What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deonte Thompson, WR, BAL (1 Viewer)

johnadams

Footballguy
I noticed that Deonte Thompson he was the top add at MFL for the last week, but I can't find the usual buzz that catapults someone into this spot. I hear he's blazing fast and that BAL coaches seem to like him, but no real info that gets me thinking I should make the move. Anyone got information that I wasn't able to find or insight?

Gator fan here. The guy is a great athlete, he's just not a receiver. Hands of stone, unnatural catching, etc.

Gator fan here. The guy is a great athlete, he's just not a receiver. Hands of stone, unnatural catching, etc.
this is what i understand as well. they love his speed and have talked about his improvement. however, they said the same thing about streeter earlier. he's got size and the hands but needed help with his route running. unfortunately, he was injured and lost for the year before the season began. lots of observers feel like he's the one to watch but deonte's getting some love now.

#flavorofthemonth

Was about to say the same thing.

My recollection of Thompson at Florida is that he was a great athlete who couldn't catch a cold.

Rotoworld:

Ravens OC Jim Caldwell believes second-year WR Deonte Thompson will be a "fine player."

"[Thompson]’s a gifted route-runner, and he is getting better," Caldwell said. "He understands how to sink his hips. He can do a great job of changing direction. He has speed, can catch the ball, and he’s tough. I think that’s a pretty good blend. He’s a young guy, so we will see." Thompson is firmly in the mix to take over one of the Ravens' No. 2 or 3 receiver roles.

Jun 1 - 4:19 PM

Source: Baltimore Sun
The Baltimore Sun reports the Ravens "think" Deonte Thompson has the "inside track" to the No. 2 receiver job.

"[Thompson] could sneak in there, he looks different, is fast and catches everything," coach John Harbaugh said. "But the other guys like [Tandon] Doss and [David] Reed have done well and worked hard during the offseason. As I've always said, the best player will play." Thompson was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Florida last year, and he caught just five passes for 51 yards in six games as a rookie. At 6-foot, 203, Thompson ran a blazing forty time of 4.32 at the Gators' Pro Day before turning heads at OTAs last spring. The competition for the Ravens' No. 2 receiver spot is going to be one of the top ones to watch.

May 20 - 10:22 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Wide receivers coach Jim Hostler said Wednesday that Jacoby Jones is a starter "right now."

As an elder statesman, Jones will enter camp as the No. 2 wideout opposite Torrey Smith. We're not convinced he'll hold the job. Tommy Streeter and Tandon Doss are both legit threats to steal snaps. David Reed, Deonte Thompson, LaQuan Williams and rookie Aaron Mellette will also be given opportunities. "All of those guys are battling for that second, third and fourth spot," Hostler said. "And it's all real close."

Jun 13 - 8:38 AM

Source: baltimoreravens.com

My favorite emerge for Baltimore. Made his case last year in camp & they carried him on the 53 all year. At Florda, he didn't.exactly have consistent QB play and.showed flashes. If his hands have come around, mega upside with those wheels

Rotoworld:

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome mentioned second-year UDFA Deonte Thompson directly behind Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones in Baltimore's wideout pecking order.
Newsome talked up Baltimore's receiver speed when discussing how the team may compensate for possession TE Dennis Pitta's loss. "People are more afraid of that than the 10-12 yard completion," Newsome said. "They don't want anybody to get behind them, so they're going to have to defend the full field because of Torrey, Jacoby, and Deonte." We still believe Newsome will add a pass catcher before Week 1. 33-year-old Visanthe Shiancoe doesn't count.

Source: SI.com

Rotoworld:

Ravens WR Deonte Thompson has gotten "a lot of reps" with the first-team offense in training camp.
He worked "almost exclusively" with the ones in Sunday's practice, lining up both in the slot and outside. Thompson is a deep sleeper with 4.32 speed, though his college career lacked production and he made no impact as an undrafted rookie in 2012. The Ravens have become desperate for pass catchers.

Good for him do have the charges dropped. I think he has great potential at kickoff returns, and will compete with JJ.. Other than that, from what I've seen, hands of stone, but has great athleticism and is willing to move in traffic, which really stood out in the buffalo game.

Users who are viewing this thread