What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda: Week 6 (1 Viewer)

PeoplezPerspective

Footballguy
Week 6 in the National Football League showed us that no matter how well your draft your team, to win in Fantasy Football you need a little luck and some waiver wire magic. Wide Receivers such as Justin Blackmon and Keenan Allen have emerged in the past two weeks, and should be viewed for the rest of the season as must starts. Rookie Running Backs Zac Stacy and Andre Ellington have also found success, and are great guys to have on your roster. Injuries to some big name players have opened the door for some new potential Fantasy studs. Guys like Jarrett Boykin, and Joseph Randle are names you should become familiar with. There is a lot to get to this week, so if you would like to know some more waiver wire wildcats, use any of the contact information below to find me. Twitter is the preferred method, and as such has spawned the new "Mailbag" section at the end. Thanks for continuing to read this weekly, it is beginning to take off! Now on to the business at hand....​
The concept of this column is to highlight the past weeks most notable Fantasy performances from the most influential positions (Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, and Tight End). I will identify a player whom you would generally rely on as one of your starters that you Coulda started, but due to their lackluster performance should not have. Next will be a player who more than likely is on your bench or waiver wire that you Woulda started, and had you done so would have been rewarded with Starter-like numbers. And finally, I will list a player that if you could have had your pick of the entire NFL you Shoulda started, essentially the top performer at his position.
Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!
Follow @PeoplezPen

Quarterbacks

Coulda thought that was the real Tony Romo, DAL Cowboys. (170 Yards, 1 TD/1 INT)
So you thought maybe this was the year Romo could escape controversy. He had been brilliant to start the season, culminating in a league best 500 passing yards with 5 TD's just a week ago. That was enough to have you feeling great about starting him versus a weak Redskins secondary. But Tony, Oh Tony we knew this was going to come from you! More amazing then his regression, was the fact the Cowboys got nothing from the QB, lost DeMarco Murray and still walloped the 'Skins. Just goes to show how bad a lot of peoples pre-season Super Bowl pick really is. Daniel Snyder must be so proud.

Woulda trusted Chip Kelley's belief in Nick Foles, PHI Eagles. (296 Yards, 3 TD's; 1 Rush TD)
No Michael Vick to orchestrate the Run'N'Gun Eagles offense? No problem, the second year Arizona grad is more than capable. With the weapons Philly has at Coach Kelly's disposal, it would make you think even Ryan Leaf could have success in this system. Just shy of 300 yards, with count 'em 3 TD's (not to mention 1 more on the ground) and it all came against a very formidable Buccaneers Defense. If Foles is still available in your league, he won't be after this week. And rightly so.

Shoulda believed what I said about Andy Dalton, CIN Bengals. (337 Yards, 3 TD's/1 INT)
If you are a regular reader of this column, then you will remember two weeks ago I said to stick with the "Red Rifle". More than that, I said I would continue to "push his bandwagon" even if I was the only one left on it. I am happy he is finally beginning to support my defense, but owners of his should be more thrilled to see signs of life from AJ Green. If the two can get back on track, it is one of the more potent tandems in all of football.

Running Backs

Coulda been stunned by Willis McGahee, CLE Browns. (37 Rush yds, 0 TD's)
Just a week ago, the former Hurricane looked like he was returning to his prime and had secured the lead back title in Cleveland. That momentum, coupled with a home affair against the 29th ranked Rush Defense, made McGahee a sure bet for Sunday success. It was the main reason I advised many to view him as a must start. But the impossible happened. Not that I got it wrong, but that the ground game never got going against the Lions. It wasn't courage they lacked, it was a solid game plan that was missing. Do not panic if you own McGahee, he will still be a good source of production. After all, he is from the U.

Woulda went Back To The Future like Brandon Jacobs, NY Giants. (106 Rush yards, 2 TD's)
Someone forgot to tell the bruising hybrid Full Back that this was 2013 and not 2008. It wasn't so shocking to see the 22 hand offs he received, but rather the nearly 5 yards per carry he was able to maintain. If you took a gamble on him, kudos to you even though he was undoubtedly on your bench. This performance certainly has earned him a second chance at glory, but it is highly unlikely he can duplicate this effort. If you are a Giant fan, enjoy it for what it was.

Shoulda not had to face Knowshown Moreno, DEN Broncos. (42 Rush, 3 TD's; 7-62 Rec)
This is a bit personal for me, as I was one of the many done in this weekend by Moreno's gaudy numbers. For all the talk of a three-headed attack in the Bronco backfield, this is clearly becoming a one man show. Although it may have come at the expense of the Jaguars, the trust in featuring Knowshown in the Red Zone is a great sign for his owners. The 7 receptions for 62 yards was an added bonus you would be foolish to rely on, but the touchdowns should keep coming. Not a bad trade off considering how many trips to the Red Zone the Broncos make.

Wide Receivers

Coulda thought there was a new Torrey Smith, BAL Ravens. (1 catch for 12 yards)
"What happened to Torrey" was what @Thatdude2309 tweeted at me on Sunday. I mention that because it could not have been said much better. What did happen to Torrey Smith on Sunday? The Ravens have not had much success running the ball this year, but the one thing that had become reliable was Torrey. He had finally stepped up to become a true and dependable WR1, with receptions and yardage amongst the league leaders. The return of Jacoby Jones, as well as the emergence of Marlon Brown and Tandon Doss, means Joe Flacco has a few toys to play with. I think Smith goes back to where he was in seasons past, as that of a boom or bust guy. Now might be a great time to see what you can get for him in a trade. Speaking of Raven Receivers, now might also be a great time to take a flyer on Doss.

Woulda drafted and stashed Justin Blackmon, JAC Jaguars. (14-190 Yards, 20 Targets)
Since I referenced Ryan Leaf before, let us do so again. If Leaf had a receiver with the skills and ability of Blackmon, he would have had great success. Chad Henne is a better NFL Quarterback than Leaf. The moral? Justin Blackmon is that good! It is easy to get lost in Jacksonville, and missing the first four games did not help either, but do not forget how good he was coming out of Oklahoma State. He was the #5 overall draft pick for a reason, and this past week was not an aberration. Don't think about it as the Jags being that bad, think about it as how much better he can make your roster. Get him if you can.

Shoulda tuned out my advice on Vincent Jackson, TB Bucs. (9-114 Receiving, 2 TD's)
Let's be realistic, VJax wasn't exactly performing to what his expectations were. Throw in a rookie QB who looked awful in his debut, an injury to Mike Williams, and the circus environment that has befallen Tampa Bay, and you will agree I wasn't unreasonable to suggest benching him this past week. That was before the old Jackson emerged and shredded the Eagles secondary. Maybe Vince and Brandon Jacobs ate the same meals this week. Whatever he did, it was enough to show why he should still be on your roster. Trusting Mike Glennon enough to do this again? Well, that is a different story.

Tight Ends

Coulda believed it was opposite day like Jimmy Graham, NO Saints. (0 receptions for 0 Yards)
For a moment, just a moment, let's take the chance to be astonished at Graham's numbers from this week. I assure you this will never happen again. In fact, he already has three receptions in Week 7's game, and the Saints are on a bye. There is really not much more to say about this, it happens. It does remind us though, that nothing in life is perfect.

Woulda had 10 more like Kyle Rudolph, MIN Vikings. (9 receptions for 97 yards, 1 TD)
The sports world poured out their sympathy for Adrian Peterson this past week, with the tragic news of his son being murdered. The Vikings faithful came with a flurry of energy to support their hero, and help lead the team to a victory. For the first few minutes it was great. Then slowly, the energy began to fade away from everyone wearing purple. Everyone except Kyle Rudolph that is. Hopefully he can use this game as a spring board to jumpstart the remainder of his season. This is the type of production many thought could be routine for him.

