What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Curtis Martin (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Contract from InsideTheStats:

2006 6,216,667

2007 4,351,667

2008 5,150,000

2009 6,000,000

I figure it's likely Mangini+co don't want to pay Curtis 6 mil in 2006 so what do you think will happen with this future HOFer?

2006 6,216,667

2007 4,351,667

2008 5,150,000

2009 6,000,000

I figure it's likely Mangini+co don't want to pay Curtis 6 mil in 2006 so what do you think will happen with this future HOFer?
I believe they plan on restructuring. He said at the end of the season that he was prepared for a rookie to come in and split time.I look for the Jets to hopefully grab Calhoun in the second (depending on where they go with the 4th pick)

They'll either restructure or cut and re-sign (like they did with Marvin Jones a few years back). Martin will be on the Jets in 2006.

Hopefully it ends like this:

He compares Bettis' final days to E. George's and takes the pay cut to remain with the Jets. I would not blame him if he refused a pay cut, I just hope he stays for selfish reasons as a Jets fan.

I guess I can't imagine the Jets would keep him at his current salary.

Hopefully it ends like this:

He compares Bettis' final days to E. George's and takes the pay cut to remain with the Jets. I would not blame him if he refused a pay cut, I just hope he stays for selfish reasons as a Jets fan.

I guess I can't imagine the Jets would keep him at his current salary.
I feel very confident that Martin will end his career with the Jets.

2006 6,216,667

2007 4,351,667

2008 5,150,000

2009 6,000,000

I believe they plan on restructuring. He said at the end of the season that he was prepared for a rookie to come in and split time.I look for the Jets to hopefully grab Calhoun in the second (depending on where they go with the 4th pick)
if you look above there is 21 mil (roughly)over the next 4 years. Isn't that too large an amount to restructure? What are they gonna do? Throw him a few mil and then extend it to a 10 year deal to spread it out? He won't be there in 10 years and they'd "eat that" when he retires. Well don't ya think it's too large to restructure?

Why?He's always wanted to play in Pittsburgh. Could you imagine him returning to his hometown area? He has donated a ton of money to the area and spent alot of time working with youth from the P'burgh area during his career.

Why is it that no one even considers Cedric Houston to share the load with Martin next year . He played well on a ####ty team at the ned of the season.

Why would they draft a guy like Calhoun ( they dont reallt need a third down bacn they already have Blaylock )

Cause dont fool yourself , Calhoun is no more than a third down back.

Why?He's always wanted to play in Pittsburgh. Could you imagine him returning to his hometown area? He has donated a ton of money to the area and spent alot of time working with youth from the P'burgh area during his career.
Martin has time and time again expressed his admiration of the Jets and how he wants to end his career here. He played in Pitt at college, but I think he'd prefer to end his career in NY.

Why is it that no one even considers Cedric Houston to share the load with Martin next year . He played well on a ####ty team at the ned of the season.
It's not out of the question, but Houston was brought in by Herm, and it's not like he's a high draft pick in which they have a large financial commitment.I think Mangini will want to bring in his own guy, either via free agency or the draft.

This is where Bradway made his worst move. Rushing champ or not.

They had LaMont behind Curtis and refused to sign LaMont and gave BIG bucks to a 30 year old back.

They should/could have traded him away to Dallas for whatever they could have gotten, paid LaMont the big $ and had a RB for 6-8 years that would carry the load.

I am a big JETS fan, but would be glad to see C-Mart go. So we can get on with the future.

They had LaMont behind Curtis and refused to sign LaMont and gave BIG bucks to a 30 year old back.

They should/could have traded him away to Dallas for whatever they could have gotten, paid LaMont the big $ and had a RB for 6-8 years that would carry the load.

I am a big JETS fan, but would be glad to see C-Mart go. So we can get on with the future.
:rolleyes:

Exactly the attitude of Bradway, and that's why he is the FORMER GM of a professional football team.Have some vision when making these moves. Or overpay for a DL, QB who hadn't made it through a season healthy and a 30 year old RB

Oh yeah :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly the attitude of Bradway, and that's why he is the FORMER GM of a professional football team.Have some vision when making these moves. Or overpay for a DL, QB who hadn't made it through a season healthy and a 30 year old RB

It's tough for fans outside to see it, but a lot of objective people were wondering what the Jets were thinking about letting Jordan go. As much of an iron man as Martin is, time catches up to everyone.

It's not out of the question, but Houston was brought in by Herm, and it's not like he's a high draft pick in which they have a large financial commitment.I think Mangini will want to bring in his own guy, either via free agency or the draft.
this is why Martin (and other high priced veteran Jets) should be nervous. Woody is cheap. they're something like 25m over the cap. the new coaching staff is making peanuts, in relative terms. the new GM is a cap guy. The organization is going with the youth movement. This all equals, restructure or you're gone 'cuz they'll sign a cheaper "hold the fort" guy until the new guys catch on. The Jets are a bad team. no sense in being a high priced bad team.

It's tough for fans outside to see it, but a lot of objective people were wondering what the Jets were thinking about letting Jordan go. As much of an iron man as Martin is, time catches up to everyone.
The Jets didn't "let" Jordan go.

The problem with Jordan was not just money, but PT. Jordan became an FA as Martin came off of his career and league-leading high. Even if they could have paid what Okaland did (and they clearly overpaid...), Jordan wanted to start, and the Jets couldn't offer him that.

As for Martin, he will renegotiate for a lower amount. And I think that Cedric Houston will get the chance to win real PT. From a rebuilding perspective, you get the RB last, so I expect the Jets to get by with basically the same RB group as last year (except at FB, where Sowell is a cap casualty and BJ Askew starts while another 5th rounder learns).

Woody is cheap. they're something like 25m over the cap.
To me, those two sentences can't go together. That's like I'm poor but have a million in the bank. What makes you say he's cheap?

What?

He left as a FA. When they could have traded/cut/whatever C-Mart(yes, the season before being rushing champ, but how far off would LaMont have been?)

LaMont left as a FA, AND BRADWAY WOULDN"T TRADE HIM TO THE RAIDERS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED THAT C-MART lead the league in rushing.

Because he wanted better than a 3rd rd pick!

So he did leave, for NOTHING

Sorry, locked the caps!

The problem with Jordan was not just money, but PT. Jordan became an FA as Martin came off of his career and league-leading high. Even if they could have paid what Okaland did (and they clearly overpaid...), Jordan wanted to start, and the Jets couldn't offer him that.

As for Martin, he will renegotiate for a lower amount. And I think that Cedric Houston will get the chance to win real PT. From a rebuilding perspective, you get the RB last, so I expect the Jets to get by with basically the same RB group as last year (except at FB, where Sowell is a cap casualty and BJ Askew starts while another 5th rounder learns).
I like Sowell alot. If he's cut I'll be counting the seconds til another team grabs him.I'd only be mildly surprised if Blaylock was the Jets starting RB not Houston. Interesting how many people almost forget he's there.

I like Sowell alot. If he's cut I'll be counting the seconds til another team grabs him.I'd only be mildly surprised if Blaylock was the Jets starting RB not Houston. Interesting how many people almost forget he's there.
Blaylock seems better suited to a third down role, atleast to me, especially since Houston's pass receiving skills are suspect.

To me, those two sentences can't go together. That's like I'm poor but have a million in the bank. What makes you say he's cheap?
Woody isn't cheap.
don't split hairs. this isn't about whether Woody's cheap or not. it's about a team that's rebuilding. mangini is going to put his signature on this team asap and it will come at the expense of the high priced veterans on the team.

cheap = I believe Woody's is tightening his purse strings (salaries) in order to front for a new (revenue generating) stadium.

Blaylock seems better suited to a third down role, atleast to me, especially since Houston's pass receiving skills are suspect.
His per start FF scoring is probably as good or better than most NFL RBs.

I could put up big numbers running behing KC's line. He wouldn't hold up to between the tackle running for long.

Woody isn't cheap.
don't split hairs. this isn't about whether Woody's cheap or not. it's about a team that's rebuilding. mangini is going to put his signature on this team asap and it will come at the expense of the high priced veterans on the team.

cheap = I believe Woody's is tightening his purse strings (salaries) in order to front for a new (revenue generating) stadium.
What are you talking about? The Jets and Giants have decided to go in for one stadium, as opposed to Woody putting out over $1B himself in a new stadium. Johnson has consistently spent out the $$ for the team.

I agree with Bri. Blaylock for sure has shown more than Houston. Blaylock also was a big camp success last year.

Woody isn't cheap.

What are you talking about? The Jets and Giants have decided to go in for one stadium, as opposed to Woody putting out over $1B himself in a new stadium. Johnson has consistently spent out the $$ for the team.
ugh. I really don't care about Woody and his millions and what he does or doesn't do with it. honestly, I don't. you could very well be right. maybe I don't know what I'm talking about with respect to how he spends his money. you have your opinion about it and I have mine and we could argue about it all night however, that's not my point.The Jets are rebuilding and Johnson is not going to waste his money on high priced veterans.

The Jets are rebuilding and Johnson is not going to waste his money on high priced veterans.
I think you're overreacting to the notion(true or not) that he doesn't want to pay old Mawae and old Martin big $. He did pay Coles, Abraham, Ellis and IIRC Fabini. We'll see though, to each his own

The Jets are rebuilding and Johnson is not going to waste his money on high priced veterans.
I think you're overreacting to the notion(true or not) that he doesn't want to pay old Mawae and old Martin big $. He did pay Coles, Abraham, Ellis and IIRC Fabini. We'll see though, to each his own
maybe and true.

Jordan is a decent back, but he's not special. RBs aren't hard to find. The Jets would have had the same record last year with or without Jordan. The future for the Jets starts with positions other than RB.

Jordan is a decent back, but he's not special. RBs aren't hard to find. The Jets would have had the same record last year with or without Jordan. The future for the Jets starts with positions other than RB.
Could you miss the point that badly?C-Mart is expensive AND old.

LaMont would have been reasonably priced AND young. So it would have been one less spot to WORRY about.

LaMont would have been reasonably priced AND young. So it would have been one less spot to WORRY about.
LaMont Jordan is 27 years old. He's not old by any standards, but I also don't think he's young. He's low mileage for sure, but I'd save "young" for people like Reggie Bush. LaDainian Tomlinson is younger than LaMont Jordan, but no one considers him one of the best young RBs in the NFL.I'm also not sure where you got the idea that Jordan was reasonably priced.

You don't cut your team's leader, a future HOFer, after he just led the NFL in rushing for a guy that has struggled but MIGHT be good.

Blaylock? First, He's not big enough to be a feature back, Second, He can't stay healthy. Blaylock would be a great third down back. The question is, Can Houston be a feature back? I think it's gonna be three headed RBBC. Martin with a reduced salary, Houston/Blaylock.

Blaylock? First, He's not big enough to be a feature back, Second, He can't stay healthy. Blaylock would be a great third down back. The question is, Can Houston be a feature back? I think it's gonna be three headed RBBC. Martin with a reduced salary, Houston/Blaylock.
Blaylock is 5-9, 205. He's plenty big enough.

Footballguys has Blaylock listed as 190#, ten pounds heavier then Warrick Dunn.

205# in then 5-8 to 5-10 range is M Westbrook, M Bennett size.

Either way, I still have doubts.

ourlads.com has Blaylock listed at 5' 10" 205

B Westbrook at 5' 8" 205

M Bennett at 5' 9" 209

Edited for new height/weight and I thought this thread was about C Martin

not the Lamont Jordan woulda coulda shoulda.

You don't cut your team's leader, a future HOFer, after he just led the NFL in rushing for a guy that has struggled but MIGHT be good.
Plus, it would have been a PR nightmare for the Jets to cut him at that point.

Footballguys has Blaylock listed as 190#, ten pounds heavier then Warrick Dunn.

205# in then 5-8 to 5-10 range is M Westbrook, M Bennett size.

Either way, I still have doubts.
Ugh, You all need fact checking before replying. And please read before replying as well!The Jets had LaMont, who had shown he could play well backing up C-Mart. Th Raiders asked the Jets about LaMont the season BEFORE he became a FA, which was also the season BEFORE C-Mart lead the league in rushing. The Raiders were willing to give a 3RD Rd pick for LaMont.

Bradway said no. Give us a second. Herm let LaMont sit and do nothing, giving C-Mart all the carries, hence he leads the league in rushing and LaMont leaves as a FA. We get nothing.

LaMont is a YOUNG 27. And would have been FAR less expensive than signing C-Mart to the fat contract. That now leads to this discussion and what to do with him.

C-Mart was 30! LaMont 26! pretty simple to see who was going to be there long term. And see the end of a long term deal.

PR nightmare? BS, I'm a Jets fan. ANd if they had gotten something for him then they would have had better PR.

Again, Bradway gave up 2 top 20 picks for a mediocre DLmen, outbid ONLY himself for Pennington who had not played 1 full year of football. AND let a starting RB leave whileOVERPAYING a 30 year old RB.

So they should bail on C-Mart and move on.

What?

He left as a FA. When they could have traded/cut/whatever C-Mart(yes, the season before being rushing champ, but how far off would LaMont have been?)

LaMont left as a FA, AND BRADWAY WOULDN"T TRADE HIM TO THE RAIDERS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED THAT C-MART lead the league in rushing.

Sorry, locked the caps!
In Jordan's last year with the team, his play was extremely beneficial to the team... certainly more than any 3rd-rounder would have been that year. The Jets were trying to win a Superbowl, and while they fell short, they put in a very nice season for themselves and their fans. Did Bradway make a mistake? No! Martin was coming off a touch season, and the thinking was that if Martin broke down, Jordan would take his place and be the long-term starter. Instead, Martin had his best season ever, and Jordan left as FA. In hindsight you can complain, but in foresight, the Jets were being smart. It's only Martin's freakishness that derailed the plan (though it also took us one FG aaway from the AFC Championship game).As for cutting Curtis Martin right after his 1,697 yard season, if that's what you're suggesting, well, your suggestion reeks of gross stupidity. It's like suggesting that the 49ers should have cut Montana right after his 3rd Superbowl victory because they had Steve Young on the bench.

I am in complete agreement. Also a jet fan

What?

Sorry, locked the caps!
In Jordan's last year with the team, his play was extremely beneficial to the team... certainly more than any 3rd-rounder would have been that year. The Jets were trying to win a Superbowl, and while they fell short, they put in a very nice season for themselves and their fans. Did Bradway make a mistake? No! Martin was coming off a touch season, and the thinking was that if Martin broke down, Jordan would take his place and be the long-term starter. Instead, Martin had his best season ever, and Jordan left as FA. In hindsight you can complain, but in foresight, the Jets were being smart. It's only Martin's freakishness that derailed the plan (though it also took us one FG aaway from the AFC Championship game).As for cutting Curtis Martin right after his 1,697 yard season, if that's what you're suggesting, well, your suggestion reeks of gross stupidity. It's like suggesting that the 49ers should have cut Montana right after his 3rd Superbowl victory because they had Steve Young on the bench.
I'm not talking about his LAST year. Does anyone read these posts?

What?

Sorry, locked the caps!
I'm not saying he should have been cut, but the Jets could have signed Jordan and either used them both RBBC last year or traded Martin. The fact is they chose to let go a talented young RB and keep one that was bound to eventually get hurt or be ineffective. Tough situation? Yes, but good GM's make the right move.

It's a tough decision, but Mangini needs to do what is in the best interest of the Jets franchise, and that is to cut Martin. No need to restructure the deal, just take the cap hit this year, during a rebuilding phase, and be ready to go in 2007.

The future back of the Jets is not currently on the roster. There are plenty of free agents and a pretty deep draft class to choose from.

It's a tough decision, but Mangini needs to do what is in the best interest of the Jets franchise, and that is to cut Martin. No need to restructure the deal, just take the cap hit this year, during a rebuilding phase, and be ready to go in 2007.

The future back of the Jets is not currently on the roster. There are plenty of free agents and a pretty deep draft class to choose from.
Presuming Martin is ready, willing and able to take a significant cut to remain in New York, it would be assinine for Mangini to force him out. Mangini and Tannenbaum are 35-year old guys who do not have a lot of goodwill built up in NY. Letting a legend walk IF he's willing to redo his deal a la Bettis would be a tremendous mark against them particularly if Martin goes somewhere and is effective.Someone else mentioned Bettis and Eddie George. In Eddie George's case, he had been ineffective and a below par runner for several years before Tennessee finally parted ways with him. Martin won the rushing title 2 seasons ago, and toughed out much of last year. It's certainly no given he'll ever be a full time runner effectively again, but he's far too valuable to the franchise in so many facets to force him out, at the right price.

It's a tough decision, but Mangini needs to do what is in the best interest of the Jets franchise, and that is to cut Martin.  No need to restructure the deal, just take the cap hit this year, during a rebuilding phase, and be ready to go in 2007.

The future back of the Jets is not currently on the roster.  There are plenty of free agents and a pretty deep draft class to choose from.
Presuming Martin is ready, willing and able to take a significant cut to remain in New York, it would be assinine for Mangini to force him out. Mangini and Tannenbaum are 35-year old guys who do not have a lot of goodwill built up in NY. Letting a legend walk IF he's willing to redo his deal a la Bettis would be a tremendous mark against them particularly if Martin goes somewhere and is effective.Someone else mentioned Bettis and Eddie George. In Eddie George's case, he had been ineffective and a below par runner for several years before Tennessee finally parted ways with him. Martin won the rushing title 2 seasons ago, and toughed out much of last year. It's certainly no given he'll ever be a full time runner effectively again, but he's far too valuable to the franchise in so many facets to force him out, at the right price.
If MArtin is willing to accept right around the minimum, sure, keep him as a backup (although I still have reservations, on an old, wore out backup who doesn't play special teams). I don't think MArtin will accept less than $1,000,000 a year and he isn't worth it. Yes, Mangini and Tannebaum are 35 year old white guys (not quite sure the point there), and they are paid to put the best possible team on the field. Curtis MArtin does not fit into that equation, IMO, and they would not be doing their jobs if they kept him.

New regime in NYJ, likely a new QB, plenty of growing pains. I think it would make alot of sense to deal or cut Martin so that he can end his career with a contender. Perhaps his hometown team. Love to see the following scenario develop:

NYJ cut or trade Martin to the Steelers for a mid-round pick

Steelers sign Martin to a Bettis type deal.

Steelers cut Staley.

Not likely but I'd love to see it.

If MArtin is willing to accept right around the minimum, sure, keep him as a backup (although I still have reservations, on an old, wore out backup who doesn't play special teams). I don't think MArtin will accept less than $1,000,000 a year and he isn't worth it. Yes, Mangini and Tannebaum are 35 year old white guys (not quite sure the point there), and they are paid to put the best possible team on the field. Curtis MArtin does not fit into that equation, IMO, and they would not be doing their jobs if they kept him.
First of all, no one mentioned them being 35-year old WHITE guys, that's not germane to the conversation whatsoever. But more importantly, I beg you to take a quick look at the list of NFL running backs who make more than $1 million per annum and then make the case that a healthy Curtis Martin isn't worth that, and quite a bit more.

It's a tough decision, but Mangini needs to do what is in the best interest of the Jets franchise, and that is to cut Martin.  No need to restructure the deal, just take the cap hit this year, during a rebuilding phase, and be ready to go in 2007.

The future back of the Jets is not currently on the roster.  There are plenty of free agents and a pretty deep draft class to choose from.
First of all, no one mentioned them being 35-year old WHITE guys, that's not germane to the conversation whatsoever. But more importantly, I beg you to take a quick look at the list of NFL running backs who make more than $1 million per annum and then make the case that a healthy Curtis Martin isn't worth that, and quite a bit more.
Wow, my eyesight is shot. I seriously thought it said 35 year old white guys. Reading the message again, I see that certainly was not the case.Don't get me wrong, I think Martin is one of the classiest, community oriented players in the NFL. However, that should have absolutely nothing to do with whether he is cut or not. It is about the product on the field, and I think Martin is done. Martin had a great career, Hall of Fame no doubt about that. But he simply has too much tread on the tires. This is not a Jerome Bettis situation, the Jets are not a Steelers type team where they can afford to keep a guy like Bettis on the roster. Watching Martin last year was painful.

Comparing him to other backs who make $1,000,000 is also irrelevent. Just because another team made a mistake doesn't mean the Jets should too. Martin would be a decent #2, but he is not a 3rd down type back, and doesn't play special teams? The Jets need a starter, and Houston/Blaylock should be the # 2 and # 3. Martin is not a starter. IMO, he isn't a good backup. He needs to take a lesson from Eddie George and retire. I am sure the JEts could find a position for him in the orginization.

Users who are viewing this thread