What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desperate for a RB? (1 Viewer)

smackdaddies

Footballguy
You made it this far. Somehow you are in (or on the edge of) the playoffs. But you suck at RB. I mean it has been smoke and mirrors but you are desperate for one. Whacha gonna do?

First off, I am not talking to any of you pantywaists that play in 8 or 10 team leagues. Of course you have better choices. But it's not that hard when you play in a league that is equivalent of junior high football.

Nor am I discussing you chowder heads playing in a random online Yahoo/CBS/Whatever league, where more than half the teams are owned by pimply faced junior high brats.

I am talking about those of us who play in big boy leagues - where you have 12 or 14 or more teams. Where the owners know more about football than the owner of the Jacksonville Jags (ok, that's a pretty low bar). Where they have more natural talent than Ponder (ok, even lower bar). But lets face it - sometimes shiet happens and it's the strength of the the rest of your team, and always a little luck that has got you to this point. And you know what, right now playing the best of your league, you need to take a chance in order to win.

With that, I present your savior.

Ryan Grant.

First off, I acknowledge that this is not without risk, and yes, there are a number of reasons why this is a bad idea. Packers RB don't score. Grant has been out all year (well, a short stop w/ redskins). He is (almost) 30. Players that get brought back to teams traditionally don't do well. Alex Green has looked ok, and they have Kuhn back for short yardage. All true. But consider this...

It is going to be a cold wet day in Green Bay. There are going to be at least 3 inches of snow, possibly as much as 5 (if the storm shifts south a little, it could be 8). The wind is going to be coming in from the north, at a brisk clip. This is the first game Mr. Hawaii has played in these conditions. If you think those are good conditions to see Alex Green carry the load, you are mistaken.

Second, Ryan Grant lives for these conditions. He has always been a mudder. The majority of his 100 yard games have come in December and January.

Third, bad weather favors the offense when it comes to rushing. It is easier to block D lineman, the rusher knows where they are going and bad footing impacts the defender more.

Fourth, the passing game gets shorter and less effective in snow. Balls slip, receivers can't get up to speed, and

Like I said - this call is for people who have no choices left. What have you got to lose, other than your playoff game?

Ryan Grant. You can thank me later.

You made it this far. Somehow you are in (or on the edge of) the playoffs. But you suck at RB. I mean it has been smoke and mirrors but you are desperate for one. Whacha gonna do?First off, I am not talking to any of you pantywaists that play in 8 or 10 team leagues. Of course you have better choices. But it's not that hard when you play in a league that is equivalent of junior high football.Nor am I discussing you chowder heads playing in a random online Yahoo/CBS/Whatever league, where more than half the teams are owned by pimply faced junior high brats.I am talking about those of us who play in big boy leagues - where you have 12 or 14 or more teams. Where the owners know more about football than the owner of the Jacksonville Jags (ok, that's a pretty low bar). Where they have more natural talent than Ponder (ok, even lower bar). But lets face it - sometimes shiet happens and it's the strength of the the rest of your team, and always a little luck that has got you to this point. And you know what, right now playing the best of your league, you need to take a chance in order to win.With that, I present your savior.Ryan Grant.First off, I acknowledge that this is not without risk, and yes, there are a number of reasons why this is a bad idea. Packers RB don't score. Grant has been out all year (well, a short stop w/ redskins). He is (almost) 30. Players that get brought back to teams traditionally don't do well. Alex Green has looked ok, and they have Kuhn back for short yardage. All true. But consider this...It is going to be a cold wet day in Green Bay. There are going to be at least 3 inches of snow, possibly as much as 5 (if the storm shifts south a little, it could be 8). The wind is going to be coming in from the north, at a brisk clip. This is the first game Mr. Hawaii has played in these conditions. If you think those are good conditions to see Alex Green carry the load, you are mistaken.Second, Ryan Grant lives for these conditions. He has always been a mudder. The majority of his 100 yard games have come in December and January. Third, bad weather favors the offense when it comes to rushing. It is easier to block D lineman, the rusher knows where they are going and bad footing impacts the defender more.Fourth, the passing game gets shorter and less effective in snow. Balls slip, receivers can't get up to speed, and Like I said - this call is for people who have no choices left. What have you got to lose, other than your playoff game?Ryan Grant. You can thank me later.
LMFAO

You made it this far. Somehow you are in (or on the edge of) the playoffs. But you suck at RB. I mean it has been smoke and mirrors but you are desperate for one. Whacha gonna do?

First off, I am not talking to any of you pantywaists that play in 8 or 10 team leagues. Of course you have better choices. But it's not that hard when you play in a league that is equivalent of junior high football.

Nor am I discussing you chowder heads playing in a random online Yahoo/CBS/Whatever league, where more than half the teams are owned by pimply faced junior high brats.

I am talking about those of us who play in big boy leagues - where you have 12 or 14 or more teams. Where the owners know more about football than the owner of the Jacksonville Jags (ok, that's a pretty low bar). Where they have more natural talent than Ponder (ok, even lower bar). But lets face it - sometimes shiet happens and it's the strength of the the rest of your team, and always a little luck that has got you to this point. And you know what, right now playing the best of your league, you need to take a chance in order to win.

With that, I present your savior.

Ryan Grant.

First off, I acknowledge that this is not without risk, and yes, there are a number of reasons why this is a bad idea. Packers RB don't score. Grant has been out all year (well, a short stop w/ redskins). He is (almost) 30. Players that get brought back to teams traditionally don't do well. Alex Green has looked ok, and they have Kuhn back for short yardage. All true. But consider this...

It is going to be a cold wet day in Green Bay. There are going to be at least 3 inches of snow, possibly as much as 5 (if the storm shifts south a little, it could be 8). The wind is going to be coming in from the north, at a brisk clip. This is the first game Mr. Hawaii has played in these conditions. If you think those are good conditions to see Alex Green carry the load, you are mistaken.

Second, Ryan Grant lives for these conditions. He has always been a mudder. The majority of his 100 yard games have come in December and January.

Third, bad weather favors the offense when it comes to rushing. It is easier to block D lineman, the rusher knows where they are going and bad footing impacts the defender more.

Fourth, the passing game gets shorter and less effective in snow. Balls slip, receivers can't get up to speed, and

Like I said - this call is for people who have no choices left. What have you got to lose, other than your playoff game?

Ryan Grant. You can thank me later.
:excited: His Mudder was a Mudder

The problem wasn't in his assessment it was that GB just didn't play him. He could have easily have ahd a productive game out there last night. At least the OP took the time to put a thought together that wasn't recycled babble that everyone repeats.

It was a very unlikely call, but not crazy.

The Packers run blocking sucks. Backs like Benson try and plow and gain yards but often get nothing. Grant is better at running through small creases and picking up yards.

The last 6 games last year he averaged about 4,5ypc and Benson the rest average about 3.

Not sure Grant will be valuable until the NFL playoffs but he might be.

I put him on my bench just in case. I'd hate tp lose to someone playing Grant.

Ryan Grant and Benson are almost the same age-I was against the Benson signing. This wasn't getting younger.

Users who are viewing this thread