What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas Cowboys (1 Viewer)

Ack88

Footballguy
As a lifelong Cowboy fan, I hate to say it, but I will; there may be no team in NFL history with this much talent that continues to lose big game after big game. No characater, no resiliency. Want someone to light up Detroit for 45 in September, than Tony Romo is your man. Want someone to play a great game when it matters most, look elsewhere. He really,truly is a choke artist. He may have Jessica Simpson (which is a good thing), but he has ZERO wins in late season, big games.

Want a defense that will play agressively and well for three quarters...than look no further than Dallas, Texas. Want a team to play soft and passive with the game on the line, your destination of choice remains the same...Dallas, Texas.

The Cowboys are a fantasy football team...great stats fun to watch, but in real football they are just a bunch of tin men.

I am absolutely certain they will win only one of their last three games (probably against Baltimore) and miss the playoffs. 9-7 with this talent is WORSE than the Lions going 0-16, because at least we know Detroit does not have the talent to compete.

I am ashamed to be a fan of this team.

By the way, if you think my topic title is hyperbolic, I challenge you to name me a bigger group of chokers in any sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a lifelong Cowboy fan, I hate to say it, but I will; there may be no team in NFL history with this much talent that continues to lose big game after big game. No characater, no resiliency. Want someone to light up Detroit for 45 in September, than Tony Romo is your man. Want someone to play a great game when it matters most, look elsewhere. He really,truly is a choke artist. He may have Jessica Simpson (which is a good thing), but he has ZERO wins in late season, big games. Want a defense that will play agressively and well for three quarters...than look no further than Dallas, Texas. Want a team to play soft and passive with the game on the line, your destination of choice remains the same...Dallas, Texas.The Cowboys are a fantasy football team...great stats fun to watch, but in real football they are just a bunch of tin men. I am absolutely certain they will win only one of their last three games (probably against Baltimore) and miss the playoffs. 9-7 with this talent is WORSE than the Lions going 0-16, because at least we know Detroit does not have the talent to compete. I am ashamed to be a fan of this team.
I feel for you...as a Jag fan this year.. expectations were high..but it's part of the Game..I think in your case your worst enemy is your own Owner (just personal opinion)..and it looked like T O finally had his meltdown on the sidelines at the end of the Game.. :kicksrock:

As a fellow Cowboys fan, there's no need to restrict it to this year. They've been "next year's team" since the mid 60's. Dallas has a losing record in NFC Championship games, Landry was 2-3 in Super Bowls. Jerry's spent money year after year and they haven't won a playoff game in more than a decade. This year's team is just holding true to form.

I really don't blame TO on this one. Romo kept trying to force the ball to Witten and it was not working. Further, the Cowboys look like a pop warner team breaking out of the huddle in a hurry up mode. Who the hell is in charge? When you look at it, they don't look like professionals. Who has to take a time out in the hurry up offense? I mean, really, this is ABSURD.

Yes, but those teams of the 70s and 90s won multiple titles. This team has won ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I blame "Bum" Phillips. This team flashes greatness mixed in with disorganization and confusion at the worst possible times. The injury to Holland I think was huge and several others really hurt too. That said, the coach made several key bad calls especially early in refusing to play field position. The punt fumble was just bad luck but was really bad. For whatever reason Romo is so fixated on an injured Witten he isn't looking to Roy or TO. The defense really impressed me today despite some injuries along the way.

If they can keep this up the team can hopefully still sneak into the playoffs. Had the Cowboys won they actually had a shot at the #1 seed this loss really just makes the Giants game critical for us and not so important to the Giants. If we win next week, we'll still be in line for the playoffs with WAS, ATL, and one of TB/CAR losing. Softer defenses await in Round 1 if we can get there.

By the way, if you think my topic title is hyperbolic, I challenge you to name me a bigger group of chokers in any sport.
Buffalo (in the 90s)? Philly (lots of NFC Championships...)? San Diego (last couple of years)?Since the days of Danny White, Dallas has been competitive but often falls short. The Jimmy Johnson Cowboys changed that, and we haven't seen anything as good since. Right now, I think the coaching is plain bad, for one. I thought the DEF did ok, the only misstep was the Santonio Holmes return.I think that Romo is not clutch. He was turning over the ball like crazy in the first half and overthrowing his WRs. Late in the game, he was rushed, confused, and the errant throws to Witten were mental, not physical. Someone screwed up there (both times).Choice was ok, but they needed MBIII in a big game like this. Plus, after all the turnovers, they shouldn't have been in the game at all.BTW, I defected to the Chargers as a kid around 1981, and they have the coaching issue as well. They don't play to their strengths.

They are actually a damn fine team.

Tough division and a few tough breaks.

Today they just came up against a great team as well.

I blame "Bum" Phillips.
You blame the father of the head coach? That's certainly a novel theory!As far as biggest chokers of all time goes, there are plenty of franchises that have a much greater claim to the title than the Cowboys could ever have. The Vikings teams that reached 4 Super Bowls, only to melt down each time come to mind, as do the Bills who did the same over a 4 year span. The Oilers and Saints also would have to be considered candidates on any serious list.

I don't think they choked away yesterday's game.

The Cowboys have a fine team. Their defense is good, but they played the game of their lives yesterday. But they were on the road against a team that is superior at quarterback, defense, and coaching. And usually that is enough to win in the NFL.

Romo has been the choker....not the whole Cowboys team. Starting with the botched FG a few years back, last year's late season choke and yesterday...all pretty much were Romo caused issues.

I like the guy, a great QB, but he is really developing a bad trend over several years now. Perhaps he can rebound and buck his trend for remainder of season and playoffs this year. Dallas looked really strong yesterday against Pittsburgh (on the road/in the cold) and that was without their #1 offensive weapon in MBIII on the field.

I don't think they choked away yesterday's game.The Cowboys have a fine team. Their defense is good, but they played the game of their lives yesterday. But they were on the road against a team that is superior at quarterback, defense, and coaching. And usually that is enough to win in the NFL.
Cowboys fan here, ready to eat crow. but i have to disagree with your post somewhat. i watched th entire game. couple things i saw.first of all the Cowboys defense was the best unit in that game. second, the Cowboys offense was the worst unit in that game. they had the steelers on the ropes and pissed it away! i'm not sure how much blame goes on Romo vs. his receivers. one thing is for sure, there was a lot of miscommunication in the passing game for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys aren't chokers.

The Cowboys are overrated and they were talked about in the offseason 10x more than any other team in the league. The media built them up as something they weren't, they're a good team but not the 85 Bears or 94 49ers that the media (ESPN and Jamie Dukes especially) made them out to be. I used to just fast forward all Cowboy rump kissing on ESPN, thank god for Tivo.

Cowboys defense was the best unit in that game. second, the Cowboys offense was the worst unit in that game.
The Cowboys are a damn fine team, but I disagree with both of these points.Both teams offensive ineptness was mostly attributable to the D's they played against.The better D caused more ineptness and ultimately won the game for the Steelers.The Steelers OL and playcalling were atrocious. The Dallas D played very well, but Pitt's internal weaknesses on O were obvious.Steelers D was the best unit on the field. Steelers O was the worst unit.The Cowboys are definitively not chokers. They are an excellent team.

treat88 said:
Manster said:
Cowboys defense was the best unit in that game. second, the Cowboys offense was the worst unit in that game.
The Cowboys are a damn fine team, but I disagree with both of these points.Both teams offensive ineptness was mostly attributable to the D's they played against.The better D caused more ineptness and ultimately won the game for the Steelers.The Steelers OL and playcalling were atrocious. The Dallas D played very well, but Pitt's internal weaknesses on O were obvious.Steelers D was the best unit on the field. Steelers O was the worst unit.The Cowboys are definitively not chokers. They are an excellent team.
:thumbdown: thats fine. how bout we agree to disagree. i watch every Cowboys game, and what i saw yesterday was Romo and recieviers out of sync. some of it due to the steelers D. but mostly due to poor decision making, and wrong routes by the receivers. that stuff was not forced by the steelers D. the Cowboys defense was the best unit in that game. they should be very upset with the offense.ultimately it doesnt matter, because the steelers won, and the Cowboys are prolly not gonna make the playoffs.

I really don't blame TO on this one. Romo kept trying to force the ball to Witten and it was not working. Further, the Cowboys look like a pop warner team breaking out of the huddle in a hurry up mode. Who the hell is in charge? When you look at it, they don't look like professionals. Who has to take a time out in the hurry up offense? I mean, really, this is ABSURD.
I think Romo's biggest weakness is his clock management under 2 minutes. Watch the last 2 minutes of the NYG / Dallas playoff game last year.

Romo sucked...it wasn't the routes. Nice of those guys to deflect the heat from him, but he single-handidly lost that game. Even the TO TD should have been picked.

Romo sucked...it wasn't the routes. Nice of those guys to deflect the heat from him, but he single-handidly lost that game. Even the TO TD should have been picked.
how do you know it wasnt the routes? i mean i guess the receiver could have run the right route and Romo threw the wrong pass. the only ones who really know are the Cowboys.

how do you know it wasnt the routes? i mean i guess the receiver could have run the right route and Romo threw the wrong pass. the only ones who really know are the Cowboys.
Doesn't matter what routes they ran.Gay/McFadden effectively erased Williams. Taylor and Clark bracketed Owens and effectively erased him as well. Frustrated him enough he tired to copy Matt Light's girl slap routine on Taylor a couple of times. Should have been 2 15 yarders against him along with his lack of numbers on the day.Fact is Romo only sailed 2 passes, coverage and scheme accounted for the INT's and the lack of production.

Leadership essential to win December foul weather road games is forged in camp, and in September and October. In camp the Cowboys were preening and posing for cameras so that jerry Jones could feel important, like his cowboys are more relevant than they really are. In October their Starting Q.B. was nursing a pinkie injury, the type of injury others had played through. Hell others have played through far more debilitating stuff. In short the Cowboys have no leadership. You can front run without leadership, but you can't pull out a gutsy win without it. They are built to be talented losers. Their coaching and management are encouraging them to be prima donnas. I laugh at the Cowboys.

timschochet said:
I don't think they choked away yesterday's game.The Cowboys have a fine team. Their defense is good, but they played the game of their lives yesterday. But they were on the road against a team that is superior at quarterback, defense, and coaching. And usually that is enough to win in the NFL.
:excited: Yeah, they really played the game of their lives against what can only be described as an anemic offense. That O-line is swiss cheese.Dallas blew the game in the fourth quarter. They were in total control until 7:00 left in the game. I'm not saying the Steelers didn't deserve to win, because they did. There is no way I come away from that game thinking they got beat by a better team though.

Leadership essential to win December foul weather road games is forged in camp, and in September and October. In camp the Cowboys were preening and posing for cameras so that jerry Jones could feel important, like his cowboys are more relevant than they really are. In October their Starting Q.B. was nursing a pinkie injury, the type of injury others had played through. Hell others have played through far more debilitating stuff. In short the Cowboys have no leadership. You can front run without leadership, but you can't pull out a gutsy win without it. They are built to be talented losers. Their coaching and management are encouraging them to be prima donnas. I laugh at the Cowboys.
"Ummmmm, everything on this menu looks good...I'll have the conjecture with a side of hyperbole please."

As a lifelong Cowboy fan, I hate to say it, but I will; there may be no team in NFL history with this much talent that continues to lose big game after big game. No characater, no resiliency. Want someone to light up Detroit for 45 in September, than Tony Romo is your man. Want someone to play a great game when it matters most, look elsewhere. He really,truly is a choke artist. He may have Jessica Simpson (which is a good thing), but he has ZERO wins in late season, big games. Want a defense that will play agressively and well for three quarters...than look no further than Dallas, Texas. Want a team to play soft and passive with the game on the line, your destination of choice remains the same...Dallas, Texas.The Cowboys are a fantasy football team...great stats fun to watch, but in real football they are just a bunch of tin men. I am absolutely certain they will win only one of their last three games (probably against Baltimore) and miss the playoffs. 9-7 with this talent is WORSE than the Lions going 0-16, because at least we know Detroit does not have the talent to compete. I am ashamed to be a fan of this team.By the way, if you think my topic title is hyperbolic, I challenge you to name me a bigger group of chokers in any sport.
It continues to amaze me that this team is "America's Team". I realize that is a moniker that began back in the 70's, and I felt like at the time it was somewhat deserved although I oft times wonder why folks don't latch on to a team in their area. But the day Jerry Jones bought this team is the day they became a classless organization. I live 120 miles from Dallas and I've got news for the rest of the nation that flocks to "America's team"... You can have them. I'll stick to pulling for the Texans.

I only saw the end of the game but it appeared Dallas' defense thought the game was over after their goal line stand at the end of the 4th. So just as Pitt was stepping it up for a final push Dallas was winding down.

:towelwave:You've got a owner that gets his face done like a aging starlet. He's second only to Al Davis as far as terrible owners in my book. He had a coach (JJ) that could have made this organization a dynasty for years to come, but his ego wouldn't let him give credit where credit was due. Parcell's was a 2nd chance at that, but I guess Jones chose Owens over Bill. Every other coach has been a puppet. Now who's he going to get to come coach this team?

They are actually a damn fine team.Tough division and a few tough breaks.Today they just came up against a great team as well.
Disagree.Cowboys are a good team with an explosive yet volatile offense.Steelers are a good team with a great defense.

Jerry Jones can't keep his cakehole shut. He is questioning the toughness of the hardest running RB in the league. If I'm Barber, I flat out get in his face and tell him to go #### himself. Then demand a trade.

The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram reports that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones believed that RB Marion Barber was healthy enough to play against the Steelers in Week 14. Barber didn't make the trip to Pittsburgh as he's recovering from a dislocated toe and a sore calf. Jones questioned Barber's toughness following the loss. "He can play with that injured toe," Jones said. "He can play with the soreness and a combination of those things. I see nothing that led us to believe he couldn't."

:goodposting: You've got a owner that gets his face done like a aging starlet. He's second only to Al Davis as far as terrible owners in my book. He had a coach (JJ) that could have made this organization a dynasty for years to come, but his ego wouldn't let him give credit where credit was due. Parcell's was a 2nd chance at that, but I guess Jones chose Owens over Bill. Every other coach has been a puppet. Now who's he going to get to come coach this team?
It still amazes me that Cowboy Fans are not upset about this. Jimmy Johnson's first SB team was the youngest in the NFL that year, I have no doubt they would have won 4 straight had Jimmy stayed. Two years after he left, "The Dream Was Over".

:unsure: You've got a owner that gets his face done like a aging starlet. He's second only to Al Davis as far as terrible owners in my book. He had a coach (JJ) that could have made this organization a dynasty for years to come, but his ego wouldn't let him give credit where credit was due. Parcell's was a 2nd chance at that, but I guess Jones chose Owens over Bill. Every other coach has been a puppet. Now who's he going to get to come coach this team?
It still amazes me that Cowboy Fans are not upset about this. Jimmy Johnson's first SB team was the youngest in the NFL that year, I have no doubt they would have won 4 straight had Jimmy stayed. Two years after he left, "The Dream Was Over".
Well, Barry Switzer (a lovable guy, but a joke by NFL standards) rode the wave for another Super Bowl. So that was "proof" that it wasn't Jimmy. As a whole, I challenge you to find a fan base with a lower football IQ than those fans that have flocked to "America's Team". I think of Jessica Simpson as the typical Cowboy's fan. You think she goes after that dork if he's QB of any other team in the NFL? Typical Dallas Cowboys stuff...

:lmao: You've got a owner that gets his face done like a aging starlet. He's second only to Al Davis as far as terrible owners in my book. He had a coach (JJ) that could have made this organization a dynasty for years to come, but his ego wouldn't let him give credit where credit was due. Parcell's was a 2nd chance at that, but I guess Jones chose Owens over Bill. Every other coach has been a puppet. Now who's he going to get to come coach this team?
Well, Barry Switzer (a lovable guy, but a joke by NFL standards) rode the wave for another Super Bowl. So that was "proof" that it wasn't Jimmy. As a whole, I challenge you to find a fan base with a lower football IQ than those fans that have flocked to "America's Team". I think of Jessica Simpson as the typical Cowboy's fan. You think she goes after that dork if he's QB of any other team in the NFL? Typical Dallas Cowboys stuff...
I think Switzer winning it shows that in fact it was Jimmy.

Buffalo Bills and the Cubs are bigger chokers but it is fun hearing people bash the Cowboys. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread