What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DE Chase Young, NO (1 Viewer)

49ers should have went after Sweat instead

:wall:
Would they have traded a 2 AND given the contract to him the Bears did? I'm guessing no.
IDK, I have no idea what they paid him, just saying in hindsight it would have been a much more productive move.
They signed him to a 4 year $98M extension. And also paid what looks a top 40 pick.

So to beat that you guys would have had to give up our 2024 1st or like the 2nd and 3rd.

Like I said, I'm betting you guys wouldn't have done that.

But ya know, John could have called me, I would have told him Chase Young is a turd.

Would they have traded a 2 AND given the contract to him the Bears did? I'm guessing no.
IDK, I have no idea what they paid him, just saying in hindsight it would have been a much more productive move.
They signed him to a 4 year $98M extension. And also paid what looks a top 40 pick.

So to beat that you guys would have had to give up our 2024 1st or like the 2nd and 3rd.

But ya know, John could have called me, I would have told him Chase Young is a turd.
Yeah, Sweat wasn't an option then.

It doesn't matter, we have Young for one more game, hopefully he can get a sack or TFL or something.

Sweat obviously wasn’t an option. Young was a dime store rental. A cheap lotto ticket with a big prize. Sadly it was a losing ticket. Wasn’t a make or break move. I liked that they rolled the dice and took the chance, wasn’t much to lose. They’ve punted much more than the 95th pick in the last couple of years.

Yeah, Sweat wasn't an option then.

It doesn't matter, we have Young for one more game, hopefully he can get a sack or TFL or something.
Or just show up and put in some effort. Sadly that’s where I’ve landed on him at this juncture.

Rookie of the Year in 2020
Injuries take their tolls in '21 and '22
Then he is traded last year and finishes in San Fran, numbers from '23 similar to his 2020 Rookie numbers.

Assuming he can get better, he's only 24, soon to be 25, still young and perhaps can be coached up more into the 10-12 sacks per year range.
Probably a good gamble for the Saints and will need a strong pass rush to deal with a new QB in Atlanta. Carolina has brought in reinforcements along the OL
Bucs are bringing Baker back and strengthening their OL, not a bad idea to sign a potential impact Edge player.

Montez Sweat has proven himself to be significantly better than Chase Young. Sweat lead the Commanders AND the Bears in sacks last year and is solid against the run. Chase Young hasn't played as hard or made the same improvements Sweat has.

Jonathan Jones
New Saints pass rusher Chase Young's one-year, $13 million contract includes $7.99 million in per-game roster bonuses, per source.

Base: $2.7M
Signing bonus: $1.86M
Workout bonus: $450k
Per-game roster bonuses: $7.99M

Albert Breer
So new Saints DE Chase Young gets $5.01 million, and the remaining $7.99 million will be tied to him being on the active roster on gameday—which protects the team, in the case that he's not ready to roll.

FWIW, this is probably the biggest per-game roster bonus number I've seen.

Albert Breer on Chase Young:

Some background on Saints DE Chase Young's deal: Scans on his neck made it tough to find a suitor. No one would clear him on his physical. The condition was initially found after he had a stinger last year vs. the Browns in preseason.

He'll have neck surgery tomorrow.

The idea in doing the 1-year deal with the Saints, with $5.01 million guaranteed, and $7.99 million in per-game rosters, was to allow for Young to get locked in with a team, go through the 3-5 month rehab from surgery, and have a chance to make the money back.

And with the per-game rosters, really, this protects the team and the player—it's 100% based on his ability to get cleared to play. The neck condition was a factor, too, in his trade market back in October. The Bears weren't comfortable with the scans. The Niners were.

And with the per-game rosters, really, this protects the team and the player—it's 100% based on his ability to get cleared to play. The neck condition was a factor, too, in his trade market back in October. The Bears weren't comfortable with the scans. The Niners were.
Interesting note on #Saints DE Chase Young’s contract. Not out of the ordinary, but an important detail. 16 of his 17 per-game roster bonuses are “likely to be earned” meaning they charge to 2024’s cap. However, they’re being treated as a signing bonus, prorated over 5 years.

:ROFLMAO:

Saints finding new ways to burn future cap dollars

Users who are viewing this thread