What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coop's Dynasty Rules Of Thumb (3 Viewers)

As I look back on this trade...... I won the title in 17, which means giving up OBJ was well worth it.  This trade happened 1-2 weeks before his ankle injury last year,  Haunts me at times long term.... oddly, i was the first round opponent this year of Coop, without green, and advanced.  On paper it looks horrible for me... in the pocketbook, it was the right move.
I dropped Dez for the Titans D this year... meh  
I was reloading, you were contending. In no way was it a bad deal for you at the time. Dez was still carrying 3rd round startup value. 

have to throw the flag down on this one..for Team 1, how many teams are in your league  , 4? you got Zeke, Kamara, Hopkins,Thomas AND Ertz? c'mon now. seriously, I mean you have to be in a 4 team league, right? or you're drafting against 8 yr olds.

Team 2 has Rodgers, Barkley, Zeke, Kamara, Mixon, J.s.shuster,Evans .please.

Team 3 has OBJ AND Julio?! lol , Kamara, Big Ben, Lindsay?  

Team 4 is the only one I could see that you needed to work to make it win.

anyways most of the advice is good. Go big for TE is correct, most fantasy leagues haven't changed TE rec pts from 15 yards to 25 to make them equal to WRs - but they should.

always have 2 QBs and play match-ups.thats the best nugget of your whole post. 

but saying you won 4 of 5 leagues , with THOSE rosters, is a bit misleading. you SHOULD win 4 of 5 with those stacked gems!
I am the original owner in all of those leagues. This thread is about how I built those rosters, not how I managed them in-season. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an aside, I feel as though any league for which this is anything close to optimal strategy has a serious imbalance in its roster / lineup requirements, scoring, or both.

An ideal league would balance positional strength such that you should be basically indifferent to position in your drafting, trading, or roster management strategy. Obviously, that’s impossible in the real world, but any league format that rewards drafting nothing but RBs falls miles short of the ideal. At a minimum I would ensure  ...
The reason I prefer to draft RBs has little to do with how they are rewarded in fantasy formats. The WR hit rate has been awful since the OBJ draft. TEs come with a long wait. QBs often have a wait and are hard to trade in 1x QB formats. For more patient owners, or those rebuilding, this might not be an issue. I just don't want to draft a guy and be tempted to trade him too early. I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, I'm saying this is the right way for me to do it, based on my personality and leagues. 

In addition, RB is easier for us to "scout" without all-22 angles. You only get to see a few full routes a game, using tv angles. I feel like I'm a lot better at identifying RB talent than I am at the other positions. 

I am not sure how the OP was able to acquire the players he did for the trades he listed.  I understand there is some hindsight in looking back but the studs he got were never going as cheap in my leagues as he was able to obtain them.  Trading is very league/owner dependent.  
People keep hinting that my leagues - my 4 different leagues - are the exception. I'm willing to bet you're basing that on a fuzzy recollection of player value at the time.

(For example, some questioned the Kamara for McCoy/Thomas/3rd trade. I went back and looked - and McCoy had a higher ADP than Kamara that month.)

There's an easy way to confirm or disconfirm my suspicion: post a link to your leagues from the same time span. Let's review the trades and see how they compare to those in my leagues.  

3 of my 4 leagues are dominated by FBG posters/lurkers. The other is a DLF league, made up of their customers. These aren't friends and family leagues. 

Solid post, I’m surprised I missed this earlier in the year. 

Have you done any recent startups? I’m curious what your strategy is, from the sounds of it you like to trade away future picks for proven talent. 

Solid post, I’m surprised I missed this earlier in the year. 

Have you done any recent startups? I’m curious what your strategy is, from the sounds of it you like to trade away future picks for proven talent. 
My startup philosophy, in a nutshell, is to take value as it comes (not pigeonhole my picks/strategy) and move around to find it. 

I like to trade my future picks to turn my 3rd and 4th round picks into 1st and early 2nd round picks. I also like to trade my 5th and 6ths for future firsts, however. Rookie picks are most random during the startup. If the other owner is willing to sell a random 1st at the cost of a late 1st - I'll always make that deal. 

As often as possible, I want to be drafting one of the last guys left from that tier. If I have a bunch of guys I value evenly when I'm on the clock, I'll try to trade back. When one or two guys really stick out and I don't pick for awhile, I'll try to trade up for them. 

When rookie draft picks are part of the startup, I've found them to be underrated. Drafting rookie picks and then trading them after/during the rookie draft is usually easy money. 

I try to draft young, especially early, but will take value as it presents itself. 

My last startup draft was last season. I bundled my 3rd (startup) with my 1st and 2nd round rookie picks and drafted Kamara. I tried, but was unable to trade my 6th for a 1st. My first 3 picks were OBJ, Kamara, and Julio. 

Some leagues, like the one I mentioned, have deep rosters & are 14 team. The WW is normally bare
Certainly league dependent. I haven't played in a 14+ team leauge in a while (all 12s currently), but I do value depth in my 26 man 4x taxi 4x IR league more than I do in my 25 man no taxi no IR league. I still value it less than the rest of my league, however. 

But you're right: league and roster size should alter strategy. 

People keep hinting that my leagues - my 4 different leagues - are the exception. I'm willing to bet you're basing that on a fuzzy recollection of player value at the time.

(For example, some questioned the Kamara for McCoy/Thomas/3rd trade. I went back and looked - and McCoy had a higher ADP than Kamara that month.)

There's an easy way to confirm or disconfirm my suspicion: post a link to your leagues from the same time span. Let's review the trades and see how they compare to those in my leagues.  

3 of my 4 leagues are dominated by FBG posters/lurkers. The other is a DLF league, made up of their customers. These aren't friends and family leagues. 
I agree that trading is very league dependent.  That was my point.  In my leagues the players you obtained were not total nobodies but they weren't proven.  Kamara (mid 2017) had already shown signs of being a stud (especially in our scoring where you get a bonus at 50 yds rushing or 50 yds receiving). 

You also need a league that is confident in their ability to evaluate talent.  If you have a hesitant owner they rarely don't trade away pieces without a significant overpay because they thing they are being screwed or don't trust themselves.  I think your approach is decent but it takes specific situations to capitalize on trades the way you have. 

I agree that trading is very league dependent.  That was my point.  In my leagues the players you obtained were not total nobodies but they weren't proven.  Kamara (mid 2017) had already shown signs of being a stud (especially in our scoring where you get a bonus at 50 yds rushing or 50 yds receiving). 

You also need a league that is confident in their ability to evaluate talent.  If you have a hesitant owner they rarely don't trade away pieces without a significant overpay because they thing they are being screwed or don't trust themselves.  I think your approach is decent but it takes specific situations to capitalize on trades the way you have. 
I probably should have quoted @Tanner9919. I may have wrongly lumped your comments in with his and a few others. It sounds like you might have been saying something at least slightly different. My apologies if so. 

I will say that from my experience - quite a few leagues over the last dozen years or so  - it's more accurate to say that there are specific situations where you can't orchestrate trades like these, rather than the other way around. 

Users who are viewing this thread