What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desantis files complaint against restaurant with drag show citing state's 1947 SC ruling against men impersonating women (1 Viewer)

I feel extremely comfortable with my characterization.  Anybody who watches the video is free to form their own conclusions about which of us is arguing in good faith -- I'm cool with that.
If you were truly comfortable with characterizing this as a "sex club", you wouldn't need to change your claim and insult Squisition over several pages for disagreeing with that.

I know everyone likes to bully Squisition and it gets a lot of likes, but it is a pretty weak debate tactic. 

If you were truly comfortable with characterizing this as a "sex club", you wouldn't need to change your claim and insult Squisition over several pages for disagreeing with that.

I know everyone likes to bully Squisition and it gets a lot of likes, but it is a pretty weak debate tactic. 
Just one of many he's shown.

I have squistion on ignore.  I responded to one post of his and gave it the respect that it merited (very little).  Sorry you feel otherwise.

Feel free to put me on ignore if that one post bothered you so much.

I have squistion on ignore.  I responded to one post of his and gave it the respect that it merited (very little).  Sorry you feel otherwise.

Feel free to put me on ignore if that one post bothered you so much.
It’s not one post. You do tend to belittle everyone who disagrees with you either on this topic or on related, cultural topics. I’ve noticed it for months now: you adopt a very patronizing, rather insulting tone that doesn’t match your much more reasonable tone on non-cultural issues. 

Remembering Jenny De Leon, “An Enigmatic, Bright Soul” Killed in Tampa, Florida

Remembering Royal Poetical Starz, “Life Of The Party”- fatally shot in Miami Gardens, Florida

HRC Mourns Keri Washington, Black Transgender Woman Killed in Clearwater, Florida

HRC Mourns Alexus “Kimmy Icon” Braxton, Black Transgender Woman Killed in Miami

Four transgender people murdered in Florida in 2021 alone. But sure, let's throw a weeklong hissy fit and get an immediate government response because a bunch of us saw a video of an inappropriate drag show on the internet. As a bonus we can continue to vilify a vulnerable community while we do it! Yay America!

Remembering Royal Poetical Starz, “Life Of The Party”- fatally shot in Miami Gardens, Florida

HRC Mourns Keri Washington, Black Transgender Woman Killed in Clearwater, Florida

Four transgender people murdered in Florida in 2021 alone. But sure, let's throw a weeklong hissy fit and get an immediate government response because a bunch of us saw a video of an inappropriate drag show on the internet. As a bonus we can continue to vilify a vulnerable community while we do it! Yay America!
Yep. 
Earlier I wrote that this was all about the gay. But more specifically it’s all about the transgender. 

Ignoring your biased source, I looked at the last article you posted.  From that article:

Not much is currently known about the circumstances surrounding Alexus’s death.

So, from your own article, there is no evidence that her being trans was related to her death.  I hate it when people use incidents such as this for political purposes. 

Ignoring your biased source, I looked at the last article you posted.  From that article:

So, from your own article, there is no evidence that her being trans was related to her death.  I hate it when people use incidents such as this for political purposes. 
It’s not a “political purpose” to feel sad over the death of a trans person. It’s not a “political purpose” to suspect that this person was murdered because they were trans, since we all know this happens more than a little in our society. 
On the other hand, the consistent attacks on trans people by DeSantis and others are certainly being done for a political purpose: to energize cultural conservatives who are unreasonably (IMO) obsessed with the trans and the gay. Perhaps that is where you should direct your anger. 

Yeah, I anticipated this deflection so I researched all four of them a bit. AFAIK these are four murders with no obvious motivation- they don't appear to be domestic violence incidents, robberies or gang/crime related. I don't know where you live, but those are generally the three/four reasons people are killed, all the other reasons are few and far between. None of these appears to be the case in any of these killings, which are among a broadening nationwide trend.

Is it possible that all or most of these killings were motivated by something other than the usual reasons OR their transgender status? I suppose it's possible, although I can't imagine what it might be. But regardless these women are also part of a larger trend of very high rates of violence against the trans community. At some point we're allowed to put 2 and 2 together. And one thing I'm sure of no matter what is that our government should be devoting time and resources to helping with stuff like this instead of whatever culture war crap Fox News is getting conservatives riled up about this week.

It’s not a “political purpose” to feel sad over the death of a trans person. It’s not a “political purpose” to suspect that this person was murdered because they were trans, since we all know this happens more than a little in our society. 
On the other hand, the consistent attacks on trans people by DeSantis and others are certainly being done for a political purpose: to energize cultural conservatives who are unreasonably (IMO) obsessed with the trans and the gay. Perhaps that is where you should direct your anger. 

Desantis isn't attacking trans people.  I feel comfortable that he doesn't give a poop about how people live their lives.  He DOES care about the children though. You may not agree with him on what kids should be exposed to, but that doesn't make his actions less noble.  He's doing what HE THINKS is right, whether you agree with it or not. 

As far as this trans murder goes, I do feel sad that it happened.  I feel bad when ANY murder happens.  However, there is no evidence that it was related to her being trans.  I looked up the murder.  She was murdered in her condo.  Most hate crimes against trans/gay people seem to be in public by a bigot who took the opportunity.  So, I'm gonna need more data before I attribute her being trans to having something to do with the motive.  As I say in a lot of threads, I base my stances on data, not emotion.  That's the difference between reasonable people and libs. 

Yeah, I anticipated this deflection so I researched all four of them a bit. AFAIK these are four murders with no obvious motivation- they don't appear to be domestic violence incidents, robberies or gang/crime related. I don't know where you live, but those are generally the three/four reasons people are killed, all the other reasons are few and far between. None of these appears to be the case in any of these killings, which are among a broadening nationwide trend.

Is it possible that all or most of these killings were motivated by something other than the usual reasons OR their transgender status? I suppose it's possible, although I can't imagine what it might be. But regardless these women are also part of a larger trend of very high rates of violence against the trans community. At some point we're allowed to put 2 and 2 together. And one thing I'm sure of no matter what is that our government should be devoting time and resources to helping with stuff like this instead of whatever culture war crap Fox News is getting conservatives riled up about this week.

As I noted in my response to Tim, in the one case I looked in to the victim was murdered in her condo.  I don't think most people who hate trans take the time to break in to their condo to kill them.  I just don't.  Now, you're acknowledging that there is no evidence that ANY of these people were murdered due to being trans.  Come on man.  You're an attorney.  You should know better.  Stay with me here.  It's actually possible that these people are just part of the larger pool of murdered people.   Just because they're trans doesn't insulate them from the variables of life we all deal with daily, including the slight possibility of getting murdered. 

Desantis isn't attacking trans people.  I feel comfortable that he doesn't give a poop about how people live their lives.  He DOES care about the children though. You may not agree with him on what kids should be exposed to, but that doesn't make his actions less noble.  He's doing what HE THINKS is right, whether you agree with it or not. 

As far as this trans murder goes, I do feel sad that it happened.  I feel bad when ANY murder happens.  However, there is no evidence that it was related to her being trans.  I looked up the murder.  She was murdered in her condo.  Most hate crimes against trans/gay people seem to be in public by a bigot who took the opportunity.  So, I'm gonna need more data before I attribute her being trans to having something to do with the motive.  As I say in a lot of threads, I base my stances on data, not emotion.  That's the difference between reasonable people and libs. 
You never fail.

It would be nice if Tim and Toby cared as much about the sudden rise in violence against Asians, or illegals killing Americans, as they do about random trans murders.  When an illegal raped a 10 year old they were more concerned about the 10 year old going across state lines to get an abortion than they were about the fact that an illegal raped a 10 year old.

It’s not one post. You do tend to belittle everyone who disagrees with you either on this topic or on related, cultural topics. I’ve noticed it for months now: you adopt a very patronizing, rather insulting tone that doesn’t match your much more reasonable tone on non-cultural issues. 
I think you guys are unreasonable on these issues.  This is a great example.  A handful of folks on "your side" can't even concede that the performer in question is a stripper.  It's really hard to have a respectful conversation when one set of participants will simply deny reality even when there's video evidence sitting right there in front of them.  

The right got to this point back in 2017 when people where seriously attempting to argue that the inauguration crowds were much larger than they plainly were*.  You guys have caught up.  

* Edit: At least, this was the point where it became obvious to me that something was seriously wrong with the epistemology of our right wing.  Probably different observers can point to other moments that were wake-up calls for them.  It's interesting to me that people who are in these communities don't see the similarities.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice if Tim and Toby cared as much about the sudden rise in violence against Asians, or illegals killing Americans, as they do about random trans murders.  When an illegal raped a 10 year old they were more concerned about the 10 year old going across state lines to get an abortion than they were about the fact that an illegal raped a 10 year old.
Incredible how you can discern exactly what other people think and care about.  

What gives you the impression I don't?

I've posted about violence against the A-A community and the need to stop vilifying them for COVID (what a coincidence- Trump's indefensible tweet from this AM shows a total lack of concern about that as well!. I've posted about sexual violence and about the disgusting practice of highlighting crimes committed by "illegals," as if it's somehow better if people are murdered by naturalized American citizens. 

What I don't remember is ever seeing even one post from you expressing any concern about the well-being any vulnerable community or suggesting ways to curb American violence that didn't involve blaming minorities in one form or another. And unfortunately I could say the same about a lot of other right-leaning posters around here.

I care quite a bit about the rise in violence against Asians. Former President Trump again referred to the “China Virus” this weekend; it sickens me that we’re so used to his bigotry at this point that it is not roundly condemned anymore. 

With regard to illegal immigrants, I have shown you and others again and again statistics which show that they commit far less violent crimes on average than do native born Americans. Your continuing to bring up anecdotes indicates that your claim of basing opinions on facts rather than emotions is complete jibberish. 

What gives you the impression I don't?

I've posted about violence against the A-A community and the need to stop vilifying them for COVID (what a coincidence- Trump's indefensible tweet from this AM shows a total lack of concern about that as well!
Also interesting since posts about violence against Asian-Americans have been met here with ridicule that the entire thing is overblown.

If this is about the children to Ron (it's not...it's about the political theater), but assuming it IS about the children, can you explain why his "concern" is narrowly focused on this one particular establishment only?  We have an entire section of a city (Key West) that has all this kind of thing.  We have entire beach communities that have this little, if not less clothing on them.  There isn't a peep about any of that....why?  Remember, the law from 1947 is his frame of reference and justification for the "complaint".  That law isn't even about the children.

I think you guys are unreasonable on these issues.  This is a great example.  A handful of folks on "your side" can't even concede that the performer in question is a stripper.  It's really hard to have a respectful conversation when one set of participants will simply deny reality even when there's video evidence sitting right there in front of them.  

The right got to this point back in 2017 when people where seriously attempting to argue that the inauguration crowds were much larger than they plainly were*.  You guys have caught up.  

* Edit: At least, this was the point where it became obvious to me that something was seriously wrong with the epistemology of our right wing.  Probably different observers can point to other moments that were wake-up calls for them.  It's interesting to me that people who are in these communities don't see the similarities.  
Me: Ivan, you’re being patronizing. 

Ivan: You’re unreasonable. 

Well gee, how can I argue with such a response? 

You guys keep trying to change the key take away of that story --its not working -

There's only one religion that advocates for sexualizing children: this new woke religion.  Everybody else -- Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Confucians, atheists, agnostics, whatever -- maintains a taboo against this sort of thing.
All true.   Too bad it doesn't stop a some of them for doing it and/or protecting those that do.

On the flip side, it would be nice (or at least you probably can admit improve the optics a bit) if people seemed equally concerned about the oversexualizing of kids in any context - ie our examples about dance teams, etc..     Without fail the examples and outrage that we see are oral sex in a book (in an LGBTQ book), over sexualization (at a drag queen event),  etc.  

IF it was truly about oversexualization of kids, you would think the examples of things like the pageants and dance teams would affect more of these teens and have a bigger impact on helping them.  :shrug:   

On the flip side, it would be nice (or at least you probably can admit improve the optics a bit) if people seemed equally concerned about the oversexualizing of kids in any context - ie our examples about dance teams, etc..     Without fail the examples and outrage that we see are oral sex in a book (in an LGBTQ book), over sexualization (at a drag queen event),  etc.  

IF it was truly about oversexualization of kids, you would think the examples of things like the pageants and dance teams would affect more of these teens and have a bigger impact on helping them.  :shrug:   
I think that stuff is distasteful myself. Also, I remember quite a bit of outrage by folks (mostly on the right) over the little girl dance team movie that was featured on Netflix. People were calling for boycotts of Netflix and there was stuff all over social media about it. 

A performer with large breasts dancing topless in front of an audience while spectators stuff bills into the performer’s thong sounds absolutely nothing like a strip show. 

Edit:  Again, I’m not calling for the place to be shut down or the parents to be questioned. But it sort of is what it is, which is why most of us have stated that we wouldn’t take our toddlers to the show depicted in the video. 

P.S. I’ve been to a local drag show in my town a couple times and wouldn’t have an issue taking my kids because the drag performers there were impeccably dressed and incredibly talented.
did you see the performance?  

I think that stuff is distasteful myself. Also, I remember quite a bit of outrage by folks (mostly on the right) over the little girl dance team movie that was featured on Netflix. People were calling for boycotts of Netflix and there was stuff all over social media about it. 
Cuties - right.   I remember that as well.  I thought a little bit of that was scenes outside the dance stuff, involving non-hetero relations,  but not 100% sure.   I forgot about that example - thanks.   I also remember asking (or thinking) where there the outcry over the actual real life ones taking place, not fictionalized one on the TV.  

P.S. I also didn’t take my toddlers to violent movies, nude beaches, edgy fashion shows or Jesus indoctrination camps. Just in case there are any accusations of hypocrisy. 

Cuties - right.   I remember that as well.  I thought a little bit of that was scenes outside the dance stuff, involving no-hetero relations,  but not 100% sure.   I forgot about that example - thanks.   I also remember asking (or thinking) where there the outcry over the actual real life ones taking place, not fictionalized one on the TV.  
Honestly, I’ve never been to one of those so it’s hard for me to have informed outrage. But based on my exposure to Sparkle Motion, I have concerns. 

I saw the video. And the level of nudity was not something I saw at the couple fabulous drag shows I’ve attended lately. 
right, but:

1) it's less nudity than one would find on the public beach 5 miles away.

2) the video did not include any sexually suggestive dancing.  Heck, it didn't include any dancing whatsoever.

3) the video did not show anyone slipping money into her g-string.  For all we know, she put those dollar bills there herself (because she doesn't have pockets). 

all the video shows is a scantily clad woman walking with a little girl (who may or may not be her daughter).

To my point, it just gets me question things if:

1.  It's all about outcry against oversexualization - why isn't there as much focus on way more common things?

2.  If it's all about indoctrination - why are the same people not focusing in on other forms of indoctrination - ie religion?

That's all I and other are questioning when we see examples like this of people wanting this done to protect the kids, or stop over sexualizing them, or stop indoctrination.  

P.S. I also didn’t take my toddlers to violent movies, nude beaches, edgy fashion shows or Jesus indoctrination camps. Just in case there are any accusations of hypocrisy. 
I don't either.  

My entire premise is this: I recognize that here are families that would, and I'm not one to dictate what is right/wrong.

1.  It's all about outcry against oversexualization - why isn't there as much focus on way more common things?

2.  If it's all about indoctrination - why are the same people not focusing in on other forms of indoctrination - ie religion?

That's all I and other are questioning when we see examples like this of people wanting this done to protect the kids, or stop over sexualizing them, or stop indoctrination.  
the outcry is 100% because DeSantis wanted to do something about something he saw on libsoftiktok.  That's it.  Not all that different than what he did about Disney/Ready Creek. 

It's a clear pattern of using the powers of the state to punish businesses that don't conform to his code of morality.

right, but:

1) it's less public nudity than one would find on the public beach 5 miles away.

2) the video did not include any sexually suggestive dancing.  Heck, it didn't include any dancing whatsoever.

3) the video did not show anyone slipping money into her g-string.  For all we know, she put those dollar bills there herself (because she doesn't have pockets). 

all the video shows is a scantily clad woman walking with a little girl (who may or may not be her daughter).
1) Okay. And I would have concerns with toddlers being present at a nude beach. Particularly if the nude beach catered to them with a kids menu. 

2) A topless, well-endowed performer strutting in front of a crowd of spectators for what is obviously “titillating” entertainment is, to me, sexually suggestive by its very nature. But that may be my hormones talking. 

3) Yes, perhaps patrons are tipping her, and she is putting the bills in her own g-string. Also completely inconsistent with a strip show!

Scantily clad? Come on. I’m on your side on the overall topic! But when you try to argue that this is not at least strip-show adjacent, you just lose credibility. 

And again, I’m not arguing for the place to be shut down. But I’m glad that it appears that the establishment has toned down their show since they are catering to children. 

1) Okay. And I would have concerns with toddlers being present at a nude beach. Particularly if the nude beach catered to them with a kids menu. 

2) A topless, well-endowed performer strutting in front of a crowd of spectators for what is obviously “titillating” entertainment is, to me, sexually suggestive by its very nature. But that may be my hormones talking. 

3) Yes, perhaps patrons are tipping her, and she is putting the bills in her own g-string. Also completely inconsistent with a strip show!

Scantily clad? Come on. I’m on your side on the overall topic! But when you try to argue that this is not at least strip-show adjacent, you just lose credibility. 

And again, I’m not arguing for the place to be shut down. But I’m glad that it appears that the establishment has toned down their show since they are catering to children. 
haha, I said it was strip club adjacent on Saturday :)

I don't either.  

My entire premise is this: I recognize that here are families that would, and I'm not one to dictate what is right/wrong.
I’m with you as far as what should be outlawed or not outlawed. But I have no problem saying something is wrong if I believe it to be so. I think the situation depicted in that video is wrong. Period. But I also think Desantis’ approach to this is wrong. Just because I disagree with Desantis in particular or hostility to transgenders and cross-dressers generally doesn’t mean I have to defend what I consider indefensible. I’m not loyal to a team in that way. Never will be. 

I get to tell you what to do. 

You don't get to tell me what to do. 

All very simple and consistent in that paradigm. 

Who are you talking about?  Desantis?  Posters here?  Me?  I get pissed when I’m watching a horror movie at the theater and there are little kids in the audience. The Jesus Camp video is absolutely sickening to me. If folks want to start a thread about those issues, I will happily offer my opinions. 

As I noted in my response to Tim, in the one case I looked in to the victim was murdered in her condo.  I don't think most people who hate trans take the time to break in to their condo to kill them.  I just don't.  Now, you're acknowledging that there is no evidence that ANY of these people were murdered due to being trans.  Come on man.  You're an attorney.  You should know better.  Stay with me here.  It's actually possible that these people are just part of the larger pool of murdered people.   Just because they're trans doesn't insulate them from the variables of life we all deal with daily, including the slight possibility of getting murdered. 

Because I'm an attorney I know the difference between the evidence required to send someone to prison in a particular case and commenting on obvious and undeniable larger trends.

There's overwhelming evidence that trans people are targeted for violence at a rate much higher than cisgender people. I put names and faces on the trend to make it more real and Florida-specific, but ultimately my point only depends on that indisputable fact.

It’s not a “political purpose” to suspect that this person was murdered because they were trans, since we all know this happens more than a little in our society. 
Actually it only happens a little that they are murdered at all, let alone proven for being trans. 

You have fallen for a myth. 

I’m more spiritual than religious,  but I can’t compare sexual suggestive clubs to a church in terms of indoctrination.

Nudity does not necessarily equate sexual.   

I'm kind of reminded by the times people have thrown a fit about women breastfeeding in public. 

The age of the kid (3 or 4?) in the vid kind of makes it a non story IMO.  No way she remembers that day as anything special.  Now, a 9 or 10 year old boy... that brunch might make an impression on him.  

dkp993 said:
At a beach or home while say mom is changing. No. But that is a highly sexualized environment so yes. Context absolutely matters. Much like the difference between say watching a nature documentary and they show a tribe where the women are topless vs an R rated move with strong sexual overtones.
Ok, so I have a better understanding of your comfort meter, but you still need to show me evidence of harm. Otherwise you're simply demanding that others adhere to what you're comfortable with.
I think that one could argue that sexual repression leads to more issues than being open with sexuality. I watched the video and it didn't look much different than what is on TV all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread