What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Sutton (1 Viewer)

Our Gang

Footballguy
He has been getting alot of love in the fins camp.

Some Blogs from fins training camp from Bedard of the Palm Beach Post.

Rookie free-agent David Sutton could be a go-to WR in the red zone in a couple of years. He moves well for his size (6-6, 223) and makes more circus catches than anyone but Chris Chambers. Cam Cameron might have found a player in the mold of San Diego’s Vincent Jackson, a 6-5, 241-pound ex-hoops star, who had six TDs in 27 catches last season for the Chargers.

My boy Sutton catches a TD from Hamdan on the final play of the drill.

Dolphins are working on a lot of fade paSutton made an outstanding leaping catch over S Geoff Pope. I’m telling you, Sutton is a guy to watch.

Chambers and Sutton have exceled. Ginn doesn’t seem to like the physical play in this area of the field (that was a knock on him at Ohio State) but, boy, does he get off the ball well. He’s definitely a glider

WR David Sutton is making a name for himself. He’ll be a forced to be reckoned with come training camp;

I'm lazy. Do you have links to these blogs or other sources? Is some of this your personal observation? Sounds interesting.

Not that lazy. RF365 is not a good source, but here's all I could find:

Phins minicamp report

• Wide receiver David Sutton was the media darling of the event who by all accounts performed well-above expectations. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound undrafted rookie from UTEP certainly is a tantalizing prospect, but absurdly tall WR projects -- Clarence Moore and Vincent Jackson come to mind -- are a mixed bag at best in terms of results. He does seem to have soft hands as well as exceptional size and speed; but it's just hard to believe that a player who only had six catches for 30 yards during his two-year Division I-A collegiate career will ever be a viable weapon in the NFL. Sutton could turn out to be a fine receiver, but fans should temper their expectations for now.

Not that lazy. RF365 is not a good source, but here's all I could find:

Phins minicamp report

• Wide receiver David Sutton was the media darling of the event who by all accounts performed well-above expectations. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound undrafted rookie from UTEP certainly is a tantalizing prospect, but absurdly tall WR projects -- Clarence Moore and Vincent Jackson come to mind -- are a mixed bag at best in terms of results. He does seem to have soft hands as well as exceptional size and speed; but it's just hard to believe that a player who only had six catches for 30 yards during his two-year Division I-A collegiate career will ever be a viable weapon in the NFL. Sutton could turn out to be a fine receiver, but fans should temper their expectations for now.
here is one:http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont.../miamidolphins/

I just want to say, that it is threads like this that make me love these boards. And nobody has mentioned that Chris Chambers may be a few drops away from the bench.

Ok, i know speed isnt everything, but a 4.35 for a 6-6 dude? 16 catches, 445 yards...dont care what level you are at, that is incredible...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy: UTEP

Release: 03/23/2005

2006 OUTLOOK: Moved to slot receiver during the spring, better suiting his talents ... showed that he is beginning to harness his raw athletic ability ... physical specimen who could emerge as an offensive weapon for UTEP in 2006.

2005 (JUNIOR): Played in eight of 12 games ... caught two passes for 12 yards, including a touchdown against Texas Southern ... first career reception was a two-yard TD pass from Jordan Palmer.

PRIOR TO UTEP: Spent one year at Lincoln (Mo.) University and another at Compton CC after graduating from Long Beach Poly High School ... did not play football until he arrived at Lincoln University ... set a freshman record with an 89-yard pass reception at Lincoln ... ended the 2003 season with 16 catches for 445 yards and six touchdowns ... totaled 15 catches for 400 yards with two scores last season at Compton ... member of the most explosive offensive team in California in 2004 ... coached by Cornell Ward at Compton CC ... two-year letterwinner in track as a prep, competing in the high jump and long jump ... also competed in volleyball in high school, earning team MVP his junior year and most-improved player his sophomore season ... runs the 40 in 4.35 seconds.

PERSONAL: Full name is David Deion Sutton ... mother is Debra Smith ... has two sisters ... cousin, Tyus Edny, is a former basketball standout at UCLA ... born 5/30/84 (Westminster, Calif.) ... multidisciplinary studies major.

Rookie free-agent David Sutton could be a go-to WR in the red zone in a couple of years. He moves well for his size (6-6, 223) and makes more circus catches than anyone but Chris Chambers. Cam Cameron might have found a player in the mold of San Diego’s Vincent Jackson, a 6-5, 241-pound ex-hoops star, who had six TDs in 27 catches last season for the Chargers.

Sutton made an outstanding leaping catch over S Geoff Pope. I’m telling you, Sutton is a guy to watch.

Chambers and Sutton have exceled. Ginn doesn’t seem to like the physical play in this area of the field (that was a knock on him at Ohio State) but, boy, does he get off the ball well. He’s definitely a glider

WR David Sutton is making a name for himself. He’ll be a forced to be reckoned with come training camp;
Big Props to Our Gang for shedding the light on this potential stud. This could be our Colston 2.0 :tinfoilhat: Theres been a little info about him here and there I rounded up in this post to help get a good fantasy scout on him.Photo of Sutton (passes the eye test) - http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z124/Sc0rpi043/sutton.jpg

Name: David Sutton

Height/Weight: 6-6, 222

Position: WR

Born: 5/30/84

College: Texas E-Paso '07

Acquired: FA, '07

NFL: Rookie

Dolphins: Rookie

Sutton did not play football while attending Long Beach Polytechnic High School. However, he was a two-year letterman in track and field, competing in the high jump and long jump. He also competed in volleyball in high school, earning team MVP his junior year and most-improved player his sophomore season.

Notes from mini camp upto now -

(realfootball365.com) July 27th - WR David Sutton (undrafted) - Not only has Sutton been the offseason's best surprise for Miami, apparently he's the team's best dunker (even better than Michael Malone, Moses Malone's son). He's still drawing rave reviews, and with his blend of size and athleticism could, he very well make the team. He's reminiscent of the San Diego Chargers ' Vincent Jackson, a former Cam Cameron project.

(Palm Beach Post) July 27th - DAVIE — Charles Collins, who makes his living developing receivers, has overseen his share of rising stars. He believes he's found another one, even if the Dolphins aren't quite sure what to make of rookie David Sutton.

Sutton, who is 6-feet-6 and 222 pounds but wasn't drafted this spring, made plays and won his coaches' confidence during rookie camp this week.

But Collins, who helped develop All-Pros Chad Johnson and Steve Smith, and Sutton understand that good practices before the veterans even report today count for only so much.

"I just try to make plays every day so I can stay around here," said Sutton, who signed May 4 as a free agent from Texas-El Paso and also was impressive in Dolphins mini-camps. "But that doesn't mean anything now. You can't live on the past."

These days, Sutton's future is his main selling point.

His lack of experience and production, including just six catches in two seasons at UTEP, cost him any chance to be drafted. But his potential earned him a look.

Collins, who runs an off-season training camp for receivers in Los Angeles, isn't surprised. But he also isn't close to satisfied.

"He has a high bar to live up to," said Collins, 44, who also trains established NFL receivers T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Dennis Northcutt. "The light hasn't come on yet. He's making plays and whatnot, but I also know what he's capable of doing."

Collins said he regularly warns Johnson, whom he coached at Santa Monica College, to keep an eye out for Sutton.

"I keep telling him I've found a bigger version of Chad Johnson," Collins said. "Chad laughs right now, but this kid has a chance to be really good."

Dolphins receiver coach Terry Robiskie, who said he never had heard of Sutton until this spring, is impressed but cautious in his assessment.

"The big thing for David is to keep it up," said Robiskie, who said the priority for Sutton is learning the Dolphins' offense.

"I'm in my playbook and trying to learn things, but my lack of playing football inhibits me," Sutton said.

Sutton said he sat on the bench during his only season of high school football in Long Beach, Calif. He played one season at Lincoln University of Missouri, a Division II school in Jefferson City, and one season at Compton (Calif.) Community College before heading to El Paso.

Each step of the way, no one questioned his athletic gifts. He was a high school All-America volleyball player who said he received multiple scholarship offers in that sport. He said he was a 7-foot high jumper in only two seasons in track and field.

But Collins said Sutton was "goofy, clumsy and immature" when he first saw him at his receivers' camp three summers ago.

Collins said Sutton didn't seem to really care until his career at UTEP wound down.

"He wanted to play football, but he was frustrated because he didn't know what to do," Collins said. "I didn't know how bad he wanted it. Then, he called me every day his senior year.

"He convinced me to work with him. He bugged the heck out of me."

Miami's five available active roster spots at receiver seem to be filled, but Marty Booker and Az-Zahir Hakim both are 30. If Sutton earns a spot on the eight-man practice squad, he might one day join Chris Chambers, Derek Hagan and rookie Ted Ginn Jr. on the 53-man roster.

"(Coaches) made a statement, we're all out here fighting for zero spots because nothing's guaranteed for us," Sutton said of the rookies. "So you have to make a play a day just to get recognized - and not make any mistakes, which is hard."

Collins believes things will get easier and easier for Sutton.

"He can realize he can be very good and he can dominate," Collins said. "That's the goal."

(Sun Sentinel) June 27th - Despite his inexperience, instead of soaring for spikes, Sutton, 23, has been leaping for end-zone lobs in this week's rookie camp as he attempts to earn a roster spot or practice squad berth on the Dolphins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sutton made an outstanding leaping catch over S Geoff Pope. I’m telling you, Sutton is a guy to watch.

Big Props to Our Gang for shedding the light on this potential stud. This could be our Colston 2.0 :lmao: Theres been a little info about him here and there I rounded up in this post to help get a good fantasy scout on him.Photo of Sutton (passes the eye test) - http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z124/Sc0rpi043/sutton.jpg

Name: David Sutton

Height/Weight: 6-6, 222

Position: WR

Born: 5/30/84

College: Texas E-Paso '07

Acquired: FA, '07

NFL: Rookie

Dolphins: Rookie

Sutton did not play football while attending Long Beach Polytechnic High School. However, he was a two-year letterman in track and field, competing in the high jump and long jump. He also competed in volleyball in high school, earning team MVP his junior year and most-improved player his sophomore season.

Notes from mini camp upto now -

(realfootball365.com) July 27th - WR David Sutton (undrafted) - Not only has Sutton been the offseason's best surprise for Miami, apparently he's the team's best dunker (even better than Michael Malone, Moses Malone's son). He's still drawing rave reviews, and with his blend of size and athleticism could, he very well make the team. He's reminiscent of the San Diego Chargers ' Vincent Jackson, a former Cam Cameron project.

(Palm Beach Post) July 27th - DAVIE — Charles Collins, who makes his living developing receivers, has overseen his share of rising stars. He believes he's found another one, even if the Dolphins aren't quite sure what to make of rookie David Sutton.

Sutton, who is 6-feet-6 and 222 pounds but wasn't drafted this spring, made plays and won his coaches' confidence during rookie camp this week.

But Collins, who helped develop All-Pros Chad Johnson and Steve Smith, and Sutton understand that good practices before the veterans even report today count for only so much.

"I just try to make plays every day so I can stay around here," said Sutton, who signed May 4 as a free agent from Texas-El Paso and also was impressive in Dolphins mini-camps. "But that doesn't mean anything now. You can't live on the past."

These days, Sutton's future is his main selling point.

His lack of experience and production, including just six catches in two seasons at UTEP, cost him any chance to be drafted. But his potential earned him a look.

Collins, who runs an off-season training camp for receivers in Los Angeles, isn't surprised. But he also isn't close to satisfied.

"He has a high bar to live up to," said Collins, 44, who also trains established NFL receivers T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Dennis Northcutt. "The light hasn't come on yet. He's making plays and whatnot, but I also know what he's capable of doing."

Collins said he regularly warns Johnson, whom he coached at Santa Monica College, to keep an eye out for Sutton.

"I keep telling him I've found a bigger version of Chad Johnson," Collins said. "Chad laughs right now, but this kid has a chance to be really good."

Dolphins receiver coach Terry Robiskie, who said he never had heard of Sutton until this spring, is impressed but cautious in his assessment.

"The big thing for David is to keep it up," said Robiskie, who said the priority for Sutton is learning the Dolphins' offense.

"I'm in my playbook and trying to learn things, but my lack of playing football inhibits me," Sutton said.

Sutton said he sat on the bench during his only season of high school football in Long Beach, Calif. He played one season at Lincoln University of Missouri, a Division II school in Jefferson City, and one season at Compton (Calif.) Community College before heading to El Paso.

Each step of the way, no one questioned his athletic gifts. He was a high school All-America volleyball player who said he received multiple scholarship offers in that sport. He said he was a 7-foot high jumper in only two seasons in track and field.

But Collins said Sutton was "goofy, clumsy and immature" when he first saw him at his receivers' camp three summers ago.

Collins said Sutton didn't seem to really care until his career at UTEP wound down.

"He wanted to play football, but he was frustrated because he didn't know what to do," Collins said. "I didn't know how bad he wanted it. Then, he called me every day his senior year.

"He convinced me to work with him. He bugged the heck out of me."

Miami's five available active roster spots at receiver seem to be filled, but Marty Booker and Az-Zahir Hakim both are 30. If Sutton earns a spot on the eight-man practice squad, he might one day join Chris Chambers, Derek Hagan and rookie Ted Ginn Jr. on the 53-man roster.

"(Coaches) made a statement, we're all out here fighting for zero spots because nothing's guaranteed for us," Sutton said of the rookies. "So you have to make a play a day just to get recognized - and not make any mistakes, which is hard."

Collins believes things will get easier and easier for Sutton.

"He can realize he can be very good and he can dominate," Collins said. "That's the goal."

(Sun Sentinel) June 27th - Despite his inexperience, instead of soaring for spikes, Sutton, 23, has been leaping for end-zone lobs in this week's rookie camp as he attempts to earn a roster spot or practice squad berth on the Dolphins.
:goodposting: What took you so long to post?

:)

more comments on Sutton -

Phinfever Aug 1st (Tom Eddie)

"Sutton has made a few catches during these drills, and one thing I notice about him is the effort he gives after every catch. His work ethic is impressive, and even when he's touch tackled after only a short gain, he runs all the way down the field into the endzone, then running back. I like this kid, and if he continues to improve his routes during the remainder of TC / into the pre-season, he could emerge into a very solid WR for us. You never know with these kinds of players who come out of nowhere. I'm not going go overboard on Sutton just yet, but we could have uncovered a hidden gem with him...."

:thumbup:

What took you so long to post?

:)

:lmao: Gotta keep the gameface on til after the drafts CN

Interesting, which our dynasty was deeper and maybe I'd roster him. - remind me after some of my other players get cut.

palm beach post-

Rookie Kerry Reed looks faster and smoother than Hakim, but this also is only practice. David Sutton, at 6-6, 222 pounds, would offer a totally different kind of player for Cam Cameron’s offense.

I’m a Sutton fan, but Reed might have a slight edge right now.

Updates

Recent Depth Chart -

WR: Chris Chambers, Derek Hagan/David Sutton, P.K. Sam/Marvin Allen

WR: Marty Booker, Ted Ginn/Kerry Reed, Az-Zahir Hakim/Michael Malone

Phins.com Aug 2nd

The most interesting competition going on right now appears to be for the last wide receivers spot. Assuming that the Dolphins are going to keep 5 wide receivers and assuming that Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, Derek Hagan and Ted Ginn are almost certainly going to stay, that leaves one spot left. So far, that competition seems to be boiling down to Kerry Reed, David Sutton and Az Hakim.

Reed seems to be making more big plays and has more experience, but Sutton has had his share of big plays and has unusual physical gifts at 6'6" and 222 pounds. Sutton also has a background in volleyball of all things, meaning he is trained to jump. Az Hakim has the lead in NFL experience, but hasn't been practicing as much.

Of course, the Dolphins can put Reed and/or Sutton on the practice squad, but then they run the chance of losing them to another team.

CBS Sportsline Aug 3rd

The best pass of the day was Beck to wide receiver David Sutton in between linebacker Kelvin Smith and cornerback Tuff Harris. A quick, accurate strike in traffic.

Nice Sutton write up from the Miami Herald Aug 5th

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/193282.html

FLORIDA TODAY AUG 15

Sutton 'grateful' for chance

DAVIE - David Sutton grew up in a neighborhood where sports weren't just a way out for those who could excel at them.

They were a refuge. A safe haven. And God knows, he needed one.

"There was gang violence all the time," he said. "When I started playing all those sports . . . I didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay where I was, stay out of trouble. It got me to where I am now.

"The neighborhood, it wasn't the worst, but it wasn't good at all. I got jumped so many times . . . I lost friends, I lost a brother. I lost everything. It was hard, but that's basically why I did what I did. Every sport that came up, I played it, so I could stay away from home."

For the 23-year-old Sutton, who grew up in Compton, Calif., before going to high school at Long Beach, "now" is a locker stall at the Miami Dolphins training facility. The 6-foot-6, 222-pound wide receiver is trying to make the final roster as an undrafted rookie free agent.

And in a room full of men who have been playing football most of their lives, Sutton is an anomaly. As a kid, he played baseball and basketball. He ran track. And he was so good in volleyball, he could have earned a Division I scholarship.

But football?

After reaching the state meet in track, his high jump coach, Curt Jones, asked him to try it. Jones died of a heart attack shortly thereafter.

Sutton spent a year at Lincoln (Mo.) University before transferring back to Compton Community College. And then it happened one night.

His best friend since sophomore year at Long Beach Poly, Willie J. Pigram, called to see if Sutton wanted to go out that night. Sutton declined, citing a big headache. He decided to baby-sit for his nephew instead.

Later that night, he got a call from his other best friend, USC safety Darnell Bing -- Pigram's cousin. Willie Pigram had been shot nine times. He was dead.

"That took everything out of me," Sutton said. "(Willie) wasn't a gang-banger. He wasn't nothing. He just liked fixing cars. He fixed a car and when he finally got the car the way he wanted it, he took it out. He was just driving and having fun . . . and somebody walked up and shot him.

"They were going to take the car, but he was still in the car, so they just left him. No apparent reason."

Sutton turned his back to reveal Willie's face, tattooed on his back. It's one of several tattoos he has that bear his friend's name.

For a brief time, football didn't matter to Sutton. He couldn't focus. He sat out six games. But in the end, he decided he would carry on for his friend, and his former coach.

"They got me here," he said. "I'm blessed. They're my energy right now."

After finishing up at Compton, Sutton went to UTEP. In two seasons, he caught six passes for 30 yards and a touchdown. Hardly the numbers of a potential draft pick. But the Dolphins saw enough in Sutton to bring him in for a post-draft tryout and eventually signed him.

Now he's trying to make the roster at a position that already is crowded with Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, first-round draft pick Ted Ginn Jr. and Derek Hagan. He may not have the experience everyone on the Dolphins roster does, but he has the size to be an intriguing red zone threat and has shown enough that he warrants a closer look in the final three preseason games. Miami visits Kansas City on Thursday.

"David hasn't played a lot of football," Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said. "He's been a premier volleyball player, and played a little bit at UTEP, but he's improved tremendously. He gets that big body running pretty fast. He's a guy that . . . it's just going to take some time.

"There's some guys he reminds me of. There's something there, we're just not sure what it is yet."

To make the team, Sutton knows he will have to play well in Miami's final three preseason games. Before the Dolphins opened their schedule against Jacksonville last Saturday, he sat in his hotel room and envisioned what it would be like to be on the field, as a professional football player.

The coaches said the veterans were going to get a long look in the first half, but still he was hoping to get in for more than four plays. Not that he was complaining.

"I figured I was going to play a lot more, but what can I say, man?" he said. "It happened the way it happened. It was still a feeling that I've never experienced, just being out there. I'm satisfied. I'm grateful. At practice, I'm going to work on my mistakes. The more they trust me, the more I'll play."

Sutton knows he has a lot to learn -- how to get out of his breaks, the right way to look for the ball, how to run precise routes, hand positioning, and reading defenses.

It might take a season or two on the practice squad. But wouldn't it be a story if he made the team? Basketball players, such as San Diego tight end Antonio Gates, have switched sports with rousing success. But volleyball players?

"I've been doing well, I'm guessing," he said of training camp. "I just know when these preseason games come, I've just got to play my best and give it all I've got. If that's not enough, then it wasn't meant for me to be here. It's not in my hands. My destiny's already pretty much pre-planned. Whatever's going to happen is going to happen. Whatever it is, I'm just grateful."

Users who are viewing this thread