What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda: Week 11 (1 Viewer)

PeoplezPerspective

Footballguy
What in the wide world of sports is going on here? The last time there was this much controversy surrounding a Monday Night Football game, replacement refs were involved. This is not to say there was Pass Interference, but let us agree that Luke Kuechly was closer to Rob Gronkowski then a drunken Joe Namath was to Suzy Kolber. Week 11 had it all, including some big performances by some relatively unknowns. I hope you enjoyed the new segment featured on this site, Pickin With Pano. Be sure to check back often for continued growth with our content. Enough beating around the bush, lets get right into it.

Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!

Follow @PeoplezPen

Quarterbacks

Did you ever think that at this point in the season there would be so many new signal callers making positive impacts for fantasy teams? There were a total of six quarterbacks who, if they are not still available, were on waivers just a short time ago. Ben Roethlisberger had his occasional big game, as he carved up the Lions secondary en route to 367 yards and 4 Touchdowns. There was even a Carson Palmer sighting as he threw for 419 to go with 2 TDs, and get this: zero Interceptions. Cam Newton (209 yards passing, 3 TDs; 62 yards rushing) continued to make strides in becoming one of the games elite, and on a national stage at that. But the real story was the continued impressive play of Nick Foles (298 passing; 47 rushing, 1 TD), and Mike Glennon (231, 2). Both have looked comfortable and have given their teams renewed hope. Scott Tolzien may have thrown 3 Ints with no TDs, but he also accumulated 339 yards through the air, which leads me to believe he has a future in this league. The undrafted Matt McGloin started in place of the injured Terrelle Pryor and, against a very solid Texans defense, was able to pass for 197 yards with 3 TDs and no INTs. The other undrafted starter Case Keenum (170-1-1) didnt look horrible, but was still pulled in the second half. Matt Schaub wasnt much better, and I expect Keenum will still be a solid play going forward. Did you really think Jason Campbell (248-1-3) had found something he had been missing to this point in his career? I have never been a big fan of the Auburn product, and despite having some receiving options in Cleveland, would not advise adding him to your roster. Of the QBs who possibly remain available, I would consider Tolzien and McGloin, with an edge to the Packers rookie. Aaron Rodgers is supposed to be coming back, but it is still undetermined as to when, so Tolzien will have value until that time.

Suggested Play, Case Keenum: 170 yards passing, 1 TD/1 INT. Verdict: Loss

Suggested Pass, Terrelle Pryor (before status was announced): Did Not Play. Verdict: Win

Running Backs

If you have been following me throughout the season, you will remember I recommended Bobby Rainey as a stash to your rosters. The only problem is, that came when he was still a member of the Cleveland Browns. When he was cut from them, he lost most of his value in my eyes until now. Sundays breakout of 163 yards gained on the ground with three touchdowns (one came receiving) should not be seen as a fluke. I dont know that he can sustain that level for the remainder of the season, but he is now the second project who has found success in Tampa Bay. It certainly begs the question, is Doug Martin overrated? Another rusher who I am having a really hard time supporting is Rashad Jennings (150-1), despite his best efforts to prove me wrong. It is beginning to look like he may indeed be for real. Shane Vereen returned after a long absence to give his patient owners something to be excited about. His 8 receptions for 65 yards came against a top defense in Carolina, and he doesnt appear to have missed a beat. A burning question on everyones mind is if Ray Rice (131-1) turned the corner. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say yes, but the sample size this season is too great to restore my trust in him completely. If you havent bought in to Donald Brown (80-2), shame on you. Not only is he playing with renewed energy, but he has the vote of the coaches now getting 14 carries to Trent Richardsons 8. He is becoming a high end RB2 very quickly down the stretch of this season. Dont overestimate the performances of Monte Ball (2 TDs) or Antoine Smith (88-1). But had success this week, but their backup roles will not change. Andre Brown (66 yards) and Stevan Ridley (48-1) continued to be steady, and can be relied on each week. However, some concern should be shown regarding Andre Ellington who only managed 8 3 yard on 8 carries against the Jaguars. We may not have seen the end of Rashard Mendenhall in Arizona, and it may have been premature to anoint Ellington his successor.

Suggested Play, Chris Ivory: 98 rushing yards, 1 TD. Verdict: Win

Suggested Pass, Stevan Ridley: 48 rushing yards, 1 TD. Verdict: Loss

Wide Receivers

Just looking at the box score, Calvin Johnsons stat line (6-179-2) is impressive. Yet that all came in the first half, so it is a little disconcerting to see him be entirely shut out of any half. I wouldnt worry too much, but dont forget that there were some absences from Megatron earlier this year. I continue to be impressed by Harry Douglas (6-134-1) and Jarrett Boykin (6-91) who went from obscurity to outstanding in the blink of an eye. If for any reason either is available dont hesitate to add both. Equally emerging on that level is Marquise Goodwin (6-81-1) who is adding an all-around game to his break-away speed. Antonio Brown (7-147-2) maintained his league leading pace and All-Pro season, as did Vincent Jackson (10-165-1). The Michael Floyd explosion (6-193-1) was nice, but out of the norm. Jarius Wright (3-69-2) is an intriguing name and is one to watch in the immediate future. I wouldnt drop someone with higher value to add him just yet, but if you have the room on your roster, by all means dont pass. My prediction of a dynamic debut in Seattle for Percy Harvin (1-17) fell very short of coming true. He looked great on a kick return, but only managed to get 1 target from Russell Wilson during the contest. As much as I would like to see Harvin succeed, I think his production will come in the post-season, which limits his value for fantasy purposes. I have been wrong before, and will assuredly be so again, but he has a lot of work to do to get back into top form. I thought adrenaline alone would carry him this past week, but it just wasnt there. Brandon LaFell (7-159-1) continues to be a sneaky source of points as a target for the Panthers. If you are looking for some depth at the position, he is someone you may be able to still pluck off of waivers.

Suggested Play, Percy Harvin: 1 reception for 17 yards. Verdict: Loss

Suggested Pass, TY Hilton: 5 receptions for 44 yards. Verdict: Win

Tight Ends

This was a big week for a lot of Tight Ends who have shown potential, but never quite put it together. Somehow, they all managed to find that big performance in the same week. You had Garrett Graham (7-136-1), Coby Fleener (8-107), Rob Housler (6-70), Delanie Walker (10-91-1), John Carlson (5-69), and my personal favorite Mychal Rivera (5-54-1) all contribute valuable points. Of this group Housler is the most intriguing. During the pre-season he had as much hype as Jordan Cameron, only to be hobbled by a high ankle sprain in the first couple of weeks. That appears to be a thing of the past as the Cardinal now has put forth a solid effort 3 of the last 4 games. Despite playing in the NFC West, at 6-4 Arizona is still in the playoff hunt. If Housler can be what he has shown of late, he makes for a solid starter at TE going forward. Speaking of Cameron (6-29), his production has taken a big hit since Jason Campbell became his starting QB. While the 6 catches are nice to see, the total output of 29 yards is alarming. It is way too soon to pull the plug on him, but if you can add a Housler or Fleener I would consider them to be safer plays at the moment.

Suggested Play, Garrett Graham: 7 receptions for 136 yards, and 1 TD. Verdict: Win

Suggested Pass, Martellus Bennett: 2 receptions for 48 yards. Verdict: Win

Play 'Em/Pass 'Em I take some heat for some of the guys who appear on this list, but more often than not they are accurate. It is a hypothesis, not an exact science. I will remind you: It is always better when I am asked to choose between specific players. Randomly picking guys from a roster that includes the entire league does not completely paint the picture for your individual team. You can do this by leaving your question in the comment section, emailing me at PeoplezPerspective@gmail.commailto:PeoplezPerspective@gmail.com, or asking on Twitter. There are six (4) teams on a bye this week. Here are some of the guys I do and do not like...

Week 12 Byes: Buffalo, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Seattle

Quarterback

Play 'Em: Mike Glennon, TB (@ DET) I have yet to see him look intimidated at any point, and he now has his team on a slight roll. Detroit's pass defense has been atrocious. 3 TD's too much?

Pass 'Em: Matt Ryan, ATL (vs NO) The Saints are looking to deliver the finishing blow to their division rival. This could be the one week Ryan doesn't find the end zone.

Running Back

Play 'Em: Ben Tate, HOU (vs JAX) He's finally getting his chance to be the featured back, and he's doing it with pure guts (cracked ribs). Look for him to flourish against the Jags.

Pass 'Em: Zac Stacy, STL (vs CHI) This is the product of a top secondary taking on a poor QB. The Bears will stack the box and make it a long day for Stacy.

Wide Receiver

Play 'Em: Victor Cruz, NYG (vs DAL) So a couple of bad weeks makes everyone doubt you these days. Cruz will dance

his way back into your hearts against America's team.

Pass 'Em: Josh Gordon, CLE (vs PIT) Take a re-energized Steelers defense versus an underachieving QB, and I'll take Pitt every time. Gordon suffers as a result.

Tight End

Play 'Em: Delanie Walker, TEN (@ OAK) He's becoming a favorite of Fitzpatrick, and did you see what Garrett Graham did last week to the Raiders? I like Delanie a lot this week.

Pass 'Em: Charles Clay, MIA (vs CAR) This is the week the Dolphins offensive line issues catch up to them. The Panthers linebackers are too good to let Clay run free, and the shut him down.

Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!

Follow @PeoplezPen

Thanks again for the continued and growing support! If you are a Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Peoplez-Perspective/192853800898135?ref=stream user, please "Like" the new page. If you like the column, please refer a friend - it will make the world a better place. Have a great week and good luck in your games!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have teams not been stacking the box against Stacy thus far?

I don't get that.
Yes, I think they have tried but have been let down by their secondary's, which blew up the game plan. I think Chicago's corners and safeties are good enough to not let that happen. Does that make more sense? Thanks for commenting! I appreciate if

Thanks for the article, but I hope you're wrong on Stacy. He was a bit nicked up and they had an extra week to prepare. I see a solid week for him.

Chicago just made a terrible ray rice look good again. They can't stop anyone running the ball. Won't have Briggs this week. Stacy finally had time to get healthy and fresh. There aren't many rbs I'd sit Stacy for this week.

I hope for the sake of Stacy owners that I am wrong. It's just how I see it happening. I love all the enthusiasm and support for him, I really didn't list him to stir the waters or be too bold. This is why the forums are so great!

I sat Gordon for Keenan Allen last week. Not going to make that mistake again. I hope you are wrong on him as I need him more than ever this week to secure a playoff spot.

I sat Gordon for Keenan Allen last week. Not going to make that mistake again. I hope you are wrong on him as I need him more than ever this week to secure a playoff spot.
I wouldn't sit Allen any week, but I can understand why you did. Hope it works for you this week and you get that playoff berth!

I wouldn't sit Allen any week, but I can understand why you did. Hope it works for you this week and you get that playoff berth!
People keep saying this, and I keep thinking it and starting him as well, but he's put up 3 mediocre/bad weeks in a row since his big game against the Skins.

Add to that, he's operating on a bum wheel against the Chiefs and he's gonna have to earn his lineup spot back on my roster.

I know, the Chiefs can be passed on, but they did hold Manning in check, even without much pressure.

I give them the edge against the Chargers this weekend.

Pass 'Em: Josh Gordon, CLE (vs PIT) Take a re-energized Steelers defense versus an underachieving QB, and I'll take Pitt every time. Gordon suffers as a result.
How many do you think said that last week against a far superior CIN defense?

Never bench your studs, and Gordon especially. He made KC his ##### too

Pass 'Em: Matt Ryan, ATL (vs NO) The Saints are looking to deliver the finishing blow to their division rival. This could be the one week Ryan doesn't find the end zone.

The Shark Pool can chew you up, lol... 1-1 so far this week, how many more will be right or wrong? Thanks for checking in!!

Wow, I think you are wrong on Stacy. The Bears have lost 3 starting Def tackles at this point, their starting middle linebacker and their top corner. You obviously are bypassing the direct evidence from the Bears/Packer game as they stacked the line to stop Lacy and got completely and utterly destroyed. The Bears are my team but we couldn't stop a stiff breeze at the moment. To top that off, the 130+ yd performance by Stacy against the Seahawks at home 3 weeks ago strongly suggest that he is in for a big game. In actuality, there is nothing to suggest that the Bears coming off a wild win in the Quagmire Bowl are due for anything but a huge letdown in the dome against a team coming off of a bye that has had 2 weeks to prepare for them.

Wow, I think you are wrong on Stacy. The Bears have lost 3 starting Def tackles at this point, their starting middle linebacker and their top corner. You obviously are bypassing the direct evidence from the Bears/Packer game as they stacked the line to stop Lacy and got completely and utterly destroyed. The Bears are my team but we couldn't stop a stiff breeze at the moment. To top that off, the 130+ yd performance by Stacy against the Seahawks at home 3 weeks ago strongly suggest that he is in for a big game. In actuality, there is nothing to suggest that the Bears coming off a wild win in the Quagmire Bowl are due for anything but a huge letdown in the dome against a team coming off of a bye that has had 2 weeks to prepare for them.
All valid, but that's why they play the games.

Wide Receiver

Play 'Em: Victor Cruz, NYG (vs DAL) So a couple of bad weeks makes everyone doubt you these days. Cruz will dance

his way back into your hearts against America's team.

No one's benching Cruz, especially not vs Dallas.

Honestly with Gordon vs PIT I'm nervous, but NE & DET have had great WR games against them. Dallas was an underperformer but MIN had their best passing game of the year against them, Simpson and Jennings went nuts. The PIT schedule has been littered with poor pasing teams besides that. Then just look at Gordon play, seriously how do you not start him.

Also Campbell was a 'must sit' I'm sure for everyone vs KC & BAL but he had two good games. If you want to make hay in this gig I would say help people choose between real bye week fill-in QBs they are choosing from. So bench Ryan for whom? Glennon? Ok you're doing good there I'd say.

Also Campbell was a 'must sit' I'm sure for everyone vs KC & BAL but he had two good games. If you want to make hay in this gig I would say help people choose between real bye week fill-in QBs they are choosing from. So bench Ryan for whom? Glennon? Ok you're doing good there I'd say.

Am I correct to assume this is a compliment? :/

Suggested Pass, Terrelle Pryor (before status was announced): Did Not Play. Verdict: Win
lol
Funny now, but Tuesday night when it was written, he was expected to play.
I laugh because HTF is that a win?
Is it a Loss? I said NOT to play him.
At best it's nothing. Counting it as a win is a little cheap.
I'd pass on Aaron Rodgers this week.

Good stuff People. I like reading your stuff. You clearly put time and thought into it so thanks for posting.

How many do you think said that last week against a far superior CIN defense?

Never bench your studs, and Gordon especially. He made KC his ##### too
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo Lawd!!!!!

I pity the fool who ever puts this behemoth on your bench.

He's a top 5 WR and has missed 2 games LOL

When your advice is to sit the best WR of the week... ya, it's time to take a break :lol:

rough
I can admit when I'm wrong, but please - they scored once and who in the world saw those numbers coming. He had a great game, it happens, but that was absurd. Tone it down a little

When your advice is to sit the best WR of the week... ya, it's time to take a break :lol:

rough
I can admit when I'm wrong, but please - they scored once and who in the world saw those numbers coming. He had a great game, it happens, but that was absurd. Tone it down a little
He's averaging 110yds a game

and .56 td a game

So... anyone who follows football saw good numbers coming?
If you read what I wrote ("re-energized Pitt D" - check) and ("underachieving QB" - check) the logic was sound. I didn't question Gordon's ability, which came thru today. What else would you like to critique me on today sir?

rough

and .56 td a game

If you read what I wrote ("re-energized Pitt D" - check) and ("underachieving QB" - check) the logic was sound. I didn't question Gordon's ability, which came thru today. What else would you like to critique me on today sir?
ben tate, zac stacy, victor cruz, delanie walker ;)

rough

and .56 td a game

ben tate, zac stacy, victor cruz, delanie walker ;)
It was a rough day today, yes. Next...

Users who are viewing this thread