What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Considering Bus Cook (McNair), Postons, Rosenhaus (1 Viewer)

enfuego

Footballguy
OK, I get it. This is America. Home of capitalism and make as much as fast as possible. BUT, too often seems, especially in the NFL, players agents take it too far...ultimately coming at expense of the long term good of the player. Rosenhaus, Postons, Bus Cook, etc are all guilty. Sure we hate T.O., but how much of his antics were inspired by Rosenhaus.

This year's cap number for Steve Mcnair is an insane $23.5m. The Titans would like to rework his contract to a managable number. Bus Cook wants an extension & bonus. Talks are 'surprisingly' :eek: stalled until after the draft. I think if the Titans are comfortable with things post-draft, Air Mac may end up with a bird on the side of his helmet to start '06...making less than he would have inTN this year...because of an agent that's squeezing the franchise.

So, the point of my post...Is there such a thing as a good agent...for the player, team, and NFL...all in one person.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there are plenty of "good" agents, meaning those that effectively represent their client's interests without resorting to tactics, sleeze or dishonesty etc. -- all the bad things that come to mind when you think of today's agent.

You only hear about the bad apples.

Leigh Steinberg seems like a pretty reasonable guy to me.

The agent works for the player, not the team or the fans. So a good agent by definition is a guy who gets the most money for his client, even if it means holding out or whatever.

The agent works for the player, not the team or the fans. So a good agent by definition is a guy who gets the most money for his client, even if it means holding out or whatever.
Yes, although you could say a player's reputation should also be protected.A good agent gets his client the most possible with the least negative press. If there is to be negative press, it should be about how much of an ####### the agent is.

The good agents fight to get their guys the best deal and do it fairly and without causing a scene or a media circus. So, they're out there, you just don't hear much about them, which is the way it should be.

I will not rest until I have you holding a Coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial, starring you, broadcast during the Superbowl, in a game that you are winning, and I will not sleep until that happens. I'll give you fifteen minutes to call me back. <----------This guy was good until he ate two slices of bad pizza and grew a conscience.

From what I know, Steinberg's company is pretty good. They not only have great success in getting good contracts for their players, but they work with the players on long-term financial planning, community involvement and charity work.

I took a sports law class from their former general counsel, and not only did Leigh Steinberg take time to come teach a couple classes, but he took on a couple interns, one of whom ended up with a job with his company.

I'm not so sure Rosenhaus is a bad agent.

Seems to me he has a lot of high profile rooks (I think he is the U of Miami's official agent), and I think he has a pretty good recent history with getting his players signed.

I might also submit that a "good" agent from a fan's perspective might be a ####ty agent from a player's perspective.

OK, I get it. This is America. Home of capitalism and make as much as fast as possible. BUT, too often seems, especially in the NFL, players agents take it too far...ultimately coming at expense of the long term good of the player. Rosenhaus, Postons, Bus Cook, etc are all guilty. Sure we hate T.O., but how much of his antics were inspired by Rosenhaus.

This year's cap number for Steve Mcnair is an insane $23.5m. The Titans would like to rework his contract to a managable number. Bus Cook wants an extension & bonus. Talks are 'surprisingly' :eek: stalled until after the draft. I think if the Titans are comfortable with things post-draft, Air Mac may end up with a bird on the side of his helmet to start '06...making less than he would have inTN this year...because of an agent that's squeezing the franchise.

So, the point of my post...Is there such a thing as a good agent...for the player, team, and NFL...all in one person.
BUMP considering the latest McNair news...

OK, I get it. This is America. Home of capitalism and make as much as fast as possible. BUT,  too often seems, especially in the NFL, players agents take it too far...ultimately coming at expense of the long term good of the player. Rosenhaus, Postons, Bus Cook, etc are all guilty. Sure we hate T.O., but how much of his antics were inspired by Rosenhaus.

Why is the agent the bad guy here (McNair/Bus Cook)? Because McNair has restructured year after year and now refuses to restructure and defer more money when Tennessee is looking to draft a rookie? My understanding, forgive me if I am wrong, is that McNair has bent over backwards for this franchise and now he wants to make sure that he has a job for the last 2 or 3 years of his career.

OK, I get it. This is America. Home of capitalism and make as much as fast as possible. BUT,  too often seems, especially in the NFL, players agents take it too far...ultimately coming at expense of the long term good of the player. Rosenhaus, Postons, Bus Cook, etc are all guilty. Sure we hate T.O., but how much of his antics were inspired by Rosenhaus.

Why is the agent the bad guy here (McNair/Bus Cook)? Because McNair has restructured year after year and now refuses to restructure and defer more money when Tennessee is looking to draft a rookie? My understanding, forgive me if I am wrong, is that McNair has bent over backwards for this franchise and now he wants to make sure that he has a job for the last 2 or 3 years of his career.
Listen, restructuring to play the "CAP" game is a way of life in the NFL. I am as much of a McNair fan as anyone and would HATE to see him get cut due to his unwillingness to restructure (or take less...see Elvis Grbac :hey: ), but his agent is foul. :thumbdown: And not taking his best interests in mind here...

Listen, restructuring to play the "CAP" game is a way of life in the NFL. I am as much of a McNair fan as anyone and would HATE to see him get cut due to his unwillingness to restructure (or take less...see Elvis Grbac :hey: ), but his agent is foul. :thumbdown: And not taking his best interests in mind here...
Listen, the player still has the right not to play the "CAP" game. You, nor I, nor anyone on this board has any idea exactly what the Titans want him to restructure to or what Baltimore will seemingly pay him. I think it's BS that we all think that it is a player's duty to restructure thier contract year after year and that they are screwing thier team if they do not. Tennessee got themselves in this situation and now it is McNair's duty to get them out of it? If he thinks the grass is greener then he has the right to not restructure. Maybe he thinks that if he plays for Baltimore he will be the guarenteed starter for 2 or 3 more years. Maybe he thinks that if he stays with Tennessee he will only get 6 or 8 games before Leinart takes his job and then he gets cut next year. A player that has done all that McNair has for Tennessee deserves to make his own decision on whether or not he wants to restructure again.Tennessee reserves the right to cut him, McNair reserves the right to refuse his paycut. That's how the "CAP GAME" is played.

I believe it is the fans who have a warped sense of preception and the bolded statement above is what I am talking about.T.O. does not work for Rosenhaus, Rosenhaus works for T.O. The same business model exists for McNair and his agent. Players and agents are trying to play this good cop \ bad cop shtick and fans are slopping it up like farm pigs at a trough.

We need to stop holding agents accountable for their actions and start holding players accountable for the actions of those they wish to employ.

Listen, the player still has the right not to play the "CAP" game. You, nor I, nor anyone on this board has any idea exactly what the Titans want him to restructure to or what Baltimore will seemingly pay him. I think it's BS that we all think that it is a player's duty to restructure thier contract year after year and that they are screwing thier team if they do not. Tennessee got themselves in this situation and now it is McNair's duty to get them out of it? If he thinks the grass is greener then he has the right to not restructure. Maybe he thinks that if he plays for Baltimore he will be the guarenteed starter for 2 or 3 more years. Maybe he thinks that if he stays with Tennessee he will only get 6 or 8 games before Leinart takes his job and then he gets cut next year. A player that has done all that McNair has for Tennessee deserves to make his own decision on whether or not he wants to restructure again.Tennessee reserves the right to cut him, McNair reserves the right to refuse his paycut. That's how the "CAP GAME" is played.
It depends on HOW they want to restructure too. I was under the impression that McNair wants money up front, and TEN was going to backload his contract again. kind of a hijack..(sorry) but it seems to me that is an issue with the TEN front office. Washington restuctures several contracts almost every year. When they do they turn future payments into signing bonus, then lower the salary. Player A gets his $$ now, and is happy. Not how everyone does things, but it seems to have been pretty successfull the past few years. (if you have the bankroll)

Users who are viewing this thread