What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dan Patrick: NFL to add a Wildcard in each conference 2015 (1 Viewer)

netnalp

Footballguy
http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/06/nfl-expanding-playoff-field-wild-card-team/

NFL denies it.

NFL reportedly expanding playoff field; league says ‘no such decision’ reached yet

By Chris Burke

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said during the league’s fall meetings that expanding the playoff field is a priority. Though he set 2015 as the earliest date for implementing those changes, it appears that Goodell has kept the issue on the front burner.

SI’s Andrew Perloff tweeted Monday, via Dan Patrick on The Dan Patrick Show, that “the NFL will add a wild card team in both conferences.”

Should that occur, 14 of the league’s 32 teams would qualify for the postseason — seven in each conference. Goodell also said during his October remarks that such a change would lead to three games per conference on wild-card weekend (currently, there are two), presumably with the No. 1 overall seeds receiving byes. From there, No. 2 would host No. 7, No. 3 would host No. 6, and No. 4 would host No. 5; the divisional round then would pare down to four teams per conference, as it does now.

However, a league spokesman, via SI’s Richard Deitsch, said that “there’s been no such decision.

“It would require a vote of the clubs and it has not yet been taken up with them. If it’s taken up this year, it would happen at the annual meeting in March. The agenda for the meeting has not been formulated.”

That’s less a denial than a postponement of the discussion. Goodell pointed out that the competition committee would handle the change at those annual meetings. Last year, the committee shot down a similar plan.

But expect Goodell to try again.

“If expanding the postseason would allow other teams to get into the dance, and they have the potential of going on and winning the Super Bowl, that’s a good thing for fans, that a good thing competitively,” he said at the fall meetings.

According to NFL.com, a seven-team-per-conference format would not be enacted until at least 2015 due to scheduling issues.

Had that format been in place this season, Pittsburgh and Arizona would have qualified for the playoffs in the AFC and NFC, respectively. The Steelers finished with an 8-8 record and were nipped at the wire by San Diego; the Cardinals missed out on the postseason despite finishing 10-6 — a record that topped NFC North champion Green Bay’s 8-7-1 mark and matched that of 10-6 NFC East champ Philadelphia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry Jones will do anything to get his girls in the playoffs. It sure will enhance the postseason to see a few 7-9 teams on wildcard weekend.

The only thing I can think would #### it up anymore is to make those two extra 7-9 teams play their wildcard game in London. That would be just like Roger G.

Jerry Jones will do anything to get his girls in the playoffs. It sure will enhance the postseason to see a few 7-9 teams on wildcard weekend.
Wouldn't the extra wildcard in the NFC this year have gone to the Cardinals(10-6)?

I was reading what the NFL spokesman was saying the other day when the NFL said that "All options are open" and that's what he said but what he really said in all that was "We are the NFL and we will do whatever the fracking hell we want to and you can't stop us"

I think most know my distrust and also disdain for Roger Goodell at this point but the league just cannot leave well enough alone as usual. Might as well go with an even 16 teams and then no bye weeks for the top seeds, 8 teams from each conference.

Might as well put them all in and make each match up a best of three. Anything to get more game revenue...

Nothing wrong with 8 on each side making it. I understand rewarding teams with byes, but thats why you play the #8 seed at home and always reseed in each round if you are #1 seed.

I can't stand the guy either. I like it the way it is now, but I'll watch like most others will. At least its not as bad as his London obsession or wussification of the game I guess. Those will/are ruining the game much worse.

Since he is going to force this upon us as well, anyone know how the format breaks down?

Nothing wrong with 8 on each side making it. I understand rewarding teams with byes, but thats why you play the #8 seed at home and always reseed in each round if you are #1 seed.
Fail.

That's half the NFL teams making the playoffs. Do you really think an average NFL team deserves the Super Bowl ring if they are mediocre all regular season (16 games) and happen to get hot for a 3 game stretch?

Pathetic.

Fail.

That's half the NFL teams making the playoffs. Do you really think an average NFL team deserves the Super Bowl ring if they are mediocre all regular season (16 games) and happen to get hot for a 3 game stretch?

Pathetic.
The 2007 & 2009 Giants and 2012 Ravens would like to have a word...

Just one more way of ruining the league to make a buck.
I keep hearing this ruining the league thing...yet they had record viewership for wildcard weekend.
These two things are not mutually exclusive, sho.

Jersey Shore got great ratings at first. That didn't mean it was quality TV.
Seems all the things that is supposedly ruining things is having zero effect on how many people are watching it.

Face it...those complaing about this won't quit watching...who would really complain about having another great postseason game?

18 game schedule, super bowl in London, half the league makes the playoffs, wear pink all year round... #goodellsnfl

I heard Patrick say this this morning and I believe him.

The NFL under Goodell has forgotten the most important thing that gave them an advantage over other leagues: the quality of the game and competitiveness.

This just gets the NFL closer to the NBA and MLB. It's a dumb move on their part, IMO.

So much crying in here.
Talk about crying, I agree part of this has to be internally generated by the Jerry Joneses of the league crying they just can't get their team in the playoffs - so hey let's change the rules.

It stinks and it just encourages the whiners.

I also agree with Patrick's comments this morning that since the NFL can't seem to get an 18 game season out of the NFLPA they will get an extra week into the schedule this way. Nothing more than a play-in for the mediocre, like the NCAA's allowing the Nos. 65-68 duke it out to gain entree.

Ok on the Cards, but Pittsburgh, the Jets, the Phins, none of them belonged in the playoffs.

The NFL under Goodell has forgotten the most important thing that gave them an advantage over other leagues: the quality of the game and competitiveness.

This just gets the NFL closer to the NBA and MLB. It's a dumb move on their part, IMO.
Goes back to my post a week or so ago about is all this parity good for the NFL?

So much crying in here.
Talk about crying, I agree part of this has to be internally generated by the Jerry Joneses of the league crying they just can't get their team in the playoffs - so hey let's change the rules.

It stinks and it just encourages the whiners.

I also agree with Patrick's comments this morning that since the NFL can't seem to get an 18 game season out of the NFLPA they will get an extra week into the schedule this way. Nothing more than a play-in for the mediocre, like the NCAA's allowing the Nos. 65-68 duke it out to gain entree.

Ok on the Cards, but Pittsburgh, the Jets, the Phins, none of them belonged in the playoffs.
It would have made for another great playoff game in all liklihood.

They really are doing everything in their power to #### this league up
So we would have added Carolina vs Arizona and New England vs I presume Pittsburgh this weekend? That's bad?
Yeah I don't understand how having another game in each conference being played as a bad thing. I like the idea of just the #1 seed getting a bye and then 2-7 playing in the first week. It's still less than half of the teams in the league, it's an extra game to watch and as long as they re-seed as well and not have division winners automatically host a game I like it.

I keep hearing this ruining the league thing...yet they had record viewership for wildcard weekend.
Yet..... the game is being...watered down more every year...reffing this season...is worse than ever...absurd penalties crop...up every year...and offensive records...get...demolished regularly...more games and likely a SB...going overseas...owners making more...money doesn't...mean the ga...me is not...being ruined.

Goes back to my post a week or so ago about is all this parity good for the NFL?
Worth revisiting, qood question.

I don't think the old days of 4 playoff teams in each conference and the Vikes, Rams, Cowboys, Raiders, Dolphins and Steelers dominating their divisions every year was good, but some balance is necessary.

Now QBs aren't football players, DBs can't play defense, and I say that not because of some 'wimpiness' accusation, I say it because it mucks with the rules of the game. One ref calls roughing or holding or grounding one way, another ref calls it another way and it changes the game, or maybe the same refs call it differently in the same game. And a defender can do everything right and still be wrong. It brings into the fairness and quality of the actual sport.

I don't think it's a parity thing, I think it's about quality of the game and encouraging mediocrity.

Yet..... the game is being...watered down more every year...reffing this season...is worse than ever...absurd penalties crop...up every year...and offensive records...get...demolished regularly...more games and likely a SB...going overseas...owners making more...money doesn't...mean the ga...me is not...being ruined.
You keep trying Sweeney...keep trying.

He's right.

He's right.
Talking about his attempt to mock my use of "..." by completely overdoing it.

And the game is not being ruined...at least not to a majority of people out there as the numbers continue to prove.

Correct!!!

By the way, they may think they're making more money now, but it also means the long term viability and health of the league and the value of their own team will be hurt.

Obvious money grab by Goodell and I feel a small sense of resentment towards him for it, but I will very likely watch anyways.

Goodell keeps trying to fix things that aren't broken and eventually he's going to break something. Pro-football may eventually go the way of baseball and boxing in this country. Just because it's #1 now, doesn't mean it always will be.

Goodell keeps trying to fix things that aren't broken and eventually he's going to break something. Pro-football may eventually go the way of baseball and boxing in this country. Just because it's #1 now, doesn't mean it always will be.
So far...it seems everything he does ends up in more money for him and his owners.

Despite the complaints from what appears like very few fans.

Sure...all of the ideas are not great...the London game to me and trying to push a team there would be a logistical cluster f.

A London Super Bowl...meh...other than wanting that kind of money spent here in our economy...to most average fans what does it matter...ticket prices have long since been out of the price range for the main fans.

Adding playoff games will make the officiating worse?

So far...it seems everything he does ends up in more money for him and his owners.

Despite the complaints from what appears like very few fans.

Sure...all of the ideas are not great...the London game to me and trying to push a team there would be a logistical cluster f.

A London Super Bowl...meh...other than wanting that kind of money spent here in our economy...to most average fans what does it matter...ticket prices have long since been out of the price range for the main fans.
Do you have some kind of vested interest in what the owners make? Because that's not something I care about. I'm a fan of the sport, not the business. You seem to making the argument that any extra dime the owners can squeeze out of the networks or us the fans trumps any downside.

Adding playoff games will make the officiating worse?
More games means more officials reffing games that normally wouldn't grade out highly enough to work the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread