What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corey Dillon..... (1 Viewer)

Fumbleweed

Footballguy
(KFFL) John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots RB Corey Dillon signed a five-year, $25 million extension last spring and could be due $6 million next year, which makes him a potential victim of cost cutting. So, what will New England do with Dillon?

Not our problem :) We got Rudi.All kidding aside, I didn't realize this was the case with Dillon. Part of that equation of course would be what his replacement would cost (I don't think his replacement is on that roster as it is now). We all know the word "restructure" isn't in his vocabulary. Thanks for the heads up as this will be worth keepin' an eye on.WHO DEY.-QG

I doubt Dillon will be playing for the salary indicated, so he will either have to renegotiate or face the getting cut.

We all know the word "restructure" isn't in his vocabulary.
Actually, Dillon has already negotiated twice since coming to New England. The first time was when he first got to town and he took a lot lower salary. IIRC the second involved adding in performance clauses and incentives that appear to have kicked in that are making his cap number big for next year.

Heh, I stand corrected about the salary deal, but the question would be how much dough would he have to drop and how willing would he be to do so the 3rd time around. He'll always be "Leon" to me and I'm grateful that we got (Mr. player who I can't remember right now) with that pick we got for him.-QG

If his salary is lower than what he originally signed, I don't see why NE would drop him. If it's the 5 year, $25 million deal still, I could see them letting him go this offseason or the next. Due to his age and the mileage, I don't think many thought he'd ever fulfill his entire 5 year contract when he signed it...

The guy really battled injuries and looked horrible late in the year. The Pats would be better off taking the cap hit and going with Faulk (who is actually a pretty good option)/Patrick Pass/ and Heath Evans trio.

The guy really battled injuries and looked horrible late in the year. The Pats would be better off taking the cap hit and going with Faulk (who is actually a pretty good option)/Patrick Pass/ and Heath Evans trio.
At this stage of the game I'm pretty sure that the Pats don't view any of these options as starter material. They all are good in limited doses and situationally, but I doubt they would intentioonally look to give any of them the starting job. There are a ton of decent free agent options (and always the incoming class of rookies) should they feel that Dillon is too old, too banged up, too slow, and/or too expensive. I know Coach B was not enthralled with Dillon never getting healthy enough to go full bore this year.More troubling financially for the Pats are Brady's $13 million cap hit with McGinnest ($8 million) and Seymour ($7 million and change).

The guy really battled injuries and looked horrible late in the year.  The Pats would be better off taking the cap hit and going with Faulk (who is actually a pretty good option)/Patrick Pass/ and Heath Evans trio.
Boy their running game would suck if they only had those guys. Great at catching passes out of the backfield, but who's gonna grind it out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm biased as an owner, but I'd love to see Michael Turner in New England.Too bad the Chargers in all likelihood wouldn't trade him.

I'm biased as an owner, but I'd love to see Michael Turner in New England.

Too bad the Chargers in all likelihood wouldn't trade him.
That would be a very nice compliment to the NE offense. The kid can play.

Patriots | Dillon expected to return KFFLTue, 17 Jan 2006 14:14:52 -0800Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots RB Corey Dillon is slated to have a $4.3 million salary cap figure in 2006. However, if the team were to cut him, he would cost more money - $5.4 million - in dead money against the salary cap than it would cost to keep him. He is expected to return to the team. For what its worth :confused:

Patriots | Dillon expected to return KFFL

Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:14:52 -0800

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots RB Corey Dillon is slated to have a $4.3 million salary cap figure in 2006. However, if the team were to cut him, he would cost more money - $5.4 million - in dead money against the salary cap than it would cost to keep him. He is expected to return to the team.

For what its worth  :confused:
I was just going to post this. This is why he'll almost certainly be back next year.The big question with Dillon is how hurt was he this year. Since the Pats are beyond secretive about injuries we may never know. One thing is for certain though. He wasn't good in 2005. There really wasn't too much positive about Dillon this year. It was as if 2004 was five seasons ago because the back we saw this year definetly did not resemble the back from last year. He was slower but speed has never been his big thing. What really concerns me was he did not run with the violence he did in 04 when he punished opponents and was a yardage monster after contact. This year he went down pretty easily, didn't hit the hole hard and just didn't seem as focused. Does anyone remember seeing one of his pattened stiff-arms this year? Since his injuries were supposed to be leg related it is quite possible his best days are behind him because his legs weren't the only issue this year.

You'll definetly see another RB in the fold next year. Whether it's a big time RB or a complimentary type may revolve around how hurt Dillon was and what the Pats think he has left. Even if Dillon bounces back he's not getting any younger so a young pair of legs is needed. I'd love to see the Pats add a RB that's a homerun threat that opponents have to really take into account. Right now they really don't have that type of weapon. Faulk's an excellent third down back who's very verstatile but he's not a scorer and loses effectiveness if he's used too much. Pass is a quality backup and Evans actually looks like a decent depth guy. Yet, a youngster who can add a little zip would be a very welcome addition and help diversify the Patriot attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots RB Corey Dillon is slated to have a $4.3 million salary cap figure in 2006. However, if the team were to cut him, he would cost more money - $5.4 million - in dead money against the salary cap than it would cost to keep him. He is expected to return to the team.

