What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeAngelo Williams Pro-Day (1 Viewer)

Two runs 4.40 and 4.48. Generally, NFL.com is a good place to get pro day info especially when big days come around. They update info during the workouts.

From Great Blue North Draft Report:

(4:00 PM): DeAngelo stakes his claim… In an effort to be the draft's second best RB available after USC's Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Williams of Memphis put on quite a show at his Pro Day today. Williams measured in at a solid 5-foot-9, 207 lbs. and ran his 40s in 4.40 seconds (with the wind) and 4.48 (against). He also ran the short shuttle in 4.10, the three-cone drill in 6.57 and the long shuttle in 10.61. In addition, he had a 34½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-9 broad jump. Williams also showed his versatility by catching the ball well during positional drills. Williams, who is battling with Minnesota's Laurence Maroney and USC's LenDale White to be the second runner selected after Bush, is on the short side but is fast, tough and a team leader.

Deangelo Williams - Pro Day results

6.57 three cone! :eek:
At the combine backs did this carrying a football. This is why their times don't look so great compared to other positions. I'm wondering of DeAngelo carried a ball and posted this crazy time...

Solid numbers from Williams. You'd like to see a slightly better vert, but 34.5" is a very respectable number. The 10'9" in the long jump is exceptional. He's not Tomlinson 2.0, but he seems to have enough physical ability to be a RB1 in the NFL.

Solid numbers from Williams. You'd like to see a slightly better vert, but 34.5" is a very respectable number. The 10'9" in the long jump is exceptional. He's not Tomlinson 2.0, but he seems to have enough physical ability to be a RB1 in the NFL.
Not LT, but I'm wondering if he can be Portis with slightly better receiving skills

Not LT, but I'm wondering if he can be Portis with slightly better receiving skills
DeAngelo is not a good receiver and only caught 30 passes in the last two years. He did have 35 in 2003 but that's far from his strengh.
Code:
Receiving	G/S	No	Yds	Avg	Tds	LG	2002	10/1	*5	*51	10.1	0	32	2003	11/11	*35	*384	10.9	3	80	2004	12/12	*18	*210	11.7	1	68	2005	11/11	*12	*78	7.1	1	29	Total	44/35	70	723	10.3	5	80

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see this kid team up in the Pats backfield with Dillon, Faulk and Pass. With the O line healthier and more experienced that's a unit that could really be productive. Williams would give the Pats a big play threat that they currently lack with their RBs.

There's something about this kid that has stud written all over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice workout for Deangelo. I'm sure he's hoping to be the 2nd RB off the board. Putting up these kind of numbers can't hurt him.

I think Portis is a bit more explosive than Williams. I see Williams as being a lighter, but more explosive Domanick Davis.

By the way, if I had to predict where he'll go then I'll say New England. I think New England, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and New England would all prefer White, but Williams will be a nice consolation prize for one of those teams. New England seems like the best fit, although they've been using bigger backs in recent seasons (A. Smith, Dillon). I could also see a team like NYJ trading up into the late first to get Williams.

I have a feeling he might not make it past the 49ers who I know are high on him. He'd be a big upgrade for a lot of teams. I think several teams realize he's the real deal and one of them is going to surprise the media. He hasnt gotten the attention he deserves due to his school. He doesnt need the media's attention as much as he needs the NFL's. He already had the 49ers attention after being coached at the senior bowl. Now, he'll have other team's attention. No way does he make it to New England.

have I read right in that he's listed at 207lbs? If so, that would be the only thing imo that would cause him to slide a little, meaning toward the end of the 1st round. I dont see RB as a big need position just about all of the teams slotted inside 20. Possibly Denver, but they just dont have a history of reaching for backs there. AZ? Nah. Baltimore? Nope. The Niners? Ya think? Man, if they take this kid in their slot they need to removed from the league...plain and simple. You dont start rebuilding your HORRIBLE team by taking a small RB. Thats not how its done. They need BIG bodies. Frank Gore and co. will do them for now.

He's only 5'9" so 207 isnt much lighter than you'd want. If he bulks up 5 pounds he's right there where I'd want my running back.

He's only 5'9" so 207 isnt much lighter than you'd want. If he bulks up 5 pounds he's right there where I'd want my running back.
Right, nothing really wrong with the size, but is San Fran really looking to draft Williams in the 6 hole? Im not knocking him, but the Niners wont take him and alot of other teams will pass because RB is a position where you can still get value in round 2.

Right, nothing really wrong with the size, but is San Fran really looking to draft Williams in the 6 hole? Im not knocking him, but the Niners wont take him and alot of other teams will pass because RB is a position where you can still get value in round 2.
If you think 5'9" and 207 is light how about 5'11" and 201? I would rather 5'9" and 201 than 5'11" and this is Reggie Bush. does that scare anyone?

If you think 5'9" and 207 is light how about 5'11" and 201? I would rather 5'9" and 201 than 5'11" and this is Reggie Bush. does that scare anyone?
Before anyone chimes in saying that Bush can add more weight to his 5'11" frame keep in mind that many scouts commented exactly the opposite. They said that he looked ripped and massive for his frame indicating that he might be near max and that it would be hard to add bulk. Steroids are a wonderfull thing though so who knows.

Before anyone chimes in saying that Bush can add more weight to his 5'11" frame keep in mind that many scouts commented exactly the opposite. They said that he looked ripped and massive for his frame indicating that he might be near max and that it would be hard to add bulk. Steroids are a wonderfull thing though so who knows.
So if what Chaos is saying is correct, can Bush be a great player at 205? Can he even be a good player?

I think Portis is a bit more explosive than Williams.

I see Williams as being a lighter, but more explosive Domanick Davis.
I see him as a shorter, lighter, shiftier Jerome Bettis, without the size, strength, and plowing ability, but with greater speed and agility.

I see him as a shorter, lighter, shiftier Jerome Bettis, without the size, strength, and plowing ability, but with greater speed and agility.
:lmao: He also reminds me of Marino except that Williams can't pass, can run faster, and can catch. Maybe a bit shorter too, but other then that they are football doppelgangers.

There has been two concerns voiced about Williams (I know that as I research him, I am looking at these concerns) his injury history and his tendency to run outside vs running inside. I currently like Williams, and I am viewing him as a Westbrook or a Westbrook plus clone.I watched and taped the Bowl game last year where Williams did put on a clinic for RBs, and even against that level of competition I was kinda amazed as how he choose to break a run to the outside. I had watched him a few other times where I had gotten that same impression of him. So a very real concern of mine is can Williams be a good or even a decent between the tackles RB in the NFL? Also at The NFL Draft Showcase or The NFL Draft Countdown, I remember reading that during the combines, that doctors had detected a stress fracture in his foot.

Anyone have any information on these concerns or any other information on Williams? I do appreciate reading the comments and opinions!

:lmao: He also reminds me of Marino except that Williams can't pass, can run faster, and can catch. Maybe a bit shorter too, but other then that they are football doppelgangers.
Everybody knows that football doppelgangers are a premium in the NFL. :D

I see him going to New England at 21. I haven't seen any talk of Jacksonville at 28, but does that seem like a fit to anyone else?

My goodness.... with a sub 4.4 forty, Williams is the undisputed #2 RB in this year's draft, and you could make the case for him being the #1.

I see anyone who wants him having to trade into the top 10. If he's around, teams draft on a BPA basis and scarf him up. His stock will only rise from here on in.

I cant say they will pick him. They did coach him at the senior bowl and said he was the most impressive player there. So they definately like him. Do they take him or fill a more pressing need? Who knows. It might come down to who else is available. If Vince Young falls, I think its a real possibility. Maybe they even trade down a couple spots first as the next few teams definately dont need a RB. Of course I also think its possible he doesnt even make it to the sixth spot. That's just me.

DeAngelo is not a good receiver and only caught 30 passes in the last two years. He did have 35 in 2003 but that's far from his strengh.
Receiving G/S No Yds Avg Tds LG 2002 10/1 *5 *51 10.1 0 32 2003 11/11 *35 *384 10.9 3 80 2004 12/12 *18 *210 11.7 1 68 2005 11/11 *12 *78 7.1 1 29 Total 44/35 70 723 10.3 5 80
CTSU, I think this is a case where you simply havent watched Deangelo play enough. I have seen him live about 20 times over the last 4 years and I can assure you that he is exceptional catching the ball out of the backfield.The Tigers system simply did not use Denagelo that match out of the backfield. He was used more as a decoy in short passing situations where Tommy West loved to use all different varieties of quick hitting WR screens. I just dont think using # of receptions is an accurate judge of catching ability when scouting a college RB. There are very few programs out there throwing to their RB 70 times in a season.

IMO anyone who doesnt think Deangelo is a legit top 10 pick simply havent seen him play enough. He is the real deal. If the Titans end up swinging a deal with Denver to trade down and get #15 and #22 and an additional pick then I would guarentee the titans would snatch him up in a second at #15. Fisher and Chow absolutely fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl and rumors are flying in titanland that if a trade down does occur he would be a real possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread