What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (3 Viewers)

Thought about throwing the uncooked pasta in at the end but didn't think there was enough liquid in there.

Also hate soggy over cooked pasta so I just made that on the side and put the shredded chicken mix over the pasta and then mixed it up.

Made a simple Pot Roast yesterday. 3.5 lb Chuck Roast2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup1 pkg. onion soup mix1.5 cups waterI had about a quarter of an onion in the fridge and threw that in too.5 hours on high. Didn't have the time for a low cook but probably will do 8 hrs. on low next time.Used some flour to thicken gravy, served over egg noodles with asparagus on the side. :thumbup:
Lazy Man's Italian Beef3-5 lb Chuck RoastJar of Hot GiardineraVidalia OnionsDash of Olive OilCrock PotSlice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.
dot
This thread doesn't egt enough love.Trying one of these for this Sunday - anybody attempt either one. Would appreciate any feedback

Right now I have Italian herb chicken in there.4 big chicken breasts and a pack of mushrooms.I mixed a small can of tomato paste w 2 small cans of diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.It's looking and smelling great. Will toss it with some pasta. Bingo bango
Don't walk, run to the store to buy the ingredients for this.Wow this is good
Made this yesterday for my family of 5. Started at 9 am - by 3 pm the chicken was falling apart - left it on "warm" for the final 2 hours.The perfect Sunday football meal. Easy and very good. All 3 of my picky kids couldn't get enough of it. There were no leftovers.Thanks for posting the recipe.
I'm going to try this tomorrow, but wanted to confirm the recipe.4 big chicken breast (can you put them in frozen?)Mushrooms1 can (80z) tomato paste w 2 small cans of diced tomatoesgarliconionsoregano,basilsaltpepperHow long do you cook it for? TIA

Right now I have Italian herb chicken in there.4 big chicken breasts and a pack of mushrooms.I mixed a small can of tomato paste w 2 small cans of diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.It's looking and smelling great. Will toss it with some pasta. Bingo bango
Made this yesterday for my family of 5. Started at 9 am - by 3 pm the chicken was falling apart - left it on "warm" for the final 2 hours.The perfect Sunday football meal. Easy and very good. All 3 of my picky kids couldn't get enough of it. There were no leftovers.Thanks for posting the recipe.
I'm going to try this tomorrow, but wanted to confirm the recipe.4 big chicken breast (can you put them in frozen?)Mushrooms1 can (80z) tomato paste w 2 small cans of diced tomatoesgarliconionsoregano,basilsaltpepperHow long do you cook it for? TIA
I didn't put them in frozen - I'd defrost first.Was ready in 6 hours - added another 2 hours on "warm"

Made a simple Pot Roast yesterday. 3.5 lb Chuck Roast2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup1 pkg. onion soup mix1.5 cups waterI had about a quarter of an onion in the fridge and threw that in too.5 hours on high. Didn't have the time for a low cook but probably will do 8 hrs. on low next time.Used some flour to thicken gravy, served over egg noodles with asparagus on the side. :thumbup:
Lazy Man's Italian Beef3-5 lb Chuck RoastJar of Hot GiardineraVidalia OnionsDash of Olive OilCrock PotSlice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.
dot
This thread doesn't egt enough love.Trying one of these for this Sunday - anybody attempt either one. Would appreciate any feedback
Definitely go with the 2nd. Its been posted in several variations. Super easy and super good. You can skip the "dash of olive oil", no one will ever know. Also, might want to go with a jar of banana peppers unless you've got a giardinera that you know you like. Using one that you dont like will ruin the whole thing.

dot
Definitely go with the 2nd. Its been posted in several variations. Super easy and super good. You can skip the "dash of olive oil", no one will ever know. Also, might want to go with a jar of banana peppers unless you've got a giardinera that you know you like. Using one that you dont like will ruin the whole thing.
Thanks for the banana pepper recommendation - will definitely try those.Hardly any liquid in this - it will not dry out?Also - does the roast need to be seared first before putting into the crock?

Last edited by a moderator:
dot
Thanks for the banana pepper recommendation - will definitely try those.Hardly any liquid in this - it will not dry out?Also - does the roast need to be seared first before putting into the crock?
always good to sear before crocking

dot
Throw in all the liquid with the banana peppers. I also add in some beef broth and water to nearly or fully cover the meat. If it does not fully cover, flip the meet over a time or two during the cooking process.

'=Smackdown= said:
'E-Z Glider said:
'=Smackdown= said:
dot
Just the roast + juice from giardinia/peppers. No need to add any additional liquid or flip while cooking or anything. You can sear if you like, it might make a couple of the pieces better. Of course, so would grilling and smoking would be even better yet, but the crock is all about ease for me. Throw it all in and when its done, you just it pull, throw out the fat chunks, and the rest will just fall to pieces.

Anybody firing up something good for the weekend? Going to the market soon... not sure what I'm in the mood for.
Got a jar of Soy Vay Teriyaki Sauce. Comes in a Blue and White Bottle. Get a package of that Brocolli Slaw they sell w the packaged lettuce. And a can of crushed pineapple,Add chicken to the whole bottle of teriyaki and a can of crushed pineapple. With an hour left, add the Brocolli slaw and shred the chix and serve over rice.Someone posted this earlier in the thread, but I added the pineapple. At the very least you need pineapple juice or it's way too salty to bear.

No problem taste-wise getting the teriyaki sauce all over the broccoli?
Not at all. I add the Brocolli slaw to the crockpot with an hour to go. It's sliced so thin, that you can hardly tell the difference between the Brocolli and the shredded chicken.I'll warn ya, this is super salty. Have a gallon of water next to you in bed,

Anybody firing up something good for the weekend? Going to the market soon... not sure what I'm in the mood for.
Got a jar of Soy Vay Teriyaki Sauce. Comes in a Blue and White Bottle. Get a package of that Brocolli Slaw they sell w the packaged lettuce. And a can of crushed pineapple,

Add chicken to the whole bottle of teriyaki and a can of crushed pineapple. With an hour left, add the Brocolli slaw and shred the chix and serve over rice.

Someone posted this earlier in the thread, but I added the pineapple. At the very least you need pineapple juice or it's way too salty to bear.
Um, wouldn't it just be easier to use less Teriyaki sauce? I am not familar with Soy Vay but an entire jar seems like overkill (although I must mention that I use very little salt in my cooking, so perhaps that is not too much for the average person).

Got a jar of Soy Vay Teriyaki Sauce. Comes in a Blue and White Bottle. Get a package of that Brocolli Slaw they sell w the packaged lettuce. And a can of crushed pineapple,

Add chicken to the whole bottle of teriyaki and a can of crushed pineapple. With an hour left, add the Brocolli slaw and shred the chix and serve over rice.

Someone posted this earlier in the thread, but I added the pineapple. At the very least you need pineapple juice or it's way too salty to bear.
Um, wouldn't it just be easier to use less Teriyaki sauce? I am not familar with Soy Vay but an entire jar seems like overkill (although I must mention that I use very little salt in my cooking, so perhaps that is not too much for the average person).
Ya. I like the chicken completely submerged in the flavor when cooking tho.

What is liquid smoke? For those recipes using it, is it important?
It adds a nice smoky flavor to the dish. Be warned though, use it sparingly because it is potent. It can be found in the BBQ sauce/marinade section of the store.
I find it's completely unnecessary, but some folks swear by it.
I love liquid smoke. I love liquid smoke on my pork butts. I love it on briskets. And I take liquid smoke and put a little bit in my hair when I've had a rough week.I'm usually a bit generous with it when doing pork or beef in the crock. For me it's just as much about the aroma as it is the flavor.

I want to do some chicken on the bone w/ skin tomorrow. About to search some recipes. Any ideas?

I suggested pineapple. Here are some of the others things I use to offset the saltiness:A little bit of sriracha can help, but I like a small kick.

I have used a small amount of maple syrup or a similar substitute...

I plan to keep experimenting with these til I get it just right.

Mrs Ref - so for Christmas you plan to make pulled pork and Clam Cowdah right?

Me - Um, sure I guess but I can only really cook one thng because I only have one crock pot.

Mrs Ref - Yeah well Momma Ref is getting you another Crock Pot for Christmas and she is going to give it to you Christmas Eve, so your making both.

Mrs Ref - so for Christmas you plan to make pulled pork and Clam Cowdah right?Me - Um, sure I guess but I can only really cook one thng because I only have one crock pot.Mrs Ref - Yeah well Momma Ref is getting you another Crock Pot for Christmas and she is going to give it to you Christmas Eve, so your making both.
Nice

'Kleck said:
I want to do some chicken on the bone w/ skin tomorrow. About to search some recipes. Any ideas?
Have to think cooking low and slow is not good for the skin. May turn into rubber.

First time using a slow cooker. After seeing this thread, I had to buy one. Got the lazy man's pulled pork going now, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Should be ready for the game tonight.

Thanks to all who have contributed recipes and tips. Can't wait to try them out :thumbsup:

'Instinctive said:

I suggested pineapple. Here are some of the others things I use to offset the saltiness:A little bit of sriracha can help, but I like a small kick.

It came out perfectly with the pineapple juice.I know this isn't popular, but I can't stand maple syrup or maple flavored anything. I hate hate hate maple.

'Instinctive said:

It came out perfectly with the pineapple juice.I know this isn't popular, but I can't stand maple syrup or maple flavored anything. I hate hate hate maple.
You can use similar substitutes - the point is just something that's think, and sweet. Use very little - like a teaspoon - and mix it with your other liquid beforehand, then pour all the liquids in together on top of the chicken. I can't taste the maple or anything at all when I do it, but it does seem less salty.

What is liquid smoke? For those recipes using it, is it important?
It adds a nice smoky flavor to the dish. Be warned though, use it sparingly because it is potent. It can be found in the BBQ sauce/marinade section of the store.
I find it's completely unnecessary, but some folks swear by it.
I love liquid smoke. I love liquid smoke on my pork butts. I love it on briskets. And I take liquid smoke and put a little bit in my hair when I've had a rough week.I'm usually a bit generous with it when doing pork or beef in the crock. For me it's just as much about the aroma as it is the flavor.
:sick:

Approximate amount of: garlic, onions, oregano, basil, salt and pepper?
The small can of tomato paste I bought came with garlic & oregano in it.The 2 small cans of diced tomatos I bought were also flavored with garlic & oregano.I still chopped up about 3-4 cloves of garlic and threw that in.I chopped up one medium size yellow onion and threw that in.One pack of sliced regular mushrooms.Pinch of basil, salt & pepper.Came out really good and the chicken was not dried out.
I kind of modified the McCormick recipe:1 pkg. McCormick Italian Herb Chicken Seasoning Mix2 to 2 1/2 lbs. chicken1 pkg. (8 oz.) fresh mushrooms, halved or sliced2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed tomatoes, undrained1 can (6 oz.) tomato pasteDIRECTIONS1. PLACE chicken and mushrooms in slow cooker.2. MIX Seasoning Mix, tomatoes and tomato paste until blended. Pour over chicken and mushrooms. Cover.3. COOK 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH.It was amazing. I used 6 big chicken breast (about 4 1/2 pounds), which meant I doubled the above recipe. I used Italian Stewed Tomatoes with the basil and oregano in it. I forgot to blend it and just threw it all in the pot. However, after cooking it approx 7 hours, I used a potato masher and kinds of shredded the chicken and tomatoes a bit. I served it over pasta and it turned out amazing. We have had leftovers all week. Tonight,I actually filled some regular tortillias with this and it was interesting. I began to think this would make an interesting meal say with some of the different flavored tortillias that they make these days.

First time using a slow cooker. After seeing this thread, I had to buy one. Got the lazy man's pulled pork going now, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Should be ready for the game tonight.Thanks to all who have contributed recipes and tips. Can't wait to try them out :thumbsup:
results?Saving another LMPP for the Super Bowl.

The one I made was excellent, even better as a leftover.

Make yourself a pot roast in the slow cooker with whatever cut of beef you want along with the carrots, onions, corn, etc...and when it is done serve it in a baked potato.

Hollow out some good size bakers, fill with the pot roast you prepared, and take the remaining potato mixture that from the hollowed out bakers and whip them and pipe them atop the stuffed bakers.

Did this over the weekend. It seemed very watery until I shredded the chicken, then it was just right. Served it over rice.

Any tips or suggestions for a good brown gravy for over beef in a crock pot? Also, when is the best time to add the gravy? I'm thinking if you put it in at the start it would just be watery.

Made this last week and it turned out quite good. I'll be making it again. :thumbup:

Made this last week and it turned out quite good. I'll be making it again. :thumbup:
Thinking about firing this up on Xmas.

Any tips or suggestions for a good brown gravy for over beef in a crock pot? Also, when is the best time to add the gravy? I'm thinking if you put it in at the start it would just be watery.
Condensed cream of mushroom soup :thumbup:The juices from the beef will run into the liquid and it'll make a nice brown gravy. You can always add a bit of water after to get to your desired consistency

First time using a slow cooker. After seeing this thread, I had to buy one. Got the lazy man's pulled pork going now, seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Should be ready for the game tonight.Thanks to all who have contributed recipes and tips. Can't wait to try them out :thumbsup:
Lazy man pulled pork is the Cadillac of slow cooker recipes.

Yep. I inserted it into the OP. It's earned the honor.

Oh, I know it. Just love to hear the responses towards it.

I agree that LMPP is the king of the recipes in this thread.

Here's my "go-to" - Beef Stew:

8 hours on low with following ingredients:

4.5 lbs. stew beef (cubed)

2 onions

6 red potatoes (cubed)

1 bag small carrots

2 McCormick beef stew seasoning packets

2 1/2 cups water

1 tsp Garlic powder (shaken on top)

Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water (mix is thoroughly). Pour into slow cooker. Shake garlic powder on top.

For those wondering, the beef itself will generate all the fluids you want/need with this. It's amazing.

Question:One of my staples is putting a chuck roast into the pot with baby carrots, potatoes and letting it simmer on low for 8 hours in the onion soup mix. It's an incredible meal, as the roast just falls apart. But I'm getting REALLY sick of the onion soup. Is there something else I can use for a tasty stock to shake things up a bit? Thanks.
McCormick beef stew seasoning packets; I'd suggest 2 of them.

In the crock pot now. Added fresh mushrooms and a white onion on the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread