What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (2 Viewers)

Rd 5 Melodrama by Lorde (2017)
Broadcast the boom boom boom boom and make 'em all dance to it

Down the back, but who cares—still the Louvre

I think it's the maturation of wit mixed with a sort of proper mischief that makes this album so appealing.

A couple rebel top gun pilots
Flying with nowhere to be, uh-uh
Don't know you super well
But I think that you might be the same as me
Behave abnormally

So many instantly good lyrics from that album, and I'm not a lyrics guy. It's the rare sly wit. Must be. 

Broadcast the boom boom boom boom and make 'em all dance to it

Down the back, but who cares—still the Louvre

I think it's the maturation of wit mixed with a sort of proper mischief that makes this album so appealing.

A couple rebel top gun pilots
Flying with nowhere to be, uh-uh
Don't know you super well
But I think that you might be the same as me
Behave abnormally

So many instantly good lyrics from that album, and I'm not a lyrics guy. It's the rare sly wit. Must be. 
Is she the first artist to get two albums drafted? She deserves it IMO.

Good catch. I forgot they had 2 good albums this decade, I always think of them as being from the aughts. 
I'm actually interested in Eephus's decade counter, as most of the stuff I've targeted is from the early aughts and tends to be either a culmination of the creative process throughout the aughts as a decade, therefore, as you said, seeming like an aughts band; or that the band began this decade and the band has output that wasn't as exceptional later in the decade. That sentence needs editing. Regardless, I've got a lot of 2010-2 in queue, it seems.

I'm thinking there's a sharp dividing line in one popular genre in 2012 that goes back to one artist and one album I heard every damn moment, but that's for another time.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually interested in Eephus's decade counter, as most of the stuff I've targeted is from the early aughts and tends to be either a culmination of the creative process throughout the aughts as a decade, therefore, as you said, seeming like an aughts band, or the beginning of this decade with output that might have gotten extra weight or less that petered out as such for those particular bands as the output went on later in the decade. That sentence needs editing. Regardless, I've got a lot of 2010-2 in queue, it seems.

I'm thinking there's a sharp dividing line in one popular genre in 2012 that goes back to one artist and one album I heard every damn moment, but that's for another time.  
I have already taken 2 2012 albums and have several more in mind. It's far and away my favorite year of the decade.

I'm taking this about 15 rounds earlier than necessary but it's the most indespensible album of the decade left for me.

It didn't get a ton of love when it first came out but with time it's got the recognition as the modern classic it is and this bands best work. Another Toronto band for me, I've seen them many times over the years, including seeing this played in entirety. Not a band song on the album.

5.10 - Tokyo Police Club - Champ (2010)

Bambi

Frankenstein

Breakneck Speed

Decade bookends for these makeup picks. Not much in the way of writeups, but both albums rule.

4.13 Helado Negro, This is How You Smile (2019)

Running

Please Won't Please

País Nublado

Chillest, warmest vibes to balance out my essentially synth-fueled neon island. 

5.03 Les Savy Fav, Root for Ruin (2010)

High and Unhinged

Let's Get Out of Here

Just a kick-### record. The two songs above are among my favorites of theirs.

Decade bookends for these makeup picks. Not much in the way of writeups, but both albums rule.

4.13 Helado Negro, This is How You Smile (2019)

Running

Please Won't Please

País Nublado

Chillest, warmest vibes to balance out my essentially synth-fueled neon island. 

High and Unhinged

Let's Get Out of Here

Just a kick-### record. The two songs above are among my favorites of theirs.
Dammit...completely forgot about LSF, and maybe even completely lacking in my Spotify playlists...so forgotten for a decade or so Great pick.

5.13 - Divine Fits - A Thing Called Divine Fits (2012)

A supergroup fronted by Britt Daniel of Spoon and Dan Boeckner of Handsome Furs/Wolf Parade/Operators that holds its own with the other projects from the individual artists.  The approaches of Daniel and Boeckner are sympatico making it sound more like a real band than a couple of guys who got together as a one-off.  One big reason is drummer Sam Brown who stayed with Boeckner when he formed Operators.

The songs are mostly up tempo rockers that combine Boeckner's electrorock influences with Daniel's more organic sounds.  Producer Nick Launay who's worked on as many great post-punk records as anyone delivers the right doses of flash and trash. 

Would That Not Be Nice

My Love Is Real

Shivers

Rd 5 - Jeff Rosenstock - WORRY. (2016)

I credit Pitchfork with introducing me to this one and I’ll paste a portion of their rave review below, which I’ve also helpfully distilled to its essence with my added bolded emphasis. 

...WORRY. isn’t an obvious crossover attempt. Rosenstock touches on almost every intersection of pop and punk, whether or not it’s credible: there are flashes of Jawbreaker’s real-talk scene reportage, the synth-spiked sugar rushes of the Anniversary and the Get Up Kids, but also previously canonical touchstones that have become relegated to Boomerism nostalgia: the Beach Boys, the Clash, and Abbey Road. After the beer-hoisting nostalgia of “Blast Damage Days,” WORRY. unexpectedly (and hilariously) hits double time and tries to cram Rosenstock’s entire discography into a Side B medley, breathlessly running through Twista-paced spitfire punk, 30-second blasts of D-beat hardcore and an unashamedly infectious ska song...

...Punk usually has to sound serious to be taken seriously, and WORRY. is stuffed with so with many sugarcoated melodies it’s almost headache-inducing. Yet there isn’t a single insubstantial lyric here: it’s a record about New York gentrification, the internet, police brutality, liberal guilt, DIY idealism—crucial subject matter that typically inspire chin-stroking appreciation or eye-rolls because of their self-serious delivery.

Instead, WORRY. is an absolute blast and its heaviest stories are presented as some of the most devastating breakup songs of the past year...
I’m going to cheat and post a live rendition of the side B medley because it rules and gives a better feel for the album than any 3 song selection would.

5 Incredible Songs in a Row

I credit Pitchfork with introducing me to this one and I’ll paste a portion of their rave review below, which I’ve also helpfully distilled to its essence with my added bolded emphasis. 

I’m going to cheat and post a live rendition of the side B medley because it rules and gives a better feel for the album than any 3 song selection would.

@Jaysus bat signal

OK to skip my round 6, i just changed my mind 3 times on my pick here and now i have to make dinner. I’ll post later tonight.

The Dreaded Marco said:
6.04  The Walkmen - Heaven (2012)

When I look at their discography it's hard to argue that they're not one of my favorite bands of this century---consistently great.  The only one I don't love is the Harry Nilsson cover album.
Agreed on the favorite bands of the century.

Abrantes said:
Another great band I keep forgetting about for these drafts. 

The Dreaded Marco said:
5.12  John Murry - The Graceless Age (2012)
The Graceless Age isn't on Spotify which is why the archipelago is strictly physical media

The voice is very familiar.  I think I listened to Murry after you picked him in a different draft.  I don't favorite enough stuff on Spotify because the one long list they provide reached a point of diminishing returns.  One downside of music consumption this decade is a lot of great stuff goes in one ear and out the other.  If there's a way to export my current favorites list and start the decade anew, I'd consider it.

Let's clear the chamber and go back to single picks with informal two hour clock on Monday.

Nice movement over the weekend except for Tasker.

D_House said:

My #2 AoTD ;)

You guys can skip me if ever I'm dragging the draft down.  No worries and I'll jump back in when I can.  

I've got some ideas in my head, let me do some quick research and pick.  

Ok, to keep things moving give me

6.06 Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital (2011)

Eephus beat me to first Dan Boeckner album off the board, it says something that this is my favorite of his 2010s output, given who he worked with and how many albums he had a hand in. His solo stuff comes close but nothing matches the urgency of the songs on this album imo.

What About Us

Serve the People

Cheap Music (this link has the NSFW album cover)

5.15 TV on the Radio - Seeds 2014

First heard this band in the mid 2000s and despite hearing all the glowing accolades for them, I just didn't quite get it.  I dismissed them rather quickly and searched for other new sounds and artists.  Then a few years into the teens, I heard Happy Idiot on the radio of all places, loved it and began my reintroduction into TV on the Radio.  I don't think Seeds is their best, but it'll do and there are some absolute standouts for me on this one.  

Check out this live version of Could You in studio.  

This one was their first album after the death of bandmate Gerard Smith, and, well, I'll let Rolling Stone do the talking for me here:

TV on the Radio’s fifth studio album is the sound of healing – but first, it’s the sound of a band going over its wounds, and boy, do they run deep. On opener “Quartz,” singer Tunde Adebimpe cries, “How much do I love you?/How hard must we try?” over intense percussion; on standout cut “Careful You,” an industrial groove backs a series of manic pleas: “Can we talk?/Can we not? . . . Won’t you tell me right now?” It isn’t until halfway through Seeds, on “Ride,” that the heartache cools into an instrumental wash, followed by a melody so bright and optimistic you can almost picture a Lisa Frank unicorn prancing in.

These emotional swings, from song to song, lyric to lyric, are nothing new for the Brooklyn quartet. But they have an extra resonance on the band’s first LP since losing bassist Gerard Smith to cancer in 2011. TV on the Radio spent much of the past three years taking it slow, releasing a couple of one-off singles and playing a handful of festival dates. In some ways, Seeds is a tentative return: There are fewer risks taken here than on previous albums (though the New Wave chase “Happy Idiot” and the Ramones-y “Lazerray” are worthy exceptions). TVOTR’s boldest move this time around is starting over. “Rain comes down like it always does,” Adebimpe sings on the title track. “This time I’ve got seeds on ground.”           
Alright, I got some of my favorite bands on the island and I think I'm going to surprise some with the next pick.....

Sorry for going off the grid, been out of the office and don't check in much here when I'm at home.  I'll hipple and catch up slowly.

6.01 Taylor Swift - Red 2012

Alright, for many many many years I was WAY too cool for disposable pop stars, especially the Britney/Christina/Jessicas of the world.  I considered the music trash, pooh-poohed the lip-synching and cancelled my subscription to Rolling Stone after a decades long relationship that started in 7th grade because they put Brittney Spears on their cover.  Again.  That was enough for me.  

I knew next to nothing about Taylor Swift since she debuted other than that weird incident she had on stage with Kanye.  I just assumed she was another media created pop star who would fade away after her 15 minutes of fame like the majority of them.  And unlike others, I probably never even heard one of her songs.  I just stereotyped her and rolled my eyes hearing her name.

But a funny thing happened to me.  I had a daughter.  And of my 5 kids, it's only my 7 year old daughter who seems to share the music nerd genes of mine.  And over the last 3 years, she's not only gotten me out of my musical comfort zone, but she's turned me into an incredible fan of pop.  Our nighttime routine involves reading first and then watching 3-4 music videos before she falls asleep.  It's the favorite part of my day most days.  She's got her own Alexa and I love just standing outside of her bedroom door and listening to her command Alexa to play songs that she loves.  The smile on my face is robust with pride.  Finally, ONE kid who loves music as much as I do.  

So, if I'm on a deserted island I'm going to need some of my daughter's music to warm my heart and in my mind, there is no better artist out there that fits this genre than Taylor Swift.  She is sensational.  Red is my favorite of hers, though it's close and I might not be done drafting her work - I'm unapologetic about how much I enjoy her music.

Saving Grace - I f'n love this song.  There's an acoustic version too, but this is the one that kicks the album off and it's wonderful.

Title Track - I've had this song stuck in my head for days on end and it suits me fine.  

22 - Music can be fun.  That's what this song is - it's fun!

It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
And make fun of our exes
Uh-uh, uh-uh
It feels like a perfect night for breakfast at midnight
To fall in love with strangers
Uh-uh, uh-uh

Yeah
We're happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time  :lmao:
It's miserable and magical, oh yeah
Tonight's the night when we forget about the deadlines
It's time
Uh-oh

The entire album is fantastic.  There's not a bad song on there.  IMO. 

Also, we had a small party Saturday and I put Beth Hart on Spotify to the delight of our guests.  Ms. Hart has some new fans this weekend, including my dad and my sister, who like Beth, is in recovery and thriving without an addiction dragging her down.  :thumbup:

Ok, to keep things moving give me

6.06 Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital (2011)

Eephus beat me to first Dan Boeckner album off the board, it says something that this is my favorite of his 2010s output, given who he worked with and how many albums he had a hand in. His solo stuff comes close but nothing matches the urgency of the songs on this album imo.

What About Us

Serve the People

Cheap Music (this link has the NSFW album cover)
Dangit. Was in the running for my next pick. Noticed Eeph broke the Boeckner seal too. Fantastic album.

I think either Abrantes is up with his third, or I'm up. Flop went with his third, as did simey, and Abrantes went, but that was his second. I'm not really sure where to go here.

Probably should just pick

3.05 - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West - 2010
Have no idea how this lasted this far.  Was strong consideration for my first round pick.

Love the Savages getting taken, another band I was looking at for this spot.  Seems like there is 3-4 artists taken already where I had their other album ranked slightly ahead of the one drafted, but they are close and of course there are no wrong answers here.  

Will go in a different direction and hope one of those albums drops to the next pick.  Instead I will take those hard rockin' Brighton boys that hooked me right away with a sound that struck with a QotSA sound, but was surprised it was just 2 of them playing.  

5.XX:  ROYAL BLOOD - ROYAL BLOOD (2014)

Figure it Out

Out of the Black

Loose Change
I once got hit in the bare chest by a drumstick thrown into the crowd by their drummer while not paying attention while drinking beers with @Northern Voice

2.09 - HAIM - Days Are Gone (2013)

I thought this album was pretty good when it came out.   7 years later,  it's one of my all-time favorites.  Almost picked it over Grimes in the first round, but I figured Grimes was a bigger snipe possibility....and no one's picked it during my extended absence, so I'm lucky.  Album is known for the handful of hits, but the entire album is still fantastic, top to bottom.

Plenty of great pop albums have been taken so far....Lorde, Robyn, CHVRCHES, etc.....happy to get my personal favorite of the bunch after all is said and done.

"Running If You Call My Name" (Live in Brussels)

"Forever"

"Falling"

"Let Me Go" (Live at SXSW)

Users who are viewing this thread