What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Davenport to re-sign with Pack (1 Viewer)

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=410894

one year deal...not sure on terms yet....adds depth...probably shows they will not go RB in the draft.
This just signals to me that no other team wanted him.
I'm a little surprised the Packers did. With Gado's emergence and Green returning I don't see how Davenport fits. But at least they'll have decent depth assuming all of them can stay healthy (big if in terms of Davenport and Green to a lesser extent).

one year deal...not sure on terms yet....adds depth...probably shows they will not go RB in the draft.
If you believe Drew...then if you had read the article you would have seen..."Najeh will be in Green Bay Sunday night and he'll sign the contract Monday," Rosenhaus said. "We had several teams that were interested in him, but he really enjoys playing for the Packers and he wanted it to stay that way. He's very happy to get it squared away. It's good news."

I'm a little surprised the Packers did. With Gado's emergence and Green returning I don't see how Davenport fits. But at least they'll have decent depth assuming all of them can stay healthy (big if in terms of Davenport and Green to a lesser extent).
Depth...get a hard runner. Need to keep him off of special teams where it looks like he keeps getting hurt...Depending on the terms...his talent might be worth the risk.

It's worth having him for depth if the price is right (which I'm assuming is the case). It'll be interesting to see how the RB picture shakes out behind Green. Whoever wins the backup job will get at least a handful of carries a game so there will be some value here - especially since he could get goal-line carries as well.

best he can be is the #2 RB in GB.
I wouldn't dump on him so quickly. This guy has great movements for someone his size. He could really drop one on opposing defenses if given the chance. The one thing that concerns me is how pooped he looks after a long run.

I think the Packers now have three backs who are capable of starting in the NFL, but all of them have enough questions that the position is still unsettled. It will be interesting to see how the roster turns out if they decide to take a back in the draft, which wouldn't be a bad decision in my opinion.

I wouldn't dump on him so quickly. This guy has great movements for someone his size. He could really drop one on opposing defenses if given the chance. The one thing that concerns me is how pooped he looks after a long run.
He pinches a mean loaf. :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE(gman8343 @ Mar 25 2006, 10:59 PM)

"dump..drop one..pooped"..very funny...

I think it's a good signing. Gives a chance to see if Gado is for real, and decent relief for Green.

(my bad for not knowing how to use the quote function?

Green Bay still doesn't have a running back! All three are still recovering.

But Davenport seems to be closes to recovered of the 3 from what I was told. Green the farthest to go. And Gado somewhere in between.

Davenport does impress me. But he never makes it thru a game.

Looks like a RB by committee to me. Or just like last year running back by health it should be called. All 3 are no better then RB 3'S to me going into this year.

Green Bay still doesn't have a running back!  All three are still recovering. 

Davenport does impress me. But he never makes it thru a game.

Looks like a RB by committee to me.  Or just like last year running back by health it should be called.  All 3 are no better then RB 3'S to me going into this year.
yeah there a bunch of achy knees aren't they? need a nickname

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: Agreed. At 6'1" and 247 pounds he's a real (ahem) load for the defense.

Seriously, doesn't he also have the ability to play FB too? Potential value for the Pack may be his versatility, not sure if this is accurate though....

Am I the only one that still wonders if he and Ahman are better than Gado?
Not on this board, plenty of Gado love out there. I am in the camp that its Ahman's gig and he's stil got a few good years left, but 2006 will be a telling year for Green.

Am I the only one that still wonders if he and Ahman are better than Gado?
Not on this board, plenty of Gado love out there. I am in the camp that its Ahman's gig and he's stil got a few good years left, but 2006 will be a telling year for Green.
Yep Gado-lovers have been awfully quiet since Ahman Green re-signed. :ph34r: With Najeh Davenport re-signing, Gado-lovers will deny ever having a man-crush over him in the first place.

I agree with the above poster. It's Ahman's job as long as he can perform at a decent level.

Nice move by the Pack. This allows them to deal with other positions this offseason. Between Green, Port and Gado the job should get done. If Port or Gado prove they can be a legit #1 than all the better. Also, getting Green and Port signed for low money is an extra plus.

As for Port my guess is one of two things happened. One, no other team was really interested in giving up a contract worth too much. The other thing is he may want to get healthy and go into free agency next season healthy with a little more on his resume hoping it will increase is hand.

:lmao: Agreed. At 6'1" and 247 pounds he's a real (ahem) load for the defense.

Seriously, doesn't he also have the ability to play FB too? Potential value for the Pack may be his versatility, not sure if this is accurate though....
Played FB in college at the U.

Nice move by the Pack. This allows them to deal with other positions this offseason. Between Green, Port and Gado the job should get done. If Port or Gado prove they can be a legit #1 than all the better. Also, getting Green and Port signed for low money is an extra plus.

As for Port my guess is one of two things happened. One, no other team was really interested in giving up a contract worth too much. The other thing is he may want to get healthy and go into free agency next season healthy with a little more on his resume hoping it will increase is hand.
I agree with the latter. While I think he had some teams interested due to Davenport's history of injuries I just don't think he was getting the offer he was looking for. Why not go back to GB for a year? His competition is a RB coming off a serious injury and has a ton of mileage and another who's also coming of an injury and is nothing more than a career backup. Sorry Gado fans but he's average at best.

If Davenport can stay healthy (granted a big if) he should see quite a few carries and probably some more, larger contract offers next off season.

All this spells is a mess in GB. 3 injured backs will be back for a year. In order to lock up the GB running game you will have to waste 3 roster spots. GB of 2006 may be the Minnesota of 2002-2005

Users who are viewing this thread