What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could Russian/Chinese hackers shut down our power grid? (1 Viewer)

Where are other hackers at with our grid?

• Fully infiltrated - Could shut down now

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Well infiltrated - Control of some key systems - could badly disrupt, or take full control within ye

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Semi infiltrated - Are making headway - could disrupt - a long way off from full takedown

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Not infiltrated - Have little or no access to our grid and likely won’t anytime soon

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters
The farmers I know around here have guns, lots of them, and many of them illegal.  And they all know each other.  By the time city dwellers make their way to the outskirts they will be facing a lot more than "one farmer."  More like a small, heavily armed military.
Yeah, I agree. I have a cousin that I see a couple times a year. We were in a car for a few hours going over hypotheticals about this kind of stuff. He and his neighbors are all prepared. And I mean insanely prepared. It will likely never be one on a mob, more like a mob against a small group of heavily armed, highly capable (see, been hunting since they were 5) group of people who will not be road weary or hungry or thirsty but just as determined to remain that way. 

But the light the fire question, begs another. Who knows how to make food out of wheat? I know how in theory, but have never done it. The vast majority of our society can't live without a working microwave or stove. We've lost all knowledge of so much of that. 

Yeah, I agree. I have a cousin that I see a couple times a year. We were in a car for a few hours going over hypotheticals about this kind of stuff. He and his neighbors are all prepared. And I mean insanely prepared. It will likely never be one on a mob, more like a mob against a small group of heavily armed, highly capable (see, been hunting since they were 5) group of people who will not be road weary or hungry or thirsty but just as determined to remain that way. 

But the light the fire question, begs another. Who knows how to make food out of wheat? I know how in theory, but have never done it. The vast majority of our society can't live without a working microwave or stove. We've lost all knowledge of so much of that. 
Alright, I'll concede the farmers will put up a fight but I look at a city like Charlotte (using what I know) and the amount of people that would be exiting that area then factor in gangs which are in every city and exploit people for a living and are armed and I just don't think even a conglomerate of farms will hang. The gangs have the numbers and last I looked, I don't recall too many fortified farms around here. Farms are also, kind of intentionally, far apart from one another making it difficult to defend but I don't want to :deadhorse: . Lets say the farmers hold out, negotiate a peace treaty, whatever. How does everyone get what they have? And to @TheFanatic's point, how many of you have access to a grist meal that will crush up the corn/wheat into something usable? Oh that's right, they don't exist at the local level anymore. Nevermind

Is this practice for larger grids?
Funny, that was my first thought and why I posted it here.

TheFanatic said:
Yes we are. Our power grid is protected by the private companies that supply power for money. Those companies are regulated by the NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation), to make sure they are secure. The problem is NERC is comprised of members of those companies. In other words those that are in charge of making money are in charge of regulating how secure those companies are, and thus the members or NERC are more worried about making money than being secure, not to mention that it's hard to get everyone to comply. Bigger companies have the means for better security, but not the smaller ones. And catastrophic failures can happen due to breaches to those little companies that snowball through the grid to the bigger ones. 

Also, according to the research Ted Koppel has done in his book Lights Out, he believes that the Russians and Chinese have had the ability to shut us down for a few years now but haven't done so due to the fact that their economies depend on ours too much. The real fear is that if the Chinese and Russians can do it, eventually either a rogue state like N. Korea could do it or a terrorist organization. He said that those two things aren't that far off and where we should really be concerned because N. Korea or Terrorist groups don't have any stake in our economy.

On top of that, this country's plans to react to such an event are laughable. The head of Home Land Security at the time told Koppel that should such an unlikely event occur, they would simply evacuate NYC. The former head of Home Land said not only is that not the plan (that there was no plan), and that evacuating NYC was physically not possible. Not before the water runs out in a couple of days and food runs out in a week. 
Have a 6 month supply of canned beef and enough propane canning supplies to can what's left from freezer.  And probably help a couple neighbors.  Full swimming pool of water where i could adjust water to flow in to it from the gutters..  low on ammo.  Though.    Also plan on breeding guinea pigs and eating them until a better meat source comes along.

Last edited by a moderator:
beer 30 said:
Alright, I'll concede the farmers will put up a fight but I look at a city like Charlotte (using what I know) and the amount of people that would be exiting that area then factor in gangs which are in every city and exploit people for a living and are armed and I just don't think even a conglomerate of farms will hang. The gangs have the numbers and last I looked, I don't recall too many fortified farms around here. Farms are also, kind of intentionally, far apart from one another making it difficult to defend but I don't want to :deadhorse: . Lets say the farmers hold out, negotiate a peace treaty, whatever. How does everyone get what they have? And to @TheFanatic's point, how many of you have access to a grist meal that will crush up the corn/wheat into something usable? Oh that's right, they don't exist at the local level anymore. Nevermind

Funny, that was my first thought and why I posted it here.
You can skin pine trees dry them and ground them into flour.  I need to try this and see how it tastes.  On alone I believe one guy tried eating bark and it didn't go well though.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheFanatic said:

Can't you just add some salt and some yeast and oil and eggs from chickens that you would have to barter for to make bread?

beer 30 said:
Yea I forgot about about that cool fact. Think about this, how many people know how to make a fire these days? I mean without a lighter or matches. Why do I ask? Well if you want to drink anything, you're going to need to boil it and let your mind wander from there...  I live next to the Catawba river in SC. Recently there has been a lot of rain causing some major flooding. They mentioned this weekend that because of the flooding, 100,000 gallons of raw sewage got dumped into the Catawba. The same river 100's of people were tubing/kayaking/canoeing/skiing on this weekend. Now image that's your water supply and there are no waste water treatment plants to clean it, yummy eh?

Big cities go anarchy first, people that live remote will be the best off but at some point whatever eventually leaves the big cities will be coming their way looking for "stuff". One farmer against a mob doesn't stand a chance.
My uncle is a farmer he has enough automatic weapons to supply a small army.

TripItUp said:
I’m actually a partner at a cybersecurity consulting firm.  What would you like to know?
So coverting a 40 ft storage container into a faraday cage wouldn't work against solar flares and emps.  So why do they sell faraday cages if they don't work?  Tia!  Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge!

Have a 6 month supply of canned beef and enough propane canning supplies to can what's left from freezer.  And probably help a couple neighbors.  Full swimming pool of water where i could adjust water to flow in to it from the gutters..  low on ammo.  Though.    Also plan on breeding guinea pigs and eating them until a better meat source comes along.

You can skin pine trees dry them and ground them into flour.  I need to try this and see how it tastes.  On alone I believe one guy tried eating bark and it didn't go well though.

My uncle is a farmer he has enough automatic weapons to supply a small army.
So you come off as what we would probably consider a prepper. No offense intended by that, I'd like to be much more prepared than I am so I'm a bit jealous. My point is how many of you are there? I'd venture to say less than 20% of the population is in a position to weather a storm like this. Maybe not even, I have no idea but it's a small number which means that 70-80% of the population is going to suffer pretty bad very quickly. Most folks don't have skills to live off the land anymore and Youtube will be a thing of the past. Hell most people don't go o the library or read books anymore. There are 859,000 people that live in Charlotte proper and you could easily take the number over a million if you include the burbs. So maybe 200,000 of those make it (which seems like an astronomically high number to me).

I don't know, I just think people are so dependent on the grid & all that comes with it these days that it would turn into anarchy overnight if word got out that the internet won't be back up...ever. Maybe my faith in humanity is too low but people can't get along now when we have everything we've ever dreamed of (except flying ####### cars :rant: ) I just don't see how we do it if you take away everything we've ever known, instantly. My :2cents:

So you come off as what we would probably consider a prepper. No offense intended by that, I'd like to be much more prepared than I am so I'm a bit jealous. My point is how many of you are there? I'd venture to say less than 20% of the population is in a position to weather a storm like this. Maybe not even, I have no idea but it's a small number which means that 70-80% of the population is going to suffer pretty bad very quickly. Most folks don't have skills to live off the land anymore and Youtube will be a thing of the past. Hell most people don't go o the library or read books anymore. There are 859,000 people that live in Charlotte proper and you could easily take the number over a million if you include the burbs. So maybe 200,000 of those make it (which seems like an astronomically high number to me).

I don't know, I just think people are so dependent on the grid & all that comes with it these days that it would turn into anarchy overnight if word got out that the internet won't be back up...ever. Maybe my faith in humanity is too low but people can't get along now when we have everything we've ever dreamed of (except flying ####### cars :rant: ) I just don't see how we do it if you take away everything we've ever known, instantly. My :2cents:
I probably wouldn't be a prepper but I worked in a er that remodeled so i got all the cabinets for free so i'm well stocked up with food.  That will keep.

Did you see the first episode this season where the dude bulls-eyed that squirrel through both eyes with an arrow?

I capped him at 40-1 to even hit it, considering placement it was a one in a million shot.

Nothing wrong with being over prepared, I just find it odd that many are convinced we go from zero to 100 % societal breakup and lawlessness in no time when there are essentially no examples of this happening in times of duress and disasters in modern times. 

You're correct about the high percentage of death and carnage within the first few weeks, particularly in the big cities.  That's why farmers have a huge advantage: (1) They are already prepared, and will have at least a few days to really prepare (2) they can defend themselves (sorry a gang member with a AK stands zero chance against a farmer with a rifle who's been hunting in the woods his whole life) (3) they have extra ammo and guns to supply their quickly growing army (4) they have infinite food and water supply to feed their small army, (5) they know each other and can quickly band together, and (6) they've been waiting to Make America great again for a few generations...  they'd likely support this reduction of the weak and (internet) needy.

Can't you just add some salt and some yeast and oil and eggs from chickens that you would have to barter for to make bread?
It's the removing the chaff from the kernels and then grinding into flower that sounds easy, but how do you do those two things in large enough quantities to feed more than a person or two?

I think 20% is a very optimistic number. We now have more people living in urban areas than rural. I would guess that more than 95% of them are gone if not 99%. The only way we can live in a society where more people live in urban areas than rural is that we have to truck in all the resources they need, and that has to happen constantly. If the SHTF, and you live in an urban area, make sure you're one of the first out of dodge, because if you are on the back half of that exodus, you're screwed. The front half will clear out what is in front of you like locusts clearing a field. 

I think 20% is a very optimistic number. We now have more people living in urban areas than rural. I would guess that more than 95% of them are gone if not 99%. The only way we can live in a society where more people live in urban areas than rural is that we have to truck in all the resources they need, and that has to happen constantly. If the SHTF, and you live in an urban area, make sure you're one of the first out of dodge, because if you are on the back half of that exodus, you're screwed. The front half will clear out what is in front of you like locusts clearing a field. 
I'm with you and think the number is way under 20% but I was being conservative for the sake of conversation. There seems to be some folks visiting this thread that are much more optimistic about survival than I am.

I hear what you guys are saying about farmers being prepared for the end of the world, I just don't see it. One farmer playing sniper or 20 farmers doesn't matter against a mob 100. (The mob will be a lot larger than that but again, I'm being conservative). And while they are protecting one farm, the locusts will simply go to another. Again, farms are kinda intentionally far apart. Unless they've dug a secret tunnel system we don't know about I don't know how you defend all of them..

Hope I'm wrong. Live 3 miles from a nuclear power plant so my hope is it goes up quick and I don't have to worry about any of this nonsense :thumbup:

somewhere between 2 and 3.  

We need decentralized , redundant power grids.    There's been a lot of progress with localized grids -- But there's still a LONG way to go.   Renewables and building (or small area) level battery storage will really help on this front.

It's the removing the chaff from the kernels and then grinding into flower that sounds easy, but how do you do those two things in large enough quantities to feed more than a person or two?
That's why it's easier to put flour in freezer for a week to kill any bugs and then place oxygen packet along with flour in a sealed container so you don't have to worry bout  making your own for a while.

Hard to say but my off the cuff guess is: 

In cities:

- 1% Prepped for 3 mo without services 

- 5-10% ready for 3 weeks without services 

Outside Cites: 

- 3-5% prepped for 3mo without services 

- 20-30% prepped for 3 weeks without services 

Me: Im not really a prepper. Have a few guns and decent ammo stock (1-3k rounds for each caliber). Have a couple cases of MRE (might hold us for 3 weeks when paired with the pantry). I keep two 5gal jugs full of water (change out every couple months), and ~5gal of gas in the garage. 

Im a camper so I have gear to get out into the woods if needed for some reason, but transport would be a challenge if fuel supply was interrupted or roads were blocked/clogged. 

I have buddies who are actual preppers. Gardens, honey hives, tons of weapons and ammo, months of food stores, water purification supplies, Medical supplies (antibiotics, IVs, trauma stuff, etc). I’ll never be that guy but I get why some do it. 

IMO everyone should be at least prepared for a few weeks without going to a store and with water and electricity cut off. It’s not that expensive/hard. 

when i put my hands in my pockets i am guilty of carrying concealed weapons and i have been known to make a dynomite pasta fazul out of spare carbeurator gaskets and oven spray so i think i would be just fine brohans thats just how it is take that to the bank 

That's why it's easier to put flour in freezer for a week to kill any bugs and then place oxygen packet along with flour in a sealed container so you don't have to worry bout  making your own for a while.
Question. If you are putting the flour in a sealed container with oxygen absorbers, why do you have to freeze the flour to kill the bugs? Won't the lack of oxygen do the same thing?

i do have solar.  would just need to figure out how to jumper from the inverter output to my main breaker box without being on the grid.

i do have solar.  would just need to figure out how to jumper from the inverter output to my main breaker box without being on the grid.
Call an electrician. Ask him what it would entail to do it. Ask what equipment you would need and detailed instructions on how to do it yourself. 

And this is what I'm talking about. You have solar, but have no idea how to harness that energy should there be a major disruption of the grid. Wow, would that be frustrating. 

And this is what I'm talking about. You have solar, but have no idea how to harness that energy should there be a major disruption of the grid. Wow, would that be frustrating. 
And that's what I'm talking about. I think we all have an idea of what would need to happen but we don't have the skill to pull it off. Installing an inverter to convert your house to run off solar and be able to plug into it is probably a pretty simple exercise for a qualified election. If you're not, well you won't have to worry about running out of food. Your family might but it won't be your problem. As an aside, if you have solar and it's not hooked up to your house and you plan to stay for a while, spend the $500-600 bucks and have an electrician hook it up.

Me: Im not really a prepper. Have a few guns and decent ammo stock (1-3k rounds for each caliber). Have a couple cases of MRE (might hold us for 3 weeks when paired with the pantry). I keep two 5gal jugs full of water (change out every couple months), and ~5gal of gas in the garage. 

Im a camper so I have gear to get out into the woods if needed for some reason, but transport would be a challenge if fuel supply was interrupted or roads were blocked/clogged. 

I have buddies who are actual preppers. Gardens, honey hives, tons of weapons and ammo, months of food stores, water purification supplies, Medical supplies (antibiotics, IVs, trauma stuff, etc). I’ll never be that guy but I get why some do it. 

IMO everyone should be at least prepared for a few weeks without going to a store and with water and electricity cut off. It’s not that expensive/hard. 
:thumbup: @[icon] For reference...I know nobody that has a single MRE let alone cases of them. We have a few friends that camp but I'd say less than 5%. I know (aside from you good folks) approximately 1 prepper and 1 guy that could live off the land without too many problems. Now he may know a boatload of folks in the area that fit this mold but I don't. And to your last point, I feel like this is kinda like the savings dilema our country finds itself in. Everyone knows they should save XXXX but few do. It's getting better but still far from where it should be. I think being prepared for an emergency is similar. Most folks could manage a few days but outside of that they are reliant on the system supporting them, whatever that system may be.

Maybe I'm in the minority and just need to look around a little more and recognize that people are better prepared than I give them credit for :shrug:

And that's what I'm talking about. I think we all have an idea of what would need to happen but we don't have the skill to pull it off. Installing an inverter to convert your house to run off solar and be able to plug into it is probably a pretty simple exercise for a qualified election. If you're not, well you won't have to worry about running out of food. Your family might but it won't be your problem. As an aside, if you have solar and it's not hooked up to your house and you plan to stay for a while, spend the $500-600 bucks and have an electrician hook it up.

:thumbup: @[icon] For reference...I know nobody that has a single MRE let alone cases of them. We have a few friends that camp but I'd say less than 5%. I know (aside from you good folks) approximately 1 prepper and 1 guy that could live off the land without too many problems. Now he may know a boatload of folks in the area that fit this mold but I don't. And to your last point, I feel like this is kinda like the savings dilema our country finds itself in. Everyone knows they should save XXXX but few do. It's getting better but still far from where it should be. I think being prepared for an emergency is similar. Most folks could manage a few days but outside of that they are reliant on the system supporting them, whatever that system may be.

Maybe I'm in the minority and just need to look around a little more and recognize that people are better prepared than I give them credit for :shrug:
The smartest preppers you know probably haven't given you any clue they are preppers. If I had a hoard of food and water stored up, I'm not going to want my neighbors or even my kids to know. I leave a check on the counter from a client, those little morons are telling all their friends at school the next day. I'm sure there are a lot more than we realize. They just aren't fessing up to it. Take my cousin, I doubt many know outside of me and his inner circle how much he's prepared. 

Oh and to your point about 20 against 100 wouldn't work? 10 against 100 would work. Maybe even 5. They are so well armed, and more than that, these guys can drop a deer from 500 yards. They can't wait for deer and duck season. Can't wait go out and drop a large animal. For the most part, humans are easier to see than deer.  And while farms are spread out, means to getting to them are few and far between. They don't need to guard farms. They need to guard access points. Most people will stick to the roads if nothing more as a means of having a point of reference to not get lost. The farmers fortify the choke points and a handful could turn a mob around or drop them as they come. 

Question. If you are putting the flour in a sealed container with oxygen absorbers, why do you have to freeze the flour to kill the bugs? Won't the lack of oxygen do the same thing?
By the time the oxygen runs out of the container those few bugs could turn in to thousands.  So i would rather not have to sift all the flour to get the bugs out.   Or some people might eat them.

You're correct about the high percentage of death and carnage within the first few weeks, particularly in the big cities.  That's why farmers have a huge advantage: (1) They are already prepared, and will have at least a few days to really prepare (2) they can defend themselves (sorry a gang member with a AK stands zero chance against a farmer with a rifle who's been hunting in the woods his whole life) (3) they have extra ammo and guns to supply their quickly growing army (4) they have infinite food and water supply to feed their small army, (5) they know each other and can quickly band together, and (6) they've been waiting to Make America great again for a few generations...  they'd likely support this reduction of the weak and (internet) needy.
This guy knows.  A lot of these guys have been praying for this for quite a while now. 

I do need to buy enough solar panels and a mmpt controller and an inverter and batterys which i'll make.  And put these in a faraday cage.  So i'll have it just in case.  Wiring is easy did my whole house.  Although one thing I'm lacking is a large supply of beer.  Running out of that might be my down fall!

I do need to buy enough solar panels and a mmpt controller and an inverter and batterys which i'll make.  And put these in a faraday cage.  So i'll have it just in case.  Wiring is easy did my whole house.  Although one thing I'm lacking is a large supply of beer.  Running out of that might be my down fall!
There it is. In bold.

In order to survive, one must offer greater benefit to the group than they take from it.

I can make wine, beer, liquor, grass and other assorted concoctions that may soothe the soul.

I just need to find the right environment to barter with.

😎

joffer said:
In your main breaker box you have three sources.  The wiring from your solar, the wiring from the utility company and the wiring that goes to the house.  The wiring isn't the issue....you just connect the solar to the house and you're done.  For me, it's figuring out how to override the logic in the inverters that switches things to the outlets when the power from the utility is not live.

Man of Constant Sorrow said:
There it is. In bold.

In order to survive, one must offer greater benefit to the group than they take from it.

I can make wine, beer, liquor, grass and other assorted concoctions that may soothe the soul.

I just need to find the right environment to barter with.

😎
Teach me Obi One!  You're my only Hope!  Of surviving an apocalypse!

Users who are viewing this thread