What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daily Broncos Training Camp Report (1 Viewer)

rebel34

Footballguy
I posted this in the Tatum Bell thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread as well. I am going to be in attendance nearly every day out at Broncos Training Camp. 760 THE ZONE is going to be broadcasting live from Dove Valley as well during training camp. I am going to do a daily summary of the days action that will post on the internet. You can find it over at Fantasy Football Journal

I will be watching these situations very closely:

RB situation

Q is the starter, Hearst is the veteran, Bell is the rookie. It will be nice to see how this all shakes out.

WR situation

someone has to step up behind Rod Smith. Ashley Lelie needs to step up big time this year. Darius Watts and Triandos Luke are two rookies that are looking to take the next big step. Willie Jackson was great in mini camp, can the wiley veteran continue to show the consistency needed?

The Re-vamped D

With all the new additions I am very much looking forward to seeing these guys in action. Champ Bailey is a shut down corner (and should have NO problem covering the Bronco WR's) but will he evolve into a leader on that D? John Lynch is class all the way, what kind of an impact will he have?

QB situation

As anyone saw last year the Broncos desperately need a solid backup to Jake Plummer. Who will step up?

I hope everyone enjoys the reports, IT'S GONNA BE GREAT!!! If you have any specific questions that may not be in the report just pm me and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

hey rebel, I plan on being up there a handful of days ... maybe us, Drifter and the other Denver FBG's can have a mindmeld watching practices .... the collective brainpower of us all will dominate the football world .... well, maybe not quite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im interested in who is getting the most TE reps with first team and looks from Plummer.

hey rebel, I plan on being up there a handful of days ... maybe us, Drifter and the other Denver FBG's can have a mindmeld watching practices .... the collective brainpower of us all will dominate the football world .... well, maybe not quite.
:inhisbest"dabears"GeorgeWendtvoice:The mind melding of Coolbeans, Rebel, and Drifter would bring a cataclysmic end to the universe! :lol:

BTW Coolbeans (or any other Denver-ite) the guys from my humble message board at Freestyle 760 are getting together this Friday to talk Football and DRINK BEER! Anyone is welcome, just check the site and find out what time and where!

Im interested in who is getting the most TE reps with first team and looks from Plummer.
Denver is one of the most intriguing camps ff-wise IMHO.RBBC situation?WR#3?TE#1?

This is a fascinating thread, thanks for doing the legwork rebel. The Q/Hearst/Bell situation in my opinion is the most interesting fantasy story this season when you take into consideration the kind of numbers denver rbs have put up.

Anybody but Zartan that is!j/k Swires, c'mon down!! :lol:
Damn, I have friends flying in from L.A. this weekend or I would seriously love to come chill. Drifter and Marc Levin both live here as well so we can get something going on in the future. Courtjester can probably even come up from the Springs.Whatever happened to the whole "get Zartan a non-paying gig at the radio station" thing? I think I might be taking my friends to training camp on Saturday at Invesco as I think it''s open to the public.

Anybody but Zartan that is!j/k Swires, c'mon down!! :lol:
Damn, I have friends flying in from L.A. this weekend or I would seriously love to come chill. Drifter and Marc Levin both live here as well so we can get something going on in the future. Courtjester can probably even come up from the Springs.Whatever happened to the whole "get Zartan a non-paying gig at the radio station" thing? I think I might be taking my friends to training camp on Saturday at Invesco as I think it''s open to the public.
John Turk and I are bringing Fantasy Football Freestyle to Saturday afternoons as well and I plan on having a "special guest" :insertfootballguyhere: every week. You are on the short list.We are expanding our local programming and I am hopeful to get the M-F Sports Night gig!

Rebel, were you out at Dove Valley today? Any talk of Tatum Bell signing tonight?Also, if you went off your gut feeling right now, who would you say will be the Bronco starting RB come week 1? week 8?

When I left around 2 o'clock both Bell and DJ Williams were expected to be signed and in camp tomorrow. Of course that could just be wishful thinking on the Broncos part!

Just got home! It downpoured here, but didn't deter the fans from coming to Dove Valley. I am going to listen to the audio notes I recorded, write my article, post excerpts here, and let everyone know when it's all online!

Here's some excerpts, the story was emailed and should be posted soon! I was very impressed with Watts today. I thought the Broncos reached when they selected him, but if he continues what he started today then the Broncos have a great one. Watts even made Lenny Walls hurt his ankle (requiring on the field treatment) when he put a double move on him that would make Allen Iverson proud.The real WR to impress me this afternoon was Triandos Luke. This guy looked great in drills, catching the ball away from his body, catching it in stride, and showing GREAT seperation speed. I will post once the full story is up!

Hey Guys, this stuff is awesome. The past year and a half I've stayed at one fantasy football web site and happened to just came across this site. So I joined Fottball Guys as I've been impressed with many things. So I got to say I've never seen reports like this at the other site before. Just awesome! Can't wait to hear more.

FYI for EVERYONE!!!!

On Friday from 2-3pm mountain time I will be co-hosting the Stout and Watkins afternoon show live from Dove Valley. We will be talking fantasy football and interviewing players. You can listen online at AM 760 THE ZONE Check it out!

good stuff cecil. :thumbup: How many jerseys do you own? :rotflmao:
45 jerseys, and counting!My fav is the Mitchell and Ness Walter Payton Throwback.2nd is my authentic Barry Foster jersey.The one I'm most ashamed of............Cecil Collins Miami jersey :bag: probably won't wear my 3 Ricky Williams Saints jerseys again either!

Byron Chamberlain will be the #1 TE and have a nice year in Denver's TE friendly offense. He is a nice sleeper for sure.

Tatum Bell was not there because he is not signed. I guess his agent has a problem with math or somthing according to Skeletor.

The real question is what did you see from Tatum Bell ????
-- Tatum Bell Still Unsigned --Wed Jul 28, 2004 --from FFMastermind.comAP reports Denver Broncos second round draft pick RB Tatum Bell (Oklahoma State) remains unsigned as the team began training camp today. Bell is still trying to work out a deal with Denver's front office and didn't practice in the morning. "One day is not going to kill him," Broncos HC Mike Shanahan said. "You don't know how long these things last. You don't know what advice he's getting. When you sign everybody else and you're not able to sign one, that's a little unusual for us. Hopefully, we will get it done."

Quotes from the ever reliable Big Cheese (a.k.a Shanahan) yesterday:

"(Lepsis) has made some strides," Shanahan said. "In the first minicamp, I think he was feeling a little awkward, but the second minicamp he started feeling a little more confident. After the last 10 workouts that he's had inside, he's really upgraded us in the running game using his quickness and his speed. I think it'll start taking a little while before he starts getting comfortable at left tackle as he is at right tackle with pass protection, but we're very impressed with the way he's working and the way he's handling the position. He likes it there, and he's very natural at that position.

"With George Foster and the right tackle position, you know George is a young guy and he's out to prove himself. Here's a guy that's 330 pounds that can run under a five-flat 40. He's got great quickness and great strength, and we'll see how he works and how consistent he is in the running game and the passing game. He's got a big upside, and I expect him to be playing extremely well."

link

Just got home! I am going to listen to the audio notes I recorded, write my article, post excerpts here, and let everyone know when it's all online!
Day 2 report coming soon!

Here's some excerpts from day 2: After getting faked out of his jock strap yesterday and hurting his ankle Walls sat out all of today. Jed Weaver had a couple of nice plays over the middle. He caught the ball in stride and showed some good moves after the catch.Al “smoke dog” Wilson gave him a shoulder that would have knocked a normal man down. Luke spun off the hit and stayed on his feet, wowing the crowd again.Q was also getting chewed out for rounding out his cuts on the outside.I just emailed it off and it should be posting soon!

Here's some excerpts from day 2:

After getting faked out of his jock strap yesterday and hurting his ankle Walls sat out all of today.
he'll sit out a little longer...
Cornerback Lenny Walls, expected to start on the defensive right side this season, went for a magnetic resonance imaging exam on his right ankle and a small cartilage tear was discovered that will require surgery. Walls will undergo arthroscopic surgery today, use in a protective walking boot for two days and could return to the field in three weeks.

"And I'm glad we had the MRI done quickly - we could have waited a couple days," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "But I talked to the doctor and he feels that it has to be done or it would be a nagging injury throughout the season. . . . The operation should be very quick, a very small hole and, hopefully, he'll be ready to go."
link

-- Tatum Bell Still Unsigned --Wed Jul 28, 2004 --from FFMastermind.comAP reports Denver Broncos second round draft pick RB Tatum Bell (Oklahoma State) remains unsigned as the team began training camp today. Bell is still trying to work out a deal with Denver's front office and didn't practice in the morning. "One day is not going to kill him," Broncos HC Mike Shanahan said. "You don't know how long these things last. You don't know what advice he's getting. When you sign everybody else and you're not able to sign one, that's a little unusual for us. Hopefully, we will get it done."
The sticking point is apparently about $250,000 in signing bonus. The Broncos have offered a $1.7M signing bonus, but DAL gave Jones, who was drafted 2 picks after Bell, a $1.9M signing bonus. Bell & his agent both want something in line with that. There is also some talk about a 6 year contract with an option out after 4 years if some very reasonable incentive marks are hit.LINK

Should anyone doubt running back Garrison Hearst might be able climb Denver's depth chart, it should be pointed out that he also is the only player in NFL history to win the comeback player of the year award twice. Counting him out never has been a very good idea. Three days into training camp, some might be overlooking Hearst. Those who know him best do not.For one, the Broncos' backfield is, as Hearst himself admits, teeming with talent. After spending three seasons in Arizona, one in Cincinnati, then seven in San Francisco, Hearst said he never has seen one backfield with as much depth as this one in Denver. "I don't know if I've ever been on a team with so many guys that can flat-out play like this," Hearst said between Thursday's practices. "There are a lot of guys in the backfield here. "Quentin (Griffin) is definitely hitting the hole quick. Mike (Anderson) is running strong. Even the rest of the young guys here are running hard. I think all the guys are doing great. But the thing is, everybody does things different. Everybody's going out and trying to show the coaches what they can do so they can play."Denver's coaches are sifting through their options, determining which Broncos back is most likely to spearhead this offense. More and more, it's looking as if Denver's decision could change on a Sunday-to-Sunday basis. The Broncos could opt to feature Griffin's quickness one week, Anderson's toughness the next, Hearst's feistiness the next and rookie running back Tatum Bell's explosiveness the next - should he decide to end his ill-timed holdout soon. "Truthfully, I would like for one guy to emerge," running backs coach Bobby Turner said. "That's what I would personally like. But at this stage, I'm looking for a bunch of them. When Coach makes that decision who that one guy, or guys, is going to be, I want it to be tough. I don't want that to be an easy decision."
LINK

C'mon cap - Hearst is 33Way past his prime and coming of ANOTHER injury which cost him 25% of last year. In the last 5 years he has missed 36 of 80 games with injury (45%)If this guy can beat out 2 young quality backs in Q and Bell - I will be amazed. He's in Denver as a vet locker room presence - nothing more.

My day 2 article hasn't posted yet, but I will let everyone know when it does.

Be sure to listen to the Zone on the internet from 2-3pm mountain time for some Fantasy Football!

Miree hasn't looked too bad. He's currently ahead of Galloway and Beard IMHO. More info on him tonight.

C'mon cap - Hearst is 33Way past his prime and coming of ANOTHER injury which cost him 25% of last year. In the last 5 years he has missed 36 of 80 games with injury (45%)If this guy can beat out 2 young quality backs in Q and Bell - I will be amazed. He's in Denver as a vet locker room presence - nothing more.
IMO it doesn't give a accurate portrayl of Hearst's recent durability by including his injured reserve year in 99 and missed rehab year of 2000. In the last 3 years he has missed only 4 games. Not bad at all. His age is an issue but there is no doubting his production, even since his injury. Until I see a drop in production when healthy, I still see him as a productive back

Day 2 report is up, click here

Day 3 is being posted today. Am ready to watch Tatum in his first practice this morning!

My day 3 report has been emailed and should be posted soon. Here's some excerpts:Before practice we got to interview Jeb Putzier and Danny Kannell. Danny joked about how he should hurt his hand more often. He was still throwing behind his targets and hasn’t adjusted to the speedy rookies like Luke and Watts. Romar Crenshaw made the play of the afternoon when he went up for a ball and wrestled it away from Jeremy LeSueur. I got to talk to Iona College head coach Fred Mariani while we watched practice. He was enjoying his time in Colorado and had some insightful comments on the Broncos battles in training camp. When it posts I will let everyone know.

I think I'll be at training camp next Saturday morning. Anyone else from the boards going to be there?

Here's some excerpts from the day 4 report, it should be posting soon!Tatum was a little nervous and showed the dance moves of a redneck in a line dance after a week long bender. “Puff Puff Give” Wilson made him do it over again and Bell gave a better effort.The thing that impressed me the most about Tatum was his receiving ability. He wasn’t known for his hands in college but today he caught everything thrown at him. His nicest catch was an over the shoulder catch on a swing pass from Jake Plummer. Both Luke and Watts are going to make a major push for playing time and if Ashley Lelie struggles at all it wouldn’t surprise me to see either of the two rookies in there.

Here's some excerpts from the day 4 report, it should be posting soon!Tatum was a little nervous and showed the dance moves of a redneck in a line dance after a week long bender. “Puff Puff Give” Wilson made him do it over again and Bell gave a better effort.The thing that impressed me the most about Tatum was his receiving ability. He wasn’t known for his hands in college but today he caught everything thrown at him. His nicest catch was an over the shoulder catch on a swing pass from Jake Plummer.
he practiced? what happened to the possible surgery and out 2-3 weeks?

Here's some excerpts from the day 4 report, it should be posting soon!Tatum was a little nervous and showed the dance moves of a redneck in a line dance after a week long bender.  “Puff Puff Give” Wilson made him do it over again and Bell gave a better effort.The thing that impressed me the most about Tatum was his receiving ability.  He wasn’t known for his hands in college but today he caught everything thrown at him.  His nicest catch was an over the shoulder catch on a swing pass from Jake Plummer.
he practiced? what happened to the possible surgery and out 2-3 weeks?
update?

Users who are viewing this thread