What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corona Virus Serious Level - 3.6.20 (1 Viewer)

For you and where you live, on a scale of 1 (not serious) to 10 (most serious) How Serious Do You Th

• 1. Not Serious At All. Barely a news blip that'll be gone in a few days.

Votes: 8 3.0%

Votes: 22 8.2%

Votes: 38 14.1%

Votes: 41 15.2%

Votes: 40 14.9%

Votes: 41 15.2%

Votes: 50 18.6%

Votes: 18 6.7%

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 10 Most Serious. Like being attacked in an all out WW3 type thing.

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters
But what if the hysteria and people taking precautions is what prevents it from breaking out. 
I think they guarantee it's spread. Instead of everyone being rational and buying what they need, they panic and buy a four year supply of hand sanitizer, leaving 1/2 the folks with nothing. Nearly guarantees the spread will go unchecked and get them in the end.

I think they guarantee it's spread. Instead of everyone being rational and buying what they need, they panic and buy a four year supply of hand sanitizer, leaving 1/2 the folks with nothing. Nearly guarantees the spread will go unchecked and get them in the end.
I mean that part is kind of stupid but people in general staying home and being cleaner than most of these nasty folks usually are could go a long ways here. 

I picked WW3 because this is going to be that impactful.  Certain events are never forgotten and we are pretty close to this being one of them.  I think we are 7-10 days away from going through things none of us have ever been through. Maybe we will laugh and meme our way through.  I hope I’m wrong but it seems unavoidable based on the current lack of response.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what if the hysteria and people taking precautions is what prevents it from breaking out. 
Possible chicken or egg scenario but if this is bad as people think, I believe we will know.   Not convinced that we are being all that careful yet, plenty of people in denial that we even have a problem.

This is how I originally felt but I don't recall those being "everywhere"
H1N1 was much worse in the infection and fatality rate, as well as how quickly it spread and there wasn't a vaccine for a long time.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

"The (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from H1N1 viruses that were circulating at the time of the pandemic. Few young people had any existing immunity (as detected by antibody response) to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus, but nearly one-third of people over 60 years old had antibodies against this virus, likely from exposure to an older H1N1 virus earlier in their lives. Since the (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from circulating H1N1 viruses, vaccination with seasonal flu vaccines offered little cross-protection against (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection. While a monovalent (H1N1)pdm09 vaccine was produced, it was not available in large quantities until late November—after the peak of illness during the second wave had come and gone in the United States.

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.** Globally, 80 percent of (H1N1)pdm09 virus-related deaths were estimated to have occurred in people younger than 65 years of age. This differs greatly from typical seasonal influenza epidemics, during which about 70 percent to 90 percent of deaths are estimated to occur in people 65 years and older.

Though the 2009 flu pandemic primarily affected children and young and middle-aged adults, the impact of the (H1N1)pdm09 virus on the global population during the first year was less severe than that of previous pandemics. Estimates of pandemic influenza mortality ranged from 0.03 percent of the world’s population during the 1968 H3N2 pandemic to 1 percent to 3 percent of the world’s population during the 1918 H1N1 pandemic. It is estimated that 0.001 percent to 0.007 percent of the world’s population died of respiratory complications associated with (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first 12 months the virus circulated."

Do these outbreaks have any correlation to election years?  Looking over the years it sure seems like they coincide with elections.

mr. furley said:
H1N1 was much worse in the infection and fatality rate, as well as how quickly it spread and there wasn't a vaccine for a long time.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

"The (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from H1N1 viruses that were circulating at the time of the pandemic. Few young people had any existing immunity (as detected by antibody response) to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus, but nearly one-third of people over 60 years old had antibodies against this virus, likely from exposure to an older H1N1 virus earlier in their lives. Since the (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from circulating H1N1 viruses, vaccination with seasonal flu vaccines offered little cross-protection against (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection. While a monovalent (H1N1)pdm09 vaccine was produced, it was not available in large quantities until late November—after the peak of illness during the second wave had come and gone in the United States.

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.** Globally, 80 percent of (H1N1)pdm09 virus-related deaths were estimated to have occurred in people younger than 65 years of age. This differs greatly from typical seasonal influenza epidemics, during which about 70 percent to 90 percent of deaths are estimated to occur in people 65 years and older.

Though the 2009 flu pandemic primarily affected children and young and middle-aged adults, the impact of the (H1N1)pdm09 virus on the global population during the first year was less severe than that of previous pandemics. Estimates of pandemic influenza mortality ranged from 0.03 percent of the world’s population during the 1968 H3N2 pandemic to 1 percent to 3 percent of the world’s population during the 1918 H1N1 pandemic. It is estimated that 0.001 percent to 0.007 percent of the world’s population died of respiratory complications associated with (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first 12 months the virus circulated."
holy #### 

I guess I just don't see this as anything more than another flu strain.  It seems to be basically the same as other flu's (which kill more than I thought per year when checking out the annual flu death rates).  It is worse for those in bad health and/or older which is similar to any other flu strain.  So what makes this a big deal?   I am trying to figure out what I am missing based on the actual virus itself. 

I think it is getting blown way out of proportion but I may be missing something about the virus.  The symptoms and duration seem to fall in line with other flu type viruses.  So why is this a big deal?

I guess I just don't see this as anything more than another flu strain.  It seems to be basically the same as other flu's (which kill more than I thought per year when checking out the annual flu death rates).  It is worse for those in bad health and/or older which is similar to any other flu strain.  So what makes this a big deal?   I am trying to figure out what I am missing based on the actual virus itself. 

I think it is getting blown way out of proportion but I may be missing something about the virus.  The symptoms and duration seem to fall in line with other flu type viruses.  So why is this a big deal?
The "Unknown"   factor.

Last week a doctor stated if the flu were discovered today it would be far worse. It is just that people know and are used to the flu, plus we now have flu shots.  18 thousand people have died from the flu this season but that must be an acceptable number as it is never talked about.

as far as i understand it, it's that these viruses which jump from animal to human aren't well understood (though, better understood than previous iterations) so science isn't quite sure how to quickly respond... as they are (generally) with influenza.

there's some belief, based on early reporting, that this could spread unchecked for quite a while and kill the elderly and infirm at a high rate.. and even take down some young, ostensibly healthy people.

but what seems to be happening is reporting is based mostly (only?) on the number of people who self-reported to a hospital.. and the fatality figures are being extrapolated on those who reported to hospital & died.   doctors don't seem to have a good handle yet on how many people are actually sick and either don't go in for a checkup, or who go in and aren't diagnosed. so news media in 2020, being what it is, will write shocking headlines in hopes of going viral before rational actors like the CDC can pour cold water on the panic

now the CDC is playing catch up to Karen's facebook page that has 1 billion followers, and human nature being what it is means reeling in the hot takes is going to take a lot longer than the fear mongering took to spread.

The "Unknown"   factor.

Last week a doctor stated if the flu were discovered today it would be far worse. It is just that people know and are used to the flu, plus we now have flu shots.  18 thousand people have died from the flu this season but that must be an acceptable number as it is never talked about.
So the actual virus itself is similar to the regular flu?  The hysteria seems a little misplaced to me.  It doesn't seem to be like the disease in Outbreak but the hysteria seems to be on that level.  It is almost a self fulfilling issue (water and TP shortages for example).  People think a big issue and do over the top actions causing issues because things cannot keep up.

So the actual virus itself is similar to the regular flu?  The hysteria seems a little misplaced to me.  It doesn't seem to be like the disease in Outbreak but the hysteria seems to be on that level.  It is almost a self fulfilling issue (water and TP shortages for example).  People think a big issue and do over the top actions causing issues because things cannot keep up.
Lack of Leadership

(It is also much different than the flu, in that we don't yet have a vaccine, and nobody has any natural immunity built up.  But the chaos is a direct result of a lack of leadership, globally, and specifically here in the US.)

Again it is just the unknown right now. Seems many people might have had it without knowing and recovered fine.  Others not so.  

might as well tell you this now, but already there have  been THOUSANDS if not Tens of THOUSANDS of infections in the US of this virus.   All of them unreported/unrecorded because they weren't tested for and weren't self reported.   

mr. furley said:
H1N1 was much worse in the ... fatality rate
12,469/60,800,000 is a fatality rate of .021% for H1H1.

The low end of the Coronavirus estimate is .5% or ~24x that of H1N1 (i.e. 304k on the same number of infections).

12,469/60,800,000 is a fatality rate of .021% for H1H1.

The low end of the Coronavirus estimate is .5% or ~24x that of H1N1 (i.e. 304k on the same number of infections).
"estimate" vs. reality so far.

one is speculation and the other is a fixed number.

"China is the origin of the virus and still accounts for over 80 percent of cases and deaths. But its cases peaked and began ­declining more than a month ago, according to data presented by the Canadian epidemiologist who spearheaded the World Health Organization’s coronavirus mission to China. Fewer than 200 new cases are reported daily, down from a peak of 4,000.

Subsequent countries will follow this same pattern, in what’s called Farr’s Law. First formulated in 1840 and ignored in ­every epidemic hysteria since ( :lmao: ), the law states that epidemics tend to rise and fall in a roughly symmetrical pattern or bell-shaped curve. AIDS, SARS, Ebola — they all followed that pattern. So does seasonal flu each year."

might as well tell you this now, but already there have  been THOUSANDS if not Tens of THOUSANDS of infections in the US of this virus.   All of them unreported/unrecorded because they weren't tested for and weren't self reported.   
Seems possible.  Heard on the Daily NYTimes pod this morning that the US has tested ~6,000 people total thus far and South Korea has been testing ~10,000 PER DAY of late.  Just seems odd/irresponsible that testing isn't being done on a much larger scale in the US.

Seems possible.  Heard on the Daily NYTimes pod this morning that the US has tested ~6,000 people total thus far and South Korea has been testing ~10,000 PER DAY of late.  Just seems odd/irresponsible that testing isn't being done on a much larger scale in the US.
we didn't get the tests delivered until this weekend, or so i heard on the news driving in today.   apparently the first round of tests were invalid/contaminated.  Who knows, but in reality 

if there's 500+ confirmed cases in this country the odds are there's probably ten or twenty times that already

we didn't get the tests delivered until this weekend, or so i heard on the news driving in today.   apparently the first round of tests were invalid/contaminated.  Who knows, but in reality 

if there's 500+ confirmed cases in this country the odds are there's probably ten or twenty times that already
Not to mention those people who might have mild symptoms, and wouldn't think to get tested, but they remain carriers.

I was just at the Dr. for a check up and the nurse asked me if I had been out of the country recently.  That was a first.  I asked if everyone was freaking out about the new virus and she said, "Oh, yeah." and kind of chuckled.  I told her that I'm not concerned about it and she said she wasn't either.  I haven't seen anyone from the medical profession act as if it's a big deal.  Taking careful precautions is good but some people need to relax a bit.

Fair enough.  I don't get the logic of cutting the current estimate by like 98%, but you're right that it is an estimate and we don't know how things will play out.
i always think back to Desert Storm 1 now whenever i hear estimated figures for something like this.

when that kicked off i was 14, coming up on 15. all the news was about how this was going to be a slaughter. military officials suggested that in the initial  invasion wave alone there would be 100k+ casualties. we're likely looking at chemical (and possibly nuclear) weapons attacks. the war would surely draw many other middle eastern countries in, we're almost certainly headed for WW3.  

the buzz was if you were within draftable age range, you could expect to get drafted to fight a potentially never-ending war that would definitely dwarf WWII.

pants were pooped.

it was no joke to say that kids in my HS thought we were all going to get drafted and wondering if we came home what would be left of the landscape, if anything?

then the initial bombings started, the invasion was underway and the casualty estimates rapidly shrank as actual reports and live data poured in.  we went from prepping for a nuke in Chicago, to feeling pity for Iraqi's in about 48 hours.

obviously an accelerated curve by comparison, but it has stuck in my mind all these years.  1990 was the dawn of CNN and the 24/7 news cycle. reporting was done based on live look-in's & rumors that got pressed to air before being verified. TV media learned a lot of lessons from that coverage... but now that we're live on the internet, and obviously still have 24/7 news reporting, the pace of that reporting is breakneck as everyone rushes to be first regardless of accuracy.

"estimate" vs. reality so far.

one is speculation and the other is a fixed number.
I said this early in the other thread—but I feel like it’s worth bringing up again.  In any other outbreak—did China (a world superpower, and a country that put it’s economy ahead f everything) proactively and effectively shut themselves down for over a month?   Do you think that it was just a hoax and an over-reaction that a country that always puts economics ahead of humanitarianism just randomly went to those lengths—or do you think that maybe it was really bad there?   I choose to believe that things were really bad there and the numbers they released are utter garbage.   The only way they got a handle on the situation is by instituting quarantines in major areas through authoritarianism that we could probably best describe as Marshall Law here in the states. 

Italy is now instituting some of the same measures—do you think they are just buckling down to fear—or do you think things are actually bad over there?   I’m not saying that this thing is a zombie apocalypse or anything close to that—-but I think that at this point—its just intellectually dishonest to be dismissive of this virus.   It’s already proven to be far more spreadable than the others,  it’s already most likely killed tens of thousands of people (the reported numbers are a joke—as many casualties were buried before they were even tested for it), and economically—it has already far surpassed any of the ones in recent history in regards to supply chain issues, global markets, and the impact it will have on tourism.   I get that you are perhaps not as worried as others about it—but I do think it’s already far more serious than you are giving it credit for.    

Really—Joe should have never put the description under the worry level 1 on his poll—as by the time he put it up—the virus was already over a month old  and had already proven that it wasn’t going to go away in a “few days”.   It’s an invalid option based solely on his own parameters.  

Really—Joe should have never put the description under the worry level 1 on his poll—as by the time he put it up—the virus was already over a month old  and had already proven that it wasn’t going to go away in a “few days”.   It’s an invalid option based solely on his own parameters.  
Not sure what you mean. I put the ends of the spectrum as essentially nothing on one end and WW3 on the other end. Those aren't my "own" parameters. Those are the ends of the spectrum for how serious people think this is. 

Not sure what you mean. I put the ends of the spectrum as essentially nothing on one end and WW3 on the other end. Those aren't my "own" parameters. Those are the ends of the spectrum for how serious people think this is. 
You described the low end of the spectrum as “not serious at all. Barely a blip that’ll be gone in a few days”.   This was after the virus had already killed many people in China, was over a month old, and the economic ramifications were already starting to get felt.   Your description of the low end of the spectrum really was invalid—and yet people still voted for it—which is exactly what I didn’t understand. Based on your description of “1”—literally nobody should have voted less than a 2 or 3.  Thats my only point. 

You described the low end of the spectrum as “not serious at all. Barely a blip that’ll be gone in a few days”.   This was after the virus had already killed many people in China, was over a month old, and the economic ramifications were already starting to get felt.   Your description of the low end of the spectrum really was invalid—and yet people still voted for it—which is exactly what I didn’t understand. Based on your description of “1”—literally nobody should have voted less than a 2 or 3.  Thats my only point. 
That's the entire point of a poll. I'm asking people what they think. Not what I think. 

I don't think it's WW3, either. But some people do. So I put it there.

I'm actually doing the opposite of what you're accusing me of when you say it's invalid because I use my "own parameters". 

https://www.wearegreenbay.com/community/health/coronavirus/over-70-of-those-sickened-by-coronavirus-in-china-have-recovered-says-who/

(AP) – Officials at the World Health Organization said Monday that of about 80,000 people who have been sickened by COVID-19 in China, more than 70% have recovered and been discharged from hospitals.

Patients are typically released when they test negative twice for the virus within 24 hours, meaning they’re no longer carrying the virus, although some countries may be using a slightly different definition, which may include when people have no more respiratory symptoms or a clear CT scan.

The World Health Organization said it could take considerably longer for people to be “recovered,” depending on the severity of the disease.

Dr. Mike Ryan, the World Health Organization’s emergencies chief, said it can take up to six weeks for people to fully recover from COVID-19 infections, which could include pneumonia and other respiratory problems in serious cases. He said the numbers of reported patients have not always been systematically provided to World Health Organization although the U.N. health agency is asking every country with cases for further information.

have we talked about these "clusters" of covid-19 in specific communities & the possibility that they are tied to anti-vaxxers?

That's the entire point of a poll. I'm asking people what they think. Not what I think. 

I don't think it's WW3, either. But some people do. So I put it there.

I'm actually doing the opposite of what you're accusing me of when you say it's invalid because I use my "own parameters". 
I totally get that you are asking what others think—but giving them options that we are well beyond effectively invalidates your own poll in my opinion.  The “1” option should have read something like “serious enough to where lots of people have died, China has shut itself down for a month—but I don’t see it getting much worse than that”.   My point is that your description of “1” implies a nothing-burger—when it’s already well beyond that.   Based on the parameters of your poll—even standard flu season should register a 2-3–as that kills lots of people, has economic impacts, and effects our lives and lasts longer than just a few days.  Anyhow—that’s just my 2 cents.   

I totally get that you are asking what others think—but giving them options that we are well beyond effectively invalidates your own poll in my opinion.  The “1” option should have read something like “serious enough to where lots of people have died, China has shut itself down for a month—but I don’t see it getting much worse than that”.   My point is that your description of “1” implies a nothing-burger—when it’s already well beyond that.   Based on the parameters of your poll—even standard flu season should register a 2-3–as that kills lots of people, has economic impacts, and effects our lives and lasts longer than just a few days.  Anyhow—that’s just my 2 cents.   
Thanks. We'll just disagree there. When I ask people a question trying to get their opinion, I try to be as open as possible and not lead them. Thanks for the feedback though as it's always good to hear other opinions. 

I was just at the Dr. for a check up and the nurse asked me if I had been out of the country recently.  That was a first.  I asked if everyone was freaking out about the new virus and she said, "Oh, yeah." and kind of chuckled.  I told her that I'm not concerned about it and she said she wasn't either.  I haven't seen anyone from the medical profession act as if it's a big deal.  Taking careful precautions is good but some people need to relax a bit.
I'm going to take a wild guess that you live somewhere that hasn't yet been directly affected. I bet if you lived in, say, Washington state, her reaction wouldn't have nearly as aloof.

Users who are viewing this thread