What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid and School This Fall (1 Viewer)

My daughter got sent home yesterday to quarantine for 2 weeks - "close contact with someone who tested positive".  She is fine so far.

I live in IL ... The plan seems to have shifted from flattening the curve to nobody get sick.
In Illinois, "nobody get sick" might be the only way to "flatten the curve" going by the Daily New Cases graph.

At this point, though, the "flatten the curve" mantra is probably getting in the way. Too many assumed that meant the first slight dip in daily case rate meant "mission accomplished!"

Last edited by a moderator:
In Illinois, "nobody get sick" might be the only way to "flatten the curve" going by the Daily New Cases graph.

At this point, though, the "flatten the curve" mantra is probably getting in the way. Too many assumed that meant the first slight dip in daily case rate meant "mission accomplished!"
Never been mission accomplished here. Just looking at the numbers; a steady, unending wave of COVID unlike any other state. Why is that? Is there a super COVID that only resides in IL?  

Illinois was the second state to declare COVID state of emergency and one of the very first with shelter in place orders. It also was one of the last states to reopen "non-essential" businesses. IL still has some of the strictest capacity limits in the nation. One of the earliest to adopt mask mandates. Tested over 7 million in a state of 12 million. Guess we're just unlucky here because apparently nothing works in IL.

Also, "flatten the curve" as it applied here originally referred to the hospitalization curve. They even spent millions to build a field hospital in McCormick Place in March that never saw a patient and the paid millions to take it down the next month. But you are correct; "flatten the curve" has now morphed into the flatten the case curve, ergo don't get sick.

I guess looking here at these stories I didn't realize how being in a red state things were quite so different in blue ones.

I'd taken my eye off the ball and simply assumed, that most districts/schools had at least some in-person at this point.  

https://twitter.com/VPrasadMDMPH/status/1318722840506429441/photo/1
Where you are in Texas, are all K-12 students back in school basically the same way it was before COVID? Or have some parents opted their kids out to choose virtual learning? Or have the some of the schools instituted hybrid plans where 1/2 the kids attend in-person 2 days a week, then the other 1/2 two other days? Anything like that going on in your neck of the woods?

I guess looking here at these stories I didn't realize how being in a red state things were quite so different in blue ones.

I'd taken my eye off the ball and simply assumed, that most districts/schools had at least some in-person at this point.  

As somebody says in the comments it's less red state/blue state and red region vs. blue region.  Some counties in metro Atlanta are still remote - some, like mine, are hybrid.

And I've gone back and forth on this - I think there's value to allowing local municipalities to control those decisions.  The problem is making sure all those groups are using the same metrics for decision making and to make sure those are driven by science* and not politics or emotions.

*And I say all science, not just infectious disease science.  This is a complex problem we have going on currently.  And ultimately a gap in leadership in a lot of cases.

Because all the reports I'm seeing in this thread of "Schools open for three months around here! No cases!" are from Tennessee and Georgia. And I know many Texans are big on "No one around here ever had COVID!"

If you tell me that blue-state school district cook the books in the other direction, I can buy it. But explain to me the mechanism -- they just treat sniffles as "gotta go on a ventilator, stat!" or something? How does case exaggeration work?
OK, so NY here, blue state. Our Schools started in early September with hybrid (2 days in school, 3 out) or all virtual. We've had a case here and a case there in our district and surrounding districts mostly in the jr high and HS buildings) where we would close for a day but then be back the next. 2 weeks for a neighboring district but that was because someone had a sweet 16 and a bunch of kids got it.

As for elementary, my son is in 5th and as of last week has gone back full time, 5 days a week with the rest of the school K-5th, district wide. Most neighboring districts are doing the same. 

Edit to add: my wife is a teacher in the same school as him

I'm not going to profess that I am watching every single case and district, nor am I a covid expert. But The Cuomo/Shummer vs Trump situation here is unbearable. They are like petulant babies taking shots at their unloving mother. Cuomo has the whole state on lock down. Businesses are getting killed because of the regulations and the backlash by any business owner openly supporting trump or speaking out against our Blue Governor. I am on the board of our chamber of commerce and our restaurant owners are telling us that inspectors would normally com in 1 or 2x a year are now coming in 2-3 times a day and handing out exorbitant fines and pulling liquor licenses. Our chamber president is on a task force in Albany with other local assemblymen trying to get some local control back to Long Island and he is not taking any of our calls.  Everyday Cuomo is on TV complaining about Trump and the Fed saying he is bankrupting the state while also not allowing the state businesses to operate and produce taxable income. 

There is just as much political gamesmanship being played in Blueville as there is anywhere else.

My daughter got sent home yesterday to quarantine for 2 weeks - "close contact with someone who tested positive".  She is fine so far.
WE got a call a few weeks ago saying the same thing. We tried to piece together who it was and started finding out that non of my daughters classmates were quarantined....then we got a call 24 hours later saying "sorry it was a mistake, your daughter is fine" 

that data is from July and at that, most of the cluster is at 1% or under. 

And again, thats pretty on par with my local school districts and I'm in NY, blue state. 

Where you are in Texas, are all K-12 students back in school basically the same way it was before COVID? Or have some parents opted their kids out to choose virtual learning? Or have the some of the schools instituted hybrid plans where 1/2 the kids attend in-person 2 days a week, then the other 1/2 two other days? Anything like that going on in your neck of the woods?
It varies, but by and large the grades K-8 are as before with masks.

Grades 9-12 is a little variable, some are hybrid by design, some have a lot of opt outs.  It's going well, except for the sub issues that are popping up here and there from cases that are generally attributed to being gathered outside of school.  

School district sent an email out today explaining that 27 confirmed positives spread through all the schools have caused a number of dominoes to fall. Too many teachers are out or in quarantine. A bunch of students quarantined as well. Our schools have been very open about their limitations. My kids look like they will be remote for two more weeks at a minimum.

Because all the reports I'm seeing in this thread of "Schools open for three months around here! No cases!" are from Tennessee and Georgia. And I know many Texans are big on "No one around here ever had COVID!"

If you tell me that blue-state school district cook the books in the other direction, I can buy it. But explain to me the mechanism -- they just treat sniffles as "gotta go on a ventilator, stat!" or something? How does case exaggeration work?
Anecdotal, but cases have been reported in schools in my county (also Middle TN, like flap). I'm not sure how many times it's happened. I know some were almost immediately after school started. IIRC the response was limited quarantining - basically putting a class or maybe a grade level into remote learning for a short amount of time, like a week or 2 maybe. Not sure if all the potentially exposed kids had to test negative in order to return.

We are shutting it down for a week.  We have 11 cases as I have reported up thread a ways.  Several Close contact quarantines.  All of this has stemmed from activities outside of school, but here we are.  Several parents have pulled their kids out to go online.  We have had about 50% of our students remote the last couple days mostly a result of self pull outs.  We plan to resume in person instruction Nov. 2nd with the hope that this little wave is behind us.

No schtick or gotcha:

Would you suspect that information about cases in schools (either students or staff) may be concealed? Would local school districts in your Tennessee be forthcoming and open about COVID infections in schools?

I can see having very low case counts in schools -- that's the case here, and the public schools are bending over backwards to report cases.

However, having no cases at all beggars belief. No chance the books are cooked?
That's a good question, but we would know about the interworkings of the school cases in our county. My wife works at my kids school. She's heard of no cases in any elementary school kids in our county but maybe a few in high school kids. There have been some cases with staff at some of the schools, but no more frequent than in the general population. 

No schtick or gotcha:

Would you suspect that information about cases in schools (either students or staff) may be concealed? Would local school districts in your Tennessee be forthcoming and open about COVID infections in schools?

I can see having very low case counts in schools -- that's the case here, and the public schools are bending over backwards to report cases.

However, having no cases at all beggars belief. No chance the books are cooked?
Im assuming he's in the Nashville area.... if so,  he's wrong.   My best friend loves in nolensville (sp?) and they've been in and out of in person since school started. There are enough cases to shut down class rooms and even entire grades

Im assuming he's in the Nashville area.... if so,  he's wrong.   My best friend loves in nolensville (sp?) and they've been in and out of in person since school started. There are enough cases to shut down class rooms and even entire grades
Yeah, I'm wrong. OK. Don't even know about the school district I live in and the one my wife works in, but you do because you know a guy in Nolensville who says differently. I live north of Nashville in Sumner County.  Nolensville is south and either Williamson or Davidson County.  We haven't missed any days.  I also work in the medical field and work with Covid patients on almost a daily basis, but I choose not to get involved in the threads on here about because I'll either get banned for my opinion by the whacko moderators or have to go back and forth with the crazy people on here who all seem to be experts on everything. Later 

Some real science, using genetics, on a cluster in Wisconsin associated with 3 universities in Wisconsin, and some spread, including deaths,  to vulnerable people beyond the students. After a quick read, I think the authors suggest frequent testing of students (my daughter in Boston was tested twice a week), continuation of masks and social distancing, and use of isolation dorms. They acknowledge the cost-benefit analysis is challenging.

SARS-CoV-2 sequencing reveals rapid transmission from college student clusters resulting in morbidity and deaths in vulnerable populations

Moving right along in middle TN.  School started back beginning of August in-person and no issues. 

Yeah, I'm wrong. OK. Don't even know about the school district I live in and the one my wife works in, but you do because you know a guy in Nolensville who says differently. I live north of Nashville in Sumner County.  Nolensville is south and either Williamson or Davidson County.  We haven't missed any days.  I also work in the medical field and work with Covid patients on almost a daily basis, but I choose not to get involved in the threads on here about because I'll either get banned for my opinion by the whacko moderators or have to go back and forth with the crazy people on here who all seem to be experts on everything. Later 
meh...you were vague and speaking for "middle TN"...I was just taking you for your words.  If you were only speaking of your school district, then say that...problem solved.  That's exactly why I used "if" in my statement....there are many school districts in "middle TN" who are having issues.  I provided one.  Have a ton of friends and family in that area.  Consider yourself lucky that your district happens to be the exception.  Rant and rave as you wish.  I was responding to the words YOU put on the internet.  Later

Moving right along in middle TN.  School started back beginning of August in-person and no issues. 

meh...you were vague and speaking for "middle TN"...I was just taking you for your words.  If you were only speaking of your school district, then say that...problem solved.  That's exactly why I used "if" in my statement....there are many school districts in "middle TN" who are having issues.  I provided one.  Have a ton of friends and family in that area.  Consider yourself lucky that your district happens to be the exception.  Rant and rave as you wish.  I was responding to the words YOU put on the internet.  Later
I live in the same county as Nolensville.  That county (Williamson) has been back from the start (K-2) with very little issue, and back about the 4th week of school for everyone else with just some pockets of isolation, and a couple of High Schools shutting down a few days early before Fall Break, but nothing to make it sound like the panic some of you guys are spouting.

Now, maybe it gets worse in the next few weeks?  I don't' know.  But the Elementary and Middle schools in this county have been chugging along with very little issue.  The High Schools have had a couple of hiccups, but nothing that serious.

I live in the same county as Nolensville.  That county (Williamson) has been back from the start (K-2) with very little issue, and back about the 4th week of school for everyone else with just some pockets of isolation, and a couple of High Schools shutting down a few days early before Fall Break, but nothing to make it sound like the panic some of you guys are spouting.

Now, maybe it gets worse in the next few weeks?  I don't' know.  But the Elementary and Middle schools in this county have been chugging along with very little issue.  The High Schools have had a couple of hiccups, but nothing that serious.
You quoted me, so I assume I'm part of "you guys"....there is nothing "panic" about stating that classes and entire grades have been shut down from time to time.  Just pointing out that it is NOT "no issues" in "middle TN".  That's all. It's probably help if we took the words as written and not lump a ton of other "stuff" on top of it.  We have a whole forum for that kind of stuff

I took flapgreen's "no issues" to mean "no cases". I suppose though, strictly, that a handful of scattered cases may not rise the level of "issues".

Kids school (K-8 private, 150 kids, most are in-person): went fully remote M-W this week due to a positive w/one student athlete. School had already planned on a fully remote day W (a practice remote day), so they decided to play it safe. Kids are back today and they intend to do 3 more fully remote days between now and christmas.

College I work for (1500 students, about half on campus): just announced we will be fully remote after thanksgiving. Given where the trends have been heading I expected this and am happy the powers that be made the announcement weeks in advance. 3 teams have had isolated positives requiring quarantine over these 2 months in school, but while I'm not sure on the exact # I think our total number of positives is just in the teens. 

We only had in-person school for K-1, and were about to add 2nd grade, but the county has now shut down all in-person learning due to the number of cases.  As mentioned above, it has nothing to do with positivity rate or hospitalizations, so as testing becomes easier and widely available, it is nearly impossible for us to hit the metrics that were put in place in July.   Unless the county health department changes its protocols, I don't see how any schools can re-open without a mandatory vaccine.

Trying to find a silver lining here, but one positive that came out of the distance learning is that, due to the smoke and wind here in Orange County, it was relatively easy for all of the schools to go remote today for the kids that were coming in  (vs. canceling or keeping kids cooped up inside all day). The bad part of course is now we have to stay on wildfire watch as we have two fires relatively close to us (though neither of those are a current threat to us personally, though we know plenty of people that were evacuated), but keeping an eye on a new one reported this AM not far from our kids school which is where the Canyon 2 fire was a couple years ago, so hoping that was either a false report or gets knocked out quickly. Fortunately the wind has died down significantly from yesterday.

I’m in Boone County, IN, just north of Indy. K-4 has been 5 days/week in person since school started in early August. 5-12 start hybrid (2 days in person), then went full time at the end of September.  As of Friday there were 5 kids out due to Covid in a district of ~5,000 students. However the county has been on the uptick in cases and 5-12 is close to going back to hybrid.  

Our school had a homecoming ceremony last night at a church (where it's normally held each year).  Students were not allowed to attend this year. Families were. They live streamed it for everyone to watch. I'd estimate there were 100-150 people in there. Mostly parents but I did see a few gray-haireds in attendance as well. Zero social distancing. Zero masks. :wall:  

Our school had a homecoming ceremony last night at a church (where it's normally held each year).  Students were not allowed to attend this year. Families were. They live streamed it for everyone to watch. I'd estimate there were 100-150 people in there. Mostly parents but I did see a few gray-haireds in attendance as well. Zero social distancing. Zero masks. :wall:  
Are those families going home to those students, perchance?

Are those families going home to those students, perchance?
I wasn't clear, sorry. Only families of those who had a child in the ceremony (i.e. either on the homecoming court, or an escort of a maid) were allowed to attend. Other students or families were not allowed to attend. My main issue with it is the church that hosted it is HUGE. They easily could have spread out and done every other row across multiple sections wide. They did not. And zero masks either. Just seemed to me that they could've taken a little more precaution. They appeared to take none for those in attendance. 

I wasn't clear, sorry. Only families of those who had a child in the ceremony (i.e. either on the homecoming court, or an escort of a maid) were allowed to attend. Other students or families were not allowed to attend. My main issue with it is the church that hosted it is HUGE. They easily could have spread out and done every other row across multiple sections wide. They did not. And zero masks either. Just seemed to me that they could've taken a little more precaution. They appeared to take none for those in attendance. 
That's ridiculous.

What I'm seeing locally (MN) is most middle/high schools are now transitioning from hybrid to full-time distance learning by around November 20th. The elementary kids will mostly keep going to the school building, but likely not for long given our current #s. Many vocal parents, of course, are freaking out an complaining that "we're destroying our children", that "the kids aren't the ones getting sick" and "we need to do EVERYTHING WE CAN to keep kids in schools".  Yet these are the very same people who whine about mask use and complain about "losing freedoms"...they want it both ways, of course. The only way to keep kids in schools is to keep community COVID #s down - yet the most vocal parents wanting kids in schools refuse to participate in efforts to stop the spread. It's just maddening.

From what I can tell around here (conservative county), most kids are still getting together socially and parents are still going to bars, hosting/attending parties, weddings, etc. Until a large majority of our MN suburban population decides to take mitigation efforts seriously, we'll just keep barely treading water (at best). Kids being distance-learning for the remainder of the year here seems like a foregone conclusion. (Note - our #s in a conservative suburb/county (anti-mask) are significantly worse than the #s in more liberal (mask-wearing) Minneapolis/St. Paul. 

We chose distance learning for both my HS boys this year. It isn't ideal as some teachers are WAY more effective in this format than others, but we're making it work. That said, I fully realize just how difficult it must be for parents who work outside the home, single parents, families without reliable wi-fi or anyone with young elementary aged kids. I feel truly awful for those families/kids for which distance learning is so difficult. Unfortunately, the only way to solve that is to get the kids back into the school building and the only way to do that is for the "adults" to care enough to sacrifice their social calendars and to mask up. Ugh.

What I'm seeing locally (MN) is most middle/high schools are now transitioning from hybrid to full-time distance learning by around November 20th.
Just a quick update that as of last Friday, our school district confirmed we would go to all distance learning as of November 23rd (the beginning of 2nd quarter).  Today - just three days later - we received an e-mail stating that distance learning for all Middle and HS students starts this Thursday, November 12th. Things are getting serious in MN.

The HS and MS kids who chose in person at my district got shut down for a week long of online only. I would not be surprised if this ends up being much longer than a week though. 

Our school district ran a 3 week campaign to get as many healthy people to go get tested so our positive rate would drop below the threshold so the brick kids could go back starting today. It worked. Over the past 2 hours we have received 3 emails stating that a positive was in the school today. I don’t know details because if my kids were exposed we would have received the phone call letting us know and quarantining our kids. 

Cooking the books to go back. Who could have predicted it would backfire?

Cold Dead Hands said:
Our school district ran a 3 week campaign to get as many healthy people to go get tested so our positive rate would drop below the threshold so the brick kids could go back starting today. It worked. Over the past 2 hours we have received 3 emails stating that a positive was in the school today. I don’t know details because if my kids were exposed we would have received the phone call letting us know and quarantining our kids. 

Cooking the books to go back. Who could have predicted it would backfire?
Our school isn't even considering being in the same classroom as a kid that tested positive as a close contact. Their reasoning is that everyone is supposed to be at least 6 feet apart, so there is not close contact for 15 minutes or more, thus no need to tell people. Right now, when there is a confirmed positive there is an email to the entire school (that does not identify the class it was in) that says if you were considered a low risk exposure, you will get a separate email, and if you are high risk, you will get a call letting you know your kid needs to quarantine for 14 days.

Not everyone in a class is considered even low risk, so only a few kids get that email, and very few get the phone call.

Even the staff is not informed of what class it is in.

There have been many complaints about this process - I'm curious to see if at the very least they will start informing everyone from the class, but I'm not holding my breath.

Our school isn't even considering being in the same classroom as a kid that tested positive as a close contact. Their reasoning is that everyone is supposed to be at least 6 feet apart, so there is not close contact for 15 minutes or more, thus no need to tell people. Right now, when there is a confirmed positive there is an email to the entire school (that does not identify the class it was in) that says if you were considered a low risk exposure, you will get a separate email, and if you are high risk, you will get a call letting you know your kid needs to quarantine for 14 days.

Not everyone in a class is considered even low risk, so only a few kids get that email, and very few get the phone call.

Even the staff is not informed of what class it is in.

There have been many complaints about this process - I'm curious to see if at the very least they will start informing everyone from the class, but I'm not holding my breath.
This is what DeVos and Trump came up with.  The 15 in 6 rule was their creation and is in use for a lot of areas to try to limit the amount of missed school.  

My youngest is still out on a 15 and 6 but my oldest went back after a negative test 5 days from secondary contact.  

Fun

A good chunk of kids today are taking the next two weeks off of in person to quarantine for grandmas.

The sad part here is the district is reporting almost none of the contract tracing they or the county health department has done indicates we have any transmission issues in school. The week before Halloween our Superintendent sent a message to the parents saying it’s things like parties, sleepovers, etc that are causing the spikes and it’s threatening the continuation of face to face school. Since then our cases have been increasing and all our middle school and high schools have been closed by the health department for this week. 

The sad part here is the district is reporting almost none of the contract tracing they or the county health department has done indicates we have any transmission issues in school. The week before Halloween our Superintendent sent a message to the parents saying it’s things like parties, sleepovers, etc that are causing the spikes and it’s threatening the continuation of face to face school.
They've identified the same thing in MN.

Neat milestone today, every single one of my youngest kids teachers taught from home today.   Most from direct exposure to positive kids last week, one is actually positive. 

Oops. 

Numbers in Ohio are shooting up at record pace.  Our school is still chugging on...currently 4 positive cases and about 25 contact quarantines.  We went remote for a week earlier when we got up to 11 cases and around 90 ish in quarantine.  That earlier outbreak transpired in the wake of a 4 day weekend where a number of parties took place.  Our current cases seem to be transmitted to kids via parent positives.  There really hasn't been any spread attributable to being at school specifically.  The administration is talking about proactively going remote again across the district for the week following Thanksgiving to keep the potential holiday outbreak from infiltrating the schools.

Its not making much news around here, but we've had a few HS's shut down for a few days here.  One small private elementary school shut down too that I know of. 

There's been talks of just shutting and/or doing virtual school around here and not coming back after Thanksgiving.  I'm all for that.  Thanksgiving this year seems like a disaster waiting to happen.   My family and my wife's family are both planning Thanksgiving as usual.  We're both siting around like, "WTF, we're really doing Thanksgiving this year? " 

jb1020 said:
My family and my wife's family are both planning Thanksgiving as usual.  We're both siting around like, "WTF, we're really doing Thanksgiving this year? " 
I sure wouldn't.  It won't kill anyone to miss one dinner.

And then there’s the district I live in where they sent kindergarten and first grade students back for the first time this year on Monday and Elementary and Middle School scheduled to start in person next Monday. Other districts in the area that have been in person are pulling back and going virtual and ours is diving in.

I sympathize with them in that I’m sure that reversing course and staying virtual at the last minute would send a lot of people in a tizzy, but finally sending kids back in person when everything is going south and other districts are going virtual seems like and even worse choice.

New freak-out at my school, one of the teachers who is also pregnant tested + as part of her baby checkup.   Not good.  

They keep sending out notes with the gist of "Please don't doxx positives" but the info spreads faster than they notify.  

Users who are viewing this thread