What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could be relocating to Tampa (1 Viewer)

BGP

Indians Fever
I grew up in Cleveland, and have only been a Browns fan. I've lived my whole life in Cleveland. But, there is a good chance I may get a job offer in the Tampa area. If I move, it would be next month. The most important thing is, of course, the football aspect of it. :yes: Do I stay a Browns fan? Do I get a grace period of 1/2/3 seasons as a transplant before making a decision? Do I become a Buccaneer fan right away? Do I root for both? What is the proper way of going about this? Thanks!

what does where you live have to do with rooting for your favorite team?i'm a raiders, dodgers, and lakers fan no matter where i live. i'm not going to switch allegiances every time i have to move for work.franchise > players, coaches, owners, city

Hell no. God knows the Tampa area is clogged with enough bandwagon fans as it is.I don't care where I live...Bucs/Rays/Lightning/Magic, no questions asked. I couldn't even imagine pulling for another team just because I moved.

I grew up in Cleveland, and have only been a Browns fan. I've lived my whole life in Cleveland. But, there is a good chance I may get a job offer in the Tampa area. If I move, it would be next month. The most important thing is, of course, the football aspect of it. :yes: Do I stay a Browns fan? Do I get a grace period of 1/2/3 seasons as a transplant before making a decision? Do I become a Buccaneer fan right away? Do I root for both? What is the proper way of going about this? Thanks!
Job offer? Dude, if your av pic is you, then you look like you should still be in school with Dawson and the gang. ;) Btw, don't change teams. Nobody likes a bandwagon fan.Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I root for the teams from my city. Civic pride. That's how it works. I don't root for Ohio State because, to me, they are Columbus. I don't have a college football team. Living and working in one city and rooting for another team's city is kinda lame and annoying. The Steeler fans in this town should either become Browns fans or get a job in Pittsburgh.

Holy Crap, the fact that you even are thinking about it is a disgrace. :thumbdown: Remind me of this thread if you start crowing about the Clowns this year. :thumbdown:

I root for the teams from my city. Civic pride. That's how it works. I don't root for Ohio State because, to me, they are Columbus. I don't have a college football team.
Then you just answered your question. Sounds like you grew up with the Brownies...stick with them.Won't it be better when they finally win a Super Bowl (assuming that happens someday, lol). Rooting for the Bucs would be pointless...you weren't around for the tough times, so you'd be just jumping on the wagon, regardless if you were doing it because you're job moved you or not. In other words, seeing them win would not be as satisfying as seeing the Browns win.Besides, I know there are a few Browns fan clubs in town...just find one and you'll have a group to watch the games with.

I root for the teams from my city. Civic pride. That's how it works. I don't root for Ohio State because, to me, they are Columbus. I don't have a college football team. Living and working in one city and rooting for another team's city is kinda lame and annoying. The Steeler fans in this town should either become Browns fans or get a job in Pittsburgh.
Whats lame and annoying is that you would consider dumping the team you grew up watching just because you moved.You obviously arent a true fan since you are so ready to jump ship.Stick with your Browns. In TB you will only be considered a bandwagon fan, no matter if you wait 3, 5, 10 years. (well, maybe not 10, but still).

From my personal experience, I can go to a local sports bar here and watch football games. Most everyone is pulling for the Browns, but you got an isolated table where some Steeler fans huddle around one TV and watch their team. The rest of the crowd gets excited about a big play and you can't join in. There's one guy in town here that hangs a Steeler flag in his lawn. On Cleveland soil? Are you kidding me? You can't meet random people and talk about your Browns because your in Tampa. Where's the fun in that? Its like you become isolated. Its stops being a social event. That's what bothers me the most. Its about the city.

There's one guy in town here that hangs a Steeler flag in his lawn. On Cleveland soil? Are you kidding me?
GB him. It's called loyalty to your team. :thumbup:
You can't meet random people and talk about your Browns because your in Tampa. Where's the fun in that? Its like you become isolated. Its stops being a social event. That's what bothers me the most. Its about the city.
I've been in Atlanta for 8 years and I've met hundreds of Steeler fans here. Throw on a Browns Jersey (you know...one with the name of one of your stars....Um....You know....that guy? help me out here? Excluding the fact that all the Clowns suck I'm sure you have one that you like -- get his jersey.) and you'll get lots of people who will strike up conversation.Before I got DTV's Sunday Ticket I used to go to a Steeler bar right up the street that would be Standing Room only by kickoff time on sunday...probably 250 Steeler fans in there, and there are at least three other Steeler bars in this city I have not been to. Capella already said there's a Browns bar -- You'll meet some other Cleveland idiots there. :boxing:

Ok, I can understand rooting for the Steelers after a move to Atlanta. But to move to CLEVELAND, root for the Yellow Streaks, and then plant their FLAG here? I mean, c'mon. You've already surrendered to the enemy's superiority by moving to Cleveland. Rooting for them now only makes you look foolish.

Never change your team allegaince... I could never think about rooting agianst the Broncos/Cornhuskers/Red Sox/Avalanche and it doesn't matter where I move....

Ok, I can understand rooting for the Steelers after a move to Atlanta.
Then why wouldn't you pull for the Browns if you moved toTampa? Is there some TB/CLE rivalry I have missed?
You've already surrendered to the enemy's superiority by moving to Cleveland
I can assure you that if, god forbid, I had to move to Cle. that I would probably have twice as much Steeler stuff as I do now. Flags, license plate frames, jersies, hats, etc. Maybe you would be surrendering, but I would call it going the enemy's frontlines to fight the battle. :football:

The very fact that you'd consider changing allegience merely because of a change of scenery shows you are not a true fan of your team, so go for it.1) TB is in the NFC, Browns, the AFC - WHY change teams? Root for TB, too if you want, because their interests will rarely conflict. The question is who do you pick in a matchup between the Browns and the Bucs? If you even have to think about it, burn all your Browns gear now.2) Living in a city and loving a team are unrelated - I have not lived in Miami for nearly 20 years, but I bleed aqua and orange when it comes to the NFL. I currently live in Denver, and I only cheer for the home team when their win helps my 'phins in some way. If I ever cheered for the Broncos, I'd be like Meg Ryan in the coffeeshop in When Harry Met Sally.Keep your team, cheer for players - I cheer for Portis, hate the Donkeys. I cheer for Vick, I hate the Falcons. I cheer for Tiki, hate the GIants - you get the point.Lastly, is there some specific reason this post is in the Shark Pool over the Free for All? Just curious, not trying to moderate.

BGP, I just recently moved to the Tampa area, but I couldn't think of not rooting for the Vikings. I never lived in Minnesota, but they have always been my team. Granted, I will probable root for the Bucs as my second or third favorite team, but when they play each other in a couple of years, there is no question who I will be rooting for. GO VIKINGS!!! I can't believe that you would even consider changing allegiences. :eek:

Why not root for both?You have two separate teams in two separate conferences. They only play each other once every four years unless they meet in the Super Bowl (now wouldn't that be sweet). 'sbetter to have two rooting interests than one.When I went to Milwaukee for college, I still followed the Bengals and Reds, but I also followed the Packers and Brewers as well. The Pack and Bengals hardly ever played each other (different conferences) and the Reds and the Brewers never played each other at the time (different leagues).Haven't been back to Milwaukee in almost 20 years, so my loyalty to the Wisconsin teams has diminished. But still, one of the darkest days of my life was when the Brewers moved from the American League East to the National League Central (same division as the Reds). :(

From my personal experience, I can go to a local sports bar here and watch football games. Most everyone is pulling for the Browns, but you got an isolated table where some Steeler fans huddle around one TV and watch their team. The rest of the crowd gets excited about a big play and you can't join in. There's one guy in town here that hangs a Steeler flag in his lawn. On Cleveland soil? Are you kidding me? You can't meet random people and talk about your Browns because your in Tampa. Where's the fun in that? Its like you become isolated. Its stops being a social event. That's what bothers me the most. Its about the city.
They have a Sports Bar down here that is full of Cleveland Homers on Sunday (in Tarpon Springs I think). The place is packed with Browns jerseys and drunks on Sunday. Just like home. And please don't be a bandwagon fan, you can root along, but don't forget where you're from. Take the job if it's offered, this place is like one big long vacation. Good luck.

BGP,I too am a Clevelander living in Orlando, I live approximately 2 1/2 hours from Jacksonville, Miami and Tampa. So I have learned to root for each of them except when they're playing against the Browns. I also appreciate your comments about rooting for your team and your feelings towards the Steelers, (even though I have Burress). I think it takes a true Browns fan to appreciate your dilemma.Anyway, there are Browns backer bars all over. Go to the Browns website, they have a listing of Browns backer clubs including here in Florida and you'll have no problem finding a bar completely devoted to the Browns. p.s. Go Buckeyes!! Rooting against the Buckeyes while being from Ohio is equvialant to rooting for the Steelers in Browns Stadium.

I believe the vast majority is correct - you should not change your favorite team just because of where you live. If you do, you probably weren't a big fan to begin with. There's no reason the Bucs can't be No. 2, though. You won't get the same satisfaction when the Bucs win, but it makes the local sports scene more enjoyable. When they play the Browns, pull for the Browns.

Is this a joke? Are you serious? Go look up loyalty in the dictionary and get back to us. Who cares where you live? Your team is your team regardless of where life takes you.My only thought is would this question be different if you were moving to a city that wasn't the defending superbowl champions??? Its easy to root for Tampa when they are on top. Would this be the case if you were getting transferred to Detroit or Dallas?If you were a Cleveland fan and got transferred you would do one thing - buy the NFL Sunday Ticket when you got to Tampa.

Its kind of the same thing as when people immigrate to America. When you immigrate, become an AMERICAN. Don't hyphenate yourself as an italian-american or polish-american. Don't wave your old nation's flag. I mean, what, are you "taking the war to the frontlines?" Did you move here to tell everyone america sucks? Join your new community.

If you're seriously trying to propose that as a valid analogy then just go be a TB fan, or watch soccer or take up crochet or something. I don't care. :wall:

I don't see why Tampa can't be your second favorite team, go ahead and root for them as your #2 team. For real, the Bucs are in the NFC, root for them in the NFC, why the hell not? I'm a 49er fan #1, I *kinda* like the Broncos, they are my #2 team. WTF is wrong with that? Anything, NO. Like you even said it's not like your moving to Pittsburgh, go ahead and enjoy the Bucs if you want, I see no problem with it, you are moving there. Nobody would have a probelm if you were moving to Arizona today and wanted to make the Cardinals your #2. :rotflmao:

From my personal experience, I can go to a local sports bar here and watch football games. Most everyone is pulling for the Browns, but you got an isolated table where some Steeler fans huddle around one TV and watch their team. The rest of the crowd gets excited about a big play and you can't join in. There's one guy in town here that hangs a Steeler flag in his lawn. On Cleveland soil? Are you kidding me?
Thats only because nobody ever moves to Cleveland. The only people who live there grew up as Browns fans. You'll find it very different in a warm-weather city where there's lots of people who moved from other areas all rooting for their home teams. I guarantee that if you go to a sports bar in Tampa while the Browns game is on, you'll meet other Browns fans there.

Sorry, but even if you wanted to become a Tampa Bay fan you won't be allowed to. You see, all it takes is for someone to ask you when you became a TB fan and you say 2003 then they will say "bandwagon fan!" you can NEVER become a fan of a team the year after they win it all (this goes for any sports). Now, if TB was still the doormats of the NFL (as growing up they were) then there is an allowance for you to switch to the other side. Here are a couple of rules that a true fan must adhere to:1. Root for team where you grew up during your childhood.2. Root for a team where you were born (but had to move away as a child)3. As an adult and you know the new town isn't a stop gap to another town, you can change teams if: a. You never rooted for a specific team before (say you came from a town w/o a team) b. This new team isn't coming off a Super Bowl win or appearance the year before (TB/OAK)4. The team you root for moves to another city, you can still root for them OR root for another team. If that city gets a new team (Houston/Cleveland) then you pull for them.5. If you never been to the city where the team you root for you should be shot6. If you change to a bitter rival and root for them, you should be shot (Clev now Pitt)These are just a few. You wouldn't be surprised how many bandwagon fans there are.

Depending on where you live, in any big city there is going to be a substantial quantity of transplants who still follow the team. (I imagine this is more true of Rust Belt teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh than most others, but that's just a guess.) Having lived in Columbus and now in eastern WV, there are places where I could gather with fellow Steeler fans to watch the game. I take a lot of abuse here rooting for the Indians, Steelers, Penguins, and Penn State, but hey, it goes with the territory...especially now that the Tribe is taking it on the chin. :bag: To even consider switching teams is heresy in my book, but since you're a Browns fan I can see why you'd want to switch teams. :boxing: :P :rotflmao:

Well let me put it to you this way. I have lived on the West Coast of Florida my whole life (in Tampa now). If I ever moved to Cleveland (no offense, but I would rather drive a spike through my foot)...do you think that I would just blow off the 20+ years of pain that I went through watching this team to start rooting for the Browns? Get real!Does that mean that I would ignore the Browns altogether? No, of course not...but they would never have the same place in my heart. That would be like me going to school at Florida and start rooting for the Gates.The real test for you will be if you can learn to embrace the Devil Rays (cause they flat out suck). :yucky:

I can't believe this thread is getting so much play......You may like football, but you are not a fan of a team....The fact that you are even asking this question means you are not a true Browns fan....never have been, never will beYou get on a message board to ask others what team you should be a fan of....that is pathetic and an insult to real fans of teamsThe fact that you are even asking this question leads me to believe it would be hard for you to ever be a true fan of any football team...when you are a fan of a football team, you do not ask questions like this or have internal battles with yourself about what to do....You are the classic case of a bandwagon jumper...the guy that goes out and buys the hat of the team that wins the SB, WS, Stanley Cup, and NBA final every year....when you are a true fan of a team you don't root for other teams just because you move...when you move to Tampa you SHOULD like the Bucs no more or no less than you do right now....and the Browns no more or no less...but if WE need to tell YOU that its not going to matter anyway....go buy another hat....

I "immigrated from Boston" to the NYC area and I've lived here for the past 14 years & have taken more guff for rooting for my Red Sox amongst a miriad of Yankee fans, did I ever consider changing my tune even for a split second and root for the I.R.S. (I mean the bankee$)? Hell No.

The fact that you are even asking this question means you are not a true Browns fan....never have been, never will be
No kidding. The only thing I've ever enjoyed about Cleveland and the Browns is their loyal fan base. Apparently that disappeared with Modell too.

I've got a few thoughts on this subject:1) I grew up in Wisconsin and was raised a Packers/Bucks/Brewers/Badgers fan. I knew nothing else except also the Raiders (my dad's best friend was a HUGE HUGE Raiders fan .... so when I got jr. high age I decided I could take in an AFC team ... Bo Jackson was THE MAN!)2) I have lived in Colorado the last 6 years, I'm still a Packers/Bucks/Brewers/Badgers fan .... and still a Raiders fan, eventhough I've been soured by Al's STREAM of neverending lawsuits.3) I have not become a Broncos/Avs/Nuggets/Rockies/CU/CSU/Colorado College/Denver U. fan ... but I have warmed up to many of these teams. Now that Elway and Romo are gone from the Donkeys ... I can TOLERATE them. Avs and Nuggets have made some GREAT moves and brought in players that I like (Steve Reinprecht rocks the free world!). Going to a Rox game is always fun (AWESOME stadium). I've gotten to know the coaches at CU (I coach high school football and the CU coaching staff lets Colorado HS coaches sit in on staff meetings/hang around practice and get into games from just $3 a seat .... sweet deal. GREAT bunch of guys, love going up there and bouncing idea's off of them.) But I will probably never be serious fans of these teams. Too much loyalty, to my childhood loves.4) I work for an organization that moved here from SoCal about 10 years ago and I've seen firsthand the pathetic nature of bandwagon jumpers. Dodger fans who became Rox fans. Guys that are now "die-hard Broncos fans" .... PUH-LEES! I stick with the Brewers because I want to remember how much losing stings, so victory will taste even sweeter.I respect people that stick with their teams. I REALLY respect people that stick with their losing teams (except for Cubs fans).

i moved to atlanta from ne ohio 17 years ago, and still love the browns. i really question just how much of a fan you are to even think this. yes, i like, and support the falcons, but the browns will always be #1. i've gone through the mike phipps era(made ryan leaf look all pro!) the drive, the fumble, modell(why is he still alive, another heart attack would be nice), and expansion. the falcons have at least been to a superbowl, and i still like the browns better.*sidenote: the only freakin world series the braves won, would be against the tribe :hot:

I think you are an insult to Browns Fans everywhere. I am a Lions fan and I will cheer for them until the day I die. A friend of mine feels the same way. He was relocated to Minnesota and lived there for 20 years still cheering for the Honolulu Blue and Silver during 20 of the Lions worst years. He endured all the jokes and the criticism but he still is a Lions fan. Now he's back in Detroit, he still hates the Vikings, and he can never say there was one time where he wasn't a Lions fan. I've know Browns fans in Detroit who feel the same way. Actually, my dad is the same way with Ohio State. He grew up in Columbus and may be there only fan in Michigan. He still refers to the Wolverines as "the team from Ann Arbor." Finally he gets to gloat a little bit since they are national champs. But he never stopped cheering for them year after year, when they lost to the Wolverines with Cooper in charge. Stick with the Browns and don't be a pansy.

I really can't blame you for trying to come up with a reason to not have to root for the Browns. :P Seriously, stick with the Browns. I can't believe that you'd even ask that question. I couldn't stomach rooting for anyone but the Black and Gold, no matter where I'd ever move to.

To BGP's defense, he's looking at possbly moving to Tampa, probably will be leaving behind friends and family and his home town sports teams. When I moved down here I was a little bummed because #1 Orlando doesn't even have football team, #2 this was before direct TV so no I didn't get to watch the Browns every weekend. #3 it's not as easy to root for a team you have no real interest in.I think Fantasy Football has fill a huge void, because now I can root for and against almost any team. Obviously I want the Browns to win as many games as possible, but if my opponent has W. Green or T. Slouch, I'm rooting for a fumble recovery picked up and ran into the end zone by a lineman. ;) BGP needs to realize that he can still enjoy football and the Browns living in Tampa. Coming from Cleveland there is nothing like watching the games pool side in November. Of course now that I climatized, it's from the hot tub. :thumbup:

Why do you feel the need to change when the teams are in seperate conferences? I live in Albuquerque, NM and I'm a die hard San Fran fan. If I moved anywhere else I'd still be a Niner at heart. I might follow the local team a little more closely in the interest of being social with others, but when it's game day I'd be pulling for the red and gold just like always. I'm a Bulls fan as well, and yeah, these past few years have sucked, but it'll make it so much sweeter when the finally get back to the top knowing that I cheered for them in the good times and the bad. My college team is the New Mexico Lobos, and the basketball program has gone south recently. I still root for them same as before. Trust me, it feels pretty good to be a stalwart fan who never switched allegiances during the bad times, when the good times come. UNM's football team is finally starting to come into it's own and I can say, through good or bad, I've definetley enjoyed the ride to get here. So stick with the Browns, no reason you can't follow the Bucs too.

