What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dan Patrick: NFL to add a Wildcard in each conference 2015 (1 Viewer)

Goodell keeps trying to fix things that aren't broken and eventually he's going to break something. Pro-football may eventually go the way of baseball and boxing in this country. Just because it's #1 now, doesn't mean it always will be.
So far...it seems everything he does ends up in more money for him and his owners.

Despite the complaints from what appears like very few fans.

Sure...all of the ideas are not great...the London game to me and trying to push a team there would be a logistical cluster f.

A London Super Bowl...meh...other than wanting that kind of money spent here in our economy...to most average fans what does it matter...ticket prices have long since been out of the price range for the main fans.
Do you have some kind of vested interest in what the owners make? Because that's not something I care about. I'm a fan of the sport, not the business. You seem to making the argument that any extra dime the owners can squeeze out of the networks or us the fans trumps any downside.
THe point is...that is who Goodell works for.

In the end...it also shows that people, despite the complaints by some here...are eating up everything the NFL does in record numbers.

Im making the argument that Goodell does not give a rat's behind what people on a fantasy football message board think.

He, and his people are apparently making the right decisions to grow the game and make his owners money.

Goodell keeps trying to fix things that aren't broken and eventually he's going to break something. Pro-football may eventually go the way of baseball and boxing in this country. Just because it's #1 now, doesn't mean it always will be.
So far...it seems everything he does ends up in more money for him and his owners.

Sure...all of the ideas are not great...the London game to me and trying to push a team there would be a logistical cluster f.

A London Super Bowl...meh...other than wanting that kind of money spent here in our economy...to most average fans what does it matter...ticket prices have long since been out of the price range for the main fans.
Do you have some kind of vested interest in what the owners make? Because that's not something I care about. I'm a fan of the sport, not the business. You seem to making the argument that any extra dime the owners can squeeze out of the networks or us the fans trumps any downside.

In the end...it also shows that people, despite the complaints by some here...are eating up everything the NFL does in record numbers.

Im making the argument that Goodell does not give a rat's behind what people on a fantasy football message board think.

He, and his people are apparently making the right decisions to grow the game and make his owners money.
I'm not so sure about that. The history of the league is about building quality over just selling the cheapo version anywhere and everywhere.

Just one more way of ruining the league to make a buck.
I keep hearing this ruining the league thing...yet they had record viewership for wildcard weekend.
Yet..... the game is being...watered down more every year...reffing this season...is worse than ever...absurd penalties crop...up every year...and offensive records...get...demolished regularly...more games and likely a SB...going overseas...owners making more...money doesn't...mean the ga...me is not...being ruined.
are you having a stroke?

I'm not sure there are anyone here that are unclear about who Goodell works for or what he thinks of our opinion. But thanks anyways.

But I'll take issue with your statement about "growing the game". What does that mean? Sure the NFL has made a ####zillion dollars off TV deals but attendance around the league is major issue. I'm not sure there are anymore fans now than there were 10 years ago.

I don't think they are selling the cheapo.

They are selling the game...doing what they can to protect their interests (selling that off as "safety of the players" and so on).

I'm not sure there are anyone here that are unclear about who Goodell works for or what he thinks of our opinion. But thanks anyways.

But I'll take issue with your statement about "growing the game". What does that mean? Sure the NFL has made a ####zillion dollars off TV deals but attendance around the league is major issue. I'm not sure there are anymore fans now than there were 10 years ago.
Will be interesting to see the final attendence figures...GB will be up this year due to the additions to the stadium.

I doubt we see too much of an issue with attendence being down.

And much of that is likely due to factors other than the supposed decline of the game...

-better home experience

-prices...not just tickets but beer and so on...everything goes up all the time

THinking there are not more fans now than 10 years ago I think is incorrect.

Guarantee there are more fans now.

I would love to see more teams in the playoffs and more games on wildcard weekend.

That said, it's bad for the league. It's just me being greedy NOW and wanting to see more NOW. I can't help but think though in the longrun it hurts the overall quality.

I like the Jersey Shore reference from earlier. Good ratings do not equal a good product, and eventually after a while the ratings will more closely match the quality of the product. Right now the quality is fantastic. I just think this would hurt the overall emotion and feelings that go into each game during the regular season. Adding more playoff teams devalues the importance of the regular season games.

Is this a precursor to expanding the league by 2 or 4 teams in a few years?

I do like the balance of the playoff brackets now. Expanding to 7 takes away some of the incentive of the #3 and #4 seeds to keep playing and try to get a first-round bye. But I don't think it's a terrible thing if an 8-8 or 7-9 team gets hot at the right time, wins three straight on the road against the best teams in the conference, and proves they belong in the Super Bowl. And having 6 playoff games on Wild Card weekend sounds awesome - tripleheaders on Saturday and Sunday, I would think. To me, the pros outweight the cons.

