What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corey Simon -Tag removed (1 Viewer)

saints guy

Footballguy
Eagles did the same thing with Trotter a few years ago ....... why would you just remove the tag and get nothing? makes no sense to me. Can anyone shed a positive light on this movearticle ........August 28, 2005, 20:51 Eagles :: DLEagles Withdraw Franchise Tag on DT SimonDan Gelston, The Washington Times(AP) - [Full Article]The Philadelphia Eagles withdrew their franchise tag on former first-round draft pick DT Corey Simon on Sunday, making the defensive tackle an unrestricted free agent. Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but wanted a long-term contract, never signed the deal or reported to the minicamps or training camp.

Eagles did the same thing with Trotter a few years ago ....... why would you just remove the tag and get nothing? makes no sense to me. Can anyone shed a positive light on this move

article ........

August 28, 2005, 20:51

Eagles :: DL

Eagles Withdraw Franchise Tag on DT Simon

Dan Gelston, The Washington Times(AP) - [Full Article]

The Philadelphia Eagles withdrew their franchise tag on former first-round draft pick DT Corey Simon on Sunday, making the defensive tackle an unrestricted free agent. Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but wanted a long-term contract, never signed the deal or reported to the minicamps or training camp.
I would infer that since the 2 sides were far apart on a long term deal and he was not in camp, the Eagles just cut bait and saved themselves $5.1 million. I am sure they tried to trade him, but there must not have been any value. It will be interesting to see how much he finally signs for. I'm guessing it will not be as much as he hoped.

Eagles did the same thing with Trotter a few years ago ....... why would you just remove the tag and get nothing?  makes no sense to me.  Can anyone shed a positive light on this move

article ........

August 28, 2005, 20:51

Eagles :: DL

Eagles Withdraw Franchise Tag on DT Simon

Dan Gelston, The Washington Times(AP) - [Full Article]

The Philadelphia Eagles withdrew their franchise tag on former first-round draft pick DT Corey Simon on Sunday, making the defensive tackle an unrestricted free agent. Simon was offered a one-year franchise tender worth about $5.13 million, but wanted a long-term contract, never signed the deal or reported to the minicamps or training camp.
I would infer that since the 2 sides were far apart on a long term deal and he was not in camp, the Eagles just cut bait and saved themselves $5.1 million. I am sure they tried to trade him, but there must not have been any value. It will be interesting to see how much he finally signs for. I'm guessing it will not be as much as he hoped.
Perhaps the Eagles and the Packers could work something out. The pack are really hurting in their defense and the Eagles were looking at trying to get Ferguson and N Davenport from the Pack. As a Ferguson owner I would love to see him get traded and get a chance to play the way I know he can. But the Pack says no way to trading to someone in the NFC and with Chatman hurt, can't really afford to trade Fergie but, maybe Davenport. I can dream! :banned:

There were rumors reported that deals have been worked out with the Bengals and Ravens contingent on Simon signing a deal with either team. Both teams said that Simon's contract demands were ridiculous and both deals were squashed.As an Eagles fan - I'm not bothered by the move. I think the Eagles are fine. Simon's an aging pass rusher. And as helix said, I seriously doubt he will get what he is asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eagles did the same thing with Trotter a few years ago ....... why would you just remove the tag and get nothing? makes no sense to me. Can anyone shed a positive light on this move
Well, if you don't think he's worth the money that the franchise tag would necessitate paying him (a good assumption IMHO) and he won't agree to a contract for less, and other teams aren't willing to pay him what he's demanding such that you can work a trade, then what else are you supposed to do. This is called cutting your losses. This essentially frees up money that the Eagles can use to sign someone waived by another team (like a WR) as well as a roster spot that they can devote to someone else. It's not like they need him with Patterson there and doing well by all accounts.

Well, if you don't think he's worth the money that the franchise tag would necessitate paying him (a good assumption IMHO) and he won't agree to a contract for less, and other teams aren't willing to pay him what he's demanding such that you can work a trade, then what else are you supposed to do. This is called cutting your losses. This essentially frees up money that the Eagles can use to sign someone waived by another team (like a WR) as well as a roster spot that they can devote to someone else. It's not like they need him with Patterson there and doing well by all accounts.
:goodposting: The Eagles tried to trade him but the deals all fell through because Simon wanted too much. No team was willing to go through with the trade when they knew Simon wouldn't show up unless he got the $$$ he wanted.

Hopefully he signs with Green Bay - they certainly need the help.But, if the other interested team signs him offensive coordinators on the RAVEN'S schedule will be in deep trouble.

Indy signed him. I'm a Simon owner in dynasty, and I think this could be huge! He was underperforming in Philly, but he could be a beautiful UT in this scheme, and with Freeny there opposite him he should get opportunities to make plays. :towelwave: :clap: :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread