nephew asked me to take him to Knotfest with Behemoth, Gojira, and Slipknot - so I couldn't turn him down. 

I didn't hate stadium shows until I saw enough small shows in the 2000s, and now I hate large arenas.

I promised I'd never see another one, and I also promised myself I'd never go to the Shoreline Ampitheater again because it blows. But then my little nephew asked me to take him to Knotfest with Behemoth, Gojira, and Slipknot - so I couldn't turn him down. 

She got me back to the Coliseum for the Police reunion tour in 2007.  It was awful.

I can't remember the last show I went to at Shoreline.

1 hour ago, jdoggydogg said:

Expand  

She got me back to the Coliseum for the Police reunion tour in 2007.  It was awful.

I'm pretty sure the last show I saw there was Joe Jackson.

I just liked seeing the bands I liked. Saw some bands like Joe Jackson, Oingo Boingo, RHCP, and others all over the place from big to small spots. And while I did prefer going to places like the Kabuki or smaller (On Broadway, IBeam, Bimbos), as long as I got to see the band I was good. Saw Oingo Boingo and English Beat (IIRC).at Great Adventure of all places.

Shows you're looking forward to or are considering? My list:

Have tickets for:
Tedeschi Trucks
Roger Waters
21 Pilots
Oteil and Friends

99% going:
Wilco
Band of Horses, Black Keys

Considering, but some of these aren't convenient:
Avett Brothers
My Morning Jacket
Mt. Joy
Death Cab for Cutie
Dashboard Confessional, Andrew McMahon
Lake Street Dive
Greensky Bluegrass
Spoon
Afghan Whigs

They Might Be Giants 30, 31, 32 year anniversary of the Flood album.  Concert was originally scheduled for April 2020, has already been postponed four times due to Covid.  Was finally going to happen tomorrow and one of the guys in the band got in a car accident so it's postponed again.  Oh well.

Eephus said:

The shoreline sounds like #### unless you sit close. Plus, there are literally no bars and restaurants therefore there is no scene there.

I will say that some of the greatest shows I saw in the 1980s were stadium shows, including Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Rush, and The Who.

El Floppo said:
I just liked seeing the bands I liked. Saw some bands like Joe Jackson, Oingo Boingo, RHCP, and others all over the place from big to small spots. And while I did prefer going to places like the Kabuki or smaller (On Broadway, IBeam, Bimbos), as long as I got to see the band I was good. Saw Oingo Boingo and English Beat (IIRC).at Great Adventure of all places.

Yeah, same here. I saw Stone Temple Pilots open for Red Hot Chili Peppers at the shoreline. Even though the venue sucks, the concert was amazing.

I hope this isn't too off topic, but what are the shows you wish you had seen but it's too late? My list:

Talking Heads, the police, Slayer with Dave Lombardo, DJ shadow, portishead, and the original Morbid Angel lineup

I hope this isn't too off topic, but what are the shows you wish you had seen but it's too late? My list:

Talking Heads, the police, Slayer with Dave Lombardo, DJ shadow, portishead, and the original Morbid Angel lineup
I also would have loved to have seen the Talking Heads. I saw The Police in the early 80s, and they were good. The Go-Go's opened for them, and they were equally as good.

Slayer with Dave Lombardo
jdogg, have I ever told you I met Dave Lombardo when he played on The Clash Of The Titans tour in '91? I was in San Diego, and I was staying at the same hotel (by coincidence) as Slayer, and we wound up on the elevator together (again, by coincidence). I was all preppy in my Stussy shirt and Quiksilver shorts and I asked him, "Excuse me, aren't you the drummer from Slayer, Dave Lombardo?" There weren't many people in the elevator, so he was surprised and polite and said, "Yeah, I am." I told him I was going to the show that night and he wished me a good time. He seemed genuinely surprised and very cool about it. After we got off the elevator we walked to breakfast and Tom Araya and Anthrax were in the lobby. Too nervous to bother them, I didn't go up to them and start a conversation, but I won't soon forget meeting Lombardo in the elevator by chance. 

Show rocked. Like Red Rocks rocks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
They Might Be Giants 30, 31, 32 year anniversary of the Flood album.  Concert was originally scheduled for April 2020, has already been postponed four times due to Covid.  Was finally going to happen tomorrow and one of the guys in the band got in a car accident so it's postponed again.  Oh well.
This is a bummer. What a great album by a great (yes, I mean that in many senses of the word) band. 