BGP is catching a lot of grief about moving and changing teams. I remember catching grief for living in Michigan and NOT being a Lions fan. The comments ranged from (not exact quotations): You should support your home team... You can't be a true fan if you are not from that area... You are a traitor to your state's team.... This thread is the exact opposite. Fans choose allegiances for many reasons. IMO pick a team and be loyal. If you change teams, do it with your heart, not your car. If you move and embrace a team team, that's your choice, regardless of what others think. Changing teams is your choice, but do it for the 'right' reasons. And do it with your heart!

Its kind of the same thing as when people immigrate to America. When you immigrate, become an AMERICAN. Don't hyphenate yourself as an italian-american or polish-american. Don't wave your old nation's flag. I mean, what, are you "taking the war to the frontlines?" Did you move here to tell everyone america sucks? Join your new community.
Worst analogy - EVER.:Inbestcomic-bookguyvoice:Seriously, you've answered your own question - if every immigrant immediately became "American" we'd all be eating nothing but baloney on white bread with mayonnaise (OK, actually, we'd be eating a lot of corn and buffalo meat). You are NOT abrown's fan - you are a Cleveland fan. And, when you move to Tampa Bay, you will be a Tampa Bay fan.Listen, the fact you are defending a decision based on "going into enemy territor, or moving to a new town" tells me that you have a problem taking a stand. I will jump up in the middle of Foxboro screaming when my phins score a TD there (and I have) and I will have no problem if I'm the only one doing it. They're my team regardless of where I am. You are obviously willing to ditch your team based on a new locality. Oh well, enjoy your new team.I may follow and discuss the Broncos with Donkey fans till I'm blue in the face if that's what they want to do, but I don't need someone holding my hand when my team scores to make me feel good that they did it. I cheer just as loud and feel just as good.

In Pittsburgh, we bleed Black & Gold. Doesn't matter where we are at, we always root for the Steelers!!! It could be in Oakland, Tampa or in Warren Sapp's living room and we are going to root for the Steelers. Steelers fans have balls, that's why the guy has planted his flag in Cleveland Clowns territory!!! No one would ever root for the browns on purpose, especially not a Steelers fan!!!Seriously, if you are a true Browns fan, then stay a browns fan. You could also root for the home team but I say stay with your roots.

Hell no. God knows the Tampa area is clogged with enough bandwagon fans as it is.I don't care where I live...Bucs/Rays/Lightning/Magic, no questions asked. I couldn't even imagine pulling for another team just because I moved.
This is stupid.You should always root for the Browns, but it is good to support the local team as well. I think Cap is more pissed at people who lived in Tampa their whole lives and then started liking the Bucs only when they got good. The fact that the Bucs are in the NFC and the Browns are in the AFC should make this easy for you.I may be moving to Chicago or Detroit, and I will buy season tickets and root for them, even though I grew up in Tampa and am a die hard Bucs fan. I will ALWAYS like the Bucs more than any other team, but that doesn't mean I should hate the Bears or the Lions. I would encourage my children to be fans of the local team ahead of the Bucs though, given my above scenario, although I would hope they'd choose the Bucs anyway.

I wonder if you would be asking the same question if you were moving to Phoenix?
ain't that the truth.OK, I grew up outside of Toledo, Ohio, about 2 hours from Cleveland.

my dad and uncle#1 are both Browns fans.

my uncle#2 and myself have been Steelers fans for @25 years. (since I was 7)

my dad has moved to nearly every state in the union, he's still a Browns fan.

I live in Florida and have been for @16 years and will always be a Steelers fan first and foremost.

after that I root for the Dolphins, then the Bucs, and then the Jaguars, in that order.

one of my best friends grew up in Cleveland and now lives in Tampa, he would never think of rooting for another team in front of his Browns.

It's about loyalty vs. fitting into the crowd.

if you're even asking this question you're just a badwagon guy anyway, and not a true fan, so does it really matter?

so jump on.

Users who are viewing this thread