What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (1 Viewer)

Takes too long to heat up. Food stays in the bacteria growing danger zone for an extended period.
I don't know if that makes any sense. We put raw chicken in there and cook it for hours. That doesn't make people sick. I doubt reheating food is any different. Just takes too long and I don't see why anyone would do it. 

Well most sites say reheating food in a slow cooker is not a good idea for the exact reason you said. I'm not gonna pretend to understand why. I guess they assume people reheat for only an hour or two but cook for 6-8 hours thus the difference. I guess that makes sense. Well I'll never do it anyway. Thanks for being the guinea pig. 

EYLive said:
I just dumped 4 pounds of cubed chicken breast, 4 russet potatoes cubed, chopped garlic, handful of chopped carrots, 24 oz of tomato sauce, a big splash of beef broth (ran out of chicken broth), sprinkled dried oregano, garlic salt and basil. Set on low for 6 hours.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. :oldunsure:   
Well, the potatoes and carrots are on the crispy side. Next time I won't use dense root vegetables, maybe onions and peppers next time.

Made a delicious chicken stew.

2 chicken breast cubed

3 potatoes cubed

3 carrots sliced

2 celery stalks sliced

Onion powder to taste

Salt and pepper

8 oz tomato sauce

1 cup chicken broth 

Cook on low for 7 hours

Add bag of frozen peas and cook an additional hour

Freaking delicious and healthy. Serve over rice if you want (I don't) and I also put Frank's red hot on top. 

If you're new here and don't want to browse multiple pages, these first two recipes seem to have won the thread.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork:

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder
Can of Coke
Dash of Liquid Smoke
Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder,

shred,and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to

crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.

==============

Frosty's Shredded Italian Beef:

3-5 lb. roast of your choosing. I did a 3 lb. sirloin roast
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1 t onion powder
1 t parsley
1 t garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 0.7 oz packets of italian dressing mix
3 c. beef broth
1/2 t red pepper flakes

mix everything except the roast in a pot and bring to a boil
put roast in slow cooker and add all that boiled stuff
cover and cook on low 10-12 hours (or high 4-5 hours) - I did low for 11 hours
remove bay leaf and shred beef, return to crock pot for 30-60 min
Chuck Roast on sale here for 3.59 a lb

Feels like fall here this wkend.  Frosty's italian beef in the crock tomorrow 

:thumbup:

ive been making chicken and pork tinga in the slow cooker lately.  

3 lbs of either chicken thighs or pork butt.  

1 lb or several links of uncooked chorizo sausage.

1-2 turnips

Cube and brown chicken or pork on stovetop then add to crockpot.  Then take chorizo out of casings, add to stovetop and brown, then add to crockpot.  Dice turnips and add to crockpot.  To stovetop pan add some olive oil and a yellow onion diced.  Cook for 5 minutes on medium and add small can of chipotles in adobo, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tablespoons each of oregano, marjoram and thyme.  stir and cook 5 minutes.  add this mixture to a blender, along with a can of diced tomatoes, plain or dolled up rotel.  Liquify and add to crockpot.  Cook high for 5-6, or low 8 hours.  Shred in pot about half way during cooking.

Any kind of shell and garnish with cilantro, lime and cotija.  my wife likes radishes too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made this yesterday, had a couple of packs of chicken in the frig I had to use so I found this quick and easy recipe. It literally is just a chicken and noodle casserole. Nothing fancy, but easy and pretty good!  It is even better the next day after it cools and becomes more like a casserole and less like soup. 

https://belleofthekitchen.com/2017/03/09/crockpot-chicken-noodles/

Ingredients

1 1/2- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 cans (or boxes) cream of chicken soup, 10.5 oz each (don't add water)

1-2 tsp dried parsley

½ tsp seasoned salt

¼ tsp poultry seasoning

¼ tsp garlic powder

1/2 stick butter, sliced

3 1/2 cups chicken broth

8 oz. egg noodles, uncooked

Instructions

Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot, then top with the soups (no water added) and sprinkle with the spices. Add butter slices to the top, and pour in the chicken broth.

Cook over low heat for 5-6 hours, or high heat for 3-4 hours. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred into large chunks with two forks.

Add the shredded chicken back to the pot along with the dry egg noodles and stir. Continue cooking for 30-45 minutes, until noodles are tender. Enjoy!

I'm sure they're great, and convenient.

But there's something enjoyable about having something slow cooking all day, filling the house with the smell of good food, especially in the winter imo
IMO they both taste the same when done.

I agree though..on a Sunday I love letting things cook and simmer all day.  What I like is during the week  I can turn a lean tough bottom round into a tender beef stew in 30 minutes.

Nugget said:
Instant Pot is easy for the weekend.  Everything is done in less than 20 minutes.
I just want to say, if you're not watching the No Pressure/Extra Crispy channel on YouTube, you should be. Delightfully insane (albeit in small doses).

Cowboysfan8 said:
I'm sure they're great, and convenient.

But there's something enjoyable about having something slow cooking all day, filling the house with the smell of good food, especially in the winter imo
Agreed!

Broke mine out for Sat.  Had a busy day, but also quite a few people coming over for dinner.  Seared a bunch of meatballs, tossed them in the slow cooker with some homemade sauce, a little red wine and man, they were sooooooooooo good.  Had 48 meatballs in there.  Just one left over.  :thumbup:

I agree that LMPP is the king of the recipes in this thread.

