What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (3 Viewers)

I partied like it was 2019 this weekend with three shows in four nights.

Friday was Brooklyn band Wild Pink who put out one of my favorite albums 2022. Cool bill with Trace Mountains opening but there were a lot of people in the back of the club chatting away during the show. This is always more noticeable in smaller venues (this club holds 350) and seems to happen more with younger audiences (yells the old guy in front of the stage). Wild Pink has got to be one of the tallest bands I've ever seen. The singer John Ross and the bass player must have both been at least 6'5". I'm 6'2" and they both towered over me.

Saturday was Colts owner Jim Irsay's band/vanity project. He's been lugging his incredible memorabilia collection around the country and holding free all-star concerts in select cities. I skipped the memorabilia and got a place near the rail for the concert. Irsay's guests included John Fogerty, Ann Wilson, Buddy Guy, Stephen Stills, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Mike Mills playing with a large band kept in time by Kenny Aronoff on drums. Everybody got 3-4 songs each except for Irsay who hooted and hollered and cussed his way through 6. He also told long rambling stories that mostly involved addiction and brought out Edgerrin James to throw some footballs into the crowd. Irsay is a bizarre dude but I guess there are worse ways for a billionaire to spend his fortune. 86 year old Buddy Guy stole the show; when he traded licks with Shepherd there was magic in the hall. Everybody could still hit the notes except for poor Stephen Stills who sounded like Jim Irsay.

Last night was X again Their annual X-mas West Coast mini-tours are a holiday tradition. I've probably seen them 20-25 times so there's not much new at this point but it's always a fun time. Exene is the biggest variable in X shows but she was in fine voice and seemingly a good mood last night. Mrs. E is going back tonight for their second show but I'm going to stay home and bake cookies.

Saturday was Colts owner Jim Irsay's band/vanity project. He's been lugging his incredible memorabilia collection around the country and holding free all-star concerts in select cities. I skipped the memorabilia and got a place near the rail for the concert. Irsay's guests included John Fogerty, Ann Wilson, Buddy Guy, Stephen Stills, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Mike Mills playing with a large band kept in time by Kenny Aronoff on drums. Everybody got 3-4 songs each except for Irsay who hooted and hollered and cussed his way through 6. He also told long rambling stories that mostly involved addiction and brought out Edgerrin James to throw some footballs into the crowd. Irsay is a bizarre dude but I guess there are worse ways for a billionaire to spend his fortune.
Man, that is one unusual night.

There were moments when the good transcended the weird. Jim Irsay growling his way through Comfortably Numb with Kenny Wayne shredding on David Gilmour's old Stratocaster was one of them.

Tickets in hand, now just have to book flights and hotel to see LCD Soundsystem at their last show of a 20 show run at Brooklyn Steel, middle of December. I've only done an evening in NYC, so going to make a long weekend of it.

Made it back from this trip, and while trying not to lean into recency bias, and throwing out music festivals, might have been the best time I have had seeing a single show. The band played three hours, 21 songs, every album getting at least four tracks performed. The venue, the vibe, the people, the fact we had been drinking since 9am that morning (thank you World Cup), made for the best evening. Especially lost my #### and danced my ### off for Losing My Edge (a song about being too old that is now 20 years old), Daft Punk, Yeah, Someone Great, and Dance Yrself Clean. I probably don't have many dance/techno/punk shows in me, but if this is one of my last ones, it felt good.

Bunch of new ones:

REO Speedwagon tonight. They are locals
Larkin Poe next month
Luke Combs (Nashville) in April
Matchbox Twenty/Wallflowers in May
Pink in October

Eric Church on sale next week. Will book. Also always looking to get to any Stapleton show or Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Am thinking about getting tickets to see Zach Bryan at Red Rocks June 26th or 27th after my 18-year old son mentioned it to me earlier this week. Since he’s heading to college next year, I would love to surprise him with this. I have never been to Red Rocks but am itching to go (one of my all time faves, Big Head Todd and the Monsters) is playing there on June 10th. THAT would be epic for me but experiencing a concert there with my son would be very cool also.

All I know is that Red Rocks is west of Denver by 15 miles or so. What’s the best way to get there? Tips/tricks for visiting Red Rocks? Are GA tickets passable? Should I look to get something better? Have to register by the end of the month for tickets that go on sale mid-February.

Am thinking about getting tickets to see Zach Bryan at Red Rocks June 26th or 27th after my 18-year old son mentioned it to me earlier this week. Since he’s heading to college next year, I would love to surprise him with this. I have never been to Red Rocks but am itching to go (one of my all time faves, Big Head Todd and the Monsters) is playing there on June 10th. THAT would be epic for me but experiencing a concert there with my son would be very cool also.

All I know is that Red Rocks is west of Denver by 15 miles or so. What’s the best way to get there? Tips/tricks for visiting Red Rocks? Are GA tickets passable? Should I look to get something better? Have to register by the end of the month for tickets that go on sale mid-February.

We saw our first shows there this past year. We took a shuttle both nights, it was convenient, dropped us off at the top.

Man just saw Willie Nelson's 2 day lineup for his 90th at the Hollywood Bowl. Tickets go on sale Thursday.

As it stands now, the lineup includes names like Bob Weir, the Chicks, Margo Price, Lukas Nelson, Billy Strings, Beck, Miranda Lambert, and Neil Young, who, when Nelson turned 80 in 2013, sang “Long May You Run” directly to the Red Headed Stranger during a CMT special filmed at Jack White’s Third Man Records in Nashville.

Other performers set for “Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90” include Allison Russell, Charley Crockett, Edie Brickell, Kacey Musgraves, Leon Bridges, Lyle Lovett, Nathaniel Rateliff, Norah Jones, Orville Peck, Particle Kid, Rosanne Cash, Sheryl Crow, Snoop Dogg, Sturgill Simpson, the Avett Brothers, the Lumineers, Tyler Childers, Warren Haynes, Ziggy Marley, Tom Jones, and this year’s singer of the national anthem at the Super Bowl, Chris Stapleton. According to a release, more artists are expected to be added.

New Order with 3 shows in TX and 1 in NOLA in March. Guessing it’s bc they’ll be at SXSW. Too much going on for me in March to make any of these shows.

There were moments when the good transcended the weird. Jim Irsay growling his way through Comfortably Numb with Kenny Wayne shredding on David Gilmour's old Stratocaster was one of them.

KWS sounded awesome as always. He did the Black Strat proud.

Upcoming 2023 shows

2/25 Black Joe Lewis
4/15-16 High Water Festival (Wilco, Beck, RKS, Bleachers, Father John Misty, Shovels & Rope)
4/29 Spoon
5/25-26 Futurebirds
6/02-03 DMB
6/12 Charley Crockett
6/16 My Morning Jacket
6/24 Fleet Foxes
8/03 Shakey Graves and Trampled By Turtles
8/19 Tyler Childers

Last edited:
This summer I have John Cougar Mellencamp in Milwaukee, Taylor Swift in Detroit and a trip to Nashville planned. Gonna be a fun summer. Gonna be tough not to profit off the Taylor Swift tickets though…they are going for about 4x what I paid last I checked.

Skinny Puppy is a band I haven’t heard about since 1993 when I was in art school down in Milwaukee. Blast from the past. Is Voivod still a band?

Skinny Puppy is a band I haven’t heard about since 1993 when I was in art school down in Milwaukee. Blast from the past. Is Voivod still a band?
First time I saw them was on Halloween at the Rave in Milwaukee on their Too Dark Park tour. That was one messed up show. And then I saw them in Denver a few years later on their Last Rights tour. That was even more messed up.

ETA: This is supposed to be their last tour. No idea about Voivod these days

Ah yes I believe I saw Elton John on his second farewell tour “Farewell Yellow Brick Road”. No I see he’s completed his third farewell tour so I’m looking forward to him dropping his dates for 2023.

Duran Duran heading out on tour in 2023, coming to Tampa in June. The wife is a huge fan and I wouldn't mind seeing them myself.

Gonna check out tix prices at presale Monday and might parlay it into an anniversary gift later this month.

Tour dates: https://duranduran.com/tour/

Went to go see Larkin Poe at a small venue in LA. Terrific show - man those girls (sisters) can rock. Blues with an edge. Terrific performers. And having Mike Campbell come on stage for an encore of Runnin Down a Dream didn’t suck either. Highly recommend them if in your area.

Saw Silversun Pickups last night. Good show, but probably the most crowded I've ever seen the venue, Bogart's. Might be getting too old for general admission.

Paris Jackson, Michael Jackson's daughter, opened. I didn't expect much because I thought she was just a model, but she had a couple good tunes.

Back to back nights of the 502s (nyc and philly). They really are the happiest band on earth. Just a fun high energy show. I highly recommend.

Saw David Bromberg at the Rams Head in Annapolis last month. He and the quintet always do a great show, you'll never hear anything sung badly or played badly.

The setlist (which he makes up as he goes along in each show) was quite different than all the other times I've seen him. And the usual intermission, where mandolin player Mark Cosgrove plays 2 tunes and fiddler Nate Grower plans 1 or 2, was cut back to 1 song by Cosgrove. Turns out that this is the last year David will be touring. He's 77, and in the latter part of the show he was tired as hell but still played a bit over 2 hours of excellent music. When they walked offstage after the last encore he was dog tired. That might be the last time I see him.

I hate when they leave.

Saw Silversun Pickups last night. Good show, but probably the most crowded I've ever seen the venue, Bogart's. Might be getting too old for general admission.

Paris Jackson, Michael Jackson's daughter, opened. I didn't expect much because I thought she was just a model, but she had a couple good tunes.
Going to Static-X here at the end of the month, bracing myself, haven't been in a long while. Expecting some culture shock after shows at the Brady and Megacorp.

Going to Static-X here at the end of the month, bracing myself, haven't been in a long while. Expecting some culture shock after shows at the Brady and Megacorp.

Brady is just as bad when they sell out. Going forward if I have general admission I'm getting there when doors open to grab one of the GA spots behind the balcony sections on the sides.

Saw Goose on Sunday at a small theater in NY. Just wow. Didn't realize how much these guys jammed. Right up there with Phish. And just like them, have a nice combination of lead guitarist and keyboardist. Gonna have to get a ticket to see them now this summer at the stone pony.

I came across a Page & Plant show from 1995 on Youtube and it really bothers me that 1995 and 1996 me didn't go see these tours. Really great.

I was a huge Zep fan in HS. By 95 I was out of college and didn't make an attempt to see this? So disappointing. I did get to see Page with the Black Crowes in 2000 though, which was great, but still a huge miss not catching Plant & Page. Just proves that you gotta see the bands you want while you can, may never have that chance again.

I'm normally not a festival type, but this one does sound appealing. https://borderlandfestival.com/lineup. Lots of positives: only $166 for the 3 days (additional $22 per day to park though), nearby parking, can bring in food and chairs, can enter and leave as much as you desire, cheap airbnb accommodations nearby. Seeing both tab and goose this summer already so that does take away a little of the appeal and its a 5 hour drive to buffalo. Weather should be solid that time of year.

Last night my wife and I plotted out our concert plans for the year. Good times ahead.

Pinback
Odesza & Bonobo
House of Large Sizes, Maxilla Blue
The Mountain Goats
Modest Mouse , Cat Power, Manchester Orchestra
Big Thief, Peach Pit, The Beths
Bon Iver, Orville Peck, Angel Olsen
The Cure
Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie
Nation of Language

Last edited:
Current potential list. Have tickets for bold.

Spafford
Pink Talking Fish
Snarky Puppy
Ben Folds w/ Cin Pops
Shakey Graves
Houseplant
Jason Isbell
Jason Isbell
Father John Misty
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
John Butler Trio
Dopapod