Shoulda not even bothered with Vernon Davis, SF 49'ers. (8-180, 2 TD's)
This is the exact reason I will never again draft, trade, or roster Vernon Davis in any way, shape, or form. The potential is jaw dropping. He was Jimmy Graham before there was a Jimmy Graham (*Week 6 not withstanding). The problem I have with it? 7 of those catches and 171 of those yards all came in the first half. To me this does not mean he wasn't needed in the second half, it means he is already taking off the next few weeks. I would be absolutely shocked if he did this again before the playoffs. Which is exactly why it is so frustrating, because he is absolutely capable of doing it again.

It's time for Play 'Em/Pass 'Em!!! I envision that being said by all of you in a Pat Sajack, "Wheel of Fortune" type of way. While you are probably not, I can dream all I want. So let's spin the wheel and see who are good plays for Week 7, and who are some guys you may want to avoid. My goal is to help your team not hurt it, so the following is just in general using the entire league. Do not forget: It is always easier for me, and more beneficial for you, to be asked to choose between specific players. You can do this by leaving your question in the comment section, emailing me at PeoplezPerspective@gmail.com, or asking on Twitter.
Week 7 Byes for Oakland, and New Orleans.

Quarterback
Play 'Em: Tony Romo, DAL (@ PHI) The bad game is out of his system. Look for a big bounce back against a division rival. The Dez Bryant/Terrence Williams combo is coming on strong.
Pass 'Em: Sam Bradford, STL (@ CAR) He has been playing pretty well to this point, but the Carolina defense has been even better. He falters in a tough road matchup.

Running Back
Play 'Em: Marshawn Lynch, SEA (@ ARI) Lynch looked great last week and is starting to roll. Arizona defense is overrated and can be had. Seattle will pound the ground game.
Pass 'Em: Zac Stacy, STL (@ CAR) Two consecutive weeks the Rookie has looked good running the ball. The Rams offense will be in complete disarray against the Panthers, and Stacy will follow suit.

Wide Receiver
Play 'Em: Reggie Wayne, IND (vs DEN) One of the elite now in the 1k catch club, he doesn't appear to age. A big game will remind Peyton what he left behind in Indianapolis.
Pass 'Em: Andre Johnson, HOU (@ KC) In addition to worrying about the Chiefs staunch defense, Johnson has to worry about who will be throwing him the ball. Don't expect much this week.

Tight End
Play 'Em: Antonio Gates, SD (@ JAX) We've already seen some huge games from TE's this year, including some veterans. Sunday will be Gates day to join the party, and the Jags are great hosts.
Pass 'Em: Julius Thomas, DEN (@ IND) He is still learning, the Colts Defense will be fired up, and problems with communication will ensue for the Broncos. Thomas suffers as a result.

Follow Andy Singleton on Twitter!
Follow @PeoplezPen

Mailbag

I have decided to add a new section to this column based on the overwhelming support I have been receiving from the Twitter community. Just since Sunday alone, I have amassed almost 75 new followers. I must say, it is truly humbling but very appreciated. I hope it continues to grow at the pace it is on, and that you all know I am always available to answer your questions. If you enjoy reading this column, don't be stingy and share it with a friend. I consider it an honor to be trusted as an advisor. The purpose of this section is to highlight some of the advice I gave, good and bad, on Sunday leading up to kickoff via Twitter. If I missed one that you would like mentioned, please add it in the comment section. Keep in mind, as obvious as some of these may now appear, hindsight is always 20/20. Don't stop asking your questions, and maybe next week you will be mentioned.

@chaz2lfdy Start Antonio Brown over Vince Jackson
@Dyl2Real Start Josh Gordon over Calvin Johnson
@davidmellem Flex Stevan Ridley
@jayfromSD Start Justin Blackmon over Eric Decker
@JayWhatsthewhat Start Doug Martin and Justin Blackmon over Bilal Powell and Danny Amendola
@sasquatch0925 Start Tony Romo over Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin, III
@mattburesh Start Justin Blackmon over Calvin Johnson
@RotoBlogs Flex Kenbrell Thompkins over Zac Stacy
@dunbar_dennis Flex Justin Blackmon over CJ Spiller
@ndk_524 Start Willis McGahee over Fred Jackson
@ray_tamu Start Keenan Allen over Julian Edelman
@the_rane_man Start Randall Cobb, Antonio Brown, DeSean Jackson. Bench Anquan Boldin
@JLundbladESPN Start Danny Woodhead, Stevan Ridley. Bench Darren McFadden
@4for4_Josh Start Kenbrell Thompkins over James Jones, Donnie Avery, TY Hilton
@Bryce_lilly Flex Eddie Lacy over DeSean Jackson, Anquan Boldin, BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Thanks again for the continued and growing support! If you like the column, please refer a friend - it will make the world a better place. Have a great week and good luck in your games!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice column. the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" is too confusing though.
Thank you sir. I can see what you mean. The title is catchy, and the idea of 1 good, 1 bad, and the best 1 is the theme. But any of the words could be switched to apply, so I get what you are saying. That's why I did the colors (red = bad, yellow = good, green = best) to try to clear it up some. Thanks for reading and commenting though, it is greatly appreciated!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm selling insurance as a little side gig. Do you need term life insurance? You'd better believe you do! The unexpected can happen at any time. Would you like to pay less for your auto insurance? Of course you would! Who wouldn't?! What about homeowner's insurance? Have you ever had, say, hail damage to your roof, or a flooded basement that ruined your carpet and your policy didn't want to pay?

I'm here to help! PM me for competitive rates today!

V!agara Ci@lis best price! PM to make your woman purr again!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm selling insurance as a little side gig. Do you need term life insurance? You'd better believe you do! The unexpected can happen at any time. Would you like to pay less for your auto insurance? Of course you would! Who wouldn't?! What about homeowner's insurance? Have you ever had, say, hail damage to your roof, or a flooded basement that ruined your carpet and your policy didn't want to pay?

This is pretty funny, but I'm not advertising... I am sharing what I wrote. Anyways, good luck with your sales!

Its not bad. A for effort but the format is a little confusing as coulda woulda shoulda can pretty much be interchangeable since you changed the meanings in each one.

This is pretty funny, but I'm not advertising... I am sharing what I wrote. Anyways, good luck with your sales!
Yeah, okay.

Its not bad. A for effort but the format is a little confusing as coulda woulda shoulda can pretty much be interchangeable since you changed the meanings in each one.
The format remains the same throughout: 1 guy that bombed, 1 guy who played surprisingly well, and the best at the position. I am happy to be on your honor role tho. Thanks for reading, and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

The format remains the same throughout: 1 guy that bombed, 1 guy who played surprisingly well, and the best at the position. I am happy to be on your honor role tho. Thanks for reading, and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.
better luck next time rook.... take the thread to asst. coach.

Well, who cares if he is advertising? He is putting up fantasy football analysis in a fantasy football forum, which every single one of us do every day. Just BC we don't make our analysis into "official" columns with fancy catch phrases and colors doesn't mean we aren't doing what he does.

What do you think those threads like "I'm starting justin Blackmon over-" are? Same thing as this guy.

What he posted is very relevant to what we are interested in and to this website's mission: the sharing of fantasy football analysis.

I for one would much rather read stuff like this than 75% of the other comments in this forum which are all negative, snippy, back and forth girl fights and filled with anger.

Nice work OP keep it up!

No boyfriend, not dropping a deuce, pointy because it was a Mohawk at the time...but it is me, unlike most of your avatars. The humor is great, but the comments about the content are more constructive. Thanks for reading...

Hi Peoplez. Big fan. My girlfriend's birthday is today, and unfortunately we can't be together because I just took a job in New York and she's still stuck in Topeka, finishing up her studies. She's getting her degree in Veterinary Medicine. Anyway, we really miss each other and especially on a day like today, it's especially tough. We've been talking on the phone every night, each of us with your show on the radio. The power of music bridges all those miles, and it's like we're together. Could you please play "Me So Horny" by 2 Live Crew? Thanks so much and keep up the great work!

Well, who cares if he is advertising? He is putting up fantasy football analysis in a fantasy football forum, which every single one of us do every day. Just BC we don't make our analysis into "official" columns with fancy catch phrases and colors doesn't mean we aren't doing what he does.

What do you think those threads like "I'm starting justin Blackmon over-" are? Same thing as this guy.

What he posted is very relevant to what we are interested in and to this website's mission: the sharing of fantasy football analysis.

I for one would much rather read stuff like this than 75% of the other comments in this forum which are all negative, snippy, back and forth girl fights and filled with anger.

Nice work OP keep it up!
Thank you kindly, this was my intent upon posting. I am glad some of you recognize that, and find it useful and entertaining.

Hi Peoples,

It looks like you've misspelled "peoples" quite a few times. You might want to speak with your editor. YWIA.

Yours in christ,

Cliff

I agree with others that the format is rather confusing and not fluid to read.

I also disagree with some of your projects. In particular, I like TY to have a better game than Reggie this week, and I think you're dead wrong on Julius Thomas. You know Baltimore is considered to have a pretty good defense, and he seemed to have a pretty good game against them in his first start. Telling people to bench the #2 TE so far is just a bad call.

Anyways, you obviously put considerable time into the post, so thank you for the effort.

Honestly people are giving peoplez flak because his user date says 8/15/13. If it said 03, people would be falling all over themselves to say how insightful peoplez is.

Nice work OP keep it up!
Thank you kindly, this was my intent upon posting. I am glad some of you recognize that, and find it useful and entertaining.
That team in your sig is devastating. You must be crushing the other peoplez in your league.

Honestly people are giving peoplez flak because his user date says 8/15/13. If it said 03, people would be falling all over themselves to say how insightful peoplez is.
Definitely. People are right to be skeptical of newcomers that obviously have an agenda of self-promotion. If you present yourself as an expert, you should expect to be critiqued like one.

Definitely. People are right to be skeptical of newcomers that obviously have an agenda of self-promotion. If you present yourself as an expert, you should expect to be critiqued like one.
And we have been infiltrated by some snarky idiots lately but he seems cordial at least. Not coming off as a know it all. More in line with MOP than the other fly by night guys. We'll see if he sticks around and endures the hazing.

And we have been infiltrated by some snarky idiots lately but he seems cordial at least. Not coming off as a know it all. More in line with MOP than the other fly by night guys. We'll see if he sticks around and endures the hazing.
He is also a NYC Firefighter who risks his ### to save others every day in one of the toughest city's to work in the US and does this as a hobby bc he loves sports.

Knowing that, do you guys still care to try and tear him down? Or should we be thanking him for his service to the community and bravery and congratulating him on chasing his dreams?

Think before you try to tear someone down. Thats a person on the other end of the keyboard and wires that you are typing hateful stuff to. A person that has never done anything to you and doesn't deserve it.

Here is his website: http://peoplezperspective.com/

Peace.

For the record: I have not denied my self promotion, but where did I present myself as an expert? I do have a successful track record of making accurate predictions. If you check my history you will see this. As for my personal team, drafts and expectations can take a record elsewhere. As we all know, luck plays a larger role in fantasy sports than anything else. My ability to help someone else choose between who to start and sit for their respective rosters is vastly different, and should be treated as such: individually. As for Julius Thomas, look at the numbers. He has had 2 big games, that's it. Not seeing him as a great start this week is not as crazy as you would suggest.

He is also a NYC Firefighter who risks his ### to save others every day in one of the toughest city's to work in the US and does this as a hobby bc he loves sports.

Knowing that, do you guys still care to try and tear him down? Or should we be thanking him for his service to the community and bravery and congratulating him on chasing his dreams?

Think before you try to tear someone down. Thats a person on the other end of the keyboard and wires that you are typing hateful stuff to. A person that has never done anything to you and doesn't deserve it.

Here is his website: http://peoplezperspective.com/

Peace.
Thank you Ricky. Those are kind words, and are respected. I don't want that to be the reason people give me a read tho, I would hope the work is good enough to stand on it's own. This is a Fantasy Football community to share ideas, questions, and the like right? That is all I strive to accomplish on here. This is not the first thread I have posted, but easily has garnered the most response. I'm taking that as a good thing.

For the record: I have not denied my self promotion, but where did I present myself as an expert? I do have a successful track record of making accurate predictions. If you check my history you will see this. As for my personal team, drafts and expectations can take a record elsewhere. As we all know, luck plays a larger role in fantasy sports than anything else. My ability to help someone else choose between who to start and sit for their respective rosters is vastly different, and should be treated as such: individually. As for Julius Thomas, look at the numbers. He has had 2 big games, that's it. Not seeing him as a great start this week is not as crazy as you would suggest.
:lmao: He is a must start. Lets just take out 2 big games from every player in the first 6 weeks and see where they land. Don't be silly peoplez.

:lmao: He is a must start. Lets just take out 2 big games from every player in the first 6 weeks and see where they land. Don't be silly peoplez.
I am not advising not to start him. Unless you have Jimmy Graham or Jordan Cameron on your roster, Julius Thomas is more than likely your best TE and should start. In a general setting, having every player to choose from and not comparing for specific rosters, I am saying I do not think he will be the best TE this week. I thought that was fairly obvious to gather from what I wrote.

Actually great effort, so thanks.

I don't know if I would advise anyone from the Village Tavern in NYC to the King's Head Pub in Santa Monica to bench Julius Thomas.

Talk about woulda coulda shoulda, on draft day: "Should I take an extra tight end? Naahhhh..."

I saw it more as Berrys Love/Hate type of predictions. If you own him, you're starting him but peoplez happens to be down on him this week. Take that for whatever its worth.

You don't have to explicitly state that you are an expert in order for your conduct to suggest that you are holding yourself out to be one. I would argue that you maintaining multiple social media accounts with an aim to demonstrate your extensive knowledge on the subject and to consult others with it, you are holding yourself out to have specialized knowledge and skill--AKA an expert. The fact that you promote yourself on multiple platforms to garner a public following only supports that.

As for Julius Thomas, he has had 2 huge games in a 6 game span. In the other 4 games, he scored above 12 points (PPR) in all but one. He's the #2 TE in most formats and is in the best offense in the league being led by the best QB in the game. I'll agree to disagree.

I saw it more as Berrys Love/Hate type of predictions. If you own him, you're starting him but peoplez happens to be down on him this week. Take that for whatever its worth.
Yup...I personally don't agree with his analysis there, but to each their own. Julius Thomas is an automatic must start every week barring injury or bye week. Aside from those 2 big games, he has posted a TD in all but one game if my memory serves me correctly. He and welker (unbelievably) are manning's interchangeable 1a and 1b red zone options, so the TD pace is not an aberration. He's a huge target and a mismatch on almost every DB in the league. As long as the Bronocs keep getting close to the endzone Thomas will keep scoring TD's at a regular clip.

As far as Indy D...they aren't really anything special. Will they be fired up to face manning? sure. I bet they will be equally FRIGHTENED too. And let's not forget, manning will be JUST a tad fired up to put the ROUT on in Indy, not only to make them pay for letting him go, but also since Irsay just totally dissed him this week before their game. Ya think Fox and Manning are going to take his foot off the gas this week if his offense is clicking? I don't.

My only real concern with the broncos' offense as a whole is the continual loss of key O line players. They absorbed the loss of Clady well but the loss of Orlando Franklin seems to have put a dent in their armor. Manning got hit a lot last week vs Jax. Not good.

he seems cordial at least. More in line with MOP.
A Walgreen's Manager disagrees with you.

Users who are viewing this thread