Kind of funny, people hate the college system where by the end of the regular season, only the best 2 teams have a shot at the title and they hate an NFL system that allows half the teams a shot at winning the title. It's like the fans want some kind of playoff balance inbetween...hmmm

Kind of funny, people hate the college system where by the end of the regular season, only the best 2 teams have a shot at the title and they hate an NFL system that allows half the teams a shot at winning the title. It's like the fans want some kind of playoff balance inbetween...hmmm
Who hates the current NFL playoff format?

:confused:

It all boils down to money and all of us over 40+ old farks can deal with it as we don't really matter anymore. It's the same with the new fantasy rules and crapa$$ music they play at the SB. With the video game generation everything has to be dumbed down to keep the masses' attention for more than five minutes. This generation of football blows. Signed, disgruntled older fan.

Too much variance in 16 game season with the schedule imbalance. No problem with the extra team, although I think they should have a hosting priority as well as a seeding to ensure that the playoffs reward teams that do well in the regular season.

It all boils down to money and all of us over 40+ old farks can deal with it as we don't really matter anymore. It's the same with the new fantasy rules and crap### music they play at the SB. With the video game generation everything has to be dumbed down to keep the masses' attention for more than five minutes. This generation of football blows. Signed, disgruntled older fan.
:lol:

Its the same as the recent proposals for the World Cup, expanding it from 32 to 40 countries. Sport = Big business...ergo...More games = more TV money.

Just be thankful that the NFL has a degree of financial parity.

I don't really understand all the fuss. How exactly does adding two more games in the playoffs the first weekend "hurt the product" or the quality of what you are watching? They would't be trotting the Texans out there...it would have been two surging teams in the Cards and the Steelers, both of whom would have made it an even game, likely.

Also, with the whole "red shirting the QB" stuff? I don't want to watch Blake Osweiler or Ryan Mallett duke it out until 2016. Imagine all the chowdas hemming and hawing if Brady got lit up by a blitzing free safety two seconds after he released the ball like every QB did in the "olden days" and was out for an extended period of time. People would go mad if their FF teams were effected by a QB injury like that and want Goodell's head. I am not a Goodell apologist, but I think he has done a lot of good for the league...and he certainly isn't "ruining" anything.

They can barely sell out playoff games as it is....now they want to add more?
Yet...they sold out...which was very little to them financially...and had record viewing on TV.
Could lead to a decrease in the viewership of regular season games. As more teams are added to the playoffs the less important regular season games becomes.
Could lead to an increase in viewership, as well, as more teams are playing meaningful games deeper into the season.

What I wonder is, if there has been an increase in viewership. How much can be attributed to changes in the NFL product and how much is due to the popularity of fantasy football.

I wonder if it would ever get to where the NFL is operated in a way the the English Premier League is run. It's a soccer league. My understanding is in that league the teams with the worst records don't qualify to play in the Premier League the next season and the top teams from other leagues take those spots the following season.

Would probably take several decades to get the popularity of football outside the USA up enough to support a system like the soccer league.

Last edited by a moderator:

What I wonder is, if there has been an increase in viewership. How much can be attributed to changes in the NFL product and how much is due to the popularity of fantasy football.

I wonder if it would ever get to where the NFL is operated in a way the the English Premier League is run. It's a soccer league. My understanding is in that league the teams with the worst records don't qualify to play in the Premier League the next season and the top teams from other leagues take those spots the following season.

Would probably take several decades to get the popularity of football outside the USA up enough to support a system like the soccer league.
Those are leagues where everyone plays everyone twice. The limited amount of games and the schedule don't play such a huge part in determining who the top and bottom teams are.

It is also a club system. It will never happen as long as the NCAA is around.

It all boils down to money and all of us over 40+ old farks can deal with it as we don't really matter anymore. It's the same with the new fantasy rules and crap### music they play at the SB. With the video game generation everything has to be dumbed down to keep the masses' attention for more than five minutes. This generation of football blows. Signed, disgruntled older fan.
Dumbed down= I don't get it, so people that do must be dumber than me. Great logic.

I think 2 more games would be great. I just wonder how they'd schedule them all so they don't overlap. Add an early game Saturday and a late game Sunday? Games Thursday and Friday night? Also what about potential conflict with college bowl game scheduling?

I think 2 more games would be great. I just wonder how they'd schedule them all so they don't overlap. Add an early game Saturday and a late game Sunday? Games Thursday and Friday night? Also what about potential conflict with college bowl game scheduling?
It would really suck if they scheduled a wildcard game on Thursday and put it on NFL Network.

Maybe they'll make the SB pay-per-view

I keep hearing this ruining the league thing...yet they had record viewership for wildcard weekend.
Yet..... the game is being...watered down more every year...reffing this season...is worse than ever...absurd penalties crop...up every year...and offensive records...get...demolished regularly...more games and likely a SB...going overseas...owners making more...money doesn't...mean the ga...me is not...being ruined.
are you having a stroke?
I had to check to make sure his screen name wasn't William Shatner related.

Who hates the current NFL playoff format?
I think they should just vote on the 2 best teams like tonight's game.

It would really suck if they scheduled a wildcard game on Thursday and put it on NFL Network.

Maybe they'll make the SB pay-per-view
Was wondering about this as well. I would think a 1, a 4:30 and an 8:00, but that might be a lot for both days. NFLN would make some sense.

Its TWO more games per year. ZOMG! I think the league will survive this drastic change. Part of me likes only one team in each conference snagging a bye.

Watching the Panthers make their way through the NFC west would have been fun.

Arizona first game, San Francisco next, Seattle in the conference championship...

what an idea. between this, London games, Thursday night football between perpetual bottomfeeders, it's like the nfl wants people to lose interest.

Like a few others hinted on, nfl viewership is up because of fantasy football and only because of fantasy football. In my local league, I could count 6 of the 12 owners who have no interest in any nfl team and never did. Their lives revolve around their college team. They only turn on the nfl because of fantasy football.

Also, on the other spectrum, I spend thanksgiving with 3 older relatives who are not into fantasy football. They all played in high school and grew up fans of the game. Not anymore. I spend thanksgiving listening to their complaints about how all the rule changes have ruined the game and they would rather watch college or not at all.

Adding playoff games will make the officiating worse?
How do you get that from what I wrote?

You keep trying Sweeney...keep trying.
He's right.
Talking about his attempt to mock my use of "..." by completely overdoing it.

And the game is not being ruined...at least not to a majority of people out there as the numbers continue to prove.
You're completely overdoing it 99% of the time you do it. Additionally, I didn't "attempt" to mock you.

Like a few others hinted on, nfl viewership is up because of fantasy football and only because of fantasy football. In my local league, I could count 6 of the 12 owners who have no interest in any nfl team and never did. Their lives revolve around their college team. They only turn on the nfl because of fantasy football.
I love it when people say this like it's a truth.

fantasy stud said:
Just my uneducated, humble opinion. Not claiming its fact.
Actually you are. If it's your opinion, you say things like "I think..." os "In my opinion...". When you use a sentence that states something "is" something, there's nothing to suggest that you're stating an opinion.

NetnautX said:
Its TWO more games per year. ZOMG! I think the league will survive this drastic change. Part of me likes only one team in each conference snagging a bye.
It would be interesting to pair the expansion to 7 playoff teams (and only the #1 seed getting a bye) with a new rule where the #1 seed has to lose twice to be eliminated before the super bowl. You'd have to have a bye week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl for it to work.

1. If the #1 seed loses in the divisional round, you'll have 3 teams left. The team that defeated the #1 seed earns a bye for the next round and the #1 seed is still alive and must play the third team. The conference championship game gets bumped to the bye week before the Super Bowl.

2. If the #1 seed wins in the divisional round but loses the next week in the conference championship game, a rematch happens the very next week.

3. If the #1 seed wins its first two playoff games, it gets another bye as normal and plays in the Super Bowl. If it loses there, it doesn't get a second chance.

That would add a lot of weight to winning the #1 seed.

I always wonder how the NFL does with younger fans. If I watched my first game this year, not sure I'd watch a second. 5 minute challenges and non-stop commercials leads to the games having no flow. It can become an ordeal at times to sit through all the crap.

fantasy stud said:
Actually you are. If it's your opinion, you say things like "I think..." os "In my opinion...". When you use a sentence that states something "is" something, there's nothing to suggest that you're stating an opinion.
This is a forum based on opinions. If you dont know it is an opinion, that's on you, not him.

And I definitely THINK that fantasy football has improved ratings. Ah, forget think, I will just call it a fact. Why not. It is.

Its not the ONLY reason, but it's a big one.

NetnautX said:
It would be interesting to pair the expansion to 7 playoff teams (and only the #1 seed getting a bye) with a new rule where the #1 seed has to lose twice to be eliminated before the super bowl. You'd have to have a bye week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl for it to work.

1. If the #1 seed loses in the divisional round, you'll have 3 teams left. The team that defeated the #1 seed earns a bye for the next round and the #1 seed is still alive and must play the third team. The conference championship game gets bumped to the bye week before the Super Bowl.

2. If the #1 seed wins in the divisional round but loses the next week in the conference championship game, a rematch happens the very next week.

3. If the #1 seed wins its first two playoff games, it gets another bye as normal and plays in the Super Bowl. If it loses there, it doesn't get a second chance.

That would add a lot of weight to winning the #1 seed.
lol. imaginitive, but I have a better chance of winning the lottery twice in a row than for anyone in power to consider this.

fantasy stud said:
This is a forum based on opinions. If you dont know it is an opinion, that's on you, not him.

And I definitely THINK that fantasy football has improved ratings. Ah, forget think, I will just call it a fact. Why not. It is.

Its not the ONLY reason, but it's a big one.
Weird, I didn't know that when people posted stats and facts and such that they were just opinions.

We use both here. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread