What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda: Week 12 (1 Viewer)

PeoplezPerspective

Footballguy
cws-week-12.jpg
Welcome back, and thanks again for stopping by. So much has gone on the past two weeks, and all of it has been exciting. The addition of two new writers (David Panosian and Mike Osinski), our partnership with FanDuel, some Holiday Shopping help, and of course the action on the gridiron, have all made for a busy week. Of course, none of this can hide the fact that my Plays and Passes for last week were truly atrocious. It happens, what else can be said. I also fell off my bike a bunch of times, but that hasn’t stopped me from riding. I sincerely hope you are enjoying the additions, and find new reason to check back to this site with more regularity. Now on to the week that was…​
Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!
Follow @PeoplezPen

Quarterbacks

At this point in the year, the haves and have not’s are pretty much separated. Yes, you may be fighting for a playoff spot, and of course anything can happen, but did you really expect to be relying on some names you had never heard of at the games premiere position? Whether it is from injury (Aaron Rodgers), or ineffectiveness (Eli Manning), some lesser known players are carrying your Championship dreams. Of course you could be one of the lucky, and own Tom Brady (344 yards, 3 TD’s), or Philip Rivers (392, 3), who continue to put up consistency. Peyton Manning (150-2-1) owners got a huge scare, as his surgically repaired body showed signs of weakness in the cold and windy weather. I would still rather have him than not, but with his home games in Denver, it is cause for concern. Two guys I have liked as fill ins, suddenly are hazardous to your health. That’s right, stay away from Scott Tolzien (98, 0), and Case Keenum (169, 0-1 INT) – although I would still roster Keenum in deeper and dynasty leagues. Colin Kaepernick (325, 3) may have re-discovered himself, and at the perfect time. Mike Glennon (247, 2) continues to be a steady source of dependability, while Ryan Fitzpatrick (320, 2) and Josh McCown (352, 2/1) are making a case for the same. Most of these guys are probably long gone, but there is one name that more than likely remains available, has been flashing potential, and will get a chance to play. That man is Matt McGloin (260, 1/1), and if you are in desperate need for a live arm, he is worth taking a shot on and starting. Matt Flynn (218, 1) is intriguing and has been named the current starter, but I feel the leash is too short in Green Bay to rely too heavily on him just yet.

Suggested Play, Mike Glennon: 247 yards passing, 2 TD's
Suggested Pass, Matt Ryan: 292 yards passing, 0 TD/0 INT

Running Backs

A week ago, I went out on a limb and said that Zac Stacy would have a tough day against the Bears. It was a cold and lonely island, but not out of the realm of possibility in my opinion. It doesn’t make me happy to say that this came true, as a concussion cut his day short, and I am sure made things very tough for him. Before that happened though, he made me look terrible by running his way to 87 yards and 1 Touchdown in the first half. In fact, if it were not for the injury he may have out-produced Knowshown Moreno (224, 1) who had a monster performance in a frigid New England. The only thing that could have been worse than my Stacy prediction was to think Ben Tate could have a Knownshown type of game at home against the Jags. No, that came to a screeching halt as Tate was only able to put up 1 rushing yard on seven attempts. That is not a typo. You are seeing ONE, (1), uno, correctly. Fortunately, the backups for my hit and miss guys had very solid games, and are available in many leagues. Benny Cunningham (109, 1), and Dennis Johnson (74 yards) both may have earned themselves some more playing time. If they happen to be available, you should certainly add them, at the very least, to keep them from starting against you. Jamaal Charles (115, 2 TD’s; 4 receptions for 42 yards) and Eddie Lacy (110, 1; 6-48) continue to be the most reliable at the position. If you have either, life is good right now.

Suggested Play, Ben Tate: 1 rushing yard, 0 TD.
Suggested Pass, Zac Stacy: 87 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Wide Receivers

As if the Stacy and Tate debacle wasn’t enough, I also got hammered with my WR picks. Not only did I have this one backwards as well, but Josh Gordon (14 catches for 237 yards, 1 TD) was exceptional, and easily finished as the week’s top producing wide-out. Outside of the usual suspects, there really are not too many guys who may be worth adding that are left out there. Dwayne Bowe (5-51-1) has been a disappointment, but that is only from what his expectations were. He is someone I view as a great Flex starter, and depending on your options, a viable number two receiver. Julian Edelman (9-110-2) is having a career year, but with New England finally being at full strength there are just too many weapons for Tom Brady to play with. Can anyone say with any certainty who will be the Patriots top guy from week to week? That is why I would put Edelman in the same group as Bowe, reliable but not game changing. If Michael Floyd (7-104) is still lingering on the free agents list, you would be wise to add and ride his current hot streak. There really just is not that much that can potentially help you for the playoff run. Justin Hunter (6-109-1) has earned himself more playing time, and will be on a lot of wish lists this week, but he has had one good game. It is tough to pin your hopes on a still unproven rookie. Tiquan Underwood (3-108-2) might be attainable for you, and is in the best situation. He has quickly become a trusted target of his QB Mike Glennon, and is a clear starter on a team playing with some renewed energy. However, this is also his fifth professional season, and his third professional team, so if the numbers never lie, then he too might not be someone to pin your hopes on. You have made it this far with what you have, so the scarcity of usable talent in free agency should not affect you.

Suggested Play, Victor Cruz: 2 receptions for 27 yards.
Suggested Pass, Josh Gordon: 14 receptions for 237 yards, 1 TD.

Tight Ends

Some things have been learned this season at the Tight End position that should stick with you for months after you read this. Rob Gronkowski was worth the wait, and Jimmy Graham is an absolute stud. The moral is there are really only two TE’s in all of football that should make you comfortable as an owner. Outside of these two guys it is a crapshoot. Remember that next year when you draft, because there will be two guys in the room smarter than the rest. Jordan Cameron (3-32) looked like he could be in a tier that would challenge for supremacy, but he has quickly faded. While Josh Gordon was running around catching everything, Cameron totaled just 3 catches. I attribute a large portion of his struggles to the inconsistent QB play, but he is going to have to work his way back to prove his worth. Rob Housler (4-51) continues to turn in about the same production, which in a PPR league will give you a minimum of 10 points a week. The potential is still there for greater numbers, and if that is going to be his floor I would be very happy starting him. Timothy Wright (8-75) is also starting to provide more consistency, and has the talent to breakout at any moment. It seems as though John Carlson (3-36) has returned to earth after his two week excursion to the Land of Make Believe. If you were rolling him out as your starter and expecting great results, shame on you. There is a chance with Ladarius Green though. He is listed as a Tight End, but is lining up as a Wide Receiver – and essentially playing as one. He has now gone two straight games with at least 5 targets and a minimum of 80 yards. This week (3-80-1) he added a touchdown, and if this can become his average day it is like fantasy gold at this point in the season.

Suggested Play, Delanie Walker: 5 receptions for 46 yards.
Suggested Pass, Charles Clay: 4 receptions for 27 yards.

Play 'Em/Pass 'Em I take heat for some of the guys who appear on this list, but more often than not they are accurate. It is a hypothesis, not an exact science. I will remind you: It is always better when I am asked to choose between specific players. Randomly picking guys from a roster that includes the entire league does not completely paint the picture for your individual team. You can do this by leaving your question in the comment section, emailing me at PeoplezPerspective@gmail.commailto:PeoplezPerspective@gmail.com, or asking on Twitter. There are no bye's remaining this season. Here are some of the guys I do and do not like...

Quarterback
Play 'Em: Matt McGloin, OAK (@ DAL) He has been sharp in his only two starts, and now gets a vulnerable defense for his first National game. Those unaware will take notice.
Pass 'Em: Alex Smith, KC (vs DEN) This should be a gritty, grounded out attack, taking place mainly between the tackles. Smith won't be bad, he just won't be good either.

Running Back
Play 'Em: Andre Brown, NYG (@ WAS) Since making his debut three weeks ago he has been nothing short of a work horse. That doesn't change, and neither does the Skin's ineffectiveness.
Pass 'Em: Benny Cunningham, STL (@ SF) Talk about bad timing. Just when the rookie is in line to see more carries, he draws an impressive defense who is starting to peak.

Wide Receiver
Play 'Em: Jarrett Boykin, GB (@ DET) Since becoming a starter he has had just one bad game. That includes three different QB's. He is a legitimate elite WR against a bad defense this week.
Pass 'Em: Mike Wallace, MIA (@ NYJ) If the Jekyll and Hyde theme continues for the Jets, this is a week they will shut their rivals down. Does Ed Reed make an impact in his home debut?

Tight End
Play 'Em: Rob Housler, ARI (@ PHI) He has elevated his floor to be respectable, and still holds big time potential. Cardinals offense has been much better of late. He is big reason why.
Pass 'Em: Timothy Wright, TB (@ CAR) The Panthers think they are better than what they showed at Miami last week. They will make the Bucs pay, which includes Wright's performance.

Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!
Follow @PeoplezPen

Thanks again for the continued and growing support! If you are a Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Peoplez-Perspective/192853800898135?ref=stream user, please "Like" the new page. If you like the column, please refer a friend - it will make the world a better place. Have a great week and good luck in your games!

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your thoughts on Flacco? Does he have the chance of being a late season flyer year?

I'm a worried RG3 owner potentially searching for a playoff QB on a very thin wire.

His playoff schedule is decent, but his lack of weapons (and potentially talent) is not inspiring.

But he showed us last year that he can turn it on late in the season.

Man, you were warned about Gordo. Was this some east coast bias or something? Maybe you should have looked at a couple other bad weather games like NE/Den or NYG/Dal.

I worked on the QB problem last week, went with Glennon over Fitzpatrick, Palmer, Keenum, McGloin, Tolzien. Glennon did well, but I think the answer here was Fitz, then Palmer.

I think the TE & QB calls are the most interesting items here this week. That McGloin vs Dal matchup is intriguing; I'd say many are expecting a Cowboys DST Thanksgiving Day feast, I think the Nittany Lion and Streater do pretty well.

If Wallace had made that last second catch against Carolina last week that would have been a huge day for him (not to mention a nice gift for Saints fans). He still had a very good day. That was against Carolina. The whole Jets at home thing freaks me out, they have a good record there, I'm not sure the Phins DST is such a great play there, but I do think the offense can score some points. The Jets have Reed back there now too, that just seems to be begging for the deep ball against them.

Cunningham, even though it's a bad matchup I bet people who picked him up are plugging him in because they lost Stacy or Ivory or the Jennings/McFadden thing, etc. Unless Stacy plays, he has no one to steal carries. The Rams have been on a tear. Really I'd say Tate owners should bench him for Benny.

What are your thoughts on Flacco? Does he have the chance of being a late season flyer year?

I'm a worried RG3 owner potentially searching for a playoff QB on a very thin wire.

His playoff schedule is decent, but his lack of weapons (and potentially talent) is not inspiring.

He's a fantasy mirage: big arm, tons of talent, but better game manager in real life than a fantasy stud. Could you do worse? Yes. But you could also do better. Really comes down to who is still available in your league. RG3 has used all 4 quarters to make respectable fantasy numbers, but it's never a fun or easy ride. With the disaster going on in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get benched even. A better option than Flacco right now, but I worry too. Who are the FA's in your league?

He's a fantasy mirage: big arm, tons of talent, but better game manager in real life than a fantasy stud. Could you do worse? Yes. But you could also do better. Really comes down to who is still available in your league. RG3 has used all 4 quarters to make respectable fantasy numbers, but it's never a fun or easy ride. With the disaster going on in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get benched even. A better option than Flacco right now, but I worry too. Who are the FA's in your league?
Tanehill, Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, Eli Manning

Thought about Eli too, but if I'm remembering correctly, his playoff schedule didn't look as great.

He's got the Seahawks in week 15.

Man, you were warned about Gordo. Was this some east coast bias or something? Maybe you should have looked at a couple other bad weather games like NE/Den or NYG/Dal.

I worked on the QB problem last week, went with Glennon over Fitzpatrick, Palmer, Keenum, McGloin, Tolzien. Glennon did well, but I think the answer here was Fitz, then Palmer.

I think the TE & QB calls are the most interesting items here this week. That McGloin vs Dal matchup is intriguing; I'd say many are expecting a Cowboys DST Thanksgiving Day feast, I think the Nittany Lion and Streater do pretty well.

If Wallace had made that last second catch against Carolina last week that would have been a huge day for him (not to mention a nice gift for Saints fans). He still had a very good day. That was against Carolina. The whole Jets at home thing freaks me out, they have a good record there, I'm not sure the Phins DST is such a great play there, but I do think the offense can score some points. The Jets have Reed back there now too, that just seems to be begging for the deep ball against them.

Cunningham, even though it's a bad matchup I bet people who picked him up are plugging him in because they lost Stacy or Ivory or the Jennings/McFadden thing, etc. Unless Stacy plays, he has no one to steal carries. The Rams have been on a tear. Really I'd say Tate owners should bench him for Benny.
No east coast biased lol, just a disbelief in the Cleveland QB's. I actually love Gordon, and told everyone not to panic when he had a terrible game in Week 7. I got burned by him, like many pro CB's have. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!

Tanehill, Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, Eli Manning

Thought about Eli too, but if I'm remembering correctly, his playoff schedule didn't look as great.

He's got the Seahawks in week 15.
Fitzpatrick is my clear and away favorite of your options. Tannehill pushes Flacco for 2nd, but I would avoid Eli and Manuel. If you can get Fitz, he's your guy.

Flacco looked pretty good last night. Not a world beater, or fantasy stud, but his receivers were making plays, and his line was giving him tons of time to throw.

Will be interesting to see how he fares against the vikings and lions.

With a fantasy playoff win, one could roster Fitzpatrick for week 16 versus Jax and have a pretty tasty QBBC if things keep heading the direction they are.

The playem/passem list is off to a shaky start.

Andre brown is a consensus top 7-8 RB this week, I can't imagine anyone having much better options.

Users who are viewing this thread