What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (2 Viewers)

2.09 - HAIM - Days Are Gone (2013)

I thought this album was pretty good when it came out.   7 years later,  it's one of my all-time favorites.  Almost picked it over Grimes in the first round, but I figured Grimes was a bigger snipe possibility....and no one's picked it during my extended absence, so I'm lucky.  Album is known for the handful of hits, but the entire album is still fantastic, top to bottom.

Plenty of great pop albums have been taken so far....Lorde, Robyn, CHVRCHES, etc.....happy to get my personal favorite of the bunch after all is said and done.

"Running If You Call My Name" (Live in Brussels)

"Forever"

"Falling"

"Let Me Go" (Live at SXSW)
nice...on my short list of next picks..

Last edited by a moderator:
2.09 - HAIM - Days Are Gone (2013)

I thought this album was pretty good when it came out.   7 years later,  it's one of my all-time favorites.  Almost picked it over Grimes in the first round, but I figured Grimes was a bigger snipe possibility....and no one's picked it during my extended absence, so I'm lucky.  Album is known for the handful of hits, but the entire album is still fantastic, top to bottom.

Plenty of great pop albums have been taken so far....Lorde, Robyn, CHVRCHES, etc.....happy to get my personal favorite of the bunch after all is said and done.

"Running If You Call My Name" (Live in Brussels)

"Forever"

"Falling"

"Let Me Go" (Live at SXSW)
adding my fave, the wire:

https://youtu.be/1TffpkE2GU4

3.07 - Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe (2013)

Not sure if this is on anyone's radar, but another of my all-time favorites.  I've drafted probably every song off of this album at one point or another in previous drafts here, because it's great.  The album is kinda all over the place in terms of genre, but it works.

"You're Not Good Enough" - the bread and butter

"Time Will Tell" - this song was recorded in 1 take

"Chosen" - this entire music video is scenes from the film Basquiat and it's perfect

"High Street (feat. Skepta)" - a mid-album detour foray into grime

Rd 6 Are We There by Sharon Van Etten (2014)

genre: indie rock, folk rock

punishing epic of an album, intense and bruised and haunted -Pitchfork 

But while distance in time informs her perspective, what makes Van Etten great as a lyricist is how she doesn’t lose touch with the moment. Are We There shows love in all its comfort and all its betrayal, and in time, that just isn’t how we usually remember things. We focus on the good or the bad, we think how foolish we were, but Van Etten captures a relationship as if she were at sea in the midst of its hurricane and safe on shore in the aftermath, simultaneously. - Consequence of Sound 

Our Love

Your Love is Killing Me

Taking Chances

Alright Cupid Deluxe being taken makes this easier, although I would have linked to Chamakay

Rd 6 - Phosphorescent - Muchacho (2013)

Found this artist through that separate FBG music lovers forum - thehoof - in the late aughts. Someone posted Phosphorescent’s Willy Nelson covers album To Willy and something about Matthew Houck’s sound, especially in combo with Willy’s songwriting spoke to me. I went through the rest of the catalogue and it wasn’t until this album that I think Houck’s own songwriting truly melded with his sound to make something outstanding.

Song for Zula

Ride On/Right On

A New Anhedonia

We doing 10 rounds?

Alright Cupid Deluxe being taken makes this easier, although I would have linked to Chamakay

Rd 6 - Phosphorescent - Muchacho
List the year before The Commish sees this, he don’t take kindly to careless omissions and he’s got a full chamber. 

6.11 - Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper - 2015

Noah Lennox contemplates death on this beautifully constructed Beach Boys-meets-hip hop/house album. Lots of mid-tempo yet propulsive beats, positively grimy on certain tracks. Thoughtful and ascending hip-hopped out tracks "Mr Noah" and "Boys Latin" create an atmosphere nonpareil. Narrow selection over his (don't spotlight! K. Done)...

"[these songs], couched in heaven-sent harmonies, provide a sense comfort in the face of encroaching chaos, and strive to connect our physical world to a more celestial plane." - Pitchfork

Mr Noah

Crosswords

Boys Latin

6.01 Taylor Swift - Red 2012

Alright, for many many many years I was WAY too cool for disposable pop stars, especially the Britney/Christina/Jessicas of the world.  I considered the music trash, pooh-poohed the lip-synching and cancelled my subscription to Rolling Stone after a decades long relationship that started in 7th grade because they put Brittney Spears on their cover.  Again.  That was enough for me.  

I knew next to nothing about Taylor Swift since she debuted other than that weird incident she had on stage with Kanye.  I just assumed she was another media created pop star who would fade away after her 15 minutes of fame like the majority of them.  And unlike others, I probably never even heard one of her songs.  I just stereotyped her and rolled my eyes hearing her name.
I certainly wasn't expecting one of you guys to take her. She definitely isn't disposable. I don't know her music much other than what I have heard her sing live on TV shows, but I do know she started young as a pop country musician before turning totally pop, and she writes all her music. Recently she has been in the news, because the record label she was on was sold, and her masters were sold with the label meaning she doesn't own the rights to all her music for that label. She is now on another label, and has a deal that her masters can never be sold. She is still fighting her past label for the rights to her songs. Anyway, although I don't listen to her music, I think she is super talented. I liken her to Lady Gaga. I think she is so talented, but I don't seek her out to listen to, but I have heard songs from her before that I think are catchy tunes.

Y'all clearly intercepted the boat that was headed to my island with these past few picks, but I'm cool with it.  :thumbup:

Oh dude, I messed up. Thought D_House was landrys hat. It's been a tired day. Beg your pardon. I see landrys hat has made his pick, which would still put flop on the clock, or up next. I'm not sure which.

My apologies again. 

Hey guys!  Just thought I'd pop in and say hi.  I was in the original Desert Island Draft, think it was around 2003 or so.  Anyway, I don't think I've heard a single album in this draft so far.   :bag:

I guess I can use it to learn up what's the happening musaq these days  :nerd:

Hey guys!  Just thought I'd pop in and say hi.  I was in the original Desert Island Draft, think it was around 2003 or so.  Anyway, I don't think I've heard a single album in this draft so far.   :bag:

Hey Tbone!  :hey:  

Welcome back.  Where you been?  Have you heard from @Uncle Humuna?

6.09 - Waxahatchee - Ivy Tripp (2015)

I no longer have any idea what albums on my list are snipe targets.  I feel like this album would complement Snail Mail pretty well on the island, a veritable peanut butter and jelly sandwich of mildly depressing emotional indie rock.

You take what you want
You wear it out
I'm not trying to be a rose
You see me how
I wish I was
But I'm not trying to be seen
You take what you want
You call me back
I'm not trying to be yours

"Poison" (Live)

"Breathless"

"Bonfire"

"La Loose"

I am having trouble picking which one from this band I wanted to go with.  A part of me was hoping somebody would pick another one and narrow it down for me.  Depending on my mood it would be a different album I would want, but as of this second I will pick:

6.8:  THE NATIONAL - TROUBLE WILL FIND ME (2013)

Don't Swallow the Cap

Pink Rabbits

I Need My Girl

No Age- everything in between (2010)

When I first heard these guys I thought...yeah. I think it was piratemike who was really into them, so without any prodding I listened more, right around when nouns came out. When this one dropped, I was all in, especially on the back of fever dreaming (another top tune of the decade for me). Took me until the last couple years to find out theyre only a duo. Lots of noise for only two guys.

:thumbup:

I gotta add to my shortlist, 'cause it's getting mighty tiny, but I'll stay on-brand for this one. Love their sound. "In Undertow" was easily one of my favorite songs of that year (and I can't knock those who put "Dreams Tonite" above it).

Also my second band going YOLO with how the letter "v" is supposed to work.

6.13 Alvvays, Antisocialites (2017)

In Undertow

Dreams Tonite

Not My Baby

landrys hat said:
6.10 Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic (2013)

I hadn't listened to this one in a while, but started a list and put this on it.  I think I've listened to it everyday for the last week.  So good.  That dang San Francisco song gets stuck in my head for days.

No Destruction

San Francisco

Oh Yeah
This sounds like somebody got a hold of Pavement and injected them with pop music serum and hooks meds. Holy cow is this ever almost inimitable and good! I think I'd seen them late night one night and passed them by a bit, but "No Destruction" and especially "San Francisco" makes an indie head/popster head tilt like a dog's to a screen while going "aroo?"

KarmaPolice said:
I am having trouble picking which one from this band I wanted to go with.  A part of me was hoping somebody would pick another one and narrow it down for me.  Depending on my mood it would be a different album I would want, but as of this second I will pick:

6.8:  THE NATIONAL - TROUBLE WILL FIND ME (2013)
I am shocked they lasted that long on this board ;)

Album: Warm

Artist: Jeff Tweedy

Release Year: 2018

Some Birds

I Know What It's Like

Warm (When The Sun Has Died)

Wilco has been my favorite "new" band since 1996 - it's likely time I drop the disclaimer and just call them one of my top 10 bands. They put out a couple of good albums this decade but I'd have to admit their older stuff does more for me. However this Tweedy solo record goes back to the sound I loved with Wilco. Jeff Tweedy was one of my five most listened to artists in 2019 according to Spotify and he only has two records that would qualify (I don't think the Tweedy album with his son on drums factors in). Of course that also had a lot to do with Together At Last a live acoustic record where he plays Wilco songs that I absolutely love but doesn't qualify in this draft - and if it does, since they're not exactly "hits", it's borderline and decided not to push boundaries.

Users who are viewing this thread