What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

De'Lance Turner - Ravens RB (1 Viewer)

zamboni

Footballguy
I asked this in another thread, but a few people have mentioned him as a guy to watch.

Had a good preseason, but buried on the depth chart. Was just brought up from the practice squad after the Dixon injury. 

With Collins' fumbling issues and the team seemingly unwilling to give Allen the reins, it's not an entirely fluid situation with Baltimore.

Anyone have the skinny on this guy and whether there is some potential here? 

De’Who? 

:unsure:

i think the Ravens will continue to use Collins. Maybe even heavier without Dixon. I can’t see Baltimore giving up on Collins because he put the ball on the ground once. They “punished” him in a blowout. Against Cinci I don’t even thjNo he’d get benched for it.

Allen is their preferred 3rd down/COP, and if anything were to happen to Collins I think it would be Allen as a feature back with Turner as a “breather” back.

all speculation, but that’s how it currently looks. 

I asked this in another thread, but a few people have mentioned him as a guy to watch.

Had a good preseason, but buried on the depth chart. Was just brought up from the practice squad after the Dixon injury. 

With Collins' fumbling issues and the team seemingly unwilling to give Allen the reins, it's not an entirely fluid situation with Baltimore.

Anyone have the skinny on this guy and whether there is some potential here? 
I have a couple of large roster dynasty teams. I just added him in those leagues. So cheers!

As for Turner, the Ravens opted to promote him over Gus Edwards, who, arguably, had a better preseason. However, Turner will bring a different skillset to Baltimore’s running back room. He is a home run threat, who can also return kicks and punts. Turner took reps at returner during training camp, and he has limited experience as a returner at Alcorn State.

The most memorable preseason moment for Turner was his 65-yard touchdown run in week three of the preseason against the Miami Dolphins. On a trap concept, he was able to outrun several defenders en route to the end zone. This play could have been the deciding factor between him or Edwards.
Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Monday that the Ravens have entered games before with just two running backs available, but Turner impressed throughout preseason. The 5-foot-11, 214-pound undrafted rookie from Alcorn State led all Ravens who had double-digit carries in yards per carry (7.2) and had the team's longest play from scrimmage in the preseason, a 65-yard touchdown run against the Miami Dolphins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Jb_m7LWas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq6EyZ41yPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6499QivAs

Ear to the ground. Hand on the wire.

Not a whole lot of info on him at this point.  In dynasty I would grab him if you have a roster spot being occupied by an average depth player.  Worst case you drop him in a couple of weeks if he doesn't pan out.  Best case, you have an Austin Ekeler type of player at a position of scarcity.  

Not sure if he can catch or pass block, but watching the vids I posted above, his running reminds me of, dare I say, Alvin Kamara.

Turner Pro Day - 
Height: 5112
Weight: 216
40 Yrd Dash: 4.53
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.59

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.45
3-Cone Drill: 7.48

Kamara Combine + Pro Day

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5096
Weight: 214
20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 39 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'11"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.35
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Similar size/speed, but fairly large difference in jumps, shuttle, 3-cone. Maybe a homeless man's Kamara if he gets a chance at some point with a solid Ravens team?

Not sure if he can catch or pass block, but watching the vids I posted above, his running reminds me of, dare I say, Alvin Kamara.

Turner Pro Day - 
Height: 5112
Weight: 216
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.59

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.45

Kamara Combine + Pro Day

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5096
Weight: 214
20 Yrd Dash: 2.61
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
Vertical Jump: 39 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'11"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.35
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Similar size/speed, but fairly large difference in jumps, shuttle, 3-cone. Maybe a homeless man's Kamara if he gets a chance at some point with a solid Ravens team?
I watched some highlights from the preseason. Two plays stood out to me (though obvious caveats about who he’s playing and whatever).

First: https://twitter.com/ravens/status/1033519107390418944?s=12

I’ve long said I’ve not put in the time to learn how to analyze film, and there are guys better than me at doing so on this board. Many of them. But that looks like some very quick acceleration once he clears the line, blowing past LBs and DBs with ease. 

Second:

https://twitter.com/ravens/status/1035311921195507712?s=12

I don’t know who 51 is for Washington, but 1v1 in the hole and he lost his shoes. 

Cutting and acceleration can get you a long ways in the NFL if you’re rugged enough to handle a load. At his size, and given the college resume, he should be able to do so. In dynasty, Collins is a FA after this year, and Collins doesn’t look special to me. He runs extremely hard and violently, but he takes big hits as a result, and while fun to watch, those guys often get banged up. I don’t think Buck Allen is the answer, nor do I believe Baltimore thinks he is given how many times they’ve replaced him or drafted over him.  

A year ago, Collins was the guy signed to the PS, then promoted, then slowly earned the role. It’s not that far fetched a scenario.

LawFitz said:

Or maybe another yeti sighting?

Looks like Turner didn't see the field last night (unless maybe on special teams). I guess not surprising since he was just called up on Wednesday, but regardless it seems clear that he's just merely a stash away behind Collins and Allen as long as both are healthy.

Looks like Turner didn't see the field last night (unless maybe on special teams). I guess not surprising since he was just called up on Wednesday, but regardless it seems clear that he's just merely a stash away behind Collins and Allen as long as both are healthy.
My concern is this: If Collins fumbles away his job, and Turner steps in and performs well... are we just going to see more of the same regarding usage as Collins? Because if so, that's pretty useless for fantasy. Granted, Collins scored 12 points in my PPR league last night, and that's a pretty nice floor when you consider how bad his stat line is and how bad the game script was. 

If he can catch better than Collins, then maybe he takes over from Buck Allen. But I am not really trusting this coaching staff to use him well. I'll hold for now but he's a first cut option for me. 

My concern is this: If Collins fumbles away his job, and Turner steps in and performs well... are we just going to see more of the same regarding usage as Collins? Because if so, that's pretty useless for fantasy. Granted, Collins scored 12 points in my PPR league last night, and that's a pretty nice floor when you consider how bad his stat line is and how bad the game script was. 

If he can catch better than Collins, then maybe he takes over from Buck Allen. But I am not really trusting this coaching staff to use him well. I'll hold for now but he's a first cut option for me. 
Agreed - Buck seems to have his role carved out, so that could limit any potential upside. But you never know - I'm going to keep holding, but not tightly if I really need to free up a roster space and don't have a much better cut option.

I picked him up in a few dynasty leagues as a "what the heck" stash - but did not expect to see him play last night. He's likely not going to amount to anything but the situation seems ripe at least.

Collins-

Fumble on the goalline last game

3.5 YPC on the season

DNP today

3 things that may make Turner a sneaky pickup this week. 
Good visibility, and Collins definitely needs to recapture trust in terms of fumbling as it's clearly an issue.

My gut says this is for depth as opposed to going to more of an RBBC than already exists, but stranger things have happened in the BAL backfield. 

Users who are viewing this thread