What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

cooking shows, best and least favorite all time. (1 Viewer)

I really enjoyed Restaurants on the Edge (on Netflix).  Like many restoration shows without the drama. All gorgeous locations. One is in the Arlberg (Austrian Alps)...big influence on where I wanted to set up a restaurant/inn.

As others have mentioned Good Eats was my all time favorite. I loved how Alton told/explained the 'why' behind the steps of making food. I also liked how at the beginning he was not a 'chef' so much as he was a film maker, so his shows were fun to watch, and more than just him standing over a counter and a stove.

Molto Mario calmed me down so many times during law school when I was smoking cocaine and missing class.

Good old Batali. I wish he hadn't been a #metoo guy. 

As others have mentioned Good Eats was my all time favorite. I loved how Alton told/explained the 'why' behind the steps of making food. I also liked how at the beginning he was not a 'chef' so much as he was a film maker, so his shows were fun to watch, and more than just him standing over a counter and a stove.
I started catching up on AB's "Quarantine Quitchen" on YouTube over the weekend.  It's basically him and his wife drinking and making dinner live from their house every Tuesday (7PM EDT). Pretty entertaining in a goofy way, and nice to see that his home kitchen is as messy and disorganized as mine.

Good Eats - Alton was gold before he got weird

The Great British Baking Show - Best with Mary Berry and Sue and Mel

The Original Iron Chef - The Japanese one

Nailed It - For pure comedy, the foreign ones were probably the best (Mexico, France etc.)

James Bond said:
Good Eats - Alton was gold before he got weird

The Great British Baking Show - Best with Mary Berry and Sue and Mel

The Original Iron Chef - The Japanese one

Nailed It - For pure comedy, the foreign ones were probably the best (Mexico, France etc.)
Weird how?

Became very negative IMO. Almost like evil Alton (Star trek reference). I liked Good Eats because it seemed to translate to everyone, not just cooking fans. But his Cutthroat Kitchen was the opposite. Needless schtick and goofy twists that he appeared to relish. Too much.

Became very negative IMO. Almost like evil Alton (Star trek reference). I liked Good Eats because it seemed to translate to everyone, not just cooking fans. But his Cutthroat Kitchen was the opposite. Needless schtick and goofy twists that he appeared to relish. Too much.
I wonder how much of that came from the producers wanting a certain "edge" to the show. I'm not a fan of the competition cooking genre (GBBO excluded) in general, due to the artificial stress/drama.

As I noted, check out his weekly YouTube show with his wife. More his goofy side, although not as instructional as Good Eats was.

Alton Brown will always be revered for showing me how to properly cook a steak but the dude’s schtick was terrible. So annoying that if I ever see his show I change the channel immediately 
If you catch his more recent "Good Eats: Reloaded" shows, I think you'll find he largely agrees with you. In addition to updating recipes/techniques, he spends a good bit of time mocking his earlier episodes.

America's test kitchen

Triple d

Worst:

Pioneer woman - her recipes are awful and it is clear she did not go to culinary school. I have no idea how she has been on the air for as long as she has.

in 200 words, or less.

How does one cook a steak?
Ingredients

Steaks of your choice

Olive oil

Seasoning

Instructions

Place a large well-seasoned cast iron fry pan in the oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Keep pan in oven 10-12 minutes after 500 degrees is reached; pan should smoke lightly. While pan is heating, lightly oil top and bottom of steaks with a good olive oil; season top side to taste. Turn gas cooktop on high and move pan from oven to burner. Place steaks seasoned side up in pan. The steak should sizzle immediately. Brown 30-60 seconds depending on the thickness. Flip the steak and repeat same length of time.

Remove from stove top and return to oven; cook 6 – 10 minutes depending on thickness for medium; a bit less for medium rare.

By Alton Brown

Good Eats and Emeril Live will always be my two favorites. Currently, I like watching Master Chef....especially the kids. I could do without the bald dooshnozzle, but the rest of them are pretty good IMO.

Interesting note: Nigella Lawson graduated from Oxford University with a degree in medieval and modern languages.

I'm sitting here watching the Rick Bayless show Mexico One plate at a time. One of my favorites. He's visiting a high end bed and breakfast in Mexico, and is preparing an exquisite meal using lamb, local chilies, cheeses, and fruit. Very high end meal. Looks amazing.

The commercials are for Taco Bell.

I'm insulted, but also think 'That's brilliant marketing, you crazy !#$%!'

Users who are viewing this thread