What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desmond Bishop (1 Viewer)

Bdub

Footballguy
I've have a thread in the assistant forum regarding a trade that I'm working on involving Desmond Bishop. I'm not asking for advice here on whether to do it or not, but more about what you guys think about Bishop this year.

He signed a nice starter's contract. So did Hawk. And it appears that even if Barnett sticks around, he'll be just a backup. It's pretty obvious that he's going to be starting inside on first and second downs. For some reason, I'm still a little nervous that another linebacker like Chillar or one of the other ones will sneak into his third down work.

Do you guys think he's going to turn into a huge beast, posting 100+ solos and a decent amount of big plays? Or is there just as much of a chance that he's a base inside LB who will post 80 solo's with little to no sacks?

My league has very heavy IDP scoring, and if Bishop is a real deal top 5 potential LB, I'm not so sure I want to trade him. If he's just an average decent starting fantasy LB, I'll find 2 more just like him at some point.

Jene, thoughts?

He signed a nice starter's contract. So did Hawk. And it appears that even if Barnett sticks around, he'll be just a backup. It's pretty obvious that he's going to be starting inside on first and second downs. For some reason, I'm still a little nervous that another linebacker like Chillar or one of the other ones will sneak into his third down work.
I think Bishop is an every down player this year. He improved in that role last year and looked strong enough on tape. The coaches had good things to say this winter and his contract extension is almost certainly that of a full time starter. I'd be more worried about Chillar than Barnett, and Hawk has never showed the range to threaten for a huge tackle season.100 solos might be pushing it with his likely below average team tackle opportunity, but I think he's a pretty clear LB2 with top 12 upside.

I think Bishop is an every down player this year. He improved in that role last year and looked strong enough on tape. The coaches had good things to say this winter and his contract extension is almost certainly that of a full time starter. I'd be more worried about Chillar than Barnett, and Hawk has never showed the range to threaten for a huge tackle season.100 solos might be pushing it with his likely below average team tackle opportunity, but I think he's a pretty clear LB2 with top 12 upside.
Considering he didn't start till week 5, from there out his avg. was 3rd best LB right behind Timmons.

LB1 with easy top-10 production potential. If you haven't gotten him yet, it might be too late. Buy low or hold.

Never really heard of this guy until I looked at the IDP rankings a week ago, and Im pretty familiar with all the LBs in the top 30 so I was surprised to see him ranked 4th. Was able to get him after the rest of the league picked their 2 LBs. Im excited to see what he can do this year :popcorn:

'Kenny Powers said:
Never really heard of this guy until I looked at the IDP rankings a week ago, and Im pretty familiar with all the LBs in the top 30 so I was surprised to see him ranked 4th. Was able to get him after the rest of the league picked their 2 LBs. Im excited to see what he can do this year :popcorn:
He's good. Solid tackler, pretty good in coverage, always seems to be around the ball. I tried to trade Vilma for him in my dynasty league a few weeks ago and was turned down. :( Have him in my keep 4 O & D league, and kept him over guys like Stephen Tulloch, Umeniyora, etc. (easy call admittedly).. Great pick that late, he'll get more hype this year I bet.

'Kenny Powers said:
He's good. Solid tackler, pretty good in coverage, always seems to be around the ball. I tried to trade Vilma for him in my dynasty league a few weeks ago and was turned down. :( Have him in my keep 4 O & D league, and kept him over guys like Stephen Tulloch, Umeniyora, etc. (easy call admittedly).. Great pick that late, he'll get more hype this year I bet.
Packers were in danger of him becoming a FA(Like Rodgers when Favre was still here) so had to get him some playing time. The last several years he was a PS star making plays but not solid enough to start.This year it's So'Oto making plays at OLB in preseason. Bishop was a 6th round pick-could be mainly why most never heard of him.

'Kenny Powers said:
Packers were in danger of him becoming a FA(Like Rodgers when Favre was still here) so had to get him some playing time. The last several years he was a PS star making plays but not solid enough to start.This year it's So'Oto making plays at OLB in preseason. Bishop was a 6th round pick-could be mainly why most never heard of him.
what are your thoughts on him as a mainstay MLB for IDP purposes?

what are your thoughts on him as a mainstay MLB for IDP purposes?
He just signed an extension so the Pack certainly views him as a fixture for the next few seasons.In Capers version of the 3-3-5 he's probably as good a shot to put up numbers as any 3-4 WILB not named Willis. Better in subpackages than I expected.Top 20 routinely, with a couple top 10-15ish seasons? Something like that.

Got him in the last round of our 12-team draft. We have 25 total rounds with 6 defensive starters to fill, so I was lucky. Now I'm trying to consider who to drop since I still need a kicker.

Has anyone heard why Des Bishop used SF City College instead of Cal Berkeley in the intros during the GB/NO game??

Last edited by a moderator:
Bishop wasn't doing much stat-wise in the first half when NO was in pass/catchup mode, but he ramped it up nicely in the second half when NO ran the ball a bit more.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pay close attention, can anyone confirm whether Bishop was on the field in all the GB sub-packages?

Bishop wasn't doing much stat-wise in the first half when NO was in pass/catchup mode, but he ramped it up nicely in the second half when NO ran the ball a bit more.Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pay close attention, can anyone confirm whether Bishop was on the field in all the GB sub-packages?
I know he was in for every snap on NO's last two drives.ETA - I also noticed Brees didn't throw his way much. He appeared to be doing quite well in coverage, except on the TD to Graham where he followed him into the end zone, but not sure that was his responsibility as Woodson was in the vicinity as well.

