What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cutler to AZ (1 Viewer)

TeamDingo

Footballguy
Can someone please explain why there are so many mocks with Cutler going to AZ. It seems to me that Denny has always greatly preferred a veteran QB to young one. If VYoung slips here I could definitely see Denny grabbing him, but I just don't see it with any other QB in this draft.

Seems to me greatest area of need is OL or S. I'm thinking Justice or Huff. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Denny Green drafted Daunte Culpepper, so it's not like he's always gone to the veteran. If the right player presents himself in the right draft position, I imagine Green would go for it. We all know Kurt Warner's injury history, and with McCown gone, there's not a single QB on the roster worth talking about after Warner. Cutler has a big arm and good mobility, and he seems like he'd be a really good fit in Green's system.

Most mocks have both Justice and Huff selected before AZ (usually to Buffalo and the Lions, respectively).

Can someone please explain why there are so many mocks with Cutler going to AZ. It seems to me that Denny has always greatly preferred a veteran QB to young one. If VYoung slips here I could definitely see Denny grabbing him, but I just don't see it with any other QB in this draft.

Seems to me greatest area of need is OL or S. I'm thinking Justice or Huff. Tell me why I'm wrong.
Maybe because the Cardinals realize in the history of their franchise they have never had a great QB and typically spend 1st round picks on positions other than QB with some stop gap thinking that they can get a veteran QB to fill their need.This results in a never-ending spiral of mediocrity at the QB position and never getting a franchise QB to build a team around.

Whether Cutler is that guy is an entirely different discussion.

They went that way with Plummer and it didn't work out but looking at the leading passers for the Cards over the past 20 years is laughable.

Warner, McCown, Blake, Plummer, Esiason, Kreig, Beurlein, Chandler, Gelbaugh, Rosenbach, Hogeboom, Lomax.

:lmao:

Their biggest need is O line and they already have Adrian Wilson so I don't think safety is a huge need, although would be a great addition to that defense.

I would be more surprised if Young fell to Arizona and they passed than if Cutler does and they pass. I currently have Cutler going to Minnesota and feel Arizona has more important needs than a 1st round rookie QB.

I do understand why some mocks have them taking a QB since Warner will be 35, has only played two full season in his career (the last one in 2001) and many concerns over the capability of their other QB's on ther roster.

Denny Green drafted Daunte Culpepper, so it's not like he's always gone to the veteran.
I was going to post this exact thing....No way Huff will be there. They need a future QB, they have none. Kurt Warner is also a great mentor for young QB.

I am not doubting the fragility of Warner. Though I am doubting that Cards have figured anything out as an orginaization history or not. I guess if I thought that they were set on having a young QB with mobility and a strong arm they would have paid McCown to be a backup in AZ instead of Detoilet. I am aware that Denny has forgone need in the past to draft Cpep and think he would do it again for a special athelete at QB ( VYoung) but I can't see him grabbing Cutler.

Who is the S besides Wilson?

Maybe because the Cardinals realize in the history of their franchise they have never had a great QB and typically spend 1st round picks on positions other than QB with some stop gap thinking that they can get a veteran QB to fill their need.This results in a never-ending spiral of mediocrity at the QB position and never getting a franchise QB to build a team around.

Whether Cutler is that guy is an entirely different discussion.

They went that way with Plummer and it didn't work out but looking at the leading passers for the Cards over the past 20 years is laughable.

Warner, McCown, Blake, Plummer, Esiason, Kreig, Beurlein, Chandler, Gelbaugh, Rosenbach, Hogeboom, Lomax.

:lmao:

Their biggest need is O line and they already have Adrian Wilson so I don't think safety is a huge need, although would be a great addition to that defense.
Shaun King too :hophead:

Am I the only one who thinks that John Navarre could eventually be a good starting QB? Not like he'd be the first late round Michigan QB to succeed in the NFL and the Cardinals have the talent to make his job easier.

I think it'll come down to a battle between the front office and Green. Green has to win NOW, and grooming a 1st rnd QB won't be on his wish list, but it very well may be for the FO. I have to believe that Cutler's college career showed that he also has something that Warner doesn't possess anymore -- a cannon of an ARM with the ability to sit in the pocket and take heat from rushers. While that used to be Warner's thing, it isn't anymore. The FO vs Green battle (if there is one) will be interesting...

I would be shocked to see Denny Green take a quarterback at #10. He is so full of himself and his quarterback-friendly system, that he adamatently would prefer a skill player of some sort.

PS - Denny also has a track record supporting his quarterback friendly system. Although he is full of himself, he really has every right to be in this regard.

Can an AZ homer tell me who has final say on personnel/draft decisions.

I guess I am assuming that it is Denny. If so I just can't see him taking Cutler. I agree with Higgins that the FO has different priorities and they may push for it but as Blue Onion says anyone who knows Denny knows that drafting Cutler just isn't something Denny would do.

I remember Specifically when the Vikings drafted Culpepper at @ #12 in hte draft, Green came on afterwards and said Culpepper was the #1 overal prospect on the Vikings board. I also remember last year Aaron Rogers straightening his tie and starting to get up when the Commish began announcing Arizona's pick.

To me, Arizona is a wild card (no pun intended) in the first round because we have no idea who Denny is favoring. It will be his BPA but who knows who he thinks that is? It's very hard to do a mock past pick 7 with Oakland and rounding out the rest of the Top 10 as there are multiple guys who could go anywhere to anybody which would shake up the whole draft.

Now, it may just be because it's morning, but I'm stiff right now (bad knees :P ) thinking about Cutler slinging the rock to Fitz and Boldin and Edge in the backfield. Especially with Green being known to work wonders with QB's. I'm also BUYING on that blurb from Jaworski saying he'll be the best QB of the big three. I like Jaworski's analysis saying he played under NFL type conditions with the pocket collapsing on him and his receivers getting little separation, yet still succeeding. It's all going to come down to whether Green likes him or not. However, if the cards pick him up, I'm all over him in keeper/dynasty leagues, Warner or no Warner.

JAWS on CUTLER - Thread started by Chaos Commish

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one who thinks that John Navarre could eventually be a good starting QB? Not like he'd be the first late round Michigan QB to succeed in the NFL and the Cardinals have the talent to make his job easier.
It's not a bad idea IMO to stash him on your roster if you have room.

Can an AZ homer tell me who has final say on personnel/draft decisions.

I guess I am assuming that it is Denny. If so I just can't see him taking Cutler. I agree with Higgins that the FO has different priorities and they may push for it but as Blue Onion says anyone who knows Denny knows that drafting Cutler just isn't something Denny would do.
1a) Denny1b) Rod Graves

To me, Arizona is a wild card (no pun intended) in the first round because we have no idea who Denny is favoring. It will be his BPA but who knows who he thinks that is?
:goodposting:

FWIW, during his post-signing press conference, Edge sure seemed convinced AZ was going to improve the OL. As far as i know they haven't done anything along those lines thus far.

I remember Specifically when the Vikings drafted Culpepper at @ #12 in hte draft, Green came on afterwards and said Culpepper was the #1 overal prospect on the Vikings board. I also remember last year Aaron Rogers straightening his tie and starting to get up when the Commish began announcing Arizona's pick.

To me, Arizona is a wild card (no pun intended) in the first round because we have no idea who Denny is favoring. It will be his BPA but who knows who he thinks that is? It's very hard to do a mock past pick 7 with Oakland and rounding out the rest of the Top 10 as there are multiple guys who could go anywhere to anybody which would shake up the whole draft.
Isn't he usually very open about who he likes though? Fitz, Arrington, etc. I'm surprised that he hasn't been quoted somewhere as really liking someone who will likely be there at their pick.

Cutler at ten isnt that much of a reach, adn would be close to be the best player available. Alot of experts have him the best QB in the over SUPERMEGA HYPED Young and Leinart.

Isn't he usually very open about who he likes though? Fitz, Arrington, etc. I'm surprised that he hasn't been quoted somewhere as really liking someone who will likely be there at their pick.
Hard to tell who Denny likes at this point, but don't be suprised if Cutler is available at 1.10 and Denny Green's BPA is Dimitrius Underwood Junior.

Hard to tell who Denny likes at this point, but don't be suprised if Cutler is available at 1.10 and Denny Green's BPA is Dimitrius Underwood Junior.
:lmao: Yeah, just seems strange that he hasn't come out and talked about it. Wonder if that means it's someone who could go before 10 and he doesn't want anyone trading up?

:lmao: Yeah, just seems strange that he hasn't come out and talked about it. Wonder if that means it's someone who could go before 10 and he doesn't want anyone trading up?
That's a legit point. There was very little concern that Fitz wouldn't slide to 1.03, while Arrington might have gone earlier, it would have been a horrible pick (and was). Here, Denny might want a few different players. I suspect he'd love to see Hawk fall.

Cutler seems to make the most sense, but also seems to be a fan's choice, not neccessarily the organization's.

Denny keeping his mouth shut would indicate to me he may be interested in trading back. For leverage purposes, whoever is interested in said dropping player could conveniently be Green's interest as well.The more I recollect about Denny's historical pattern, him keeping his mouth shut is quite odd. Good observation.

for what it's worth, I think Denny is a good to very good football coach who's biggest problem is that he thinks he is a great football coach and he takes any criticism of himself personally instead of constructively. I guess that is two problems.

I am still not convinced Cutler makes sense here, still think Justice or Huff if he falls. I think Bills take a DT (not sure which one fits better for them, bigger Ngata is my first guess) and figuring out Detroit, well good luck, but if I had to guess... they are as likely to take Huff as do something silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
for what it's worth, I think Denny is a good to very good football coach who's biggest problem is that he thinks he is a great football coach and he takes any criticism of himself personally instead of constructively. I guess that is two problems.
I think Denny is a pretty good coach but a lousy GM.

Users who are viewing this thread