I also would have loved to have seen the Talking Heads. I saw The Police in the early 80s, and they were good. The Go-Go's opened for them, and they were equally as good.

I saw Talking Heads play a theater show in 1980.  It was on the Remain in Light tour with the big band including Bernie Worrell and Adrian Belew.

It honestly wasn't that great of a show. I think Byrne's a better performer in a more theatrical setting like in Stop Making Sense and American Utopia. He's not a commanding frontman on his own or at least he wasn't that night. Belew is much more of a ham and took some of the focus away from Byrne.  It didn't help that one of the stage lights was pointed directly at us for the first few songs which made it hard to see anything.

Saw the Police twice, once on the big reunion tour and the other after Zenyatta Mondatta in 1980.  It was the album when they broke big in the US but they were still playing theaters rather than arenas.  We were right up front and had a magical night.  XTC opened and were great too.

Stapleton is just in a class by himself. Unreal show. So much soul. 2 1/2 hours. First show out of 4 where is wife sang with him. So good. Timberlake came out for Tennessee Whiskey. Mike Campbell and they Dirt Knobs and Dwight Yoakam opened. Forum is such a good venue. Feels like old concert times. 

I saw Tears For Fears with Garbage in Tampa last night and they were amazing. There were ~10k people in attendance for this amphitheatre show. Probably my second favorite concert this year just behind Colin Hay. Next up is Howard Jones with Midge Ure in July. 

2:40-2:50pm - National Anthem/Commissioner's Welcome/Tom Marker 2:55-4:10pm - Chicago Soul Tribute to Gene Barge, Cicero Blake & Willie Henderson featuring Willie Henderson's Big Bad Blues Band with special guests Ruby Andrews, Samota Acklin, Theresa Davis, Joe Barr and Willie White 4:30-5:00pm - Emerging Artist - Nick Alexander 5:15-6:15pm - Melody Angel 6:30-7:30pm - Rico McFarland 7:45-9:00pm - Ronnie Baker Brooks

Great lineup, have my pa hooked up to my laptop...free show in Chicago, skipping this year once again...covid ramp up and all...   link.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YK5htiF9_o

Spock said:
Dead and Company tonight @Dodger Stadium. 
Wondering what the Shakedown St will be like in the parking lot. 

Amazing how much of a difference in shakedown from venue to venue.

I've already told Mrs. Dogg that if the talking heads reunite for one show in Paris I'm flying over there to see it.

jdogg, have I ever told you I met Dave Lombardo when he played on The Clash Of The Titans tour in '91? I was in San Diego, and I was staying at the same hotel (by coincidence) as Slayer, and we wound up on the elevator together (again, by coincidence). I was all preppy in my Stussy shirt and Quiksilver shorts and I asked him, "Excuse me, aren't you the drummer from Slayer, Dave Lombardo?" There weren't many people in the elevator, so he was surprised and polite and said, "Yeah, I am." I told him I was going to the show that night and he wished me a good time. He seemed genuinely surprised and very cool about it. After we got off the elevator we walked to breakfast and Tom Araya and Anthrax were in the lobby. Too nervous to bother them, I didn't go up to them and start a conversation, but I won't soon forget meeting Lombardo in the elevator by chance. 

Show rocked. Like Red Rocks rocks. 

That's awesome. Whenever I meet one of my heroes, I always keep it very brief and I think they appreciate that. We met Barney from Napalm Death a few weeks back, and I kept my adulation to about 30 seconds LOL

Saw St. Paul and the Broken Bones / Fitz and the Tantrums at the Stone Pony Summer Stage on Saturday. I went in thinkin more highly of St. Paul (who were great) but was blown away by Fitz and the Tantrums who put on a amazing live show. The local bands that played inside the Pony before and after the main show were both fantastic as well.

Didn't realize they were doing that, I'm going to look for tickets if they ever get the dates sorted out.

I've already told Mrs. Dogg that if the talking heads reunite for one show in Paris I'm flying over there to see it.

Talking Heads (and The Smiths) are near the top of any shortlist of bands who will never reunite.  Byrne seems to have no interest in getting the band back together and there's still bad blood over the No Talking Just Head album.  Chris Frantz's autobiography said he hadn't spoken to Byrne in almost twenty years.

There's no musical theater thread so I guess I'll leave this here.  I saw the touring company of Hadestown on Saturday.  It's a musical version of the Orpheus/Eurydice myth in a early 20th century Jazz/Blues setting. 

We rarely go to the theater but I always come away from a show thinking we should do it more often.

Amazing how much of a difference in shakedown from venue to venue.
Very true. Didn't find the shakedown on Saturday. May have been down the hill from the parking lot. Ended up just tailgating with a big group. Pretty good show, especially the 2nd set. Sandwiched china>rider between scarlet/fire. Scarlet had some great jams to it! Other highlights were Dear Mr. Fantasy & Stella Blue. 

There's no musical theater thread so I guess I'll leave this here.  I saw the touring company of Hadestown on Saturday.  It's a musical version of the Orpheus/Eurydice myth in a early 20th century Jazz/Blues setting. 

We rarely go to the theater but I always come away from a show thinking we should do it more often.
Iirc, that debuted off Broadway around the corner at the NY theater workshop before heading to Broadway. I kept walking by and thinking...looks interesting, should try and check it out, but never did. Once also debuted at the same theater and despite loving the movie, also never got off my ### for tickets. Have heard great things about Hadestown- glad you got to see it. If Dear Evan Hansen is touring, be sure to see it, as it's closing soon on Broadway (not sure if that also kills the national tours or not).

Talking Heads (and The Smiths) are near the top of any shortlist of bands who will never reunite.  Byrne seems to have no interest in getting the band back together and there's still bad blood over the No Talking Just Head album.  Chris Frantz's autobiography said he hadn't spoken to Byrne in almost twenty years.
Byrne is a genius, but clearly an awful person. He and Eno promised the band they would get writing credits on Remain In Light. The band jammed together to create all those songs, and when the album was released, it only credits Eno and Byrne. And we also know that the band found out they'd broken up when Byrne mentioned it in passing in an interview. 

Wife and I saw Chvrches again last night.   I thought it was better than the first time we saw them 4-5 years ago.  Good mix of music, but mostly new album.  Seemed like there was a bit more on the guitars and drums vs. keyboards than the first show, but I could be making that up.  

Ann Wilson at the Tampa Hard Rock last night was great. Killer venue, only 1500 seat capacity. The setlist had some new stuff which was of course MEH at best, and she didnt do any songs from the mid-late 80s/early 90s (If Looks Could Kill, Alone, etc). She cant quite hit the really high notes anymore, and she backed off a few times, but for 71 years old, she stil sounds great. Of course, she closed the show with some Zeppelin, which is a Heart staple at live shows.

Interesting setlist:

Even It Up
Black Wing
Isolation (John Lennon cover)
Magic Man
Rain Of Hell
Greed
Forget Her (Jeff Buckley cover)
Love, Reign O'er Me (The Who cover)
Crazy on You
Love Alive
The Revolution Starts (Steve Earle cover)
Love of My Life (Queen cover)
Barracuda

Encore:

Straight On
Going to California (Led Zeppelin cover)
Black Dog (Led Zeppelin cover)

Ann Wilson at the Tampa Hard Rock last night was great. Killer venue, only 1500 seat capacity. The setlist had some new stuff which was of course MEH at best, and she didnt do any songs from the mid-late 80s/early 90s (If Looks Could Kill, Alone, etc). She cant quite hit the really high notes anymore, and she backed off a few times, but for 71 years old, she stil sounds great. Of course, she closed the show with some Zeppelin, which is a Heart staple at live shows.

Interesting setlist:

Even It Up
Black Wing
Isolation (John Lennon cover)
Magic Man
Rain Of Hell
Greed
Forget Her (Jeff Buckley cover)
Love, Reign O'er Me (The Who cover)
Crazy on You
Love Alive
The Revolution Starts (Steve Earle cover)
Love of My Life (Queen cover)
Barracuda

Encore:

Straight On
Going to California (Led Zeppelin cover)
Black Dog (Led Zeppelin cover)
Magic Man is a tough song to belt out when you are in your mid-twenties, interesting that she took it on.

I wonder if her omission of the 80's hits has to do with the prominence of Nancy's backup vocals on those songs, and how noticeable they would sound live without her.

Just scored Caamp tix for burlington (great little town btw) and nyc summerstage (always cool seeing a show in central park).  This is for their tour so will be getting a full setlist unlike what they played opening for the lumineers.  

Y'all probably won't know them, but I saw a great Northern Cali band last Friday. Excellent alt rock with an amazing drummer. You might be a fan, so check 'em out:

The Velvet Teen
take that over to the 2022 music thread... good stuff.

feel like I'm picking up all kinds of stuff with them... a little Yes with some of the guitars, and a little Dodos with a lot of the rest. 

Users who are viewing this thread