Here's my "go-to" - Beef Stew:

8 hours on low with following ingredients:

4.5 lbs. stew beef (cubed)

2 onions

6 red potatoes (cubed)

1 bag small carrots

2 McCormick beef stew seasoning packets

2 1/2 cups water

1 tsp Garlic powder (shaken on top)

Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water (mix is thoroughly). Pour into slow cooker. Shake garlic powder on top.

For those wondering, the beef itself will generate all the fluids you want/need with this. It's amazing.
Bumping this and trying it tomorrow!  TIA

It is pretty cool to read through this thread and realize that this thread is several years old and has a ton of gems in it although LMPP is still the king. 

Making- crock pot Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts as we speak.....

1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast (I am cooking four bigger breasts so I added more of the below)

3 tablespoons minced garlic

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup soy sauce 

2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (i have always wanted to cook with this stuff. It is in the Oriental food section at Walmart.)

1/2 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)

Throw everything in the pot except the cornstarch--let cook for 5 hours or so on low. Take out the chicken and shred it. Before putting the chicken back in, put the cornstarch in the pot and whisk it with the sauce until it dissolved.  Put chicken back in and serve it in like 30 minutes. 

I am doing a cheesy tater-tot bake in the oven and some green beans on the side.  

Finish it off with a chocolate cake and my family is having a good Sunday night meal (luckily we did our hike/walk earlier today 😃)

I really wish I could win the lottery because  I would love to stay home and cook everyday. I did the crock pot All-Recipe's Cheeseburger Soup recipe last weekend and that was a big hit as well.

dutch oven serves the same function, no?
Time-wise, maybe, but a slow-cooker traps all of the moisture because of the lid.  The recipe you linked calls for cooking uncovered in a low oven, which will still cook off some liquid.

I don't think you'd ever get that crust on top in a slow-cooker.

@Binky The Doormat- the other type of dutch oven doesn't work nearly as well uncovered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made this yesterday. It's shockingly good for something so healthy and easy.

Winter Detox Moroccan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces

1 cup carrots, chopped

1 cup onions, chopped

1 cup celery, chopped

1 red bell pepper, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 ½ cups green or brown lentils, rinsed and picked over

1 ½ teaspoon EACH coriander AND cumin powder

1 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)

½ teaspoon EACH smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, AND turmeric

⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg

6-7 cups low sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)

2 ½ cups baby spinach, roughly chopped

¼ cup lemon juice or lemon wedges for serving

DIRECTIONS:

Place the sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, lentils, spices, and 6 cups of broth into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Check the lentils for doneness. If you’re lentils have been in the pantry for a while, note that they’ll take a bit longer to cook through.

Place half the soup into a blender along with a little additional broth (½ cup or so) and blend till smoothish. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender directly in the slow cooker but be sure to not blend all of the soup if you want it to have a chunkier texture. Add the puree back into the slow cooker. Stir in the baby spinach and lemon juice. Cover the slow cooker, unplug it, and allow the ingredients to just hang out for 30 minutes or so until the spinach wilts down.

Season with salt, pepper and curry powder to taste as desired. Thin with additional broth to desired consistency. Serve warm with whipped greek yogurt, fried pita bread, and tons of fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro) on top!

NOTES:

*MORE PROTEIN* You can sauté 1 pound of ground lamb, beef, chicken, or turkey and add it in with all the other ingredients to the slow cooker for a more protein-filled meal – note that you may need a little bit more of each of the seasonings to balance flavors when adding protein.

Planning a chicken thighs with creamy mushroom over egg noodles today.

Pulled pork for Sunday's game for, I think, the 5th year in a row.

Beef Stew in the crock pot now - benefits of working from home this week; 

I may have to try both of the recipes listed on this page so far.   Not a fan of cold weather, but using the crock pot at this time of year is pretty hard to beat. 

Wondering how Frosty's "Italian Beef" recipe would work with pork shoulder - "Italian Pork".

I love the beef seasoning, but my wife has some food sensitivities that include beef but not :porked:  

Made this yesterday. It's shockingly good for something so healthy and easy.

Winter Detox Moroccan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces

1 cup carrots, chopped

1 cup onions, chopped

1 cup celery, chopped

1 red bell pepper, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 ½ cups green or brown lentils, rinsed and picked over

1 ½ teaspoon EACH coriander AND cumin powder

1 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)

½ teaspoon EACH smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, AND turmeric

⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg

6-7 cups low sodium broth (vegetable or chicken)

2 ½ cups baby spinach, roughly chopped

¼ cup lemon juice or lemon wedges for serving

DIRECTIONS:

Place the sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, lentils, spices, and 6 cups of broth into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Check the lentils for doneness. If you’re lentils have been in the pantry for a while, note that they’ll take a bit longer to cook through.

Place half the soup into a blender along with a little additional broth (½ cup or so) and blend till smoothish. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender directly in the slow cooker but be sure to not blend all of the soup if you want it to have a chunkier texture. Add the puree back into the slow cooker. Stir in the baby spinach and lemon juice. Cover the slow cooker, unplug it, and allow the ingredients to just hang out for 30 minutes or so until the spinach wilts down.

Season with salt, pepper and curry powder to taste as desired. Thin with additional broth to desired consistency. Serve warm with whipped greek yogurt, fried pita bread, and tons of fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro) on top!

NOTES:

*MORE PROTEIN* You can sauté 1 pound of ground lamb, beef, chicken, or turkey and add it in with all the other ingredients to the slow cooker for a more protein-filled meal – note that you may need a little bit more of each of the seasonings to balance flavors when adding protein.
Made this last night...very good :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread