What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic Debates (5 Viewers)

They are all horrible too, but it's not like the group last night is raising the bar at all compared to them.  Constant bickering, you hate to see it.  
I think it’s much more a reflection of the debate format than any inadequacy of the candidates.  I’ve heard all of these candidates in other settings and they’re much better.  Except maybe Biden, I’m stunned that there are people that continue to support him. 

If Sanders is the nominee I won`t vote for POTUS. 
Oh come on. You may dislike Sanders policies, but there really is no way he gets close to much of it enacted anyways. At least he cares about people unlike Trump who only cares about himself. Anyone who doesn't vote against Trump is doing the country a major disservice. I beg you to reconsider.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are all horrible too, but it's not like the group last night is raising the bar at all compared to them.  Constant bickering, you hate to see it.  
It's a logical outcome of the format. These debates aren't set up to provide us any nuanced discussion that leads to meaningful differentiation, it's just a free for all to show us who tramples and withstands trampling best. I guess those are sort of desirable qualities in a President, but we don't get much more insight than that. 

Unless there's a solid gold soundbite that comes out of one of these, they're completely forgettable. Quick, what do you remember from the 1st of these debates this cycle? I can't recall a thing.

I think it’s much more a reflection of the debate format than any inadequacy of the candidates.  I’ve heard all of these candidates in other settings and they’re much better.  Except maybe Biden, I’m stunned that there are people that continue to support him. 
The townhalls are a much better format.

It's a logical outcome of the format. These debates aren't set up to provide us any nuanced discussion that leads to meaningful differentiation, it's just a free for all to show us who tramples and withstands trampling best. I guess those are sort of desirable qualities in a President, but we don't get much more insight than that. 

Unless there's a solid gold soundbite that comes out of one of these, they're completely forgettable. Quick, what do you remember from the 1st of these debates this cycle? I can't recall a thing.
I definitely get it - these things are forgettable at the end of the day.  If I'm an undecided voter though, nights like last night are not really helping anyone's cause to gain ground in a race.  

primary debates are essentially meaningless.  good for small adjustments in polling for a few candidates for a few days, then back again.

This is a very important point too.  These debates are more of a talking point/soundbyte format than anything else.  Sanders’ talk with Rogan for example was much more substantive than anything I’ve seen in these debates.  

I’d like to see longform, open-ended debates between the candidates individually with user-submitted questions.  These corporate TV debates with Bloomberg/anti-m4a commercials, $1,700 tickets, and cable pundit analysis put a heavy slant on what should be a neutral format.  

Safe to say if there isn’t a clear moderate choice by Super Tuesday, it’s too late? If not, when?

Bloomberg is pot committed 

When would Warren, Steyer and Klobuchar consider exits for good of the Party?

(Steyer is polling at 13% is South Carolina)

If they did, and it were just Pete, Biden and Bloomberg against Bernie, I believe Pete would rise and challenge. But unless the field thins in the next 10 days or so, it may be for not. Bernie will have an insurmountable lead.

I really don’t think people are excited about Biden. 
Based on this article (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-what-our-forecast-says-about-every-super-tuesday-state/) Pete, Liz and Amy should all exit after Super Tuesday.  They simply won’t get enough delegates to make it worth staying in the race - which means their fundraising will dry up at some point.

TheIronSheik said:
I'm not sure Biden gets how this whole thing works.  Last night, he made a good point, and the crowd erupted in applause.  And what did he do?  Yelled at them to be quiet , "Let me finish!  :hot: "
I started to get that feeling when he ended every rally with 'Vote for the other guy!"

In a way, it makes want to see him as President visit another country and shout "We're just here for the oil!"

Gr00vus said:
Quick, what do you remember from the 1st of these debates this cycle? I can't recall a thing.
Julian Castro's tomahawk dunks on Biden and Obamaboy were pretty memorable https://youtu.be/81Mw051ft4Y .

Wish that guy (not lame, regular Julian Castro) were still in it.  He was campaigning with Warren for a while, wouldn't be surprised if she was considering him for VP.  

Gopher State said:
Is Sanders is the nominee I am voting for Trump, I will not be the only Democrat voting this way.
Your username is Gopher State, yet your avatar is a Packers helmet, therefore I would expect such logic.  :confused:

:lol:

Andrew Yang

@AndrewYang · 7m

Someone asked me what the qualifications for the next debate would be. I responded ‘whatever Tulsi has plus one.’
#LetTulsiDebate

Is now trending on Twitter.

They don't want her on because they know she'd destroy Biden on his war history.

#LetTulsiDebate

Is now trending on Twitter.

They don't want her on because they know she'd destroy Biden on his war history.
Are you suggesting Bernie is incapable of making that point?  (Or that it hasn't been brought up in previous debates?)

The people voting for Biden are well aware of his history - it all the older voters.  They just don't care.

Are you suggesting Bernie is incapable of making that point?  (Or that it hasn't been brought up in previous debates?)

The people voting for Biden are well aware of his history - it all the older voters.  They just don't care.
Bernie doesn't have the killer instinct. He just has the same talking points.   Although it does appear in the last day that Bernie is going to raise it up a few notches and go after  Biden. Maybe he's finally fed up with the BS.

Biden has no shot against Trump.

Bernie doesn't have the killer instinct. He just has the same talking points.   Although it does appear in the last day that Bernie is going to raise it up a few notches and go after  Biden. Maybe he's finally fed up with the BS.

Biden has no shot against Trump.
Maybe.  But he has a better shot than Bernie.

For all his talk about bringing in new voters - Bernie has not done that yet in the 2020 cycle, and there really is no evidence that he can/will.

New debate criteria for the March 15 debate:

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) on Friday announced new qualifying standards for the upcoming Arizona debate that will leave only the top two contenders on stage.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) did not meet the single qualifying factor: earning at least 20 percent of the delegates awarded as of March 15.

Tulsi Gabbard 

@TulsiGabbard

·

58m

South Korea has the ability to test #coronavirus on-site with rapid accurate results. Why isn’t the Trump/Pence Administration importing these tests now to ensure the health and safety...

I am not sure what you are saying.

Its been a long time since Tulsi met the debate criteria for each debate.
She met the criteria for this coming debate.   And then they announced it would be changed 20 minutes after she did and the official announcement was of that was today.

I guess you just love warmongers. Have a nice night.

You're implying that Biden has.  :lmao:
I am not making the claim.

Bernie says he is more electable because he is bringing in new voters.  Its simply not true.

Biden has more votes, and more supporters.  He is not perfect - and was probably 5th or 6th on my top choice list - but at some point you have to face up to reality.  Reaity is - Biden is more popular among Dem voters than Bernie.

She met the criteria for this coming debate.   And then they announced it would be changed 20 minutes after she did and the official announcement was of that was today.

I guess you just love warmongers. Have a nice night.
They have been setting new criteria before each of the last few debates.

And - if you really want to get technical the criteria for the last debate was:

A candidate will automatically qualify if he or she gains at least one pledged delegate from any of the three preceding early states of Iowa, New Hampshire, or Nevada for the Democratic National Convention even if no other requirements are met.

Tulsi does not qualify under that criteria.

They have been setting new criteria before each of the last few debates.

And - if you really want to get technical the criteria for the last debate was:

A candidate will automatically qualify if he or she gains at least one pledged delegate from any of the three preceding early states of Iowa, New Hampshire, or Nevada for the Democratic National Convention even if no other requirements are met.

Tulsi does not qualify under that criteria.
She qualified, and then they changed it after she qualified.  That's a fact.   There's no reason to change it if he she didn't qualify before. They could have simply stated it.

They changed it for Mike. They do what they want to do.  And it's total BS.    It's a main reason why the D's will lose again.  They don't give a #### about anything other than arranging it so the status quo for the war machine they love remains untouched.

Democrats!!! The Party of Wars!!!!   Long live our insanely corrupt government.   Love all the tubes of Biden convincing his party to vote for Iraq.  This issue is going to sink him. It's numero uno why he will lose.   Trump has little he can attack Bernie on and the Dems are too stupid to see that.

Users who are viewing this thread