For what its worth :confused:
IIRC, the Patriots could afford the cap hit if they wanted to. You're probably right though, he should be back.I agree on Turner, but don't hold your breath.

For what its worth :confused:
I was just going to post this. This is why he'll almost certainly be back next year.The big question with Dillon is how hurt was he this year. Since the Pats are beyond secretive about injuries we may never know. One thing is for certain though. He wasn't good in 2005. There really wasn't too much positive about Dillon this year. It was as if 2004 was five seasons ago because the back we saw this year definetly did not resemble the back from last year. He was slower but speed has never been his big thing. What really concerns me was he did not run with the violence he did in 04 when he punished opponents and was a yardage monster after contact. This year he went down pretty easily, didn't hit the hole hard and just didn't seem as focused. Does anyone remember seeing one of his pattened stiff-arms this year? Since his injuries were supposed to be leg related it is quite possible his best days are behind him because his legs weren't the only issue this year.

You'll definetly see another RB in the fold next year. Whether it's a big time RB or a complimentary type may revolve around how hurt Dillon was and what the Pats think he has left. Even if Dillon bounces back he's not getting any younger so a young pair of legs is needed. I'd love to see the Pats add a RB that's a homerun threat that opponents have to really take into account. Right now they really don't have that type of weapon. Faulk's an excellent third down back who's very verstatile but he's not a scorer and loses effectiveness if he's used too much. Pass is a quality backup and Evans actually looks like a decent depth guy. Yet, a youngster who can add a little zip would be a very welcome addition and help diversify the Patriot attack.
Get a Tatum Bell type...

Get a Tatum Bell type...
I agree.The Pats will use the draft (2nd or 3rd round) to pick up a home run speed threat out of the backfield, IMO. Then they'll go with a RBBC all year to reduce Corey's wear and tear.

Get a Tatum Bell type...
I agree.The Pats will use the draft (2nd or 3rd round) to pick up a home run speed threat out of the backfield, IMO. Then they'll go with a RBBC all year to reduce Corey's wear and tear.
It's really too bad Cobbs didn't work out as planned. In theory he would be exactly what the doctor ordered right now. Unfortunately he had the IQ of a kicking tee, wasn't the hardest worker and couldn't stay healthy.

I was never all that high on Cobbs. He reminded me of a poor man's JR Redmond.I think a kid like Jerious Norwood would be a GREAT pickup in the middle of the draft.

I was never all that high on Cobbs. He reminded me of a poor man's JR Redmond.

I think a kid like Jerious Norwood would be a GREAT pickup in the middle of the draft.
The guy a lot of people had pegged for the Pats in the Cobbs draft was Mewelde Moore. While not all world he definetly would be a positive and light years better than Cobbs.It will interesting to see what they do with this position. Nothing would surprise me. From a big name to a mid-round pick, anything is a possibility. An interesting name I have heard floated a few times is Chester Taylor. Obviously that's just the rumor mill but it is intriguing.

I was never all that high on Cobbs.  He reminded me of a poor man's JR Redmond.

I think a kid like Jerious Norwood would be a GREAT pickup in the middle of the draft.
The guy a lot of people had pegged for the Pats in the Cobbs draft was Mewelde Moore. While not all world he definetly would be a positive and light years better than Cobbs.It will interesting to see what they do with this position. Nothing would surprise me. From a big name to a mid-round pick, anything is a possibility. An interesting name I have heard floated a few times is Chester Taylor. Obviously that's just the rumor mill but it is intriguing.
I haven't watched Taylor that much. Isn't he the same kind of up-the-middle runner as Dillon?If they go the free agent route, I'd take a shot with Michael Bennett.

I was never all that high on Cobbs.  He reminded me of a poor man's JR Redmond.

I haven't watched Taylor that much. Isn't he the same kind of up-the-middle runner as Dillon?If they go the free agent route, I'd take a shot with Michael Bennett.
Taylor's not really like Dillon. He's not as big or physical (at least the way Dilon used to run) but he's a little more verstatile and faster.As for Bennett I just don't see that happening. He gets hurt a lot and that is a pet peeve of BB's. Also, he's never really been known for his attitude. If you're putting up big numbers like a Dillon that's one thing. The Pats will take a chance on you after doing their research. Yet, a guy like Bennett would really have to sell BB and Pioli that he can fit in and contribute to the Pats.

Dillon was a great RB, but the dude has had too many carries over the years and he is worn down. He has always had a trick knee that has forced him out of games at inopportune times. The Pats are better off looking elsewhere before they have another Eddie George on their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread