What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deep Dynasty Waivers (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
To me, this is the greatest time of the year for us dynasty lovers. Midseason waiver wire moves can be the difference between playoffs and being done for the year. The waiver wire is where all my teams live or die and smart, calculated moves will always put your team in a better situation than your opponents. I think the second most critical part of building a solid dynasty fantasy roster is depth (the first being to recognize that your starting roster still has to be better than the other guys). Injuries happen every year to almost every player so a lot of different players get opportunities. This year provides a unique market as most people are ignoring the UFL. I am not ignoring the UFL. It may not be the NFL but it isn't NFL Europe or the CFL either. That being said there are always a couple of guidelines I use when attacking the waiver wire. These include keeping an open mind, never letting the past dictate a move, taking risks and being patient. Here are some players I am looking at in both the long term and short term:

Louis Murphy, WR OAK: Usually I am not a fan of Florida WR's but Murphy and Harvin have really changed my opinion this year. Coming out of Florida Murphy lived in the shadow of Percy Harvin and most likely deservedly so. That doesn't take away anything from Murphy though. The Florida passing game has been deficient in the long ball this year and that has more to do with losing Murphy's impact because Harvin was mostly used in many different ways. Murphy came out with a 4.43 40 at the combine and has showed a tenacious attitude for the game. Far more so than his counterpart DHB. His speed obviously is what attracted Al bat-#### crazy Davis to Murphy but he accidently stumbled on to a football player as well. His QB situation is the farthest thing from perfect but he was targetted 10 times last week with Gradkowski in the game. I think the future is bright for Murphy and if he is still available I'd grab him.

Dantrell Savage, RB KCC: While undersized (5'8, 185) Savage has been on my radar since he got a couple of carries in the offense early in the season and was supposed to have his role expand. In the offseason he supposedly worked out with Priest Holmes, who obviously is a legend of an undrafted FA RB and hard worker. Now with LJ looking to be most likely on the way out and Charles never truely grasping the reigns on any role in the offense Savage is worth taking a shot on even if he splits time he may have some value.

Matt Moore, QB CAR: I've kept an eye on Moore since he came out in '07 and Jaws was raving about him. His college career was filled with mighty high's and low's but it also says that the guy works hard and doesn't give up on himself when times get tough. He is considered a good athlete and fits the ideal mold of a QB. With Delhomme costing his team routinely and Fox's job seat getting hotter and hotter Fox may go with Moore as soon as this week. Take a shot on him as he is most likely to get the call if Delhomme is benched as he has more experience in the offense and a higher ceiling than AJ Feeley.

Guys in the UFL I'm keeping my eye on:

J.P. Losman, QB: Everyone knows Losman's story. He's got a lot of talent but not a lot of touch or decision making ability. Well, not much has changed. I am keeping him on my radar for my start 2 QB league though as he has been productive in the UFL and is probably still better than some backups in the NFL.

Brooks Bollinger, QB: Here is a guy that has shown flashes in the NFL but never really given a chance. He has been the MVP of the UFL through 3 games this season putting up games of 232 2 0; 24/32 310 3 0; 20/26 225 4 1 I'm not sure what kind of opportunity he will get when the UFL season gets over but I'm sure he'll be on a team. Once again in start 2 QB leagues worth keeping an eye on.

Taye Biddle, WR: He is the man on the recieving end of Bollinger and has been the one guy that I am really keeping my eye on. Coming out he was undrafted but ran a 4.28 40 at his private workout which prompted Carolina to keep him on their practice squad and then New York GMen after them. Was a bit non existent in the first game going 2 grabs for 38 yds and a TD but after that has gone 7 catches 107 yds and a TD and 5 catches for 133 yds last week. Might be a diamond in the rough if he continues on this way and can catch onto an NFL squad.

Hopefully this gives those who play in deep leagues some new options to look at or keep an eye on. I'm sure most people have heard of these guys but it's always good to be reminded.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS IS A GREAT POST ....

and its nice to see " deep " actually meaning " deep " ...

so many times you will see a post like this saying " pick up S.Greene " or " R.Mendenhall " .. LOL ...

K.McKinley - DEN - WR -- LONG TERM

M.Teel - Sea - QB ( for those in 2 QB leagues )

K.Null - STL - QB ( see above )

A.Arrington - N.O WR ( Payton loves him .. but he keeps getting hurt .. currently on P.S )

A.Foster - Hou - RB ( big back .. needs to improve on Pass protecting )

James Hardy - BUF - WR ----> If you're in a pretty deep league and he isn't already rostered i'd pick him up. He started praticising last week after tearing his ACL at the end of last year and may play sometime soon.

According to this he's been staying longer after practice with Terrell Owens getting some pointers.

Last edited:
THIS IS A GREAT POST .... and its nice to see " deep " actually meaning " deep " ... so many times you will see a post like this saying " pick up S.Greene " or " R.Mendenhall " .. LOL ...
I agree with that!! I rarely even read posts like that being dynasty orientated. 96 of the top 100 wr's are roster-ed in one of my leagues. I've kicked around Nate Davis, qb, SFI don't think the QBOTF in SF is Hill or Smith.Gradkowski in Oakland may see some time at some point. Moore,qb, CAR may see some time. Jake is about done.Ratliff in CLEV seems to be Mangini's boy and on of the other qb's will leave next year I think.

So you think Dantrell Savage over Kolby Smith? Maybe Savage now since Smith is still out, but what about when Smith returns?

So you think Dantrell Savage over Kolby Smith? Maybe Savage now since Smith is still out, but what about when Smith returns?
I ponder that myself. I think Smith just started practicing again and with the bye this week that gives him some time to get back into the swing of things a little. it's about a "pick em" now I think. I'd go Smith if I absolutely had to pick one.

Naanee, Legedu SDC WR - If Chambers gets released next year he will be in a battle fr more playing time. He has a great size and speed combination.

sparkky said:
jft34 said:
I ponder that myself. I think Smith just started practicing again and with the bye this week that gives him some time to get back into the swing of things a little. it's about a "pick em" now I think. I'd go Smith if I absolutely had to pick one.
Given that the staff has shown no real allegiances (except to LJ which has blown up in their face) the job will be open for grabs. While Smith has had some success in the past he is coming off an injury that takes a long time to heal. Even if he somehow beats the two other backs out he'll still be limited IMO.

I'll add one-David Anderson, WR Texans. When McDaniels was hired, he tried to trade for him but was shot down. He's small, but pretty quick and he's a welker clone

Good read above

I actually write something up on my blog (dynasty focused) each week that addresses deep pickups in my dynasty watch posts.

Kevin Ogletree is another deep sleeper/pickup. Other than Austin, no one has stepped up in Dallas. Brian Hartline I like a lot as well, especially with Ginn dropping passes and news that Ginn will lose time beginning this week. Love the David Anderson call. Walter needs to move on and Jacoby Jones needs to fall off the map again for him to be relevant though.

Love seeing names I don't recognize from the practice squad or UFL - thanks for the Biddle suggestion. Going to look in to him.

Good post, but I admit my first thought was: Wow, someone watches the UFL besides me? That rocks. :lmao:

I actually write something up on my blog (dynasty focused) each week that addresses deep pickups in my dynasty watch posts.

Kevin Ogletree is another deep sleeper/pickup. Other than Austin, no one has stepped up in Dallas. Brian Hartline I like a lot as well, especially with Ginn dropping passes and news that Ginn will lose time beginning this week. Love the David Anderson call. Walter needs to move on and Jacoby Jones needs to fall off the map again for him to be relevant though.

Love seeing names I don't recognize from the practice squad or UFL - thanks for the Biddle suggestion. Going to look in to him.
I dont see this happening any time soon. I'm trying to add Jones to the end of all of my benches.

Good post, but I admit my first thought was: Wow, someone watches the UFL besides me? That rocks. :thumbup:
I think it's a good league with a good intent. Not sure if it will survive though. I think it would be better served to happen right before the College and NFL season with only a slight overlapse. This would give it more exposure to fans who want football but don't yet have it and will still keep the intent of it to be kind of a developmental league for players who arn't given the opportunity to start or be more than a role player at the NFL level.

Anyone like Brian Hartline? Reports are that Henne likes him and he might start over Ginn this week.

Debating him or Hardy...or Matt Moore

James Hardy - BUF - WR ----> If you're in a pretty deep league and he isn't already rostered i'd pick him up. He started praticising last week after tearing his ACL at the end of last year and may play sometime soon.

According to this he's been staying longer after practice with Terrell Owens getting some pointers.
I picked up Josh Reed over Hardy a couple weeks ago, 12 team, 30 man roster, no idp. It looks like TO is one and done in buffalo so the #2 spot will be open next season. I think Reed has the advantage over Hardy.

Not a guy that I have rostered, but someone keeping on radar in case the NFL gives him a second look -- Adarius Bowman. He was a stud at Oklahoma State before injury, marijuana, and awful 40 time. He's been putting up some pretty impressive numbers in the CFL this year though. As off the field stuff seems behind him, wonder if a team brings him in during the off-season.

I picked up Josh Reed over Hardy a couple weeks ago, 12 team, 30 man roster, no idp. It looks like TO is one and done in buffalo so the #2 spot will be open next season. I think Reed has the advantage over Hardy.
I think James hardy has a lot more upside than Reed. Buffalo's ideal WR corps next year would be Evans as WR1, Hardy as WR2, and Reed as the slot guy. Granted, Reed is definitely the safer pick and is pretty much guaranteed to put up adequate stats for the next year or so.

Not a guy that I have rostered, but someone keeping on radar in case the NFL gives him a second look -- Adarius Bowman. He was a stud at Oklahoma State before injury, marijuana, and awful 40 time. He's been putting up some pretty impressive numbers in the CFL this year though. As off the field stuff seems behind him, wonder if a team brings him in during the off-season.
I'm actually surprised nobody took a look at Bowman this offseason. He is currently playing in his second season in the CFL and put up good numbers last season too.

Lance Long, WR KCC is someone to keep an eye on in dynasty leagues:

(Rotoworld) Chiefs receiver Lance Long played extensively in Sunday's loss to San Diego, seeing five targets.

Analysis: The Chiefs started in a two-wide set with Bobby Wade at flanker and Dwayne Bowe at split end, but Long appears to be pushing for the third wideout job. He had two grabs for 12 yards, while Mark Bradley was catch-less.

(Rotoworld) Chiefs WR Lance Long left Sunday's game with a concussion.

Analysis: Long was going through a battery of tests on the sidelines after taking a big hit. Doctors took away his helmet, indicating that he's likely done for the day. He finished with 12 yards on two catches and almost hauled in a diving touchdown grab just before the half.

awesomeness said:
MTskibum said:
awesomeness said:

I think James hardy has a lot more upside than Reed. Buffalo's ideal WR corps next year would be Evans as WR1, Hardy as WR2, and Reed as the slot guy. Granted, Reed is definitely the safer pick and is pretty much guaranteed to put up adequate stats for the next year or so.
where does that leave Steve Johnson?

northern exposure said:
Don Quixote said:
I'm actually surprised nobody took a look at Bowman this offseason. He is currently playing in his second season in the CFL and put up good numbers last season too.
I have real doubts about his speed and the same probably goes for NFL teams. His 4.74 40 could have been a fluke but with the lack of interest by the NFL I'm guessing it's fairly accurate.

most of the guys mentioned here (exception to UFL guys) are already owned in my leagues. I mentioned Long in the other dynasty sleeper thread because I really like his upside. Hoping he becomes Cassel's Welker type...

a few guys not mentioned:

Brandon Gibson & Ruvell Martin WR STL, Burton is obviously not the answer and they'll be looking for 1 of these guys to step up. Gibson was acquired in the Eagles trade and showed all sorts of skills during Maclin's holdout. Enough to force the Eagles to carry 7 WR's to start the season. He has some talent. Martin was let go after Green Bay decided to keep Brett Swain instead. He's done pretty well in his career with limited duty and is just now healthy & practicing for the Rams. Good size and would complement Avery/Amendola well.

PJ Hill/Eldra Buckley (Eagles RB's), Hill was just recently added from Saints PS. Buckley played well in the preseason to beat out Booker. With Westbrook's injury history, it's wise to keep an eye on this situation

What's up with Juaquin Iglesias? Has he just not shown anything in Chicago? He's a free agent in the league I commish which is probably one of the most competitive dynasty leagues around. I thought about picking him up a few times, but just not sure he's ahead of Aromashadu

Zach Miller Jax. He's a converted college QB from D-II UNOmaha. Once he learns how to block, he'll see the field more and has the athletic ability to be a force.

Albert Young RB Minn Chester is in a contract year and he looked decent this preseason

awesomeness said:
MTskibum said:
awesomeness said:

On the bench, WR4.

awesomeness said:
MTskibum said:
awesomeness said:

On the bench, WR4.
so in his 3rd year he's going to get less playing time?I just picked up Hardy in the league MTSki was talking about, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting a spot. Even before Hardy's injury, he was being outplayed by Johnson. What are you basing your projections on?

I remember Martin from his time with the Packers. not making the team there certainly isn't a knock on him in my book, that team seems to have a great eye for wr talent.

Juaquin Iglesias

man, I just don't know. I watched a few games in college and I thought the kid had game and loved his situation in Chitown but he's completely buried there now. I took him mid round in 2 of my leagues and have been sitting and waiting ever since. he must be a darn late bloomer. I'm about ready to cut bait with him. I always get antsy when rookie wr's don't do much early, so I've "paced" myself. but "c'mon man!!" at least get on the field and drop one!!

hell, I'm still setting on Dwayne Jarrett!! he at least gets dirty once and a while.

I remember Martin from his time with the Packers. not making the team there certainly isn't a knock on him in my book, that team seems to have a great eye for wr talent. Juaquin Iglesiasman, I just don't know. I watched a few games in college and I thought the kid had game and loved his situation in Chitown but he's completely buried there now. I took him mid round in 2 of my leagues and have been sitting and waiting ever since. he must be a darn late bloomer. I'm about ready to cut bait with him. I always get antsy when rookie wr's don't do much early, so I've "paced" myself. but "c'mon man!!" at least get on the field and drop one!! hell, I'm still setting on Dwayne Jarrett!! he at least gets dirty once and a while.
right on with Martin, same type of deal with Lance Long. Not like the Cards are hurting at WRThose teams that cut bait on Earl Bennett are regretting it, but this is a far different outlook with the Bears. I don't see Bennett, Knox, or Hester going anywhere anytime soonJarrett deserves to be mentioned in this thread, I think some have given up. We should find out sooner than later what he's made of. He's still only what, 23 years old? Him or Kenneth Moore. Mushy is a free agent after this year and I'm not sure he has much football left

I added Dwayne Jarrett off waivers in 4-5 leagues today. I noticed that he got some PT last week and some targets in crunch time. I don't know if he's fast enough for the pro game, but he looked okay on Sunday and there's a potential starting opportunity in Carolina with Muhammad aging and the rest of the WR corps looking weak except for Steve Smith.

I think Jackie Battle RB KC is worth considering. I have always liked him. A power back only 26 years old. Is he injured or something?

I am just wondering why no one is considering him now with the LJ issues. Maybe something I missed.

EBF,

that's the downside to speculating on wr's in deep leagues, they're so qb performance oriented.

I agree he "may" get a good shot next year if Mushy leaves but if the qb issue isn't resolved there we may not find out much.

if, say, Avery had Jake D. tossing the ball what would we think of him now? it's easier to be a rb and just take a hand off or dump off pass and show game or no game. IMO

I think Jackie Battle RB KC is worth considering. I have always liked him. A power back only 26 years old. Is he injured or something?I am just wondering why no one is considering him now with the LJ issues. Maybe something I missed.
placed on IR a few weeks ago
I see thanks. Figured there was a reason.
ya, had a shoulder issue of some kind. I like the guy too. he ran like LJ early on, hard and angry. like he had some thing to prove. he might be a guy you could put on the back burner for a while and sneak in at the end of the season after a injury or flame out of another "sleeper" type. he's pretty under the radar now.

Surprised no one mentioned Snelling. He was available in all my leagues, even with 336 nonIDP players owned. Could have some LeRon McClain value if Turner continues to look bad. Or not

I thought about Snelling too. I have Turner and Norwood in one league and they must think Norwood is out for awhile cause they signed Stecker today I think.

for what ever that means to Snelling.

another guy I've been setting on for years it seems is Clemens in NYJ. he'll have to hit FA to move to a team to get a shot now, injury to Sanchez not withstanding.

awesomeness said:
awesomeness said:

On the bench, WR4.
so in his 3rd year he's going to get less playing time?I just picked up Hardy in the league MTSki was talking about, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting a spot. Even before Hardy's injury, he was being outplayed by Johnson. What are you basing your projections on?
Less playing time? WR4 would be an move up the depth chart for Steve Johnson. He's been inactive for the Bills for the first 6 weeks of the season and i'm pretty sure he was healthy over that time. He just played his first game this past week after Roscoe Parrish was made inactive due to his poor performance. The fact that Steve Johnson is James Hardy's main competition is a reason for optimism not concern imo.

If Finley is out this week, I'm going with Spencer Havner. Maybe. He has four catches on the year and even without the 45 yarder, he's averaging almost 15 on the other three. Last week, he had 2-59-1 in 3 quarters and had another 12 yard catch called back (penalty on Lee). This week, they get Minnesota, this year's TE dream.

A couple guys I have stashed away in dynasty with large rosters include:

Marko Mitchell WR WAS-Showed promise in TC.Not alot ahead of him for PT down the road.

Brooks Foster WR STL-Some reports had him as the most impressive WR at NC even ahead of Nicks..

Gary Barnidge TE CAR-Really excelled at the Ville when Brohm was there throwing the rock.....

Another guy to keep an eye on for future years if you are in a really deep league is Jerome Simpson, WR Bengals.

He was a 2nd round pick out of Coastal Carolina in 2008 and struggled through some injuries and a steep learning curve as a rookie. This season, he is the 6th WR (Quan Cosby is 5th b/c of punt returns) behind Ocho, Coles, Henry and Caldwell. Still, the Bengals have used one of their spots on the 53 man roster for him for a season and a half and he has a ton of physical ability. If he ever puts it together, he could be a big TD guy as he has great size and speed.

Maybe just a guy to keep an eye on going forward.

Less playing time? WR4 would be an move up the depth chart for Steve Johnson. He's been inactive for the Bills for the first 6 weeks of the season and i'm pretty sure he was healthy over that time. He just played his first game this past week after Roscoe Parrish was made inactive due to his poor performance. The fact that Steve Johnson is James Hardy's main competition is a reason for optimism not concern imo.
I only watched 1 game so I didn't realize he was inactive for the 1st 6 weeks. He played a lot in the game I watched. Does his inactive have more to do with roles & special teams than ability? Everything reported during the off season was that he was tearing it up.

A couple guys I have stashed away in dynasty with large rosters include:Marko Mitchell WR WAS-Showed promise in TC.Not alot ahead of him for PT down the road.Brooks Foster WR STL-Some reports had him as the most impressive WR at NC even ahead of Nicks..Gary Barnidge TE CAR-Really excelled at the Ville when Brohm was there throwing the rock.....
Mitchell is a great one. I have him in one league. I don't think Kelly or Thomas will ever live up to their draft statusWasn't Tate the most impressive NC WR?

A couple guys I have stashed away in dynasty with large rosters include:

Marko Mitchell WR WAS-Showed promise in TC.Not alot ahead of him for PT down the road.

Brooks Foster WR STL-Some reports had him as the most impressive WR at NC even ahead of Nicks..

Gary Barnidge TE CAR-Really excelled at the Ville when Brohm was there throwing the rock.....
Mitchell is a great one. I have him in one league. I don't think Kelly or Thomas will ever live up to their draft statusWasn't Tate the most impressive NC WR?
I read a blurb somewhere after the draft stating that Foster could be the best of the three 5 years down the road...No link and more than likely pure speculation on the writer's behalf....

Assuming no IDP, how deep are the rosters when you guys are talking about adding those players?

I only play in two dynasty leagues (most of the guys from FBG boards) but the rosters are only 22/24 deep so the guys you are mentioning could never really be added if you are competing for this year.

I read a blurb somewhere after the draft stating that Foster could be the best of the three 5 years down the road...No link and more than likely pure speculation on the writer's behalf....
he's gonna have some competition as the Rams keep adding WR's like they are going out of style. Laurent, Burton, Gibson, Amendola, Martin....then again none of those guys are that great so anyone has a shot IMO

Users who are viewing this thread