BobMcGinn Bob McGinn

The #Packers played just one snap of base 3-4 vs. NO. All rest 4-2 except for GL-SY. Raji-Pickett man-mountain act enables Capers to do it.

11 hours ago

from twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/BobMcGinn

haha...but according to profootballfocus....

The Packers used a 2-4-5 package on 80.3% of plays. They used a base 3-4 on just one play.

I'm sure bob is just reading the olb as de, and I'm not sure how relevant the distiction is.

Bishop wasn't doing much stat-wise in the first half when NO was in pass/catchup mode, but he ramped it up nicely in the second half when NO ran the ball a bit more.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pay close attention, can anyone confirm whether Bishop was on the field in all the GB sub-packages?
BobMcGinn Bob McGinn

The #Packers played just one snap of base 3-4 vs. NO. All rest 4-2 except for GL-SY. Raji-Pickett man-mountain act enables Capers to do it.

11 hours ago

from twitter

Bishop played every down. Somewhat interestingly, so did Hawk I think. I thought there were issues for each in coverage, though Bishop on the whole looked better. Bishop was pretty clearly the better run defender to me.

BobMcGinn Bob McGinn

11 hours ago

from twitter

Bishop played every down. Somewhat interestingly, so did Hawk I think. I thought there were issues for each in coverage, though Bishop on the whole looked better. Bishop was pretty clearly the better run defender to me.
Hawk looked absolutely terrible, particularly in coverage. But even against the run, he was back to looking impotent out there. AJ knows where to be on most plays....he just isn't very explosive and seems unable to change direction at anything other than a snail's pace.I don't expect him to continue playing every snap, certainly not if his results continue to be weak.

Calf injury, questionable to return. He came into the game with a sore calf (was limited in practice Tuesday). Hopefully it's a minor aggravation.

To add insult to injury (literally), for some reason GB accepted a penalty on Bishop's sack. Instead of 2nd and 14, they took the penalty for 1st and 20.

Bishop has said he heard and felt a pop. Given that he likely had a minor strain already, that's really bad news. Just speculating, but it wouldn't be shocking to see him miss at least two weeks and very possibly 3-4 weeks or more if the muscle is torn.

DJ Smith replaced him and looked more comfortable and played better than Robert Francois, but neither were impressive. Smith would be the primary target, but he's extremely unlikely to produce as Bishop has. Hard to see him as more than a LB2 with lots of variance, even in an every-down role.

Bishop has said he heard and felt a pop. Given that he likely had a minor strain already, that's really bad news. Just speculating, but it wouldn't be shocking to see him miss at least two weeks and very possibly 3-4 weeks or more if the muscle is torn.DJ Smith replaced him and looked more comfortable and played better than Robert Francois, but neither were impressive. Smith would be the primary target, but he's extremely unlikely to produce as Bishop has. Hard to see him as more than a LB2 with lots of variance, even in an every-down role.
Argh that sucks. Really need Timmons to step it up now.

I was thinking he already had an MRI but I can't find results anywhere. Anyone have any news? Gotta make a decision quick, and (unless I hear different with the MRI results) I'll probably drop him based on Jene's comments above.

There have been no updates from the team on Bishop's status or results of his MRI. Hard to say whether we'll know more today or before/after tomorrow's practice.

To add insult to injury (literally), for some reason GB accepted a penalty on Bishop's sack. Instead of 2nd and 14, they took the penalty for 1st and 20.
I noticed that...i dont know which call im more angry at...the taking the penalty for 1st and 20...or the saints faking that FG...i have bishop and kasay and on statracker i was actually given the two points for the sack and then had them taken away...and then he doesnt come back out...funny thing is i lost by 1.45 points...and a sack is worth 2 pts in my league...sucks

My good man @alexmarvez spoke with #Packers ILB Desmond Bishop, who said his chances of playing this week are 50-50.

Looks like Packers will be without SILB A.J. Hawk and WILB Desmond Bishop vs. Jints Sunday. Neither practiced Friday morning in Hutson Ctr.

This tweeted by @BobMcGinn

Do you think DJ Smith steps into Bishops role full time similar to the Turkey day game??? He looked pretty comfortable to me, but I'm not close enough to the packers to know if that means he'll be the starter this week

Is this guy droppable now? I only have 2 games left and was holding him on the bench in case he came back. I could probably use the space to pick up a flex RB.

I have Bishop and won't drop him since we are allowed to keep 2 def players from different positions. But there are just 2 weeks left (in our league). If I didn't have to worry about keeping him for next year, I would have dropped him already. If you don't need him as a keeper, pick up someone else.

Anyone thinking about playing Bishop this week (assuming he continues to fully practice)?
I'm thinking about it since I held on to him, but I'm a little worried that he might re-injure his calf. Plus it's a Sunday night game with basically no chance to replace him. I'll have to see how he practices the rest of the week.

Anyone thinking about playing Bishop this week (assuming he continues to fully practice)?
I'm thinking about it. I'm worried about his calf but the way I see it is that if the team thought it might get reinjured then they wouldn't play him since he'd potentially miss all of their playoff run. If they play him then I have to believe that the doctors think he's fully healed and the chance for reinjury is small.That being said, I have Derrick Johnson on the bench and won't hesitate to swap him if there's any question about it. Like the poster said above - it being a Sunday night game for Bishop makes it rough to guess.

I have Smith, so I can wait as long as possible, but I hope we hear definitively one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread